Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Duckman2008
Jan 6, 2010

TFW you see Flyers goaltending.
Grimey Drawer
It doesn’t have to be a one or the other. You can use something like Apple Music for streaming (the above post saying you’re paying for convenience is spot on), and then you can always pop over the stuff not on the main service via download, cloud or computer.

If you don’t want to have streaming , then just don’t pay the $10 a month.

The only real argument against streaming otherwise is absolutely it pays garbage to smaller artists. That’s a whole other can of worms, so I will just say, having “worked” very briefly in music , that the entire music industry is completely rigged , and even if it paid more, the 3 major labels (which own a good portion of Spotify btw) would siphon off any extra money anyway. With the exception of band camp, most money never makes it to the artist. Which of course is depressing.

That said, I have Apple Music, even with said ethics on payments, it isn’t going away, so I’ll use it and occasionally buy extra stuff from local / small artists to try and support them that way.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

emdash
Oct 19, 2003

and?
there's also resonate.coop which (as the URL implies) is a cooperative. Might be important at some point since Epic bought bandcamp and who knows what may happen to that site

Question Mark Mound
Jun 14, 2006

Tokyo Crystal Mew
Dancing Godzilla

Endless Mike posted:

If you have a computer, you can create a smart playlist that's just uploaded/matched songs, then download that on your phone.
I tried that - an "All Songs" playlist with 11,623 tracks in it and hit the download button while on strong wifi and left it overnight and the next day. I don't think I've yet come across a song it actually downloaded. Definitely won't be subscribing after the free trial ends, but honestly may just cancel it early.

Gay Retard posted:

This is "iPods suck because you're forced to use iTunes while my Creative Zen uses Windows Explorer drag and drop" all over again.
I mean, even here in The iPhone Thread we all agree that iTunes is awful though.

The Lord Bude
May 23, 2007

ASK ME ABOUT MY SHITTY, BOUGIE INTERIOR DECORATING ADVICE
iTunes on windows is godawful yes. It was one of the things that kept me from buying an iPhone 4 back in the day before ota updates and Apple Music.

Kirios
Jan 26, 2010

Man I feel like the last person in the world who subscribes (and really enjoys!) to Pandora.

The Lord Bude
May 23, 2007

ASK ME ABOUT MY SHITTY, BOUGIE INTERIOR DECORATING ADVICE

Kirios posted:

Man I feel like the last person in the world who subscribes (and really enjoys!) to Pandora.

I liked it back in the day; but I moved to Apple Music when it launched and then they discontinued support in Australia anyhow.

Binary Badger
Oct 11, 2005

Trolling Link for a decade

:siren: Apple announces Self Service Repair for iPhone 12 / 13 / SE second generation! :siren:

https://www.apple.com/newsroom/2022/04/apples-self-service-repair-now-available/

You can now order your own parts like displays, batteries, and cameras.

You can also rent toolkits on a weekly basis if you don't feel like hunting down pentalobe bits yourself.

Inner Light
Jan 2, 2020

Binary Badger posted:

:siren: Apple announces Self Service Repair for iPhone 12 / 13 / SE second generation! :siren:

https://www.apple.com/newsroom/2022/04/apples-self-service-repair-now-available/

You can also rent toolkits on a weekly basis if you don't feel like hunting down pentalobe bits yourself.

This is Big iPhone News and I saw it first here on SA, thanks for sharing.

I especially like the repair manuals, I wish other companies like car manufacturers would make them available for free, but I am guessing they are a significant revenue stream from dealers and repair shops.

Here's the new iPhone 13 Pro repair manual for example: https://manuals.info.apple.com/MANUALS/2000/MA2074/en_US/iphone-13-pro-07300324A-repair.pdf (PDF warning 56k no)

Louis Rossmann must be feeling a certain type of way this morning if he's not already on a 12 hour livestream poring through the stuff.

Inner Light fucked around with this message at 15:11 on Apr 27, 2022

Happy Noodle Boy
Jul 3, 2002

Oh baybee I can now replace my 13 mini battery if they stop making minis? Let’s goooooo

Binary Badger
Oct 11, 2005

Trolling Link for a decade

Inner Light posted:

Louis Rossmann must be feeling a certain type of way this morning if he's not already on a 12 hour livestream poring through the stuff.

