Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Nichael
Mar 30, 2011

mazzi Chart Czar posted:

Getting into a brand is kind of okay. Like I would have bought an 'SST' record shirt along with a 'Black Flag' shirt or a 'Alternative Tentacles' shirt from Jello Biafra's record company. Studio Gibli, gundam, Vans shoes, linux distributions are things that have their names with extra qualities to them (sorry for the vague wording), and wouldn't be surprised if people bought an 'A24' shirt.

It's just becomes really warped when it is a massive corporation: like Disney, Apple, or Sony, where it's in your face all the time. It ceases to be this fan thing, and more like, just giving into what is there. Especially when you start to take in their miserable business practices. Or the concept of "life style" brands.

I just wish I could permanently live in a Disney hellscape!

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=PsrcWUfnyZI

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Pener Kropoopkin
Jan 30, 2013

I should've figured the discourse around The Northman would be driven purely by people who haven't seen it. Anyways, I saw it, and it's totally sick. Everyone should see it.

unlimited shrimp
Aug 30, 2008

Nichael posted:

this looks like hell

Pener Kropoopkin
Jan 30, 2013

I kept looking during the Gates of Hel scene for somebody's dinger to flop around but they were wearing underwear instead. smdh. so much for "historical accuracy" :rolleyes:

Nichael posted:

so the demonic force is literally moving on from your childhood and the player character is going to save the Disneyverse with the power of nostalgia?

War and Pieces
Apr 24, 2022

DID NOT VOTE FOR FETTERMAN

TheSlutPit posted:

It also helps that the daily show started out as just a general parody of news programs/weekend update style joke show. IIRC it wasn’t until a few years into the Bush era that it started taking itself seriously and trying to bundle real talking points into the satire format.

Eventually it went to their heads sure but I do think part of the lightning-in-a-bottle was that they were basically the only news source outside of like college radio and Web 1.0 that wasn't under pressure to cheerlead for the Iraq war.

Pener Kropoopkin
Jan 30, 2013

StashAugustine posted:

I kind of wonder how many people bitching about the northman thought the witch had a happy ending

The overlap between people who think The VVitch had a happy ending and people who think Midsommar had a happy ending is one big circle.

Some Guy TT
Aug 30, 2011

i think my favorite use of breaking bad characters in better call saul is hectors supervillain grandkids because lol at the breaking bad writers coming up with those guys only to belatedly realize they were completely inappropriate for the setting

Echo Chamber
Oct 16, 2008

best username/post combo
One of the reasons why I thought The Daily Show rose above what I perceived to be milquetoast liberalism of the Bush and Obama years was Stewart's willingness to go after the media, and not just Fox News. Probably in part because of The Daily Show's relentless mockery of CNN, I underestimated how much the archetype of the noble journalist was crucial to mythmaking in the entire liberal project. After Trump won, anyone who bashed CNN as much as Jon has would have been accused of being a cryptic right winger for "sowing discord" by perpetuating mistrust in traditional media institutions, even if his criticisms of the media were kind of weak in hindsight.

During Trevor Noah's first year (well before Trump's victory was certain), the Daily Show immediately dialed back on media bashing, and it was quite noticeable even as I was still giving the new guy the benefit of the doubt.

my bony fealty
Oct 1, 2008

Some Guy TT posted:

so im reading amsterdam by ian mcewan which won the 1998 booker prize and goddamn this book is the goofiest lib poo poo

the basic story is this hot chick with a bazllion former boyfriends in london society dies from early senility and among her possessions are a bunch of pictures of her with boris johnson in drag like this is apparently boris johnsons kink is passing for a woman in public and while thats a bit of an anachronism given that one of this characters nightmare policies for destroying great britain is doing brexit and hes the foreign secretary with an eye on becoming prime minister i think the moniker fits

our actual main perspective character is one of the hot chicks former boyfriends who works for a low circulation newspaper and gets a hold of the pictures theres all this hemming and hawing over the morality of publishing the pictures but eventually they decide to do it and there being legal poo poo about this ahead of time everybody pretty much knows whats coming

the masterstroke plan by the tories to destroy the scandal is i poo poo you not to do a photo op where boris johnsons wife comes out and say well i might be a badass doctor who just saved a poor nine year old from a life threatening illness but actually im mrs boris johnson first and hes the bestest husband ever and gently caress you for kinkshaming him and all the proper british high society people get up and clap because we live in a reasonable age of tolerance and compassion and blackmailing and self righteous whistleblowing are an affront to our personal dignity

oh and also the transvestite pink alliance marches in protest on the newspaper office chanting in derivisve falsetto like did anyone back then actually believe any of this crap serious question

he's a pretty garbage author you can read lots of better books

Nichael
Mar 30, 2011

Pener Kropoopkin posted:

so the demonic force is literally moving on from your childhood and the player character is going to save the Disneyverse with the power of nostalgia?

never stop obsessing over the mediocre films from when you were four years old! never stop buying the merchandise! move into the loving disney retirement community and die with goofy giving last rites.

