Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

OwlFancier
Aug 22, 2013

DesperateDan posted:

This day is called the feast of Ed Balls:
They that posted that day, and came safe home,
Will stand a tip-toe when the day is named,
And rouse them at the name of Ed Balls.
They shall live this day, and see old age,
Will yearly on the vigil feast their neighbours,
And say ‘To-morrow is Ed Balls day:’
They will strip their rap sheet and show their sixers.
And say ‘These wounds I had on Ed Balls day.’

ed balls

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Gonzo McFee
Jun 19, 2010
British Journalists: We are fearless truth tellers and we will not be censored

The British Journalism they're talking about :https://twitter.com/spectator/status/1519580756888236034?s=19

OwlFancier
Aug 22, 2013

"Cosmo Landesman" is also the name of the guy in the painting.

The Perfect Element
Dec 5, 2005
"This is a bit of a... a poof song"
I am very belatedly reading Captain Corellis Mandolin, which i always completely disregarded cos the movie adaptation starred Nicholas Cage before he became meta.

However, I'm really enjoying it... Its beautifully written, and in general is quite optimistic in its romance, so it's like a nice warm bath.

I can sort of imagine the author is pretty melty, but nevrrmind.

TACD
Oct 27, 2000

quote:

I confess that I look at attractive women on public transport regularly. And sometimes a look probably lingers a bit too long. I still have the hope that maybe one day those beautiful eyes across from me will look back with pure adoration: the old love-at-first-sight fantasy. Does this make me pathetic? Yes. Does it make me a perv? No.

Guavanaut
Nov 27, 2009

Looking At Them Tittys
1969 - 1998

Toilet Rascal

His Divine Shadow
Aug 7, 2000

I'm not a fascist. I'm a priest. Fascists dress up in black and tell people what to do.

ijyt
Apr 10, 2012

Boss has covid, end up having to break my WfH streak, work immediately goes "gov says everything is okay dont wear masks anymore pls :)".

Its a cramped af building. Love ingerland.

Lungboy
Aug 23, 2002

NEED SQUAT FORM HELP

OwlFancier posted:

"Cosmo Landesman" is also the name of the guy in the painting.

"Cosmo Landesman (born September 1954[1]) is a British-based American-born journalist and editor. With his former wife Julie Burchill and friend Toby Young, he founded the magazine Modern Review."

What a cursed bio.

Borrovan
Aug 15, 2013

IT IS ME.
🧑‍💼
I AM THERESA MAY

ijyt posted:

Boss has covid, end up having to break my WfH streak, work immediately goes "gov says everything is okay dont wear masks anymore pls :)".

This gov? vvv
https://www.gov.uk/guidance/living-...-or-a-face-mask

TACD
Oct 27, 2000

Lungboy posted:

"Cosmo Landesman (born September 1954[1]) is a British-based American-born journalist and editor. With his former wife Julie Burchill and friend Toby Young, he founded the magazine Modern Review."

What a cursed bio.
Until I Googled him I assumed “Cosmo Landesman” was just a pen name shared by any of the staff who wanted to post gross horny content

Guavanaut
Nov 27, 2009

Looking At Them Tittys
1969 - 1998

Toilet Rascal
A nom de pute, or peen name.

Borrovan
Aug 15, 2013

IT IS ME.
🧑‍💼
I AM THERESA MAY

Well this doesn't look good
https://twitter.com/BestForBritain/status/1519398928432742400
(context)

forkboy84
Jun 13, 2012

Corgis love bread. And Puro

ijyt posted:

Ask for danger pay or just wear the mask anyway

Lord of the Llamas
Jul 9, 2002

EULER'VE TO SEE IT VENN SOMEONE CALLS IT THE WRONG THING AND PROVOKES MY WRATH

Lungboy posted:

What a cursed bio.

The titles of all his historical Spectator articles are an absolute trip.

therattle
Jul 24, 2007
Soiled Meat

It's depressing as gently caress. It's not so much a slow slide towards fascism and authoritarianism as a gleeful plunge.

forkboy84 posted:

Ask for danger pay or just wear the mask anyway

Yes, but ideally other people would be wearing masks too. So thy could all protect each other.

Barry Foster
Dec 24, 2007

What is going wrong with that one (face is longer than it should be)

so the implicit becomes ever more explicit

Bobby Deluxe
May 9, 2004

I love the idea that this is a 'failure to whip' on Labour's part given Keith's history of letting issues through by abstaining.

I've said it before, all of his political experience is from the may brexit voting bullshit, when there was a hung parliament and you could get away with being clever by letting a bill through and then neutering it in the amendments. You can't do that against a majority government.

Darth Walrus
Feb 13, 2012

Bobby Deluxe posted:

I love the idea that this is a 'failure to whip' on Labour's part given Keith's history of letting issues through by abstaining.

I've said it before, all of his political experience is from the may brexit voting bullshit, when there was a hung parliament and you could get away with being clever by letting a bill through and then neutering it in the amendments. You can't do that against a majority government.