Louis cursing Apple under his breath for eliminating half his walk-ins

Oh yeah, the tool kit that Apple will rent you weighs 80 POUNDS and comes in a wheeled case!

https://appleinsider.com/articles/22/04/27/apples-iphone-repair-tool-kit-that-it-rents-is-wheeled-and-weighs-79-pounds

You gotta use their wacky battery press to make sure your phone holds together after you replace the parts, I bet that's whats taking so much tonnage. It ain't the hand tools that weigh a ton, that's for sure.

Binary Badger fucked around with this message at 15:29 on Apr 27, 2022

Henrik Zetterberg
Dec 7, 2007

Kirios posted:

I’ve been subscribed to Apple Music since the beginning and love it.

That said, I just forked out a year sub to Pandora because it’s radio station algos are light years ahead of AM. More variety, more discovery, and you can actually curate individual stations. I have NO clue why Apple Music used to let you do this, but then out of nowhere, removed the most basic function of a streaming radio station. It’s horribly annoying that love/dislike are account-wide and not specific to stations. It makes no sense.

Arivia
Mar 17, 2011

Henrik Zetterberg posted:

I’ve been subscribed to Apple Music since the beginning and love it.

That said, I just forked out a year sub to Pandora because it’s radio station algos are light years ahead of AM. More variety, more discovery, and you can actually curate individual stations. I have NO clue why Apple Music used to let you do this, but then out of nowhere, removed the most basic function of a streaming radio station. It’s horribly annoying that love/dislike are account-wide and not specific to stations. It makes no sense.

Pandora has a patent on it, I think: https://patents.justia.com/patent/9741067

TVs Ian
Jun 1, 2000

Such graceful, delicate creatures.
I wonder how they handle the pairing on parts. I work in a phone repair shop that's part of the IRP program, and we have to use a Mac program to pair displays on pre-12 iPhones, and their diagnostic site to pair batteries and iPhone 12 and later displays. And I think cameras on the 12 and later too, though we can't do the front/face ID cameras yet.

Do they just give everyone access to the diagnostic site now or do you have to call them to start the appropriate one (it's all OTA once it's started)? But I guess that also explains why they 're not doing it for the 11 and earlier.

Jose Oquendo
Jun 20, 2004

Star Trek: The Motion Picture is a boring movie

Binary Badger posted:

Something to keep in mind is that even with the self repair option, you might be ahead to have Apple do it anyway. It costs $69 for an OOW battery replacement for most current phones. The battery bundle for the iPhone 13 mini, for example, is $48 after you return the bad battery. Is it worth saving $20 but assuming all the risk on the repair, plus having to rent or buy the tools necessary, and the time it takes to do the repair?

Endless Mike
Aug 13, 2003

Jose Oquendo posted:

Something to keep in mind is that even with the self repair option, you might be ahead to have Apple do it anyway. It costs $69 for an OOW battery replacement for most current phones. The battery bundle for the iPhone 13 mini, for example, is $48 after you return the bad battery. Is it worth saving $20 but assuming all the risk on the repair, plus having to rent or buy the tools necessary, and the time it takes to do the repair?

There's some poor souls out there who don't live near an Apple Store to do this.

Henrik Zetterberg
Dec 7, 2007

Arivia posted:

Pandora has a patent on it, I think: https://patents.justia.com/patent/9741067

That's the only thing that would actually make sense on why they stripped the functionality out I suppose. Bummer. Can you curate Spotify radio stations in a similar way?

Inner Light
Jan 2, 2020

Endless Mike posted:

There's some poor souls out there who don't live near an Apple Store to do this.

Yep. The news release had a stat, in USA 80% of Apple customers live within 20 minutes of an authorized service provider.

MrBond
Feb 19, 2004

FYI, Cheese NIPS are not the same as Cheez ITS

Anton Chigurh posted:

Check your righteousness at the rave door, please.

Counterpoint, the carbon footprint of music streaming vs. playing what you've downloaded or ripped is substantial:

Protect the Planet: Stop Streaming Songs

Counter counter point - apple cloud stuff is carbon neutral and on renewable energy.