Some Guy TT
Aug 30, 2011

just hit the pee drinking scene in better call saul vaguely remember someone in another thread saying that drinking pee actually dehydrates you faster can anyone confirm or deny

Atrocious Joe
Sep 2, 2011

https://twitter.com/CultureCrave/status/1519365217364238336?s=20&t=KM_TkqwOEttmT6ThAmVPIw

This is basically a modern ecumenical council

Pepe Silvia Browne
Jan 1, 2007

*scrying chicken guts* The Hulk 2: Hulk Goes Hawaiian

Pener Kropoopkin
Jan 30, 2013

thinking about joining cpusa now

https://twitter.com/john__wakefield/status/1519460968803319818?s=21&t=gLcPK2NzGtjKeuHjIJfY4A

Stairmaster
Jun 8, 2012

You know what's a cool movie? Violent Cop

i say swears online
Mar 4, 2005

https://twitter.com/philgreaves01/status/942709261347500032?lang=en

YaketySass
Jan 15, 2019

Blind Idiot Dog

Pener Kropoopkin posted:

The overlap between people who think The VVitch had a happy ending and people who think Midsommar had a happy ending is one big circle.

And Midsommar had murderous Norses too! What does it all mean?

YaketySass has issued a correction as of 05:36 on Apr 28, 2022

Trixie Hardcore
Jul 1, 2006

Placeholder.

Pener Kropoopkin posted:

thinking about joining cpusa now

Forcing people to watch your creepypasta movie is cringe actually.

loquacius posted:

How WOULD you make a movie about a viking that nazis didn't like

like, on a conceptual level, what would that look like

Black Vikings seems too obvious but it’s the correct answer.

AnimeIsTrash posted:

Lol all the outrage about the northman reminds me of how people thought white males were going to shoot up places after seeing the joker.

iirc that was one early review that was like “yikes idk white boys might gets too into this movie like that one guy got about Dark Knight Joker” and the studio astroturfed a narrative about how all film critics were terrified that Joker was such a subversive movie that it would twist white male psyches and turn them into mass shooters, whoa how crazy if you went to see this dangerous film they don’t want you to see

Teriyaki Hairpiece
Dec 29, 2006

I'm nae the voice o' the darkened thistle, but th' darkened thistle cannae bear the sight o' our Bonnie Prince Bernie nae mair.
I don't want all the Marvel characters to die, and I don't want anyone to feel bad about the stuff they like. I just want all adults to fully, completely, consensually, decide that they will stop consuming comic book movies and tv shows, and stop talking about them, forever. Without any bad feelings. There's lots more other culture out there, just as lovely. Just consume that

Teriyaki Hairpiece
Dec 29, 2006

I'm nae the voice o' the darkened thistle, but th' darkened thistle cannae bear the sight o' our Bonnie Prince Bernie nae mair.
E: double post

Trixie Hardcore
Jul 1, 2006

Placeholder.

Teriyaki Hairpiece posted:

I don't want all the Marvel characters to die, and I don't want anyone to feel bad about the stuff they like. I just want all adults to fully, completely, consensually, decide that they will stop consuming comic book movies and tv shows, and stop talking about them, forever. Without any bad feelings. There's lots more other culture out there, just as lovely. Just consume that

This is a weird ask tbh

Pener Kropoopkin
Jan 30, 2013

So none of you are interested in the ultimate Punisher crossover?

You know, he was more right than wrong on this one.

Random Asshole
Nov 8, 2010

I'd settle for people treating them like the dumb, silly popcorn flicks they are, instead of the cancerous growth on mankind's psyche that they've become.

DesertIslandHermit
Oct 7, 2019

It's beautiful. And it's for the god of...of...arts and crafts. I think that's what he said.
Kids that saw Iron Man when it came out in theatres are already in college or graduated. We're going to see all those Funko Pop wall nerds grow grey when Disney releases a line of stinkers that finally ends the MCU.

Casey Finnigan
Apr 30, 2009

Dumb ✔
So goddamn crazy ✔
i actually do want to see a creepypasta movie tbh. Surprised there hasn't been one yet

youtube is full of fake creepypasta anti piracy screens now. Idk when that happened but it's a fun phenomenon

e: i was a kid that saw Iron Man in theaters and yes I thought it was epic when the black sabbath song iron man played at the end

DesertIslandHermit
Oct 7, 2019

It's beautiful. And it's for the god of...of...arts and crafts. I think that's what he said.

Casey Finnigan posted:

i actually do want to see a creepypasta movie tbh. Surprised there hasn't been one yet

youtube is full of fake creepypasta anti piracy screens now. Idk when that happened but it's a fun phenomenon

e: i was a kid that saw Iron Man in theaters and yes I thought it was epic when the black sabbath song iron man played at the end

There was a Slender Man movie and it sucked rear end.

Bring back Channel Zero. That was good stuff. The first season's alright but it gets better onward.

