Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Hexel
Nov 18, 2011

So it seems the Falme filming is mostly done so I would expect to see more post production type leaks like the Lanfear lookin one of a couple days ago, along with various castings and things.

https://twitter.com/geekyeri/status/1519061634697682945?s=20&t=kCz8OS7PdmnZbohV6Y9ltw

Is it too soon to start talking trailer?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Skyl3lazer
Aug 27, 2007

[Dooting Stealthily]

Submarine Sandpaper posted:

shara will be in baklavas

lol

Skyl3lazer
Aug 27, 2007

[Dooting Stealthily]

Stock photo: Shara

Jaxyon
Mar 7, 2016
I’m just saying I would like to see a man beat a woman in a cage. Just to be sure.

th3t00t posted:

This comment got a lot of upvotes on the wot subreddit. Curious if Goons find this to be a valid criticism?

I think:

Skyl3lazer posted:

It is a valid criticism overall I think, the showrunners are clearly going for a diverse cast but also aren't actually thinking what roles their nonwhite actors are playing. Is it a reason to say this was a bad pick for Avienda? No. It also doesn't even mean they did a poor job with the Aiel, we've only seen two of them.

Colorism is a thing in casting, even when shows try to be "diverse" in who they give roles to. That person isn't the only one who noticed that two of the villains are also two of the darkest skinned men on the show. Same with Bridgerton, which claims to be colorblind but somehow nobody that isn't mixed-race or light-skinned gets lead parts.

Also:

Comrade Blyatlov posted:

Why do you hate bare breasts?

They never were going to do that. Shows always tone down the author-insert fantasies like they did with Qartheen fashion for womenin GoT.

Data Graham
Dec 28, 2009

📈📊🍪😋

Bridgerton is an interesting example — it's not that they don't have non-white people in lead roles, it's just that so far it's always been a white person as the primary POV character and a POC as their love interest. Season 1 it was a white lady / black guy, season 2 it's a white dude / Indian lady.

It's weird how that show just goes 90% of the way there with its idea and then bobbles it in the oddest way.

Jaxyon
Mar 7, 2016
I’m just saying I would like to see a man beat a woman in a cage. Just to be sure.

Data Graham posted:

Bridgerton is an interesting example — it's not that they don't have non-white people in lead roles, it's just that so far it's always been a white person as the primary POV character and a POC as their love interest. Season 1 it was a white lady / black guy, season 2 it's a white dude / Indian lady.

It's weird how that show just goes 90% of the way there with its idea and then bobbles it in the oddest way.

It's not a bobble, it's not an accident that the lead POV character is white in every season so far.

Just like it's not an accident that it took like 20 seasons to get a black Bachelor and that often diversely casted shows/movies still have white leads.

Having said, that if you're into Bridgerton, The Courtship is like the Bachelorette but came out the gate with a black woman as the focus.

Data Graham
Dec 28, 2009

📈📊🍪😋

I also can't figure out what the angle was with trying to allude to an alt-history that justifies the casting, i.e. "Queen Charlotte may have been secretly black so in our alt-universe racism just sort of went away in the late 1700s out of deference to her" rather than "hey what if we just tried casting colorblind and never drawing attention to it, thus making the point that it's possible to do a story like this without space-time wedgies"

Like, was that some kind of studio meddling thing? Or did someone get cold feet and think the concept couldn't stand on its own?

Killer robot
Sep 6, 2010

I was having the most wonderful dream. I think you were in it!
Pillbug
Got to the part of Path of Daggers where Elayne finds the ter'angreal sex toy. I don't know how I missed that last time through, but just one more bit of the books being hornier than I remember. :stare:

But then I forgot how much of the military stuff was about logistics too, which makes sense and all.