Weedle
May 31, 2006

literally who gives a gently caress the scramble to get off russian oil and gas means we're just going to go nuts burning all the domestic fossil fuels we can get our hands on and cook the planet by 2050. might as well bump some tunes

endlessmonotony
Nov 4, 2009

by Fritz the Horse

MrBond posted:

Counter counter point - apple cloud stuff is carbon neutral and on renewable energy.

Counter counter counter point - as long as we generate main grid energy with fossil fuels, all renewable energy use increases fossil fuel use.

Not that it matters, these numbers are hilariously small even in the worst case scenario because turns out the big players want savings, and smarter cache handling pays itself back thousandfold.

empty baggie
Oct 22, 2003

Binary Badger posted:

Louis cursing Apple under his breath for eliminating half his walk-ins

Oh yeah, the tool kit that Apple will rent you weighs 80 POUNDS and comes in a wheeled case!

https://appleinsider.com/articles/22/04/27/apples-iphone-repair-tool-kit-that-it-rents-is-wheeled-and-weighs-79-pounds

You gotta use their wacky battery press to make sure your phone holds together after you replace the parts, I bet that's whats taking so much tonnage. It ain't the hand tools that weigh a ton, that's for sure.

It also has the heated display removal tool for all phones besides the SE, which also weighs a ton.

VeganEverestDeath
May 1, 2017

MrBond posted:

No it isn’t (carbon neutral). Apple’s s corporate operations are carbon neutral, but their products and services are not. The goal is 2030 - check their latest Environmental Progress Report.

Bad Purchase
Jun 17, 2019

also the ISP and all the traffic hubs the music streams through on its way to you are not carbon neutral

but lol if you're worried about the carbon impact of streaming music compared to pretty much any other type of product we consume or activity we do

Weedle
May 31, 2006

i would like to see a comparison between the amount of energy used by people streaming music and the amount of energy used by people posting on forums about how they can't get their mp3 library to sync to their iphone

MrBond
Feb 19, 2004

FYI, Cheese NIPS are not the same as Cheez ITS

VeganEverestDeath posted:

No it isn’t (carbon neutral). Apple’s s corporate operations are carbon neutral, but their products and services are not. The goal is 2030 - check their latest Environmental Progress Report.

Corporate operations includes data centers, which would include services wouldn't it? There is a specific carve out for 3rd party cloud stuff though so that much is a fair point.

I completely agree that the scale of whatever we're talking about for a month's worth of streaming is tiny compared to most other energy usage.

If the alternative was buying hunks of plastic and having it shipped to me I'm definitely not doing that either.

MrBond fucked around with this message at 21:31 on Apr 27, 2022

fourwood
Sep 9, 2001

Damn I'll bring them to their knees.
Definitely gonna solve climate change through our music-listening habits. We can do it, team.

SlowBloke
Aug 14, 2017
That heated display removal tool is likely to claim a lot of flex cables/circuitry regardless of the repair manual warnings. Also it will be fun to botch the repair, pack the repair kit and have them broken by ups in transit so you need to foot the bill for those press and display removal tool full price.

nate fisher
Mar 3, 2004

We've Got To Go Back
My situation:

1. My oldest son iPhone breaks (will not turn on).
2. I order new iPhone for him from Sprint/T-Mobile, which comes by and picks up while I am at work.
3. He calls me to activate it online, but it will not let me activate it due to 'Find My iPhone' is still on old iPhone.
4. I tell him to sign in to the iCloud to remove the broken device since he can't do it from device.
5. He only has one 2FFA phone number and it is his phone number which is tied to broken device.
6. I go thru the process of having Apple text me, yadda yadda yadda, and in the end the website gives me a message they will send a response to his email which (wait for it) is an icloud email (comedy of errors)

To fix would this work

a. I can see his old iPhone on my Find My iPhone iCloud. It gives me an option to erase and remove the phone from account. If I do that will that turn off 'Find My iPhone'? I am unsure if I remove device from account is remove device from his apple id or it removes it from the family plan. Also I am unsure if it would even work since the device is dead. I didn't know that you could erase someone else's device if they are on your family account?

or

b. Have him bring the phone to me, I call Sprint/T-Mobile, can they bypass this activation lock due to 'Find My iPhone' is active on the old phone? If get just could get his phone number working again to get a text we can finally get this fixed.