Pener Kropoopkin
Jan 30, 2013

AND THEN SPIDER MAN LOOKED AT ME AND HE OPENED HIS MOUTH AND BLOOD SEEPED OUT THROUGH HIS MASK AND HE SAYS "YOU SHOULD HAVE PAID FOR THIS MOVIE BUT YOU CAME IN ILLEGALLY"

Tiberius Christ
Mar 4, 2009

Casey Finnigan posted:

agreed feel like there's a really good SCP foundation or a Backrooms movie out there, closest one is Cabin in the Woods

Trixie Hardcore
Jul 1, 2006

Placeholder.
My favorite creepypasta is about visiting an abandoned McDonald’s PlayPlace and I can’t remember the name or the plot but the protagonist is menaced by a ball pit that has too many balls in it, the amount of balls is eerie and a sign the protagonist is in danger.

Farm Frenzy
Jan 3, 2007

i think the problem with a creepypasta movie is that the villains are all either evil versions of copyrighted characters or so generic that theres no reason to not just make up your own

Trixie Hardcore
Jul 1, 2006

Placeholder.
Or the creepypasta about a haunted Mickey Mouse doll that keeps leaking a white fluid on everything, it’s not a good story but you really get the feeling that the author somehow doesn’t realize that they’re writing a horror story about a Mickey Mouse doll that can’t stop cumming. I know you’re thinking they definitely know what they’re doing there but believe me it really seems like the author is not in on the joke.

DesertIslandHermit
Oct 7, 2019

Ted the Caver was my favorite because the photographs sold it as being believable. The 'Floyd's Tomb' sequence of pictures set off my claustrophobia. The entries are a bit wordy but I've seen people make excessive posts trying to tell stories in forums.

TheSlutPit
Dec 26, 2009

DesertIslandHermit posted:

Ted the Caver was my favorite because the photographs sold it as being believable. The 'Floyd's Tomb' sequence of pictures set off my claustrophobia. The entries are a bit wordy but I've seen people make excessive posts trying to tell stories in forums.

The old school geocities look really helped it feel real, it was exactly the type of abandoned website you would have stumbled across in the web 1.0 era via a caving webring.

Ghost Leviathan
Mar 2, 2017

Exploration is ill-advised.

mastershakeman posted:

Probably about how the strong elite Vikings were broke and went off in service of the byzantines and acted as the varangian guard for a paycheck but no pride? But that's ahistorical

Maybe you just do something about how the swedes had to beg a Frenchman to come be their king in the 1800s and then everyone emigrated to America because Sweden sucked

Fish out of water Varangian guard comedy, tagline is 'Byzantine problems require byzantine solutions', shows that one viking climbing real high in the palace to carve 'this is very high up' in runes

this is just every crisis crossover event, they'll all be back for the next episode because of a space wizard

mazzi Chart Czar
Sep 24, 2005

So a 'what if' titled "The Punisher kills Disney." Also that flick will just be like Crucifying Jesus , and make people believe in it harder.
Character death is just being tossed into a hockey time out box.

If you want a harder death, mandate that people have to watch these movies, and make a lot of them. People loath being told what to do.

Disney is good at not advertising too hard and making people think they have a choice, and just like disney for disney.
The same way people think they like a pop song on the radio just because they like it.

Nichael posted:

I honestly hope this is super successful.
Video games are super easy for pop culture to just ignore. Like how many minecraft videos are you recommended daily, vs how many exist on youtube.

Even the Algorithm is like:
"We know you watched a couple minecraft videos that one time? You still wanna watch that? Here is one video? No. All right then. Here is a linus tech tip video. I'm out!"

War and Pieces
Apr 24, 2022

DID NOT VOTE FOR FETTERMAN

Pepe Silvia Browne posted:

*scrying chicken guts* The Hulk 2: Hulk Goes Hawaiian

actually he goes Australian

http://marveltoynews.com/gamestop-exclusive-marvel-legends-outback-hulk-figure-up-for-order/

loquacius
Oct 21, 2008

Trixie Hardcore posted:

iirc that was one early review that was like “yikes idk white boys might gets too into this movie like that one guy got about Dark Knight Joker” and the studio astroturfed a narrative about how all film critics were terrified that Joker was such a subversive movie that it would twist white male psyches and turn them into mass shooters, whoa how crazy if you went to see this dangerous film they don’t want you to see

Nah we went over this before, the Aurora shooter never said anything about the Joker, or Batman really, it just happened to be the most popular movie the weekend he wanted to do a shooting. The media added that association because it was just crazy about Joker for some reason

And they were literally posting cops at Joker showings on opening night Just In Case

projecthalaxy
Dec 27, 2008

Yes hello it is I Kurt's Secret Son

and they were right to do so

all americans long to "jokerfy" amd will do so at the slightest spark of inspiration

C-Euro
Mar 20, 2010

:science:
Soiled Meat

My wife's streaming services habit is to just watch whatever is on the Popular or Trending section of Netflix/Hulu/etc. which had led her to some truly putrid stuff. With some of the things I've seen on Netflix it's no wonder they're losing money.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Alhazred
Feb 16, 2011

loquacius posted:

How WOULD you make a movie about a viking that nazis didn't like

like, on a conceptual level, what would that look like

would you have to, like, cast michael cera as the viking and have the movie be about how dumb and lame and bad at fighting he is, is that the only acceptable way to make a viking movie or what
There's an icelandic movie called the Raven Flies where a guy kills a bunch of vikings as revenge for them killing his parents and kidnapping his sister.