Jaxyon
Mar 7, 2016

Data Graham posted:

I also can't figure out what the angle was with trying to allude to an alt-history that justifies the casting, i.e. "Queen Charlotte may have been secretly black so in our alt-universe racism just sort of went away in the late 1700s out of deference to her" rather than "hey what if we just tried casting colorblind and never drawing attention to it, thus making the point that it's possible to do a story like this without space-time wedgies"

Like, was that some kind of studio meddling thing? Or did someone get cold feet and think the concept couldn't stand on its own?

Racist white people get super mad about black people being cast in "white" settings and also studios are run by racist white people.

Dysgenesis
Jul 12, 2012

HAVE AT THEE!

I just can't seem to get my head around people getting mad about a modern programme casting non white actors in historical roles where people were white.

My dude it's acting.

How are u
May 19, 2005

by Azathoth

Jaxyon posted:

They never were going to do that. Shows always tone down the author-insert fantasies like they did with Qartheen fashion for womenin GoT.

Yeah, because they're cowards.

Comrade Blyatlov
Aug 4, 2007

should have picked four fingers

Dysgenesis posted:

I just can't seem to get my head around people getting mad about a modern programme casting non white actors in historical roles where people were white.

My dude it's acting.

People get mad about stupid poo poo all the time. For example, essay-length diatribes about entertainment, carefully breaking down every little thing the author dislikes, drive me to distraction.
I still read them though :negative:

Barreft
Jul 21, 2014
Probation
Can't post for 20 hours!
Logain's opening should've been the season open

th3t00t
Aug 14, 2007

GOOD CLEAN FOOTBALL

Data Graham posted:

Yeah, I thought they were successfully doing the color blind thing until they briefly acknowledged race and then hand waved it away again with that alt history nonsense. I thought it was poorly handled and bizarre.

Jedit
Dec 10, 2011

Proudly supporting vanilla legends 1994-2014

Killer robot posted:

Got to the part of Path of Daggers where Elayne finds the ter'angreal sex toy. I don't know how I missed that last time through, but just one more bit of the books being hornier than I remember. :stare:

I didn't think that the ter'dildo scene was particularly horny? I remember it as Elayne feeling warm, blacking out and then waking up the next day with even Birgitte not exactly willing to discuss what happened.

jng2058
Jul 17, 2010

We have the tools, we have the talent!

Hexel posted:

So it seems the Falme filming is mostly done so I would expect to see more post production type leaks like the Lanfear lookin one of a couple days ago, along with various castings and things.

https://twitter.com/geekyeri/status/1519061634697682945?s=20&t=kCz8OS7PdmnZbohV6Y9ltw

Is it too soon to start talking trailer?

Much. We only got the teaser for season one in September for a November release. Since it seems now like we won't see season two until 2023, I'd be shocked if we see anything before December of this year if not well into '23, depending on when they actually air the season.

Killer robot
Sep 6, 2010

Pillbug

Jedit posted:

I didn't think that the ter'dildo scene was particularly horny? I remember it as Elayne feeling warm, blacking out and then waking up the next day with even Birgitte not exactly willing to discuss what happened.

The individual scene wasn't explicit or anything, after all I apparently went right through it without even thinking of the implications before. And it's a bit harmless/funny. Just it really fits in with the the series having frequent yet indirect sexual reference past just constant talk of ample bosoms, and how much more visible it is on my latest reread.

CainFortea
Oct 15, 2004

I just thought it made her drunk. Because Nyneave is a huge prude and if Elayne did anything sexual she would have been a lot louder and shittier about it.

Pocky In My Pocket
Jan 27, 2005

Giant robots shouldn't fight!

CainFortea posted:

I just thought it made her drunk. Because Nyneave is a huge prude and if Elayne did anything sexual she would have been a lot louder and shittier about it.

Nah, she passes out and nyn is super worried about that. It skirts around what else happened but elayne knows brigitte is amused about something and theres a strong suuggestion it was something horney

CainFortea
Oct 15, 2004

Pocky In My Pocket posted:

Nah, she passes out and nyn is super worried about that. It skirts around what else happened but elayne knows brigitte is amused about something and theres a strong suuggestion it was something horney

I'm not sure how much social interaction you have with people who are drunk, but saying "it was something horney" does not in any way preclude my theory.

