Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

tokin opposition
Apr 8, 2021

I don't jailbreak the androids, I set them free.

WATCH MARS EXPRESS (2023)
I fully support the president flying in American made planes, cars, and duck tour boats

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

canyoneer
Sep 13, 2005

I only have canyoneyes for you
I was at Lowe's last night picking up some project stuff and got a good look at the labor market. There were printed out signs posted in several places in the store pleading with people to go work at Lowe's, all shifts, with 12 different departments listed.

The lone cashier was tending to the two self-checkouts (the other 4 were closed), and is the hero of this story. He had pulled over a display stool from the wall and was sitting at his register, phone plugged in, watching videos and laughing out loud despite a line of people waiting to check out. Having had a soulless retail job, it was thrilling to see someone ignore all the optics and stupid rules and reciprocate to that job with the bare minimum. Just shamelessly ignoring the "stand up and look busy" expectation in that environment.

Shear Modulus
Jun 9, 2010

canyoneer posted:

I was at Lowe's last night picking up some project stuff and got a good look at the labor market. There were printed out signs posted in several places in the store pleading with people to go work at Lowe's, all shifts, with 12 different departments listed.

The lone cashier was tending to the two self-checkouts (the other 4 were closed), and is the hero of this story. He had pulled over a display stool from the wall and was sitting at his register, phone plugged in, watching videos and laughing out loud despite a line of people waiting to check out. Having had a soulless retail job, it was thrilling to see someone ignore all the optics and stupid rules and reciprocate to that job with the bare minimum. Just shamelessly ignoring the "stand up and look busy" expectation in that environment.

king

30.5 Days
Nov 19, 2006

canyoneer posted:

That's pleasantly surprising, I feel like there have been so many people who, like that guy, have been put into unfireable positions by companies' unwillingness to raise wages. But for some reason, companies keep firing people anyway. The other day I read about some manager who was losing her poo poo because she'd "had" to close up because the the two teen girls she relied on to run the store on weekday afternoons gave her an ultimatum: let their boyfriends hang out near their register and chat with them or they quit. She decided to shut down the store.

poemdexter
Feb 18, 2005

Hooray Indie Games!

College Slice

30.5 Days posted:

That's pleasantly surprising, I feel like there have been so many people who, like that guy, have been put into unfireable positions by companies' unwillingness to raise wages. But for some reason, companies keep firing people anyway. The other day I read about some manager who was losing her poo poo because she'd "had" to close up because the the two teen girls she relied on to run the store on weekday afternoons gave her an ultimatum: let their boyfriends hang out near their register and chat with them or they quit. She decided to shut down the store.

Capital believes it should be able to control every aspect of your life and if you ever threaten that idea, they are more than happy to take their ball and go home.

Professor Shark
May 22, 2012

Both those stories are awesome lol

ajkalan
Aug 17, 2011

canyoneer posted:

Lowes Customer Care @LowesCares April 27, 2022
Hi canyoneer, I'm very sorry to hear that. Could you please DM us the store location and a description of the store associate? Thank you!

Pryor on Fire
May 14, 2013

they don't know all alien abduction experiences can be explained by people thinking saving private ryan was a documentary

You cannot find a shop or restaurant without a "help wanted" or "closing early" sign around here. The people are over work.

Colonel Cancer
Sep 26, 2015

Tune into the fireplace channel, you absolute buffoon
Thank you covid for fixing are unemployment!

Pryor on Fire
May 14, 2013

they don't know all alien abduction experiences can be explained by people thinking saving private ryan was a documentary

Colonel Cancer posted:

Thank you covid for fixing are unemployment!

The owner of my favorite pizza place was ranting and raving to me about how nobody wants to work and how his good chef died of covid and before I could respond a bunch of dudes in full hazmat gear jumped out of a van and started spraying down the sidewalk because there was a knife fight there last night and then he refocused his rage and started screaming at the cops who were standing around and called them useless bums. It was a nice little slice of everything.

Professor Shark
May 22, 2012

I really like the mental image of Stephanie and Macy laying out to Karen how their boyfriends were just going to be hanging out around the place now and her deciding to call their bluff and shutter the store and them just going and getting jobs anywhere else/ going on with their lives without a second thought lol

Weatherman
Jul 30, 2003

WARBLEKLONK
Capital at the moment trying to find staff is like when Homer Simpson had his arm trapped in the vending machine and no one could get him free, except instead of a can of drink, what he's clinging on to is "my desired profit margin"

30.5 Days
Nov 19, 2006

Professor Shark posted:

I really like the mental image of Stephanie and Macy laying out to Karen how their boyfriends were just going to be hanging out around the place now and her deciding to call their bluff and shutter the store and them just going and getting jobs anywhere else/ going on with their lives without a second thought lol

They're not even adults, if they can't find a new job you think they'll be upset?! What the gently caress are you thinking?

