Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Butterfly Valley
Apr 19, 2007

I am a spectacularly bad poster and everyone in the Schadenfreude thread hates my guts.

Nooner posted:

as like a kind of cheaper build based off of their mid tier build with a better GPU. Would that like work? Has it right in my target price range. The notes says "The ARCTIC Freezer 34 eSports CPU Cooler may require a separately available mounting adapter to fit the Gigabyte B660M DS3H DDR4 Micro ATX LGA1700 Motherboard." but that is the same recommendation as OP mentioned, can anyone confirm if that works?

As CoolCab said, bin the Windows key and buy one for $15 in SAMart then take that saving and try to get a 3060ti, which is a significant step up from the 3060 and what you'd want for a good experience with a 1440p high refresh rate monitor.

Pegnose Pete posted:

I have this psu in my SFF build with an i3-12100 on an ASROCK itx board.
What’s my ceiling for GPUs in this thing? I’m watching prices drop and will probably grab one of the following based on price/sales in my region:
RTX 2060
RTX 3050
GTX 1660 (Ti or S)
That’s in order of preference, but I’m ordering through work and it needs to hit a certain price threshold.
Would all of them be fine on that PSU? I feel like a 3060 would be pushing it too far but that’s likely not going to be within my budget constraints anyway.

All of these would be fine. With 500W I'd say you'd be fine up to a 3060ti even. I have a 600W PSU powering my 3080.

Mestizo posted:

What do you guys think?

Fine

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

CoolCab
Apr 17, 2005

glem
you could also throw some additional storage in there, 500 gigs is going to fill up veeeeeery quickly. ideal if you have any hand me down parts, old SSDs are usually just fine and although old HDDs are much riskier in terms of data loss i'm still truckin.

the other downside is expansion, eventually. that board can support 2 m.2 devices and 4 sata 3 devices (older style 2.5 inch SSDs and HDDs). that should be more than enough for anyone but buying a 500gig drive means one of your precious two slots is only so large. you might be faced in future with the need to get rid of it to replace it with a larger drive which is a little wasteful.

Barry Foster
Dec 24, 2007

What is going wrong with that one (face is longer than it should be)

CoolCab posted:

you could also throw some additional storage in there, 500 gigs is going to fill up veeeeeery quickly. ideal if you have any hand me down parts, old SSDs are usually just fine and although old HDDs are much riskier in terms of data loss i'm still truckin.

the other downside is expansion, eventually. that board can support 2 m.2 devices and 4 sata 3 devices (older style 2.5 inch SSDs and HDDs). that should be more than enough for anyone but buying a 500gig drive means one of your precious two slots is only so large. you might be faced in future with the need to get rid of it to replace it with a larger drive which is a little wasteful.

I agree with this. I feel like a 1tb drive is the bare minimum these days, and the price difference isn't all that big - it'll very likely be a false economy further down the road, and as CC says, ewaste is a factor too

change my name
Aug 27, 2007

Legends die but anime is forever.

RIP The Lost Otakus.

CoolCab posted:

80 bucks seems like a lot for a bronze power supply, you might manage to get something cheaper on promo.

That exact PSU is my go-to for friends' budget builds and you're right, $80 is way too much. the last two I bought were $40 each

biceps crimes
Apr 12, 2008

I'm tired of canned air. Any good electric air duster recommendations?

Unsinkabear
Jun 8, 2013

Ensign, raise the beariscope.

Pilfered Pallbearers posted:

It’s actually bad to have all usb 3.0 ports. Certain things, especially wireless stuff like mouse/keyboard wireless adapters, perform poorly on 3.0.

Thanks for the heads-up on this. My wireless mouse has been wonky and sure enough, I plugged it into a 3.1 slot when I got this machine. Any other items I should be careful about when using those?

Nooner
Mar 26, 2011

AN A+ OPSTER (:
Sweet. Thanks for the advice thread, much appreciated!

change my name
Aug 27, 2007

Legends die but anime is forever.

RIP The Lost Otakus.

change my name posted:

I was just gifted a Razer AIO but I've heard Chroma is rear end for controlling LED stuff and I already have Corsair's thing installed, are there any good open-source LED control programs or is everything still siloed by manufacturer?