Jaxyon
Mar 7, 2016
The phallic shaped device is also rubberized.

I think RJ might have been too much of a prude to really figure out what happened but I think the implication is strongly there.

Killer robot
Sep 6, 2010

Pillbug

CainFortea posted:

I'm not sure how much social interaction you have with people who are drunk, but saying "it was something horney" does not in any way preclude my theory.

Elayne had embarrassed herself doing the drunk and horny thing previously and everyone was pretty clear about what happened and why she should be more careful, so "the same thing only caused by a magic rod" wouldn't have been anything unspeakable. The book definitely leaves what happened up to your imagination though, so all that's really sure is that Birgitte thought it was hilarious, Aviendha stone-faced and Nynaeve was a very pent up and twitching "You don't want to know." Obviously the intent was to make the reader fill in the blanks from their own imagination rather than to spell out anything specific, it's all over the place to put racy humor in censor-safe sitcoms or whatever. The writer doesn't even have to have an answer in mind.

CainFortea
Oct 15, 2004

Killer robot posted:

Elayne had embarrassed herself doing the drunk and horny thing previously and everyone was pretty clear about what happened and why she should be more careful, so "the same thing only caused by a magic rod" wouldn't have been anything unspeakable. The book definitely leaves what happened up to your imagination though, so all that's really sure is that Birgitte thought it was hilarious, Aviendha stone-faced and Nynaeve was a very pent up and twitching "You don't want to know." Obviously the intent was to make the reader fill in the blanks from their own imagination rather than to spell out anything specific, it's all over the place to put racy humor in censor-safe sitcoms or whatever. The writer doesn't even have to have an answer in mind.

Yes, obviously. My interpretation was what I said. It could easily have been far worse than the time she got drunk because she didn't really do anything bad when she got drunk.

But the magic drunk could have had her dancing on tables and shaking her hips more than Shakira and that would obviously have been far worse than the one time she had a bit more wine.

Invalid Validation
Jan 13, 2008

They’re all very sexually repressed medieval people. She probably let the strap of her dress slide off one shoulder. The horror!

Killer robot
Sep 6, 2010

Pillbug

Invalid Validation posted:

They’re all very sexually repressed medieval people. She probably let the strap of her dress slide off one shoulder. The horror!

Funnily, earlier in the book Elayne was told that some ruins had been a giant statue of a woman that had fallen centuries prior, and found it implausible and somewhat improper because the statue clearly would have been barefoot and who would build such a large statue in that state?

Elayne is a really weird person. Also funny when you realize people aren't metaphorical about her being a nose-in-the-air noble, she literally holds her head that way.

Hexel
Nov 18, 2011

So the tourists have come across another waygate

This thing is 1,342.8 km south of Essaouira where they were. I noticed the drone unit guy I was following packed up and flew south to Dakhla. I asked him if they were done filming and he said he couldn't say.

Then the director Sanaa Hamri posted in her stories that she was flying to Dakhla, then this waygate appears down there. I can't think of any scene in the books that would have a waygate out in bumfuck nowhere like this :psyduck:

Comrade Blyatlov
Aug 4, 2007

The Waygate is replacing the Portal Stone, and that's the dead world

Hexel
Nov 18, 2011

Comrade Blyatlov posted:

My thought was maybe this is finally the aiel waste. But then again that wouldn't make sense because lol water.

Their film commission emphasizes the remote nature and deserted as gently caress feel.

https://dakhlafilmcommission.org/#locationscouting

latinotwink1997
Jan 2, 2008

Taste my Ball of Hope, foul dragon!

Elayne went to town on herself with that ter’angreal and everyone watched and that’s my headcannon.

