Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

MUSCULAR BEAVER
Dec 26, 2014

HENDO! HENDO!

American McGay posted:

There's gotta be a Polygon article out there about the rapey vibes when a great fairy upgrades your gear in BOTW.

Link suffers from premature weapon degradation so it balances out ok

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Gripweed
Nov 8, 2018

I was already on the fence about it but finding out there is a much better Hyrule Warriors than the one I got has killed most of my interest in finishing this Hyrule Warriors

American McGay
Feb 28, 2010

by sebmojo
You chose..... poorly.

hatty
Feb 28, 2011

Pork Pro
The first one feels like an actual Warriors game while Calamity is a bit more straightforward. Also didn’t find most of the characters very fun to use while in HW1 almost everyone was great, was pretty disappointed

Gripweed
Nov 8, 2018

hatty posted:

The first one feels like an actual Warriors game while Calamity is a bit more straightforward. Also didn’t find most of the characters very fun to use while in HW1 almost everyone was great, was pretty disappointed

Unlocking the second rock guy and the second bird guy certainly didn't encourage me to keep on and see all the other characters.

ImpAtom
May 24, 2007

hatty posted:

You are probably alone here because even the people who don't like Calamity acknowledge that it has one of the best designed casts in DW history. Every character is strong, useful and powerful and even literally the worst characters are better designed than the vast majority of HW1's.

Gripweed posted:

Unlocking the second rock guy and the second bird guy certainly didn't encourage me to keep on and see all the other characters.

The second rock guy is one of the strongest characters in the game. In case it wasn't clear using his unique action will give him a colored barrier and then if you perform a combo associated with that color it will massively power it up. He can expose weak point gauges with bare minimum effort and prior to the DLC was probably one of the top 3 characters in the entire game.

The second bird guy is the most powerful character in the game and once you get how to play him he's an insane turbobuzzsaw that tears through enemies like nothing else.

https://www.youtube.com/channel/UCbiUt8dIAjfrtMSSeBZbdjA/videos

This dude has pretty in-depth tutorials for most of the characters that explains a lot of the unique mechanics and what makes them shine.

I honestly can't play the old HW anymore because HW:AoC did almost everything about enemy and character design better. The only area where it might be weaker is in level design and it depends on if you prefer HW's base-capturing style. (Well, okay, and having 9.5 billion hours of challenges to do. If you just want a DW game to burn through for hours it's amazing at that.) And HW1 was one of my favorite DW games prior to it, but it's sooo hard to go back to the terrible boss monster design/insanely inconsistent or poorly designed movesets in HW1. Hell just the fact that every character can draw out and exploit enemy weak point gauges regularly helps prevent battles from feeling tedious.

ImpAtom fucked around with this message at 04:05 on Apr 28, 2022

American McGay
Feb 28, 2010

by sebmojo
AoC doesn't have Bayonetta Link or Demon Booba Woman so it's automatically infinitely worse.

ImpAtom
May 24, 2007

American McGay posted:

AoC doesn't have Bayonetta Link or Demon Booba Woman so it's automatically infinitely worse.

I'd normally agree (Linkle is by far my favorite character in HW1) except that AoC Zelda has a moveset which is literally just 'exploit physics glitches' and Koga does nothing but get angry and shoot laser beams from in his face.

Also AoC actually has a really fun plot which positions Zelda, not Link, as the protagonist and subverts the BotW story by having Zelda save the day through her genuine love of technology and research while everyone else screamed at her to just learn magic and ignore other things.

Automata 10 Pack
Jun 21, 2007

Ten games published by Automata, on one cassette

Willo567 posted:

Why did they decide to replace Charles Martinet for loving Chris Pratt for the movie?

He’s so Cool

Automata 10 Pack
Jun 21, 2007

Ten games published by Automata, on one cassette

drat mega 64 still got it

bobjr
Oct 16, 2012

Roose is loose.
🐓🐓🐓✊🪧

If Breath of the Wild 2 put in Linkle I wouldn't mind how shoehorned in it would be, I'd still like it.

Morter
Jul 1, 2006

:ninja:
Gift for the grind, criminal mind shifty

Swift with the 9 through a 59FIFTY

Automata 10 Pack posted:

drat mega 64 still got it

....Scrunt

Detective No. 27
Jun 7, 2006

I was pretty disappointed to find out that Age of Calamity was an alternate happy ending. Real cowardly not to commit.

Fly Ricky
May 7, 2009

The Wine Taster
Great Fairy Fountain theme from OoT is god-tier game music.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=id0kbyKCG8c

Sakurazuka
Jan 24, 2004

NANI?