Shame Boy
Mar 2, 2010

ArmZ posted:

Boeing was afraid trump would cut their other US contracts or sick the FBI on them lmao

And I mean, he absolutely would have, the man is nothing if not incredibly petty in the dumbest ways

Shame Boy
Mar 2, 2010

Pryor on Fire posted:

The owner of my favorite pizza place was ranting and raving to me about how nobody wants to work and how his good chef died of covid and before I could respond a bunch of dudes in full hazmat gear jumped out of a van and started spraying down the sidewalk because there was a knife fight there last night and then he refocused his rage and started screaming at the cops who were standing around and called them useless bums. It was a nice little slice of everything.

Was the sidewalk like, taped off, or was there no actual indication of the biohazard before the guys in the space suits showed up

Pryor on Fire
May 14, 2013

Yes there was an area of the street and sidewalk that was all closed off. Seems there was a stabbing at midnight and then they come to clean it up at noonish. idk I didn't really look into it I don't really want to know all the details of my dying city any more

Complications
Jun 19, 2014

30.5 Days posted:

When I was in the retail trenches regional occasionally checked the security camera recordings and got on the store manager if cashiers weren't following corporate policy on standing/looking busy/etc. If it was a chain store the manager might have legitimately had no power to make that decision which makes it funnier.

Panfilo
Aug 27, 2011
Probation
Can't post for 5 days!

Weatherman posted:

Capital at the moment trying to find staff is like when Homer Simpson had his arm trapped in the vending machine and no one could get him free, except instead of a can of drink, what he's clinging on to is "my desired profit margin"

"Homer, could you simply pay the employees more instead of cutting your arms off?"
*Homer angrily leaves job fair rubbing his arms while people are roaring with laughter in the background*

TheSlutPit
Dec 26, 2009

Of the handful of service/retail jobs I worked Home Depot was probably the most fun. There’s almost zero overhead management and basically nobody gives a gently caress at all as long as the pallets get moved off the floor. The inventory management is so chaotic that finding things for people was often a pretty fun puzzle and people were genuinely grateful when I helped them locate something they came in for. Also I got really good at rekeying locks and would rekey any lock people brought in for free, as well as copying DO NOT COPY rental property keys. The pay sucked though and the hours were hit or miss.

i am harry
Oct 14, 2003

Complications posted:

When I was in the retail trenches regional occasionally checked the security camera recordings and got on the store manager if cashiers weren't following corporate policy on standing/looking busy/etc. If it was a chain store the manager might have legitimately had no power to make that decision which makes it funnier.

the tiered structure of divided order-giving separates the decision makers from the morality of their decisions. all corporations are structured this way and should be destroyed.

canyoneer posted:

i think i would have tipped him

TheSlutPit
Dec 26, 2009

Thinking about this phiz classic re: home depot/lowes chat

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Bgosh-nqzro

Dungeon Ecology
Feb 9, 2011

I'm looking for some black black roses...
for my garden
whoa

BattleMaster
Aug 14, 2000

I went to an art exhibit of his that was laid out so you had to pass through a gift shop on the way out

even that was in better taste than this poo poo, because at least it was prints and such of his actual art and not this garbage

ekuNNN
Nov 27, 2004

by Jeffrey of YOSPOS

Panfilo
Aug 27, 2011
Probation
Can't post for 5 days!
Kent Police just dumping Agent Orange everywhere to deny foliage cover to indigents and loiterers.

Frosted Flake
Sep 13, 2011

Semper Shitpost Ubique

A Bakers Cousin posted:

Lol if you look at most state benefits for veterans they only apply to wounded or the family of dead vets

The good news is that almost everyone I enlisted with was wounded at one point over the following decade.

DrManiac
Feb 29, 2012

ajkalan posted:

Lowes Customer Care @LowesCares April 27, 2022
Hi canyoneer, I'm very sorry to hear that. Could you please DM us the store location and a description of the store associate? Thank you!

yeah you would believe the amount of poo poo people will snitch on you for. I work with a 76 year old and customers will occasionally call in or pull the manager to the side because she sits in a chair sometimes between customer’s

Panfilo
Aug 27, 2011
Probation
Can't post for 5 days!

Frosted Flake posted:

The good news is that almost everyone I enlisted with was wounded at one point over the following decade.

Ilhan Omar once suggested we make the GI Bill just this universal thing and conservatives flipped the gently caress out over the idea. Their belief was that the veterans alone had 'earned it'. I had heard that a surprisingly small number of veterans use it to actually complete a Batchelors degree so I pointed out to chuds that most vets don't use it anyway-why not give smarter people a chance instead? And they angrily pointed out its available to the children of veterans and they might want their kids to benefit instead.

Which loops right back to how they only think someone should get something if they 'earned it'. But how did you earn having a veteran daddy that put you through college? And the merry go round argument turns some more.