Colonel Cool
Dec 24, 2006

It's kind of weird that a sex toy ter'angreal made her black out and forget everything that happened, now that I think about it. Roofie ter'angreal.

Comrade Blyatlov
Aug 4, 2007

she should have tossed it at Lanfear, girl just needed a good time to come back to the light

Barreft
Jul 21, 2014
Probation
Can't post for 20 hours!

Colonel Cool posted:

It's kind of weird that a sex toy ter'angreal made her black out and forget everything that happened, now that I think about it. Roofie ter'angreal.

Considering the real world, I can only imagine roofie ter'angreal on phalic object would be one of the first case subjects

Comrade Blyatlov
Aug 4, 2007

Barreft posted:

Considering the real world, I can only imagine roofie ter'angreal on phalic object would be one of the first case subjects

it'd be a coin-toss between that and killing someone untraceably

JavaJesus
Jul 4, 2007

Comrade Blyatlov posted:

The more I think about this, the more I think I like it. In the books we had three or four distinct fast travel options: Waygates, Portal Stones, Skimming, and Traveling (I think the two weaves were completely different from each other, but I can understand grouping them together enough to count as one method). I think it'd be good to trim that down to one fast travel between set points and one fast travel between arbitrary points. I can easily see show Waygates having some hidden function that effectively works like the Portal Stones do, either discovered accidentally like in the books or possibly as a tie-in to Machin Shin focusing on Rand, forcing discovery of "Not Quite The Ways". Then with Skimming/Traveling it just needs a throwaway line about Traveling being "Skimming But Faster" to let the show definitively tie them together as one fast travel with varying efficiency instead of two separate methods that are similar but separate.

Comrade Blyatlov
Aug 4, 2007

It's even easier, because we've already seen the Waygates can be operated by non-channelers via the key, but also via the Power if you don't have the key (unless Fain has become a channeler which I seriously doubt), so it's Rand's first attempt at using one and he fucks it all up.

Barreft
Jul 21, 2014
Probation
Can't post for 20 hours!

Comrade Blyatlov posted:

It's even easier, because we've already seen the Waygates can be operated by non-channelers via the key, but also via the Power if you don't have the key (unless Fain has become a channeler which I seriously doubt), so it's Rand's first attempt at using one and he fucks it all up.

Fain had a leaf key. it was put in the x-ray extras because for some reason Amazon hates communicating anything

e: misread sry, but hating amazon xray stands

Submarine Sandpaper
May 27, 2007

Barreft posted:

Fain had a leaf key. it was put in the x-ray extras because for some reason Amazon hates communicating anything

e: misread sry, but hating amazon xray stands

God the xray stuff is so dumb since it's Canon for the show and not just worldbuilding fyi. Maybe the show would have been better if this wasn't a pilot for that feature.

Nitrousoxide
May 30, 2011

do not buy a oneplus phone

Submarine Sandpaper posted:

God the xray stuff is so dumb since it's Canon for the show and not just worldbuilding fyi. Maybe the show would have been better if this wasn't a pilot for that feature.

X-Ray is like if they handed you a sheet of paper with all the character development they forgot to include in the movie right before you step into the theater.

Data Graham
Dec 28, 2009

📈📊🍪😋

Forever trying to invent pop-up video

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Shageletic
Jul 25, 2007

Jaxyon posted:

I think:

Colorism is a thing in casting, even when shows try to be "diverse" in who they give roles to. That person isn't the only one who noticed that two of the villains are also two of the darkest skinned men on the show. Same with Bridgerton, which claims to be colorblind but somehow nobody that isn't mixed-race or light-skinned gets lead parts.

Also:

The criticism doesn't seem to line up with the actual material. Aiel are badass, secretly heavily developed, and consistently trump everyone else in Randland. They're not barbaric. They're almost akin to Wakanda in the MCU without their weaponry being out of touch technologically with the weapons of the era.

Shageletic fucked around with this message at 12:43 on Apr 29, 2022