Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

The Sean
Apr 17, 2005

Am I handsome now?

Leon Trotsky 2012 posted:

- 6 figures of student loan debt.
- Working in a public advocacy position.
- Attorney making "not great" salary.

That's basically the ideal scenario (depending on what the public advocacy position is). The only better scenario for PSLF is "Ivy league Doctor working for state/federal healthcare department."

They have reformed the program under Biden. It went from a 2% acceptance rate to 99% acceptance rate.

So what is the exact number of qualifying payments they made, which is one of the criteria?

You don't know and you can't know so stop claiming something you can't possibly claim.

The Sean fucked around with this message at 23:15 on Apr 27, 2022

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Leon Trotsky 2012
Aug 27, 2009

YOU CAN TRUST ME!*

*Israeli Government-affiliated poster

The Sean posted:

So what is the exact number of qualifying payments they made, which is one of the criteria?

I don't mean have it all literally forgiven this second, lol.

If you have "6 figures" of loan debt and "not a great salary," then you are likely to have a substantial balance remaining that qualifies for forgiveness at the end of the 120 payment cycle if your job is PSLF eligible. If your job is PSLF eligible, then you don't even really need to do anything else as long as you plan to keep working there or have already worked there for a while.

VitalSigns
Sep 3, 2011

Although whether you even get any forgiveness is a coin flip because as we've seen a Republican president can just reject 98% of applications on bullshit technicalities since PSLF is an overcomplicated finicky process strangled by exhausting red tape and made so on purpose to serve the overriding goal of preserving an extractive for-profit education system while still producing enough people willing to do low-paid public service work and making absolutely sure the help doesn't go to anyone who isn't sufficiently 'worthy'

President Kucinich
Feb 21, 2003

Bitterly Clinging to my AK47 and Das Kapital

Mellow Seas posted:

The reason reproductive rights are in danger is because Republicans have won too many elections.

The apparatus for appointing judges is controlled by democrats now and was controlled by democrats in 2009.

Pobrecito
Jun 16, 2020

hasta que la muerte nos separe

Are you on PSLF? You're like the platonic ideal candidate to get 6 figures forgiven.

I am and hopefully it will work out, but I won't hit my 10 years until 2025. I am not optimistic about my chances of getting to utilize it since Joe Biden and the Democrats are about to get slaughtered at the polls.

It's incredibly demoralizing to have the cloud of student loans hanging over your head for a decade, the specter of which affecting every major life decision you make with the only light at the end of the tunnel being the possibility that either the Dems won't gently caress it up or the Republicans won't be motivated enough to end PSLF (or just gently caress with it like Trump's Education department did). Also incredibly depressing watching your student loan balance grow and grow because your payments aren't even touching the interest (or at least up until the payment moratorium).

Leon Trotsky 2012
Aug 27, 2009

YOU CAN TRUST ME!*

Schumer says that Biden is "moving in our direction" on the amount of loans to be forgiven (Schumer has been pushing for $50k, while Biden has said $10k).

Doesn't really give any concrete details that weren't public before, but it will apparently be somewhere between $10,001 and $49,999.

https://twitter.com/alizaslav/status/1519390255492833286

small butter
Oct 8, 2011

President Kucinich posted:

The apparatus for appointing judges is controlled by democrats now and was controlled by democrats in 2009.

I seriously can't tell if this is a joke post or not.

Jaxyon
Mar 7, 2016
I’m just saying I would like to see a man beat a woman in a cage. Just to be sure.
I mean, I'll take student loan forgiveness but LOL if that's Biden's signature achievement going into the midterms.

BonoMan
Feb 20, 2002

Jade Ear Joe
Guess it's time to consolidate to a direct loan!

TheIncredulousHulk
Sep 3, 2012

Jaxyon posted:

I mean, I'll take student loan forgiveness but LOL if that's Biden's signature achievement going into the midterms.

I mean right now his signature achievement is a highway bill so this would be a pretty big upgrade

Leon Trotsky 2012
Aug 27, 2009

YOU CAN TRUST ME!*

Remember when everyone freaked out because Obama set the efficiency threshold for incandescent light bulbs so high that 95% of them wouldn't qualify and they accused him of killing the traditional light bulb? And Trump blocked it before it went into effect; restoring traditional light bulbs to America.