An unfortunate update on this: the AIO automatically installs Razer's Synapse software the first time you boot with it and it's the only way to control the fans since there's a hub built into the pump block. If you don't use it, the included fans will run at the maximum 2200 RPM at all times and sound like someone's fracking the inside of your case

Rexxed
May 1, 2010

Dis is amazing!
I gotta try dis!

bi crimes posted:

I'm tired of canned air. Any good electric air duster recommendations?

I've had a datavac duster for about 10 years and it's fine. My only real complaint about it is that it's corded and it was about $50 when I got it. The cord isn't necessarily bad because it's stronger than most canned air which is great for dust, and the cord is long so I can usually reach it outside where I dust stuff off, but I'm curious if the newer cordless ones with lithium batteries would be strong enough and easier to use. The datavac ones seem to have doubled in price in the last decade, too:
https://smile.amazon.com/s?k=Metro+Vacuum

Agreed
Dec 30, 2003

The price of meat has just gone up, and your old lady has just gone down

I too have had a Datavac duster for a decade and it's worked exactly the same since I got it and doesn't give any signs of stopping any time soon. I also paid half the current price for it, but even at the current price it beats canned air pretty fast if you are someone with a frequent need to dust electronics. I like that it is corded, because I perceive it as having a durable mechanism that will likely keep working the same way for a long long time, whereas if it were rechargable it'd probably have killed its internal battery life by now, and I'd rather plug in than worry about keeping a bunch of C or D batteries on hand as I imagine it would require to reach the level of airflow it achieves with its vacuum motor plus that'd make it really heavy I bet.

That said there is still an option under $50, no experience with this model but reviews seem good for it too.

Agreed fucked around with this message at 18:49 on Apr 25, 2022

codo27
Apr 21, 2008

Now that I've ordered a proper long HDMI cable to route from my office to the living room TV, I'll also want to be upgrading my bluetooth from the little USB dongle that has been a bit sketchy with the controller when trying to play previously (couch maybe 15-20' away with only the hall wall in between us).

I've located a m.2 wireless card thats approved in my mobo manual, and I've picked out a set of antennas to go with it. Anything to know when adding such a component or is it basically plug and play?

e: electric dusters are also a must have. I have this one at work, but I like the one I have at home better. We had the Datavacs at my old job and those were also superb.

codo27 fucked around with this message at 22:09 on Apr 25, 2022

Kia Soul Enthusias
May 9, 2004

zoom-zoom
Toilet Rascal
I don't know which one is best but I heartily recommend switching from canned air as they still contain potent greenhouse gasses last I checked.

Agreed
Dec 30, 2003

Anyone on Alder Lake taking the time to tighten RAM timings? I'm on DDR4 to help prevent platform costs from going totally nuts on me (and because for what I do, benches seem to show it to be six of one, half dozen of the other, except the half dozen is 3x as expensive) - I spent some time today and went from 3600mhz 18/22/22/42 2T down to 3600mhz 16/18/18/36 1T, stress testing stably - but I'm not even really sure to what advantage except it feels like I Did Something. Didn't change my Cinebench scores, but that is not as I understand it a very memory-reliant benchmark. I mean it can't hurt I guess?

Brooks Cracktackle
Oct 17, 2008

Agreed posted:

Anyone on Alder Lake taking the time to tighten RAM timings? I'm on DDR4 to help prevent platform costs from going totally nuts on me (and because for what I do, benches seem to show it to be six of one, half dozen of the other, except the half dozen is 3x as expensive) - I spent some time today and went from 3600mhz 18/22/22/42 2T down to 3600mhz 16/18/18/36 1T, stress testing stably - but I'm not even really sure to what advantage except it feels like I Did Something. Didn't change my Cinebench scores, but that is not as I understand it a very memory-reliant benchmark. I mean it can't hurt I guess?

