Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Escape From Noise
Jul 27, 2004

Outrail posted:

Are you sure they're not drinking all the product during their strategy meetings?

It's a below 4% beer so I don't know if that explains it unless their tolerance is way low.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Atopian
Sep 23, 2014

I need a security perimeter with Venetian blinds.

Barudak posted:

A friends company announced a dude there got caught and arrested for molesting somebody on the train and would be summarily fired but they aren't saying the name so everyone is frantically setting up betting pools based on who doesn't come into work tomorrow.

Refer to it as "the recent training event".

Tex Avery
Feb 13, 2012

Crackbone posted:

Nothing will happen, our neoliberal/fascist government will do nothing but wring their hands and yell a little on tv.

Actually, there's a decent chance that this will result in forced dispersal of some monopolies and the creation of new railroads who will need new employees, among other things. Competitiveness in the employee's market will be a good thing.

Coco13 posted:

Any sites following this closely? It’s the first I’ve heard of it, and I’m sure others in the thread would love to watch it as well.

Railway Age magazine has some good coverage.

Bargearse
Nov 27, 2006

🛑 Don't get your pen🖊️, son, you won't be 👌 needing that 😌. My 🥡 order's 💁 simple😉, a shitload 💩 of dim sims 🌯🀄. And I want a bucket 🪣 of soya sauce☕😋.
These brewery stories make it real clear why Germany has the Reinheitsgebot.

Pondex
Jul 8, 2014

You can just imagine the dumb bullshit brewery-bosses could get up to pre 1516.

Cheesus
Oct 17, 2002

Let us retract the foreskin of ignorance and apply the wirebrush of enlightenment.
Yam Slacker

Escape From Noise posted:

It's a below 4% beer so I don't know if that explains it unless their tolerance is way low.
They're betting on a milkshake sour IPA that is less than 4% APV?

I'm only a beer drinker and know nothing about the business beyond what I've picked up from you in this thread.I generally like these, or as I call them "gimmick beers" and in my corner of Vermont, several(but not many) breweries make them.

Based on what I see in stores and media posts, none of these brewers make these "gimmick beers"more than 10% of their total lineup and only in rare cases is the same flavor offered more than once a year. They're rarely in convenience stores; I usually have to go to a coop or liquor store to get a four can pack.

I can't think of any that have ever offered with an APV lower than 5% with 7-8% being more common.

goatface
Dec 5, 2007

I had a video of that when I was about 6.

I remember it being shit.

Grimey Drawer
Once you get famous you just farm out the production to big commercial brewers, obv. Then you experiment with even more crazy poo poo in your microbrewery.

Zopotantor
Feb 24, 2013

...und ist er drin dann lassen wir ihn niemals wieder raus...

I thought you were in Japan, or was that another goon brewer? I once had a colleague from Japan who had an awesome reputation in the Japanese branch because apparently he had a genetic mutation for alcohol tolerance that most Japanese lack.

Atopian
Sep 23, 2014

goatface posted:

Once you get famous you just farm out the production to big commercial brewers, obv. Then you experiment with even more crazy poo poo in your microbrewery.

Grapefruit IPA literally brewed inside hollowed-out grapefruit.

Snickers beer complete with dick vein on the bottle.

Porter stout brought to you by an actual Porter.

Dark wheat beer with burned malt overtones called burned toast. "Am I having a stroke? No! I'm having a beer!"

A ruby ale that doesn't have excessive hops or an ABV over ~5% so people can actually just enjoy drinking it.

Alkydere
Jun 7, 2010
Capitol: A building or complex of buildings in which any legislature meets.
Capital: A city designated as a legislative seat by the government or some other authority, often the city in which the government is located; otherwise the most important city within a country or a subdivision of it.

The railroad thing is bullshit because they're demanding people are working and on-call with like 2 weekends (if that) a month, at least one company had their union contract expire a couple years ago, a lot haven't gotten raises to their wages and Congress passed an act that says railroad workers aren't allowed to strike. The latter part being especially bullshit.

So everyone's leaving and no one's joining because railway work went from "Lots of work but solid pay" to "A fuckton of work and mediocre to sub-par pay" and it's gonna keep getting worse until something breaks.

Bargearse
Nov 27, 2006

🛑 Don't get your pen🖊️, son, you won't be 👌 needing that 😌. My 🥡 order's 💁 simple😉, a shitload 💩 of dim sims 🌯🀄. And I want a bucket 🪣 of soya sauce☕😋.

Pondex posted:

You can just imagine the dumb bullshit brewery-bosses could get up to pre 1516.

Limiting the allowed ingredients to barley, hops, yeast and water has to cut down on quite a lot of bullshit.