Biden is coming to finish the murder.

Incandescent light bulbs will be banned (technically, not banned, but the efficiency requirements will be set so high that 0% of incandescent bulbs will qualify) in 2023.

If you love your "warm lighting" and higher electricity bills, then better stock up. They were 30% of all bulbs sold in the U.S. in 2020 and will have to be 0% by 2023.

https://twitter.com/CBSNews/status/1519461392067272705

rscott
Dec 10, 2009

This is kind of like the "I don't have white privilege, because I had to work for everything/I'm poor" situation.

Only about 1/3 of Americans get a college degree and having a college degree - any degree - means you earn about $1.2 million more over the course of your lifetime and have a 75% lower chance of being unemployed for a significant period of time in your life.

Not everyone with a degree does amazing, but people with a degree literally are "the elite" in that they are 1/3 of the population and perform significantly better in every financial metric than people with no degree.

This post talks a lot about who holds college degrees but it doesn't mention a single bit about who actually holds college debt. Black undergrads are more likely to use student loans to pay for college, and when they do they end up borrowing far more money than white undergrads. Their monthly payments are higher as a result, and since they derive less benefit from their degrees than white college grads (between 20 and 30% less than their white counterparts), the payment terms make up a larger portion of their income.

Thus, student loan debt forgiveness, rather than being a handout to so called white elites (who are more likely to use private loans to pay for their degrees at Oberlin college or whatever, and would not be covered by such a policy) actually has a strong racial justice component. Implementing the policy should result in tangible effects on support/enthusiasm for Democrats in these constituencies that are really likely to vote Democrat, i.e, young people, women and Black people and this will make a difference in the midetrms.

Sekhmnet
Jan 22, 2019

Remember when everyone freaked out because Obama set the efficiency threshold for incandescent light bulbs so high that 95% of them wouldn't qualify and they accused him of killing the traditional light bulb? And Trump blocked it before it went into effect; restoring traditional light bulbs to America.

Biden is coming to finish the murder.

Incandescent light bulbs will be banned (technically, not banned, but the efficiency requirements will be set so high that 0% of incandescent bulbs will qualify) in 2023.

If you love your "warm lighting" and higher electricity bills, then better stock up. They were 30% of all bulbs sold in the U.S. in 2020 and will have to be 0% by 2023.

https://twitter.com/CBSNews/status/1519461392067272705

I think incandescents are just dirt cheap compared to the neon coil/LED lights that are replacing them; even though the new stuff lasts so much longer. Maybe some of that 30% are buying them in a 'Im gonna burn tires on earth day' kind of mindset but who knows.

mastershakeman
Oct 28, 2008

by vyelkin

Pobrecito posted:

I am and hopefully it will work out, but I won't hit my 10 years until 2025. I am not optimistic about my chances of getting to utilize it since Joe Biden and the Democrats are about to get slaughtered at the polls.

It's incredibly demoralizing to have the cloud of student loans hanging over your head for a decade, the specter of which affecting every major life decision you make with the only light at the end of the tunnel being the possibility that either the Dems won't gently caress it up or the Republicans won't be motivated enough to end PSLF (or just gently caress with it like Trump's Education department did). Also incredibly depressing watching your student loan balance grow and grow because your payments aren't even touching the interest (or at least up until the payment moratorium).

I worked with dozens of people who went to law school post 08, had 200k or so of loan debt, and were working for 45-55k salaries in Chicago with bad benefits. They were all relying on 20 or 25 year paye/ibr forgiveness , pslf never entered any of their minds.

The question of "what about the tax liability of forgiveness" that pslf doesn't have was simple - bankruptcy.