ImpAtom posted:

You are probably alone here because even the people who don't like Calamity acknowledge that it has one of the best designed casts in DW history. Every character is strong, useful and powerful and even literally the worst characters are better designed than the vast majority of HW1's.

The second rock guy is one of the strongest characters in the game. In case it wasn't clear using his unique action will give him a colored barrier and then if you perform a combo associated with that color it will massively power it up. He can expose weak point gauges with bare minimum effort and prior to the DLC was probably one of the top 3 characters in the entire game.

The second bird guy is the most powerful character in the game and once you get how to play him he's an insane turbobuzzsaw that tears through enemies like nothing else.

https://www.youtube.com/channel/UCbiUt8dIAjfrtMSSeBZbdjA/videos

This dude has pretty in-depth tutorials for most of the characters that explains a lot of the unique mechanics and what makes them shine.

I honestly can't play the old HW anymore because HW:AoC did almost everything about enemy and character design better. The only area where it might be weaker is in level design and it depends on if you prefer HW's base-capturing style. (Well, okay, and having 9.5 billion hours of challenges to do. If you just want a DW game to burn through for hours it's amazing at that.) And HW1 was one of my favorite DW games prior to it, but it's sooo hard to go back to the terrible boss monster design/insanely inconsistent or poorly designed movesets in HW1. Hell just the fact that every character can draw out and exploit enemy weak point gauges regularly helps prevent battles from feeling tedious.

Yeah but I actually had to pay attention to what was going on in HW1 instead of mashing x & y until 'you win' flashed up on the screen like AoC.

Snake Maze
Jul 13, 2016

3.85 Billion years ago
  • Having seen the explosion on the moon, the Devil comes to Venus
In general I preferred HW 1’s map style, but they definitely got pretty samey - if you get into adventure mode you’re doing a lot of “sprint to fort, fairy nuke, repeat until boss”

AoC’s maps tend to be linear combat gauntlets, but the combat itself is a lot better.

anatomi
Jan 31, 2015

Sorry for being super late to the Kirby boat, but does it have the occasional challenging bits like Mario Odyssey or is it a more or less an on rails deal like Yoshi?

Rugikiki
Jan 15, 2008

Illinois Nazis.
I hate Illinois Nazis!

Fly Ricky posted:

Great Fairy Fountain theme from OoT is god-tier game music.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=id0kbyKCG8c

It’s almost as good as Gerudo Valley!

Bug Squash
Mar 18, 2009

Spring Sale is up! Surprise little discount on Bugsnax, and the usual wide range of random games. I don't think there are any first party games in the list.

Edit: nope, plenty of the 1st persons up there

Bug Squash fucked around with this message at 15:11 on Apr 28, 2022

Gripweed
Nov 8, 2018

anatomi posted:

Sorry for being super late to the Kirby boat, but does it have the occasional challenging bits like Mario Odyssey or is it a more or less an on rails deal like Yoshi?

speaking of the most recent Kirby, one of the bosses gave me a bit of trouble but other wise it was pretty easy. There's a little bit of exploration and every level has little optional bits

Quantum of Phallus
Dec 27, 2010
Probation
Can't post for 12 hours!

Bug Squash posted:

Spring Sale is up! Surprise little discount on Bugsnax, and the usual wide range of random games. I don't think there are any first party games in the list.

what region are you in? Not showing here in Ireland

Bug Squash
Mar 18, 2009

Quantum of Phallus posted:

what region are you in? Not showing here in Ireland

I'm in the UK, might be a bit latter for EU.

Quantum of Phallus
Dec 27, 2010
Probation
Can't post for 12 hours!
just went live here, including some first-party games

Evil Fluffy
Jul 13, 2009

Scholars are some of the most pompous and pedantic people I've ever had the joy of meeting.

Detective No. 27 posted:

I was pretty disappointed to find out that Age of Calamity was an alternate happy ending. Real cowardly not to commit.

That just means yet another timeline for the LoZ fandom to geek out about.

It'd be extremely funny if BOTW2's actually taking place after Age of Calamity and not BOTW1.

woke kaczynski
Jan 23, 2015

How do you do, fellow antifa?

Fun Shoe
I've never really gotten the appeal of any of the other Kirby games I've played but the new Kirby is very chill and good. I've been cutepilled

Len
Jan 21, 2008

Pouches, bandages, shoulderpad, cyber-eye...

Bitchin'!

Evil Fluffy posted:

That just means yet another timeline for the LoZ fandom to geek out about.

It'd be extremely funny if BOTW2's actually taking place after Age of Calamity and not BOTW1.

It would be real cool tbh

A Hyrule that spent 100 years working on advancing in tech level would be a welcome change of pace

Give my Cyberpunk Hyrule Nintendo

Snake Maze
Jul 13, 2016

3.85 Billion years ago
  • Having seen the explosion on the moon, the Devil comes to Venus
I'll throw out a recommendation for Wuppo, which is currently 80% off in the sale.