Sapozhnik
Jan 2, 2005

Nap Ghost
The Germans are awfully keen on their purity laws aren't they

Atopian
Sep 23, 2014

Alkydere posted:

The railroad thing is bullshit because they're demanding people are working and on-call with like 2 weekends (if that) a month, at least one company had their union contract expire a couple years ago, a lot haven't gotten raises to their wages and Congress passed an act that says railroad workers aren't allowed to strike. The latter part being especially bullshit.

So everyone's leaving and no one's joining because railway work went from "Lots of work but solid pay" to "A fuckton of work and mediocre to sub-par pay" and it's gonna keep getting worse until something breaks.

Look at it this way:

- Capitalism is about squeezing the little people until they burst or crack, then backing off very slightly for the next batch once you have your process calibrated.

- The world keeps on getting worse in a bunch of ways.

- So now the previous level of brutal exploitation might not be the maximum people are willing to tolerate in order to avoid starving on the street without healthcare.

- So you need to fire up the bullshit maximisation engine again.

Yes, this might tank your company and/or entire industry, but future generations of capitalists will thank you.
Well, would thank you. If they were capable of gratitude or able to learn from history.
Bit they aren't so I guess whatever. Enjoy the hellworld, tip your torturer.

If you're bored, I recommend Minecraft.

goatface
Dec 5, 2007

Grimey Drawer
Who killed american trains? Big car or big oil?

Escape From Noise
Jul 27, 2004

Zopotantor posted:

I thought you were in Japan, or was that another goon brewer? I once had a colleague from Japan who had an awesome reputation in the Japanese branch because apparently he had a genetic mutation for alcohol tolerance that most Japanese lack.

Yeah. I'm in Japan. I mean some people have pretty low tolerance, but not get plastered off of a 4% beer.

Cheesus posted:

They're betting on a milkshake sour IPA that is less than 4% APV?

I'm only a beer drinker and know nothing about the business beyond what I've picked up from you in this thread.I generally like these, or as I call them "gimmick beers" and in my corner of Vermont, several(but not many) breweries make them.

Based on what I see in stores and media posts, none of these brewers make these "gimmick beers"more than 10% of their total lineup and only in rare cases is the same flavor offered more than once a year. They're rarely in convenience stores; I usually have to go to a coop or liquor store to get a four can pack.

I can't think of any that have ever offered with an APV lower than 5% with 7-8% being more common.

Yeah. I'm with you, but it was one of those recipes by committee where they tell me what parameters they want and I make it. It's not my favorite style to say the least and originally I was planning on hitting somewhere between 6 and 7% but...

rotinaj
Sep 5, 2008

Fun Shoe
I started a new job at the end of last month. When I got here, I found out that the guy who preceded me in this job left suddenly in December. A different lady took over for a month or two, then also left. Two of my new coworkers are leaving within four months, and one of them is the guy who is training me. My new boss started a week before me, and my boss’s boss doesn’t want to be here and is constantly dipping out whenever she can.

I got given the SOP for my main responsibility three weeks after I started. Now, I’m finally getting one of my responsibilities sorted, while the other, which I have not been given any kind of written directions for, is still a total mystery.

I am unsure if I should be firing indeed back up or if I should try to stick it out here. It’s super discouraging and demotivating. I have one coworker I can 100% count on and that’s about it. This place is nuts.

Oh, and the time off policy is 2 days off vacation, 2 days off PTO and 2 days off sick. Per year.

This was implemented just after I started.

Scientastic
Mar 1, 2010

TRULY scientastic.
🔬🍒

rotinaj posted:

Oh, and the time off policy is 2 days off vacation, 2 days off PTO and 2 days off sick. Per year.

That is outrageous, loving hell

Outrail
Jan 4, 2009

www.sapphicrobotica.com
:roboluv: :love: :roboluv:

Why exactly do you think you should stay?

I mean yikes you could raise those flags over a Russian tank column.

Crackbone
May 23, 2003

Vlaada is my co-pilot.

rotinaj posted:

I started a new job at the end of last month. When I got here, I found out that the guy who preceded me in this job left suddenly in December. A different lady took over for a month or two, then also left. Two of my new coworkers are leaving within four months, and one of them is the guy who is training me. My new boss started a week before me, and my boss’s boss doesn’t want to be here and is constantly dipping out whenever she can.

I got given the SOP for my main responsibility three weeks after I started. Now, I’m finally getting one of my responsibilities sorted, while the other, which I have not been given any kind of written directions for, is still a total mystery.

I am unsure if I should be firing indeed back up or if I should try to stick it out here. It’s super discouraging and demotivating. I have one coworker I can 100% count on and that’s about it. This place is nuts.

Get the gently caress out. That’s hell world libertarian nonsense

Like literally do as little as humanly possible to avoid getting fired and use all your energy in getting a new job.

Outrail
Jan 4, 2009

www.sapphicrobotica.com
:roboluv: :love: :roboluv:
On the other hand if you wait another three months you'll be defacto CEO of a failing company with no employees. Stick it out!