On the other hand, these people paid much lower payments monthly than everyone who went to school in the mid 00s and straddled the line of before/after the grad loan "reforms". That generation was much closer to undergrad students who had to do both private and public loans

Frankly, fed student loans are a red herring for people being more financially well off - either you're making enough money you can pay them just fine, or you're not and you pay only 10-15% of your AGI (or nothing for 2 years due to covid). It's the private loans that crush people, and those are the same ones the entire political class is ignoring since they can't just say "Biden can do this with a stroke of his pen."
And that's without even getting into the equity arguments of bailing out people who have better lifetime earning prospects than those who didn't want to take the gamble on loans, whether that meant a lower ranked/less prestigious school or even not going at all.

mastershakeman fucked around with this message at 01:56 on Apr 28, 2022

Mellow Seas
Oct 9, 2012
Probation
Can't post for 10 years!

rscott posted:

Implementing the policy should result in tangible effects on support/enthusiasm for Democrats in these constituencies that are really likely to vote Democrat, i.e, young people, women and Black people and this will make a difference in the midetrms.
These are also the people who we need to be the next generation of leaders on the left, and eliminating financial burdens that could hold back their pursuit of professional, creative and political goals would have some really positive long-term effects.

haveblue
Aug 15, 2005

Toilet Rascal

Sekhmnet posted:

I think incandescents are just dirt cheap compared to the neon coil/LED lights that are replacing them; even though the new stuff lasts so much longer. Maybe some of that 30% are buying them in a 'Im gonna burn tires on earth day' kind of mindset but who knows.

They are, but the efficient bulbs save so much electricity and last so much longer that they pull ahead eventually. Old people aren’t in the habit of thinking of light bulbs as an investment, though

small butter
Oct 8, 2011

haveblue posted:

They are, but the efficient bulbs save so much electricity and last so much longer that they pull ahead eventually. Old people aren’t in the habit of thinking of light bulbs as an investment, though

Just to derail a bit, am I the only one who noticed that LED bulbs die or otherwise start flickering or humming way too soon? I realize they're rated for 10,000+ hours, but I have a huge box of LEDs that either died or started malfunctioning after replacing every florescent bulb. And I noticed that the florescents kept dying as well, just not as quickly as the LEDs. And none of these bulbs are cheap!

The Sean
Apr 17, 2005

Am I handsome now?

rscott posted:

This post talks a lot about who holds college degrees but it doesn't mention a single bit about who actually holds college debt. Black undergrads are more likely to use student loans to pay for college, and when they do they end up borrowing far more money than white undergrads. Their monthly payments are higher as a result, and since they derive less benefit from their degrees than white college grads (between 20 and 30% less than their white counterparts), the payment terms make up a larger portion of their income.

Thus, student loan debt forgiveness, rather than being a handout to so called white elites (who are more likely to use private loans to pay for their degrees at Oberlin college or whatever, and would not be covered by such a policy) actually has a strong racial justice component. Implementing the policy should result in tangible effects on support/enthusiasm for Democrats in these constituencies that are really likely to vote Democrat, i.e, young people, women and Black people and this will make a difference in the midetrms.

Yeah, the defense you quoted reminds me of Biden's "poor kids are just as bright and just as talented as white kids" quote, especially with how that other post started.

small butter posted:

Just to derail a bit, am I the only one who noticed that LED bulbs die or otherwise start flickering or humming way too soon? I realize they're rated for 10,000+ hours, but I have a huge box of LEDs that either died or started malfunctioning after replacing every florescent bulb. And I noticed that the florescents kept dying as well, just not as quickly as the LEDs. And none of these bulbs are cheap!

My home is filled with led lights and I've noticed no degradation in 7+ years.

The Sean fucked around with this message at 02:17 on Apr 28, 2022

rscott
Dec 10, 2009
Out of the 20-30 LED bulbs of various types and temperature I bought on Amazon in 2019 to replace basically all the lighting in my house, 3 of them have started flickering and it's basically like one of each of the main types I bought

They're basically small electronic devices that screw into light fixtures and they're going to have similar failure modes/rates as other semiconductor based devices

Leon Trotsky 2012
Aug 27, 2009

YOU CAN TRUST ME!*

rscott posted:

We have data on demographics for student loans. Half of all student loan debt is for advanced degrees that only 8% of the total population hold. That group is dominated by white and Asian graduates with high incomes.