Has anyone demonstrated if its even worth bothering anymore? I was under the impression that with most DDR4 RAM you're really just scraping the bottom of the performance gain barrel unless you chose some sort of really egregiously lovely stick to start with

Wickerman
Feb 26, 2007

Boom, mothafucka!
Picked up a 12700k and the ASUS TUF Z690 DDR4 board from Microcenter tonight. I ended up getting home pretty late so I figured I'd save the assembly for tomorrow. Are most people actually shimming the LGA1700 socket to prevent warp, or is it just one of those niche things that probably shouldn't matter? To me it seems like the warping might make thermals worse, which makes me inclined to do it.

Agreed
Dec 30, 2003

Brooks Cracktackle posted:

Has anyone demonstrated if its even worth bothering anymore? I was under the impression that with most DDR4 RAM you're really just scraping the bottom of the performance gain barrel unless you chose some sort of really egregiously lovely stick to start with

I wanted to get mine to at least match the timings shown in this testing where DDR4 does great :shrug:

Side note, my cinebench with 190W PLs is way higher than theirs at what I am assuming is full stock wattage of 241W, not sure why that is so low in the article but I'm testing comparable to the middle of the DDR5 pack there with 1975 single threaded and 27196 multi-threaded. Maybe some of the BIOS updates that noted performance improvements matter since that was last November's article.

I just figured if that's a solid timing I should aim to get to at least that, I mean, it seems like in theory it'd be some worse at CL18 with looser timings otherwise and 2T - isn't 2T conferring a performance hit kind of similar to running in Gear 2? DDR5 offsets that inherent reduction by being super high bandwidth, but I would think that limiting DDR4 would start to see some reduction in performance... But I'm honestly not very sure, I could just be tweaking it to tweak it at the end of the day.

BY THE WAY, if you're on an Asus board be seriously goddamn careful with Auto vcore, and don't change your multipliers on Alder Lake CPUs without setting VCore manually. My lovely new 12900K got, ever so briefly, a bit over 1.6V and booted into Windows at 54x/41x while I was trying to see if I could configure it to clock up higher than stock without running shitloads of power through it - because I had forgotten that resetting BIOS settings during all the RAM tuning had changed my offset and negative 0.05V back to Auto. It also set LLC to 4 instead of 3 at the same time. Thank goodness it kept my 190W PL1/PL2 in place, which probably acted as a guard rail to keep things from going truly to poo poo in the very brief time between exiting the BIOS, hearing my fans working way too hard for Windows login, seeing what the gently caress was going on in HWmonitor, and immediately restarting to fix the situation. Doesn't seem to have negatively affected the CPU, which I would hope it would not given that it couldn't put crazy current through it thanks to the power limits and because I didn't actually let it do anything like that at all, but it did at least scare the hell out of me and make it so I didn't get to sleep for another hour after the adrenaline wore off. Me personally I won't be worrying about trying to overclock this one again, it runs plenty fast at everything it does and 52x is already a nice high number, jesus.

Agreed fucked around with this message at 15:14 on Apr 26, 2022

roomtwofifteen
Jul 18, 2007

Anyone know if Lian Li is going to release an AIO with the new AL120 fans? I know they updated the Galahad with the SL120s last year, but I really want to avoid having to buy an AIO *and* a set of AL120s.

Peachfart
Jan 21, 2017

So I was looking at building a PC, and I get that video cards are disgustingly overpriced. But why are cases in the same position? The better ones all seem to be like 50% over msrp.

Grand Fromage
Jan 30, 2006

L-l-look at you bar-bartender, a-a pa-pathetic creature of meat and bone, un-underestimating my l-l-liver's ability to metab-meTABolize t-toxins. How can you p-poison a perfect, immortal alcohOLIC?

They're mostly made in China and shipping costs are hosed. Also since they're hollow they take up a lot of room for their weight, which makes them costly to ship anyway.

Pilfered Pallbearers
Aug 2, 2007

Peachfart posted:

So I was looking at building a PC, and I get that video cards are disgustingly overpriced. But why are cases in the same position? The better ones all seem to be like 50% over msrp.

If you live near microcenter they may have cases around MSRP.

Major Operation
Jan 1, 2006

Peachfart posted:

Which style of case are you looking for, in particular? Sometimes you can find cases and components that are overpriced on Amazon or the PCPartPicker lists at another site.