HootTheOwl
May 13, 2012

Hootin and shootin

Panfilo posted:

Ilhan Omar once suggested we make the GI Bill just this universal thing and conservatives flipped the gently caress out over the idea. Their belief was that the veterans alone had 'earned it'. I had heard that a surprisingly small number of veterans use it to actually complete a Batchelors degree so I pointed out to chuds that most vets don't use it anyway-why not give smarter people a chance instead? And they angrily pointed out its available to the children of veterans and they might want their kids to benefit instead.

Which loops right back to how they only think someone should get something if they 'earned it'. But how did you earn having a veteran daddy that put you through college? And the merry go round argument turns some more.

It's funny because a lot of the things we provide veterans we should have universally but if we did then no one would enlist.

...Which it turns out no one is doing anyways.

Okuteru
Nov 10, 2007

Choose this life you're on your own

HootTheOwl posted:

It's funny because a lot of the things we provide veterans we should have universally but if we did then no one would enlist.

With the way COVID is ravaging the country, no one would be able to anyway!

Frosted Flake
Sep 13, 2011

Semper Shitpost Ubique

I brought that up when I was invited to speak to Conservative MPs about veterans’ benefits and it was all kind of waved away. I guess they just wanted to attack the Liberals for not giving us enough?

But then they privatized half of our benefits to be administered by an insurance company when they were in government - which is why Canada doesn’t have a GI Bill - the insurance company set the education cap at 2 years, and since it’s an insurance policy the government apparently can’t do anything to change that.

Okuteru
Nov 10, 2007

Choose this life you're on your own

Frosted Flake posted:

I brought that up when I was invited to speak to Conservative MPs about veterans’ benefits and it was all kind of waved away. I guess they just wanted to attack the Liberals for not giving us enough?

But then they privatized half of our benefits to be administered by an insurance company when they were in government - which is why Canada doesn’t have a GI Bill - the insurance company set the education cap at 2 years, and since it’s an insurance policy the government apparently can’t do anything to change that.

I thought Canada had free tuition.

Frosted Flake
Sep 13, 2011

Semper Shitpost Ubique

Forceholy posted:

Free Tuition*

*Up to two years

So if you have a BA, they’ll pay for a MA, if you have some university they’ll pay for the rest, but otherwise it’s college or trade school.

Panfilo
Aug 27, 2011
Probation
Can't post for 5 days!

HootTheOwl posted:

I'd like to believe that, but a lot of veterans surveyed still listed "patriotism" as the reason they signed up. Now I guess you could argue the people claiming that were lying but there's no way to know for sure.

hobbesmaster
Jan 28, 2008

Forceholy posted:

for an example Waterloo is $11k/year which is about what my public US state school was circa 2008ish

lol I looked it up instead of repeating a conversation, for engineering Waterloo is now $16k/year. international is $46k, which is par for what us state schools try.

hobbesmaster has issued a correction as of 15:42 on Apr 28, 2022

Pryor on Fire
May 14, 2013

hobbesmaster posted:

for an example Waterloo is $11k/year which is about what my public US state school was circa 2008ish

lol I looked it up instead of repeating a conversation, for engineering Waterloo is now $16k/year. international is $46k, which is par for what us state schools try.

Most public US colleges cost about $10k/year by the year 2000 if you include all the hidden fees. Even back then it was considered a ripoff and most of the poor students would do community college instead to save money.

canyoneer
Sep 13, 2005

I only have canyoneyes for you

HootTheOwl posted:

Arivia
Mar 17, 2011

Forceholy posted:

Canada in general does not have free tuition, just a convoluted system of public student loans split between provincial and federal governments that provides starvation-level living on top of tuition and some supplies.

CRUSTY MINGE
Mar 30, 2011

Peggy Hill
Foot Connoisseur

Panfilo posted:

I'd like to believe that, but a lot of veterans surveyed still listed "patriotism" as the reason they signed up. Now I guess you could argue the people claiming that were lying but there's no way to know for sure.

Not unreasonable to believe that, most who enlist are young and don't have a grasp of the bigger picture. I enlisted in '02 at 19, dumb as a box of dildos. I was a kid during the gulf war, and rah-rah patriotism was spoon fed to us in the 90s in corn country.

Honestly, I don't care what drove vets to sign up, because any answer they give will be more valid than the bullshit excuses you can hear from "I was going to join the marines, but..." people.

Everyone should have the health care and education benefits we get. I don't give a gently caress if the only thing I get out of my service is a free license plate as long as everyone else has the access to health care and education I have.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Milo and POTUS
Sep 3, 2017

I will not shut up about the Mighty Morphin Power Rangers. I talk about them all the time and work them into every conversation I have. I built a shrine in my room for the yellow one who died because sadly no one noticed because she died around 9/11. Wanna see it?
They're giving you license plates?