Black borrowers do borrow more on average for undergrad, but only 20% of student loans are held by black borrowers. Plus, fewer black Americans go to college compared to Asian and white Americans. And only ~12% of all Americans have any student loan debt at all, so the total number of black borrowers with at least $1 in loans represents about 1.6% of the U.S. population.

Student loan debt is like a more extreme version of the false "welfare" myth with Medicaid/Food stamps. The stereotypes are that most people on "welfare" are black, but black people are just disproportionately represented, not objectively over-represented. The vast majority of people benefiting are white.

Student loan forgiveness will disproportionately benefit black borrowers, but the overwhelming amount of objective benefit will go to higher income white borrowers.

That doesn't make it bad public policy, but people are severely overselling it as a racial justice measure. When you are drilling down student loan forgiveness you need to remember that close to 90% of all Americans of any race don't have any. So, you are subdividing up an already small group and that makes it kind of misleading to frame it as racial justice issue.

I understand that people want to sell the policy in as many ways as they can, but it feels weird to talk about it as racial justice issue when over 90% of that race won't benefit at all. But, there are good public policy reasons to do it even if it does mostly benefit people who are already in the top 1/3 of incomes already. Black inter-generational wealth is mostly passed through housing and education, so that is an important factor for the black population with degrees. That also needs to be combined with overall cost/financing reform for college in general or it is just a one-time thing, but that is sort of out of the picture right now.

rscott
Dec 10, 2009

We have data on demographics for student loans. Half of all student loan debt is for advanced degrees that only 8% of the total population hold. That group is dominated by white and Asian graduates with high incomes.

Black borrowers do borrow more on average for undergrad, but only 20% of student loans are held by black borrowers. Plus, fewer black Americans go to college compared to Asian and white Americans. And only ~12% of all Americans have any student loan debt at all, so the total number of black borrowers with at least $1 in loans represents about 1.6% of the U.S. population.

Student loan debt is like a more extreme version of the false "welfare" myth with Medicaid/Food stamps. The stereotypes are that most people on "welfare" are black, but black people are just disproportionately represented, not objectively over-represented. The vast majority of people benefiting are white.

Student loan forgiveness will disproportionately benefit black borrowers, but the overwhelming amount of objective benefit will go to higher income white borrowers.

That doesn't make it bad public policy, but people are severely overselling it as a racial justice measure. When you are drilling down student loan forgiveness you need to remember that close to 90% of all Americans of any race don't have any. So, you are subdividing up an already small group and that makes it kind of misleading to frame it as racial justice issue.

I understand that people want to sell the policy in as many ways as they can, but it feels weird to talk about it as racial justice issue when over 90% of that race won't benefit at all. But, there are good public policy reasons to do it even if it does mostly benefit people who are already in the top 1/3 of incomes already. Black inter-generational wealth is mostly passed through housing and education, so that is an important factor for the black population with degrees. That also needs to be combined with overall cost/financing reform for college in general or it is just a one-time thing, but that is sort of out of the picture right now.

??? This is like saying restoring felons' voting rights isn't important in terms of racial justice because 90% of Black people aren't felons

e: like looking at the situation from the perspective of "what group of people benefits the most in terms of dollars spent" seems like an overly reductive way of looking at the whole thing. The tangible impact on the lives of Black people, Black women especially student loan debt forgiveness would have is extremely important to beginning to solve the disparity in economic outcomes currently present in our country

Yes any policy that is redistributive in any way that doesn't explicitly exclude white people is going to give the absolute majority of the monetary benefit to white people, because white people are a majority of people in the United States

rscott fucked around with this message at 02:45 on Apr 28, 2022

Killer robot
Sep 6, 2010

I was having the most wonderful dream. I think you were in it!
Pillbug

small butter posted:

I got a batch once with a high failure rate. It was a cheap set from Amazon though so it was probably some dodgy manufacturer using poo poo components/assembly.

Though enclosed fixtures and stuff like that can be hard on LEDs too, since it leads to the electronics overheating and aging quickly.

WAR CRIME GIGOLO
Oct 3, 2012

The Hague
tryna get me
for these glutes

small butter posted:

There could be more than just a bulb issue. You should get your electrical system checked out. Does your panel say "zinsco" or "Sylvania" or "federal Pacific"? If so you may have a bigger problem on your hands.