Stoatbringer
Sep 15, 2004

naw, you love it you little ho-bot :roboluv:

A couple of strange job-starts I've had as a contractor:

Contacted by an agent saying the job required someone good with OpenGL (an old 3D graphics system). That's me, I said. "Awesome, doing cool 3D graphics again", I thought. Agent was very clear that this was a deal-breaking requirement. Went for the interview, OpenGL never mentioned. Got the job. Asked "So what do you guys use OpenGL for here?". "Huh? We don't use that at all. We just do database stuff."
Also, I sat in a corner at an empty desk for the first week as they hadn't organised a PC, phone or anything else for me.

Got a 6 month contract at a water utility company. My job was to take over support for the enormous, old, complex customer service system from a guy who was leaving. He'd been there for years and knew every bit of the system inside out. He spent two weeks "training" me (fixing stuff while I looked over his shoulder, mostly). After he left, people would come up to me with problems to do with things I had literally never heard of or knew anything at all about. I spent about three months just saying "Sorry, I don't know that, I'll have a read of the documentation", and then quit as soon as my six months was up.
Some months after I'd left I got a phone call at home late one night -
"Hi, batch job B-89345 has failed, can you find the problem and re-run it?"
"Sorry, who are you? What are you talking about?"
"You're on support today, aren't you? It's batch job B-89345, it's important that you get this fixed tonight."
"Wait, is this [company name]? I haven't worked there since November."
"Ah. poo poo, sorry."

rotinaj
Sep 5, 2008

Fun Shoe

Outrail posted:

Why exactly do you think you should stay?

I mean yikes you could raise those flags over a Russian tank column.

The fact that I’m making better pay than I ever have before, and it’s in a cool small startup watchdog company that has a very good goal :smith:

I’m mostly just killing time until my insurance kicks in, and then I think I will start looking again, because like

Yeah

Oh, also I found out by accident that the company President has a drunken weapons charge and is not allowed to own guns anymore

The guy who left in December had a drug trafficking charge

Yeah, this new job turned weird and disappointing QUICK

Myron Baloney
Mar 19, 2002

Emitting dimensions are swallowing you

Yeah. I'm with you, but it was one of those recipes by committee where they tell me what parameters they want and I make it. It's not my favorite style to say the least and originally I was planning on hitting somewhere between 6 and 7% but...
Ugh, sounds like an unpleasant situation. Does it sell? Honestly that beer sounds like a mess that relies on hype to move, but people only buy it once. If your bottling gear isn't top of the line they're just throwing their dry-hop money away. On the other hand I'd probably buy a not-hoppy, not-milkshake 4% fruited sour if it was good and a bit of oxidation probably doesn't ruin that beer.

Sapozhnik
Jan 2, 2005

Nap Ghost
It's probably an obvious statement but to paraphrase various people in the YOSPOS jobs thread the job market is an adverse selection system. The worst candidates and worst vacancies stay in the market the longest. The really good jobs are like the really good nightclubs, they don't let in random people off the street if they don't have connections.

Escape From Noise
Jul 27, 2004

Myron Baloney posted:

Ugh, sounds like an unpleasant situation. Does it sell? Honestly that beer sounds like a mess that relies on hype to move, but people only buy it once. If your bottling gear isn't top of the line they're just throwing their dry-hop money away. On the other hand I'd probably buy a not-hoppy, not-milkshake 4% fruited sour if it was good and a bit of oxidation probably doesn't ruin that beer.

Our bottler is decent. Not top of the line but it does actually purge. But yeah. It sells alright I guess within the company I think. I also think it's one of those things where an exec wanted this so they market the hell out of it and so they move some product and go "My idea is very popular!". Meanwhile, I get told that the basic-rear end American pale ale I made in January isn't selling well as we had a few kegs left at the beginning of the month and it'll probably turn soon. Except it suddenly started selling well when they added a little blurb to the menu that helped explain the style and it's place in craft beer to the non craft beer savvy consumer. It's almost as if if you put a little energy towards basic marketing for basic styles they'll sell... also we started brewing in October of last year. You have to build these things up.

a mysterious cloak
Apr 5, 2003

Leave me alone, dad, I'm with my friends!

Evidently I can have patients call and verbally abuse me and my medical assistants, and still get appointments here. I guess the guy calling, screaming on the phone, and telling me that he was going to come here and blow a gasket wasn't threatening enough?

Gotta do that service recovery! :thunkgun:

a mysterious cloak
Apr 5, 2003

Leave me alone, dad, I'm with my friends!

rotinaj posted:

GTFO as fast as you can.

goatface
Dec 5, 2007

Grimey Drawer
Burn it down on the way out.