Thoughts? Of course not matter what I will teach teach him that he should have at least 2 phone numbers for 2FFA as I do.

Any help or thoughts is appreciated? I honestly don't know why this changed. I have my Apple ID signed into 3 phones right now per my 'Find My iPhone' because they are phones I never sent back and are in a drawer.

nate fisher fucked around with this message at 02:47 on Apr 28, 2022

Jose Oquendo
Jun 20, 2004

Star Trek: The Motion Picture is a boring movie
I would definitely give the carrier a call. The old phone being signed into iCloud shouldn't interfere with activating the carrier poo poo on the new one. At least I've never run into that on ATT.

Edit: Are you sure it’s asking for HIS Apple ID? It almost sounds like the device already had activation lock setup with someone’s Apple ID.

Jose Oquendo fucked around with this message at 04:32 on Apr 28, 2022

Duckman2008
Jan 6, 2010

TFW you see Flyers goaltending.
Grimey Drawer

Jose Oquendo posted:

I would definitely give the carrier a call. The old phone being signed into iCloud shouldn't interfere with activating the carrier poo poo on the new one. At least I've never run into that on ATT.

Edit: Are you sure it’s asking for HIS Apple ID? It almost sounds like the device already had activation lock setup with someone’s Apple ID.

If there’s a trade in promo, the carrier requires the trade in phone Apple find my iPhone to be turned off to get the credit (makes sense, it’s a brick otherwise), so they require you to turn it off first in that instance.

Note 2 things:
1. They’ll manually activate it for sure, worst case you just don’t get the trade in credit
2. You can call apple and they’ll walk you through turning off find my iPhone manually, which would be good if you get a credit for it.

I don’t know for sure with this example, but I could see that being the reason.

DJOprahSpinfrey
Dec 18, 2018

Wah Wah Wee Wah

nate fisher posted:

My situation:

1. My oldest son iPhone breaks (will not turn on).
2. I order new iPhone for him from Sprint/T-Mobile, which comes by and picks up while I am at work.
3. He calls me to activate it online, but it will not let me activate it due to 'Find My iPhone' is still on old iPhone.
4. I tell him to sign in to the iCloud to remove the broken device since he can't do it from device.
5. He only has one 2FFA phone number and it is his phone number which is tied to broken device.
6. I go thru the process of having Apple text me, yadda yadda yadda, and in the end the website gives me a message they will send a response to his email which (wait for it) is an icloud email (comedy of errors)

To fix would this work

a. I can see his old iPhone on my Find My iPhone iCloud. It gives me an option to erase and remove the phone from account. If I do that will that turn off 'Find My iPhone'? I am unsure if I remove device from account is remove device from his apple id or it removes it from the family plan. Also I am unsure if it would even work since the device is dead. I didn't know that you could erase someone else's device if they are on your family account?

or

b. Have him bring the phone to me, I call Sprint/T-Mobile, can they bypass this activation lock due to 'Find My iPhone' is active on the old phone? If get just could get his phone number working again to get a text we can finally get this fixed.

Thoughts? Of course not matter what I will teach teach him that he should have at least 2 phone numbers for 2FFA as I do.

Any help or thoughts is appreciated? I honestly don't know why this changed. I have my Apple ID signed into 3 phones right now per my 'Find My iPhone' because they are phones I never sent back and are in a drawer.

Either route is viable. I would try Plan A first. The Remove From Account option is the one you want and it may require you to erase the phone anyway. If Sprint still says its Activation Locked after that then see if you can have Sprint at least activate the new phone with his number (Plan B) and you will be able to receive the 2FFA code to sign in to iCloud to remove his device.

nate fisher
Mar 3, 2004

We've Got To Go Back
Thanks. I will work on this once he brings the phone by.

Duckman2008 posted:

If there’s a trade in promo, the carrier requires the trade in phone Apple find my iPhone to be turned off to get the credit (makes sense, it’s a brick otherwise), so they require you to turn it off first in that instance.