Do you have a 20A breaker on a lower than code specified gauge of wire? Do you have a transformer that has blown out or is failing?

Not defending big LED here but is it just one bulb or multiple?

TheIncredulousHulk
Sep 3, 2012

Black borrowers do borrow more on average for undergrad, but only 20% of student loans are held by black borrowers.

"only"

Black people are 13% of the overall population lol

Leon Trotsky 2012
Aug 27, 2009

YOU CAN TRUST ME!*

rscott posted:

??? This is like saying restoring felons' voting rights isn't important in terms of racial justice because 90% of Black people aren't felons

Yes any policy that is redistributive in any way that doesn't explicitly exclude white people is going to give the absolute majority of the monetary benefit to white people, because white people are a majority of people in the United States

The difference is that it is disproportionate within the category of borrowers and not overall. It is kind of academic because if Biden does anything it will likely be a flat amount and not a 100% total balance forgiveness (and forgiving a flat amount instead of the total will curb the portion of the benefit going to those with disproportionately high loans/incomes that fewer black borrowers belong to), but if 50% of the total value is held by 8% of the population that includes disproportionately fewer African-Americans, but the total population has a slightly disproportionate percentage of black borrowers at all levels relative to their population, then you are benefiting a disproportionate percentage of black borrowers at a lower objective rate.

The very dumbed down example would be if you gave 10 black people $1 and gave 1 white person $10. You have disproportionately benefited black people within that subgroup, but the objective impact is much more significant for the white beneficiaries - even though technically white and black people within that subgroup received the same amount of money.

Leon Trotsky 2012 fucked around with this message at 03:06 on Apr 28, 2022

rscott
Dec 10, 2009

The difference is that it is disproportionate within the category of borrowers and not overall. It is kind of academic because if Biden does anything it will likely be a flat amount and not a 100% total balance forgiveness (and forgiving a flat amount instead of the total will curb the portion of the benefit going to those with disproportionately high loans/incomes), but if 50% of the total value is held by 8% of the population that includes disproportionately fewer African-Americans, but the total population has a slightly disproportionate percentage of black borrowers at all levels relative to their population, then you are benefiting a disproportionate percentage of black borrowers at a lower objective rate.

The very dumbed down example would be if you gave 10 black people $1 and gave 1 white person $10. You have disproportionately benefited black people within that subgroup, but the objective impact is much more significant for the white beneficiaries - even though technically white and black people within that subgroup received the same amount of money.

You're completely ignoring the marginal value of a dollar of debt forgiveness for someone who's poorer and earns less compared to someone who's wealthier and making more, again overly reductive

Leon Trotsky 2012
Aug 27, 2009

YOU CAN TRUST ME!*

rscott posted:

You're completely ignoring the marginal value of a dollar of debt forgiveness for someone who's poorer and earns less compared to someone who's wealthier and making more, again overly reductive

I agree with you that it is overly reductive! And they almost certainly aren't going to do a total balance forgiveness, so it is kind of a pedantic and academic argument anyway. I just think framing something that benefits the richest part of a small subgroup within an already smaller other subgroup as a policy primarily about fighting economic inequality is a little reductive too!

The marginal value of the dollar aspect is very important and why it is still good public policy.

VitalSigns
Sep 3, 2011

Couldn't you make this same argument about elementary school back in the day. Since only richer families could afford to pay for it, making it free is a benefit for the rich and couldn't possibly benefit poor people at all.

Epic High Five
Jun 5, 2004

Shaking off the rust, who wants a weed themed 12 hour probation, limit 1

Leon Trotsky 2012
Aug 27, 2009

YOU CAN TRUST ME!*

My completely anecdotal LED experience is that I didn't really measure how much more efficient they were beforehand, but I replaced all my bulbs with LEDs 6 years ago and haven't had to replace a single bulb since.

But, I do have one that flickers and needs to be readjusted sometimes, but that may be an issue with the lamp socket.

I also prefer the light from them to incandescent bulbs and don't really get the "warm lighting" complaints people give as a reason for not switching.