Starmer Project reveals the May Brexit voting bullshit was mainly about him deliberately sabotaging Corbyn and May's attempts to secure a soft Brexit deal. This one appears to be born out of a complacent assumption that Labour will win in 2024 and all this antidemocratic bullshit will serve to benefit them.

The Question IRL
Jun 8, 2013

Only two contestants left! Here is Doom's chance for revenge...

It wouldn't be the first time that Boris Johnson's carless attitude to speaking without ever considering the consequences has gotten someone hurt.

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Nazanin_Zaghari-Ratcliffe

Jedit
Dec 10, 2011

Proudly supporting vanilla legends 1994-2014

Darth Walrus posted:

Starmer Project reveals the May Brexit voting bullshit was mainly about him deliberately sabotaging Corbyn and May's attempts to secure a soft Brexit deal. This one appears to be born out of a complacent assumption that Labour will win in 2024 and all this antidemocratic bullshit will serve to benefit them.

No, it's because he's beyond any shadow of reasonable doubt an MI5/Tory plant. You can't make a "complacent assumption" that the attempt to end the impartiality of elections is going to benefit you once you win unless you're on the side that is currently winning, because the whole loving point of such a move is to make sure that nobody else ever wins.

Private Speech
Mar 30, 2011

I HAVE EVEN MORE WORTHLESS BEANIE BABIES IN MY COLLECTION THAN I HAVE WORTHLESS POSTS IN THE BEANIE BABY THREAD YET I STILL HAVE THE TEMERITY TO CRITICIZE OTHERS' COLLECTIONS

IF YOU SEE ME TALKING ABOUT BEANIE BABIES, PLEASE TELL ME TO

EAT. SHIT.

From the article:

quote:

The increasingly bitter row is threatening to further tarnish the government’s reputation over constitutional issues, following the unlawful prorogation of parliament in 2019, the Owen Paterson lobbying controversy last year and the ongoing “Partygate” scandal.

Things mattering status: Not.

Well in the "this time everyone will turn against the Tories" sense, anyway; it does make things measurably more poo poo.

Jeherrin
Jun 7, 2012
Small fry perhaps, given that our elections are going to get a lot less fair, but apparently there’s a chance my home borough (Wandsworth) could end its ~40 year run of Conservatives running the council. The local labour manifesto doesn’t look terrible - more recycling, better green spaces, protected cycling, 1000 apprenticeships, living wage stuff, more affordable housing, etc. There’s the inevitable MORE COPS MORE CCTV. They also want to bring the Northern Line to Clapham Junction, which my one-time London Transport/TfL friend reckons is a great idea but largely a nonstarter.

I’m not holding by breath (just my nose…) but it would be interesting if it flipped. Wandsworth isn’t a bad place to live. It hasn’t outsourced all its refuse collection to Veolia for which I’m grateful. During Covid my house was part of a LTN and it was lovely, but sadly they backed down because people got weirdly, weirdly unhinged about them. Council tax is literally lower than it was when I lived in Glasgow, even when you factor in that Scottish council tax includes water and I had the single person’s discount. Somehow in spite of that the streets are clean and we have libraries, at least one of which Glasgow is failing at.

We’ll see. I have a note in my diary that just says ‘vote the Tory cunts out’.

Jeherrin fucked around with this message at 11:32 on Apr 28, 2022

big scary monsters
Sep 2, 2011

-~Skullwave~-

Lungboy posted:

What a cursed bio.

Either we found the one person who is willing to admit to being friends with Toby Young, or Toby Young has been editing Wikipedia.

Lord of the Llamas
Jul 9, 2002

EULER'VE TO SEE IT VENN SOMEONE CALLS IT THE WRONG THING AND PROVOKES MY WRATH

big scary monsters posted:

Either we found the one person who is willing to admit to being friends with Toby Young, or Toby Young has been editing Wikipedia.

Was he one of the guys that didn't go on Toby Young's stag do?

peanut-
Feb 17, 2004
Fun Shoe

Jeherrin posted:

Council tax is literally lower than it was when I lived in Glasgow, even when you factor in that Scottish council tax includes water and I had the single person’s discount. Somehow in spite of that the streets are clean and we have libraries, at least one of which Glasgow is failing at.

afaik there's not much of a secret to this, Wandsworth just has a much higher percentage of homes that pay council tax and a much lower percentage of poor people than most other London boroughs or large cities.

therattle
Jul 24, 2007
Soiled Meat

peanut- posted:

afaik there's not much of a secret to this, Wandsworth just has a much higher percentage of homes that pay council tax and a much lower percentage of poor people than most other London boroughs or large cities.

Ah, so the secret to clean street and libraries is having fewer poor people. *takes notes*

NotJustANumber99
Feb 15, 2012

somehow that last av was even worse than your posting
If the local council is doing such a good job, and for such a low cost, why do you want them voted out?