The Fractal Design cases I have seen on NewEgg seem close to their announced prices.

Dr. Video Games 0031
Jul 17, 2004

Major Operation posted:

Which style of case are you looking for, in particular? Sometimes you can find cases and components that are overpriced on Amazon or the PCPartPicker lists at another site.

The Fractal Design cases I have seen on NewEgg seem close to their announced prices.

Granted, Fractal Design's most recent cases were announced and priced with inflated shipping costs already in mind. Older cases like the P400A or 4000D Airflow are like 40% more expensive, going from around $70 to $100+. Just gotta suck it up and accept the extra $20 - $40 some of these models are going for.

Rinkles
Oct 24, 2010

What I'm getting at is...
Do you feel the same way?
If you're not in a hurry, there are occasional sales that bring the prices closer to the original MSRP.

Woot seems to have a Corsair case on sale every other day. Notably though, this is the non-airflow version of the 4000D. You can theoretically buy the airflow front panel from Corsair, but they're almost always OOS.

Pilfered Pallbearers
Aug 2, 2007

Rinkles posted:

If you're not in a hurry, there are occasional sales that bring the prices closer to the original MSRP.

Woot seems to have a Corsair case on sale every other day. Notably though, this is the non-airflow version of the 4000D. You can theoretically buy the airflow front panel from Corsair, but they're almost always OOS.

Airflow is on Amazon (Amazon owns woot) for like $94.

CoolCab
Apr 17, 2005

glem
IE asked for better name suggestions awhile back. what about PC Building Megathread: living vicariously through people who still have budget left since 2004

that's a spitball when this thread started i don't actually know, lol

CoolCab
Apr 17, 2005

glem
also if you're in the UK and are buying components CCL (who i have had nothing but good experiences with but I don't hold as highly as scan, who are bae) is doing some promos that might make it a bit easier. they all apply to sales which are already generally pretty competitive, so £30 off 350 (TGIPAYDAY) gets you a 5900x for £336 which is a crazy good price, or £75 off a £1000 spend (SAVE75) if you're buying a bunch of components at once.

for productivity you could do a lot worse.

err
Apr 11, 2005

I carry my own weight no matter how heavy this shit gets...
I am going to buy the https://www.newegg.com/Product/ComboDealDetails?ItemList=Combo.4492356 combo and a 3080. Can anyone recommend the remaining parts? I just need a case, PSU, 1TB SSD, CPU cooler, fans, and 32gb ram.

CoolCab
Apr 17, 2005

glem

err posted:

I am going to buy the https://www.newegg.com/Product/ComboDealDetails?ItemList=Combo.4492356 combo and a 3080. Can anyone recommend the remaining parts? I just need a case, PSU, 1TB SSD, CPU cooler, fans, and 32gb ram.

sweet! buh pass on case (my brain is saying fractal torrent but idk why), a gold or better 800w power supply from a reputable supplier (can go as low as 700 if your budget is tight). an SN550 or SN570. a 12700k requires a pretty decent cooling solution to hit high performance, so probably a dual tower for air ideally or a 240mm or bigger rad for water. arctic P12s are good price/performance fans, you can get a five pack for cheap sometimes, noctuas or something if you are optimizing acoustically and have money to burn. anything cl16 3600.

err
Apr 11, 2005

Thanks for the response. I'm avoiding water cooling -- I don't remember CPU fans being that expensive but it looks like one of the best ones -- will it fit in my case? That case was a bit much. But they all seem like a lot.

Any substitutes for anything? I'm not sure on some of these. The price is fine, but if possible I could go cheaper if there is better value elsewhere.

Also there is a note about the mobo and cpu fan: "The Noctua NH-D15 82.5 CFM CPU Cooler may require a separately available mounting adapter to fit the MSI MAG Z690 TOMAHAWK WIFI DDR4 ATX LGA1700 Motherboard." Do I need an adapter for this?