It's a platformer/rpg thing that doesn't fit neatly into any boxes, but kind of reminds me of Super Paper Mario. It has combat and bosses but most of the content is just sidequests (that generally don't involve fighting) and exploration. There's multiple settlements with a bunch of NPCs and a day-night cycle, and it's vaguely simulationist in that you never stop controlling you character - for example, taking the train means waiting at the station until it arrives, then walking onto the train, then hanging out on the train until it arrives at it's destination in real time. The combat is decently fun and has a bunch of customization and different weapons to mess with, but the real draw for me is the exploration, because there's tons of unique content that the game will never force you to do. You can fish and play sports and deliver newspapers and enter a gameshow and buy a dozen ridiculous hats and work at a power plant where you jump on a button over and over and debate politics at the town hall and all sorts of other completely optional activities.

It's never really gotten much attention but I think it's a really neat game, and it's definitely worth checking out at its current price.

hatty
Feb 28, 2011

Pork Pro
Nintendo should port Robobot so new Kirby fans can play the best one

djfooboo
Oct 16, 2004

Gripweed posted:

If the fairies in other Zelda games aren't enormous women that just strengthens my position that BotW is the best Zelda

I about died the first time a crazed fairy came out of the muck in BOTW. It was a masterclass surprise.

man nurse
Feb 18, 2014

I’m gonna buy Switch Sports!

Morpheus
Apr 18, 2008

My favourite little monsters

ImpAtom posted:

Yeah HW1 has a bunch of characters but they all play exactly the same - you just mash the weak+strong combo that works best with that one character and don't switch it up.

AoC's characters each have something that differentiates them, so switching between a guy that can fly over the enemies and another guy that puts out piles of poo poo to collect to get stronger and another guy that builds up power over time that can be used in a super mode or by executing smaller special attacks, makes them all feel different.

Inzombiac
Mar 19, 2007

PARTY ALL NIGHT

EAT BRAINS ALL DAY

This spring sale is quite nice. Lots of time killers for like 20 cents, lol.

Rupert Buttermilk
Apr 15, 2007

🚣RowboatMan: ❄️Freezing time🕰️ is an old P.I. 🥧trick...

man nurse posted:

I’m gonna buy Switch Sports!

I was going to, but I'd rather save my money for Strikers.

anatomi
Jan 31, 2015

Gripweed posted:

speaking of the most recent Kirby, one of the bosses gave me a bit of trouble but other wise it was pretty easy. There's a little bit of exploration and every level has little optional bits
Thanks!

American McGay
Feb 28, 2010

by sebmojo
I'll wait for a preview or two. The network test was fun enough but it doesn't really feel like $50 fun unless they add a bunch of progression and challenges and unlocks.

Left 4 Bread
Oct 4, 2021

i sleep

Snake Maze posted:

I'll throw out a recommendation for Wuppo, which is currently 80% off in the sale.

It's a platformer/rpg thing that doesn't fit neatly into any boxes, but kind of reminds me of Super Paper Mario. It has combat and bosses but most of the content is just sidequests (that generally don't involve fighting) and exploration. There's multiple settlements with a bunch of NPCs and a day-night cycle, and it's vaguely simulationist in that you never stop controlling you character - for example, taking the train means waiting at the station until it arrives, then walking onto the train, then hanging out on the train until it arrives at it's destination in real time. The combat is decently fun and has a bunch of customization and different weapons to mess with, but the real draw for me is the exploration, because there's tons of unique content that the game will never force you to do. You can fish and play sports and deliver newspapers and enter a gameshow and buy a dozen ridiculous hats and work at a power plant where you jump on a button over and over and debate politics at the town hall and all sorts of other completely optional activities.

It's never really gotten much attention but I think it's a really neat game, and it's definitely worth checking out at its current price.

Hell, for $3, I might have to get it.

Maybe. drat you, backlog of games and low impulse control!

Senator Drinksalot
Apr 30, 2013

Kiss me up, touch me, fuckin' rock my world holmes, I don't care
No golf in Switch Sports? No buy.

Feels Villeneuve
Oct 7, 2007

Setter is Better.
1 v 100 bowling will be GOTY

hatty
Feb 28, 2011

Pork Pro
How don’t they have a home run contest in Switch Sports? It’s would’ve been a … slam dunk

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Inzombiac
Mar 19, 2007

PARTY ALL NIGHT

EAT BRAINS ALL DAY

Senator Drinksalot posted:

No golf in Switch Sports? No buy.

It's getting added in the fall.