It is a leased phone (he only had 2 more payments left). Online it allowed me to keep paying that lease and still get another iPhone on his line (I guess since only 2 payments left). Of course sending the phone back in is not an option with the phone not working. That said I bet that is issue is related to me switching a leased phone. I may just buy that device out today and see what that does (plus get it off my bill).

withak
Jan 15, 2003

Fun Shoe

nate fisher posted:

It is a leased phone (he only had 2 more payments left).

what

History Comes Inside!
Nov 20, 2004

Instead of paying a lump sum for the phone you just pay for it monthly as part of your plan, that’s a pretty normal thing to do.

It’s usually a much shittier deal than you’d get just buying the phone and paying monthly for just the plan, but now that phones cost stupid amounts of money and people always want the fanciest one it works out the ‘only way’ to get the phone you want for a lot of people.

nate fisher
Mar 3, 2004

We've Got To Go Back

History Comes Inside! posted:

Instead of paying a lump sum for the phone you just pay for it monthly as part of your plan, that’s a pretty normal thing to do.

It’s usually a much shittier deal than you’d get just buying the phone and paying monthly for just the plan, but now that phones cost stupid amounts of money and people always want the fanciest one it works out the ‘only way’ to get the phone you want for a lot of people.

Yep. I buy my own iPhones straight out, but my kids who are in their early 20's can't afford to. That said in my case it is like $999 over 24 months (you pay tax up front) with no interest or extra fees if you do it that way. I actually don't think they offer his lease option anymore. His plan was 18 months with an option to buy the phone at the end of the lease and I didn't see that option anymore. I think it is more you are actually buying the phone over 24 months. I hope I can salvage his old phone and resell it (or use as a backup).

nate fisher fucked around with this message at 13:07 on Apr 28, 2022

withak
Jan 15, 2003

Fun Shoe
That's not a lease though. It's your phone at the end.

Corb3t
Jun 7, 2003

nate fisher posted:

Thanks. I will work on this once he brings the phone by.

It is a leased phone (he only had 2 more payments left). Online it allowed me to keep paying that lease and still get another iPhone on his line (I guess since only 2 payments left). Of course sending the phone back in is not an option with the phone not working. That said I bet that is issue is related to me switching a leased phone. I may just buy that device out today and see what that does (plus get it off my bill).

Are all of you parents ponying up for AppleCare+ with accidental damage for all these expensive phones going into kid's hands? I can't imagine how many screens get broken with phone payments still left on the device.

edit: Lol he's 20+. I'd still recommend the AppleCare+ if he's running phones into the ground before they're paid off. AT&T and Verizon are running deals right now where you can trade in your old functional phone for a $1000 credit toward a new iPhone.

The Dave
Sep 9, 2003

History Comes Inside! posted:

It’s usually a much shittier deal than you’d get just buying the phone and paying monthly for just the plan

This isn't true in the slightest. Every carry now is holding customers hostage by offering massive promotions on devices only if you pay monthly and you do not accelerate payments, it's the current industry retention policy. If you buy a phone outright you're missing ~$400-800 dollars off in exchange for having an unlocked phone.

nate fisher
Mar 3, 2004

We've Got To Go Back

withak posted:

That's not a lease though. It's your phone at the end.

Yep now it is not a lease, but Sprint just use to offer a lease of 18 months, after lease was over you would return iPhone (for nothing in return) and get a new iPhone. You could also buy the device at the end of the lease. That is what he is on.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

History Comes Inside!
Nov 20, 2004

The Dave posted:

This isn't true in the slightest. Every carry now is holding customers hostage by offering massive promotions on devices only if you pay monthly and you do not accelerate payments, it's the current industry retention policy. If you buy a phone outright you're missing ~$400-800 dollars off in exchange for having an unlocked phone.

Maybe in the US, here in :britain: it’s cheaper any way you slice it to just buy a handset and get a SIM only plan from wherever. The days of phone companies giving you a bunch of bonus poo poo just for signing a contract with them seem to be long gone.

I price it out every time I change my handset just in case there’s a better deal to be had and it’s still the case at least as of November last year.