PCPartPicker Part List

CPU: Intel Core i7-12700K 3.6 GHz 12-Core Processor ($339.99 @ Newegg)
CPU Cooler: Noctua NH-D15 82.5 CFM CPU Cooler ($99.95 @ Amazon)
Motherboard: MSI MAG Z690 TOMAHAWK WIFI DDR4 ATX LGA1700 Motherboard ($269.99 @ Amazon)
Memory: Corsair Vengeance LPX 32 GB (2 x 16 GB) DDR4-3600 CL18 Memory ($139.99 @ Amazon)
Storage: Samsung 970 Evo Plus 1 TB M.2-2280 NVME Solid State Drive ($102.64 @ GameStop)
Video Card: EVGA GeForce RTX 3080 12GB LHR 12 GB FTW3 ULTRA GAMING Video Card ($1090.82 @ Amazon)
Case: Lian Li Lancool II Mesh ATX Mid Tower Case ($188.57 @ Amazon)
Power Supply: EVGA SuperNOVA GA 850 W 80+ Gold Certified Fully Modular ATX Power Supply ($114.99 @ Amazon)
Total: $2346.94
Prices include shipping, taxes, and discounts when available
Generated by PCPartPicker 2022-04-27 14:49 EDT-0400

CoolCab
Apr 17, 2005

glem
a d15 is an institution, it's been challenged lately but was widely considered the "best" air cooler for a long time if i recall and is still a loving monster. that will cool a 12700k even overclocked just fine. you can probably go find videos of people benching that specific combo even. because you are using a new chip there may be oult stock out there that predates the backplate for the 12th gen motherboards specifically, but if you contact noctua with proof of purchase they will ship you one, i think for free. they will also do this in future if you want to keep using the cooler on future builds, you might need to replace the fans but the cooler itself will last for basically ever.

that is a VERY nice case. i went with considerably cheaper (a white corsair icue 220T, i like the front panel but it's kind of marmitey) which i think you can get for roughly half that on promo with the same number of fans, and then spent the difference on a bunch of additional fans. somewhat counterintuitively if you're chasing silence more fans is more better, since generally fans have a dramatic reduction of acoustic performance over about 75ish. sick looking case though and i bet you have a lot of cable management and other QoL features with it.

a 5 pack of cheap arctic f12 (but get the p12 if possible if you wanna go this route since pressure is better than flow in most positive pressure chassis setups) casefans set to like 30 at all times except during thermal emergencies where they spin the gently caress up is how i configed mine. if you do get fans understand that there are 3 pin or DC controlled fans or slightly fancier 4 pin or PWM fans, which have a control pin. 4 pin is usually a little more expensive but honestly it's not the most predictive factor in quality so i normally wouldn't shop on it. they can both be controlled by the motherboard and most motherboards can do either, but if they're set to the wrong one they'll just spin at 100% and make a ton of noise, and you can't use a Y splitter for two different fan types.

you could go a little cheaper on the storage, the performance gains between the SN550 tier product and that one is still very very small. if you have budget spare a 2TB drive could be a longer term solution and usually aren't that much more expensive, although YMMV there. you can also transplant over any storage you have.

Shumagorath
Jun 6, 2001
I have the D-15S and with the Asus stock fan curve it keeps my 12700K under 55ºC playing Cyberpunk maxed out. Not sure if I've ever forced it higher. You also save yourself the space taken up by the second fan, which you won't need in a good case.

Noctua's site should specify, but every kit packaged since the middle of last year has the LGA1700 hardware.

Kia Soul Enthusias
May 9, 2004

zoom-zoom
Toilet Rascal
Ooh it's back in stock now, it was out when I was ordering. I got a Corsair AIO and it's very nice although I dislike the pump noise.
edit: The thing I thought was a pump noise was an old case fan :) New case arrives later this week

Kia Soul Enthusias fucked around with this message at 00:25 on Apr 28, 2022

Dr. Video Games 0031
Jul 17, 2004

err posted:

Thanks for the response. I'm avoiding water cooling -- I don't remember CPU fans being that expensive but it looks like one of the best ones -- will it fit in my case? That case was a bit much. But they all seem like a lot.

Any substitutes for anything? I'm not sure on some of these. The price is fine, but if possible I could go cheaper if there is better value elsewhere.