I think the 30% of bulbs sold that were incandescent bulbs are mostly because the individual bulbs are a lot cheaper. But, LEDs have been coming down in price a lot. You're not going to get them for 39 cents anywhere, but you can regularly get them for around a $1 and the 30 to 60 cent price difference isn't that much compared to the much lower electricity usage and duration.

I'm sure a good chunk of people will be upset that they can't get a bulb for 50 cents anymore in 2023, though.

Epic High Five
Jun 5, 2004

My completely anecdotal LED experience is that I didn't really measure how much more efficient they were beforehand, but I replaced all my bulbs with LEDs 6 years ago and haven't had to replace a single bulb since.

But, I do have one that flickers and needs to be readjusted sometimes, but that may be an issue with the lamp socket.

I also prefer the light from them to incandescent bulbs and don't really get the "warm lighting" complaints people give as a reason for not switching.

I think the 30% of bulbs sold that were incandescent bulbs are mostly because the individual bulbs are a lot cheaper. But, LEDs have been coming down in price a lot. You're not going to get them for 39 cents anywhere, but you can regularly get them for around a $1 and the 30 to 60 cent price difference isn't that much compared to the much lower electricity usage and duration.

My power company sent me a big box of them for free like 4 years ago and I've still not had to dip back into them lol. They're more technically involved than normal ones tho so I can imagine a bad batch causing issues, but the old ones also had issues like that so I'm not inclined to hold it against them

VitalSigns
Sep 3, 2011

Epic High Five posted:

Ooh me

(USER WAS PUT ON PROBATION FOR THIS POST)

alf_pogs
Feb 15, 2012

Epic High Five posted:

damnit beaten

(USER WAS PUT ON PROBATION FOR THIS POST)

Epic High Five
Jun 5, 2004

Thank you, now I can process reports

alf_pogs posted:

damnit beaten

You know what, just because you were almost as quick on the draw I'll find another weed image to give you a 12er with, don't let it be said that I am not benevolent

small butter
Oct 8, 2011

WAR CRIME GIGOLO posted:

There could be more than just a bulb issue. You should get your electrical system checked out. Does your panel say "zinsco" or "Sylvania" or "federal Pacific"? If so you may have a bigger problem on your hands.

Do you have a 20A breaker on a lower than code specified gauge of wire? Do you have a transformer that has blown out or is failing?

Not defending big LED here but is it just one bulb or multiple?

Thanks, not sure about any of that but I will read about it now. Haven't noticed any electrical problems otherwise.

And it's a lot of dead LED bulbs. Most are Amazon branded since those are the only ones that did not hum.

The Sean
Apr 17, 2005

Am I handsome now?

but people are severely overselling it as a racial justice measure. When you are drilling down student loan forgiveness you need to remember that close to 90% of all Americans of any race don't have any. So, you are subdividing up an already small group and that makes it kind of misleading to frame it as racial justice issue.

What the gently caress are you talking about? Who is claiming what you say they're claiming? Like all of it. Welfare being brought up and everything.

The Sean fucked around with this message at 04:22 on Apr 28, 2022

ex post facho
Oct 25, 2007

Epic High Five posted:

Thank you, now I can process reports

You know what, just because you were almost as quick on the draw I'll find another weed image to give you a 12er with, don't let it be said that I am not benevolent

me plz

Epic High Five
Jun 5, 2004

Sorry please apply during the next application window, EHF's pool of funny weed images is much shallower than I'll admit I had thought it would be

Kalit
Nov 6, 2006

The great thing about the thousands of slaughtered Palestinian children is that they can't pull away when you fondle them or sniff their hair.

That's a Biden success story.

Jaxyon posted:

TheIncredulousHulk posted:

I mean right now his signature achievement is a highway bill so this would be a pretty big upgrade

Do y'all just not care much about us finally getting out of Afghanistan after 20 years?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Epic High Five
Jun 5, 2004

Actually pulling us out of Afghanistan despite the insane pushback from the mainstream press counts a lot in my book, I just wish my vote at the national level mattered enough to make it so it could feel like I was encouraging that sort of thing. Anyway looking forward to being the first state to be declared for Trump yet again lol