Tesseraction
Apr 5, 2009

Have any of your heard about the Our Future Health research program? I was asked to do a survey about it and potentially be asked to join it in future.

On its face it seems legitimate but if someone can tell me it's actually an organ harvesting scheme I'd appreciate the heads up.

Jaeluni Asjil
Apr 18, 2018

Sorry I thought you were a landlord when I gave you your old avatar!
Why do people assume that a comment such as "World leaders are not interested in world peace because the arms trade is so lucrative" instantly makes you a Putin-shill?

josh04
Oct 19, 2008

"THE FLASH IS THE REASON
TO RACE TO THE THEATRES"

This title contains sponsored content.

The Perfect Element posted:

I am very belatedly reading Captain Corellis Mandolin, which i always completely disregarded cos the movie adaptation starred Nicholas Cage before he became meta.

However, I'm really enjoying it... Its beautifully written, and in general is quite optimistic in its romance, so it's like a nice warm bath.

I can sort of imagine the author is pretty melty, but nevrrmind.

de Bernières is, bafflingly, a pro-Boris Brexiteer.

Guavanaut
Nov 27, 2009

Looking At Them Tittys
1969 - 1998

Toilet Rascal
Boorish Boris's Mandarin, a tale about a man who has to be stopped from reading racist poems on every stop of a journey across the mysterious Orient.

Jaeluni Asjil posted:

Why do people assume that a comment such as "World leaders are not interested in world peace because the arms trade is so lucrative" instantly makes you a Putin-shill?
Are they the same people who assume that a comment like "I don't think the al-Nusra Front should be helped to run Syria" makes one a raging Assadist?

Gort
Aug 18, 2003

Good day what ho cup of tea

Jeherrin posted:

I have a note in my diary that just says ‘vote the Tory cunts out’.

I appreciate the sentiment, but the problem with council elections is that even if you vote the tories out of your council, the tory central government gets to decide how much funding your council gets, so the now non-tory council gets to take flak for cutting services.

Plus the tories have form on cutting the budgets of non-tory councils while leaving their own the same.

Not saying don't vote them out, to be clear, just expect them to get to gently caress you anyway.

sebzilla
Mar 17, 2009

Kid's blasting everything in sight with that new-fangled musket.

josh04 posted:

de Bernières is, bafflingly, a pro-Boris Brexiteer.

That's a shame, his books are great. Big fan of his South American trilogy in particular.

https://twitter.com/PhilipProudfoot/status/1519622801275207682?t=H9tgNzbDgzrFENXALzSGNA&s=19

Labour trying to squeeze into the wafer of political space to the right of the Lib Dems is certainly a classic strategy. Lol if the net result is pushing Ed Davey left into the Charlie Kennedy zone.

Dabir
Nov 10, 2012

Ed who?

josh04
Oct 19, 2008

"THE FLASH IS THE REASON
TO RACE TO THE THEATRES"

This title contains sponsored content.

Dabir posted:

Ed who?

Traditionally, MPs who want to resign at the next election are appointed to the position of Royal Squirrelhawk, with its ceremonial yellow rosette.

Darth Walrus
Feb 13, 2012

Jedit posted:

No, it's because he's beyond any shadow of reasonable doubt an MI5/Tory plant. You can't make a "complacent assumption" that the attempt to end the impartiality of elections is going to benefit you once you win unless you're on the side that is currently winning, because the whole loving point of such a move is to make sure that nobody else ever wins.

Labour is currently polling ten points ahead of the Tories. If you don't think that's enough to make the Labour right instantly assume that they're the new party of government and that they no longer have to worry about trivialities like wholesale government election rigging, then you've never met one of them. Their arrogance is outright Swinsonian.

Jaeluni Asjil
Apr 18, 2018

Sorry I thought you were a landlord when I gave you your old avatar!

Darth Walrus posted:

Labour is currently polling ten points ahead of the Tories. If you don't think that's enough to make the Labour right instantly assume that they're the new party of government and that they no longer have to worry about trivialities like wholesale government election rigging, then you've never met one of them. Their arrogance is outright Swinsonian.

I bring you - The Sheffield Rally of 1992. "We're alright". They lost.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=7TOgB3Smvro

Jeherrin
Jun 7, 2012

NotJustANumber99 posted:

If the local council is doing such a good job, and for such a low cost, why do you want them voted out?

Because as someone with a nontraditional path through education more apprenticeships is a good thing. Because it took labour councillors ten years of pressure to get a pocket playpark of under 100 square meters built (that’s now very busy) because tories are cunts.

I guess the joke is on me for responding this most obvious of trolls.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Guavanaut
Nov 27, 2009

Looking At Them Tittys
1969 - 1998

Toilet Rascal

Dabir posted:

Ed who?
Ed & Davey, voted worst Hall & Oates tribute band three years in a row.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=cSJceGMH8V8

Love the other implication that starmer will come down hard on drugs crime by using nuclear weapons.