Also there is a note about the mobo and cpu fan: "The Noctua NH-D15 82.5 CFM CPU Cooler may require a separately available mounting adapter to fit the MSI MAG Z690 TOMAHAWK WIFI DDR4 ATX LGA1700 Motherboard." Do I need an adapter for this?

PCPartPicker Part List

CPU: Intel Core i7-12700K 3.6 GHz 12-Core Processor ($339.99 @ Newegg)
CPU Cooler: Noctua NH-D15 82.5 CFM CPU Cooler ($99.95 @ Amazon)
Motherboard: MSI MAG Z690 TOMAHAWK WIFI DDR4 ATX LGA1700 Motherboard ($269.99 @ Amazon)
Memory: Corsair Vengeance LPX 32 GB (2 x 16 GB) DDR4-3600 CL18 Memory ($139.99 @ Amazon)
Storage: Samsung 970 Evo Plus 1 TB M.2-2280 NVME Solid State Drive ($102.64 @ GameStop)
Video Card: EVGA GeForce RTX 3080 12GB LHR 12 GB FTW3 ULTRA GAMING Video Card ($1090.82 @ Amazon)
Case: Lian Li Lancool II Mesh ATX Mid Tower Case ($188.57 @ Amazon)
Power Supply: EVGA SuperNOVA GA 850 W 80+ Gold Certified Fully Modular ATX Power Supply ($114.99 @ Amazon)
Total: $2346.94
Prices include shipping, taxes, and discounts when available
Generated by PCPartPicker 2022-04-27 14:49 EDT-0400

You're overspending on a few of these components. First off, with regards to the GPU, the 3080 12GB is $1000 on Newegg, or the 10GB version is $890. These are listed as back order, but they were in stock very recently and I doubt the wait time is very long. And besides, you've been waiting for months already, so what's another few days? (edit: not to mention that amazon listing is from a third-party seller who may take a while to ship to you anyway)

Secondly, the Lancool II Mesh is much cheaper on Newegg right now: https://www.newegg.com/Black-LIAN-LI-Lancool-II-Performance-ATX-Mid-Tower/p/2AM-000Z-00086 (note the additional 10% off promo code)

Thirdly, the Supernova GA has had issues in the past with power spikes from the high-end ampere graphics cards. The Super Flower Leadex III is a very good power supply that's on sale currently for $105 after a promo code, so I recommend that instead.

The SN570 is going to perform almost identically to the 970 Pro except for maybe lengthy file transfers, where it'll be a little slower. For most normal uses, you won't notice a difference, making it a good way to save another $20.

Dr. Video Games 0031 fucked around with this message at 22:55 on Apr 27, 2022

Pilfered Pallbearers
Aug 2, 2007

Dr. Video Games 0031 posted:

You're overspending on a few of these components. First off, with regards to the GPU, the 3080 12GB is $1000 on Newegg, or the 10GB version is $890. These are listed as back order, but they were in stock very recently and I doubt the wait time is very long. And besides, you've been waiting for months already, so what's another few days?

Secondly, the Lancool II Mesh is much cheaper on Newegg right now: https://www.newegg.com/Black-LIAN-LI-Lancool-II-Performance-ATX-Mid-Tower/p/2AM-000Z-00086 (note the additional 10% off promo code)

Thirdly, the Supernova GA has had issues in the past with power spikes from the high-end ampere graphics cards. The Super Flower Leadex III is a very good power supply that's on sale currently for $105 after a promo code, so I recommend that instead.

The SN570 is going to perform almost identically to the 970 Pro except for maybe lengthy file transfers, where it'll be a little slower. For most normal uses, you won't notice a difference, making it a good way to save another $20.

I paid $150 for that exact PSU for my 3080 and it’s perfect and wonderful. Been using it since release week of the 3080 and no issues.

Shumagorath
Jun 6, 2001
Does anyone have a set of fan curves they like with the Torrent in Asus Qfan, Argus, or the fan control app of your choice? I haven't paid for Argus yet (nor am I keen to given the non-perpetual license) so anything that does hysteresis is good with me provided I can avoid Ai Suite. I've never done "thermal emergency" step curves / steep slopes but I'd be willing to try if it's not going to fry my fans or chips.