Pyrtanis
Jun 30, 2007

The ghosts of our glories are gray-bearded guides
Fun Shoe

a mysterious cloak posted:

Evidently I can have patients call and verbally abuse me and my medical assistants, and still get appointments here. I guess the guy calling, screaming on the phone, and telling me that he was going to come here and blow a gasket wasn't threatening enough?

Gotta do that service recovery! :thunkgun:

The only places I see this even remotely being tolerated is pain clinics and indigent primary care, holy poo poo I hope you can fire some of these assholes, stay safe :ohdear:

MagusofStars
Mar 31, 2012

goatface posted:

Burn it down on the way out.
The company sounds like it’s already burning to the ground, enough so that I’m not sure anything rotinaj could do would be even noticed next to the existing inferno.

Non Krampus Mentis
Oct 17, 2011

Scrungus Bungus from the planet Grongous
A well-loved barista got fired last night. This morning I woke up to an email saying “if your tasks are done before your time, please leave because I can’t afford to pay you for a full shift” (I’m 90% sure this is to accommodate the Assault Baker who likes to show up whenever and stay until whenever), then after I finished my tasks for the day my boss drops YET ANOTHER RECIPE ON ME.

Also I’ve had to hug two coworkers who got bad news, and while that’s not my boss’s fault it’s a fuckin bummer. :(

blatman
May 10, 2009

14 inc dont mez

rotinaj posted:

when you're the last employee standing, take the break room furniture

old bean factory
Nov 18, 2006

Will ya close the fucking doors?!

rotinaj posted:

Once you're CEO, can I be VP?

rotinaj
Sep 5, 2008

Fun Shoe

old bean factory posted:

Once you're CEO, can I be VP?

The ceo is the drunken weapons charge guy, I am unsure if he is gonna be conquerable

Oh, and they just started to have a 401k for the employees

There will be no matching until January of next year

I don’t think I’ve ever experienced being set up to fail better than this. Like, I could make excuses for every red flag that I see, and some of the people here are really cool, but jeez, every time I try to not be such a friendly, affable person who gives everything multiple chances and just think about this place from a detached viewpoint, the amount of red flags is truly titanic

Edit:

blatman posted:

The building is owned by a major university that this company spun off from, everything is maintained by building maintenance, I can’t even get away with that

Invalid Validation
Jan 13, 2008

I know I used to deal with it when I was younger but having only a week of vacation or less a year is actually abuse. I don’t know what I’d do if I didn’t have the flexibility I have.

rotinaj
Sep 5, 2008

Fun Shoe

Invalid Validation posted:

I know I used to deal with it when I was younger but having only a week of vacation or less a year is actually abuse. I don’t know what I’d do if I didn’t have the flexibility I have.

When I was interviewing for the job, my boss boss told me I should ask for specific time off to be stipulated in my contract. I have 2 weeks in august or something like that because of it. I get the vibe she knew this policy was coming and wanted me to pre-hedge my bets.

I think the grocery store job I had a decade ago had a better PTO policy. :negative:

Blue Footed Booby
Oct 4, 2006

got those happy feet

Outrail posted:

On the other hand if you wait another three months you'll be defacto CEO of a failing company with no employees. Stick it out!

I just got out of a job that was as much of a mess albeit with minimal turnover and sticking around was a mistake. It turns out executive function is like a muscle, and spending a year doing basically nothing hosed up my ability to actually do a job.

Also:

blatman posted:

Blue Footed Booby fucked around with this message at 18:38 on Apr 28, 2022

Tex Avery
Feb 13, 2012

Alkydere posted:

We can't strike, but I've seen an exceptional amount of covert work slowdown from the BNSF train crews recently. I've been caught behind two trains in the last month with an "issue" that requires them to stop and have the conductor walk back along the length of the train to "check" for the issue, which can be a 30-60 minute delay depending on the train length. The railroad I work for isn't perfect, but working for a shortline railroad doing local work is way better than working for one of these Class 1 railroads and being completely whipped.

Totbot
Oct 4, 2013
BNSF is dumb. I live in a railroad town. Low cost of living midwest place. BNSF pays very well for the area and I heard they were desperately needing new conductors so I applied since I was looking for a new job. Did all the online teats and poo poo and got an email that said I was eligible for the next round of interviews and would be contacted in 2 to 8 weeks.

gently caress that, I needed a new job so I mostly ignored it because I couldn’t wait to be contacted that long. Guess what? It was 5 months before they contacted me again. 5 loving months. Major shortage of conductors and it takes you almost half a year to reach out to a candidate? Like who can wait that long for an interview for a company that treats it workers like poo poo.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Tex Avery
Feb 13, 2012
That's fairly typical for railroads, unfortunately. The shortest turnaround I've had over the three railroads I've actually worked for was four months. Hell, I applied for a conductor job with Amtrak once and got a rejection email nine months later.