E: should probably specify... the case fans spin down almost immediately if I alt-tab out of Cyberpunk so I think I'm being too aggressive by pegging the 180mms to the CPU and the 140mms to the GPU hotspot. I'm probably limited by the Noctua DH-15S and EVGA FTW3 coolers more than the case fans.

CPU fan is on BIOS control out of paranoia, but it's also the only one I can get to completely stop if I switch it over to Argus.

Shumagorath fucked around with this message at 04:29 on Apr 28, 2022

err
Apr 11, 2005

Dr. Video Games 0031 posted:

You're overspending on a few of these components. First off, with regards to the GPU, the 3080 12GB is $1000 on Newegg, or the 10GB version is $890.

Yeah, I just added that in there to give people an idea of my build. I'm going to wait until the 12gb drops to under 1k on EVGAs website or Newegg most likely.

I really wanted to wait until the 4XXX series but I don't want to risk it with the state of the world. It's already replacing a 970 so I'll definitely be good for a long time.

Thank you for the other links.

Dr. Video Games 0031
Jul 17, 2004

err posted:

Yeah, I just added that in there to give people an idea of my build. I'm going to wait until the 12gb drops to under 1k on EVGAs website or Newegg most likely.

I really wanted to wait until the 4XXX series but I don't want to risk it with the state of the world. It's already replacing a 970 so I'll definitely be good for a long time.

Thank you for the other links.

https://discord.com/invite/gpudrops

Go here, sign up to get 3080 notifications, mute all the stock alert channels other than evga-us (there's a lot of noise, and i haven't seen any other sites sell them for cheaper), and then watch for notifications between 1PM and 3PM eastern time each weekday. EVGA dropped the 3080 12GB XC3 for $980 earlier at around 2:20PM. I don't know when it went out of stock, but it was gone by 3:30. You can use an associate code at checkout to save a further 3% (bringing the price down to around $950). Mine is 1QM38CC8XURHUFO.

The 3060 Ti XC also went on sale for $440 two days in a row now at around 1:30 eastern, for anyone interested in that. That one sells out fast.

edit: Though this is technically $980 when accounting for the mail-in rebate if you don't want to go through the hassle.

Dr. Video Games 0031 fucked around with this message at 07:00 on Apr 28, 2022

Wibla
Feb 16, 2011

Shumagorath posted:

Does anyone have a set of fan curves they like with the Torrent in Asus Qfan, Argus, or the fan control app of your choice? I haven't paid for Argus yet (nor am I keen to given the non-perpetual license) so anything that does hysteresis is good with me provided I can avoid Ai Suite. I've never done "thermal emergency" step curves / steep slopes but I'd be willing to try if it's not going to fry my fans or chips.

E: should probably specify... the case fans spin down almost immediately if I alt-tab out of Cyberpunk so I think I'm being too aggressive by pegging the 180mms to the CPU and the 140mms to the GPU hotspot. I'm probably limited by the Noctua DH-15S and EVGA FTW3 coolers more than the case fans.

CPU fan is on BIOS control out of paranoia, but it's also the only one I can get to completely stop if I switch it over to Argus.

Tuning case fans is a process, usually involving a fair bit of trial and error.

Jayztwocents has a video about a new open source fan control software that might be worth looking at. Phone posting atm so don't have a link.

Rinkles
Oct 24, 2010

What I'm getting at is...
Do you feel the same way?

Wibla posted:

Tuning case fans is a process, usually involving a fair bit of trial and error.

Jayztwocents has a video about a new open source fan control software that might be worth looking at. Phone posting atm so don't have a link.

If it's the one I tried (from the LTT forums), it didn't play nice with my motherboard. Iirc, it had issues controlling Gigabyte stuff.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Argona
Feb 16, 2009

I don't want to go on living the boring life of a celestial forever.

How often do most people upgrade their CPU? I have a a B450 motherboard and a ryzen 3600. Should I upgrade to a 5800x3d? Would I have to upgrade my motherboard as well? I'm not particularly dying for an upgrade or anything and was originally planning to wait, but I've been noticing the occasional hitch in risk of rain 2. I'm not really a AAA gamer, so I can wait for a good DDR5 board if thats the better play.