Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

HampHamp
Oct 30, 2006
There's also a really weird part of the ultimate - the very first phase has a mechanic where players get pairs of like PlayStation controller symbols (X, □, etc) above their heads, but nothing actually seems to happen with them. They've not been used in any other mechanic in the game AFAIK, and it seems weird that the only thing they appear to do is a raidwide knock back. I reckon they have something to do with clearing, but god knows what.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

kung fu jive
Jul 2, 2014

SOPHISTICATED DOG SHIT

Orcs and Ostriches posted:

If your roles are all reasonably close in level, you only have a few gear sets on you.

Also it's all trivially replaceable so just get rid of anything you're not using. Break the hoarder mind set.

Or spend money and buy some new retainers.

This is what I need to do. Fair.

Lord_Magmar
Feb 24, 2015

"Welcome to pound town, Slifer slacker!"

Harrow posted:

:stare: that is a wild mechanic and I love it

As far as I’ve heard there’s only two timelines. You play the normal one once first, which is Vault, H dies, Thordan, Nidhogg Estinien, remove eyes. After you do this once, you go back to the start with the Vault. You will repeat this until you can save H in a repeat phase 1, at which point you go to the second timeline and finish the Ultimate. This is why Phase 1 checkpoints you, so you have one chance per loop to save H after the first. Going theory is needing LB3, which you cannot get in the first loop anyway.

limp dick calvin
Sep 1, 2006

Strepitoso. Vedete? Una meraviglia.

Galaga Galaxian posted:

For a Veteran Survivor of FFXI, the start of this collab event hits a little different.

I got killed by so many crabs in the month I played that game.

Lord_Magmar
Feb 24, 2015

HampHamp posted:

There's also a really weird part of the ultimate - the very first phase has a mechanic where players get pairs of like PlayStation controller symbols (X, □, etc) above their heads, but nothing actually seems to happen with them. They've not been used in any other mechanic in the game AFAIK, and it seems weird that the only thing they appear to do is a raidwide knock back. I reckon they have something to do with clearing, but god knows what.

It’s just a fancy way to tell you who is chained together because you get knocked apart and then explode when they get too far apart.

Because the explosion is so big you do legitimately need to know who your partner is, which has never been a thing for spread breaking chains before.

HampHamp
Oct 30, 2006

Lord_Magmar posted:

It’s just a fancy way to tell you who is chained together because you get knocked apart and then explode when they get too far apart.

Because the explosion is so big you do legitimately need to know who your partner is, which has never been a thing for spread breaking chains before.
Ahh I didn't pick up on that!

Rynoto
Apr 27, 2009
It doesn't help that I'm fat as fuck, so my face shouldn't be shown off in the first place.

Galaga Galaxian posted:

For a Veteran Survivor of FFXI, the start of this collab event hits a little different.

The valkurm dunes song is permanently seared into my brain. It's playing right now just thinking about it. It didn't have music. My memory is dead and it's the jungle tune playing. gently caress me. Also gently caress the crabs, goblins, flies, lizards, and especially the emperor because that hairpin :argh:

Also remembering mob trains sitting at the border murdering people as they crossed which, naturally, lost you a big chunk of xp. Truly old school mmo design.

Rynoto fucked around with this message at 19:13 on Apr 28, 2022

Lord_Magmar
Feb 24, 2015

HampHamp posted:

Ahh I didn't pick up on that!

Yeah, sometimes they have to invent entirely new visual language for mechanics that have never been seen before in the game. Usually the chain thing just hurts the people chained together, this set explodes in a giant aoe.

Macaluso
Sep 23, 2005

I HATE THAT HEDGEHOG, BROTHER!
Good afternoon folks, I drew a Red Mage

Orcs and Ostriches
Aug 26, 2010

The Great Twist

Macaluso posted:

Good afternoon folks, I drew a Red Mage

The is future (spoilers for everything) Emet-Selch wanted

Hellioning
Jun 27, 2008

kung fu jive posted:

Not really. Mostly because that is completely at odds with the do everything with one character philosophy the game was clearly designed with.

Didn't stop me!

(Do not do this.)

(This was a mistake.)

Chillgamesh
Jul 29, 2014

Truly adore these

wdarkk
Oct 26, 2007

Friends: Protected
World: Saved
Crablettes: Eaten

Chillgamesh posted:

Truly adore these

What are the odds some animations have you cut yourself on the knife when you do them?

Thundarr
Dec 24, 2002

Chillgamesh posted:

Truly adore these

I can only assume they're angled properly to avoid stabbing yourself through the head during the many animations where you hold one or both close to you. Either way I'm getting a set the instant they get added.

Galaga Galaxian
Apr 23, 2009

What a childish tactic!
Don't you think you should put more thought into your battleplan?!

Have you see the level 50 DRG AF? They don't care about gear clipping. :v:

Hellioning
Jun 27, 2008

wdarkk posted:

What are the odds some animations have you cut yourself on the knife when you do them?

100%.

Bruceski
Aug 21, 2007

The tools of a hero mean nothing without a solid core.

No Dignity posted:

Congrats to Warrior for getting the Bloodborne Pizza Cutter

Thanks mate, but I've already got one.

TheWorldsaStage
Sep 10, 2020

I just went through Heroes Gauntlet and wanted to ask someone who knows the history of Summoner way better than me a question.

What spell animations do the Ink mages use?

Venuz Patrol
Mar 27, 2011

Bruceski posted:

Thanks mate, but I've already got one.

the contest winner is much closer to ba'gamnon's chainsaw glaive, which is very important

Albu-quirky Guy
Nov 8, 2005

Still stuck in the Land of Entrapment

TheWorldsaStage posted:

I just went through Heroes Gauntlet and wanted to ask someone who knows the history of Summoner way better than me a question.

What spell animations do the Ink mages use?

Looks like their standard attacks are just Ruin 2, Absolute Ruin III looks like Ruin 3 minus the butterfly wings, Flambe II looks like Scholar's Broil 2, and Gravity looks more like the start of Shadow Flare (just without the 30 second AoE bubble afterwards) than Astrologian's Gravity.

If you're interested in what earlier SMN sort of used to look like, run some dungeons with a GC Squadron with an Arcanist on your team. They don't have any summons (except blue carby) but they still have all the same skills/spells ARC had from HW I think.

Albu-quirky Guy fucked around with this message at 21:27 on Apr 28, 2022

Blockhouse
Sep 7, 2014

You Win!
I'm all about Cerberus Fang because FFXIV has a dearth of gunblades that are sleek and simple and not greatsword-length which is good sometimes but give me some variety goddamn

Cerberus Fang looks like it actually came out of FFVIII

TheWorldsaStage
Sep 10, 2020

Albu-quirky Guy posted:

Looks like their standard attacks are just Ruin 2, Absolute Ruin III looks like Ruin 3 minus the butterfly wings, Flambe II looks like Scholar's Broil 2, and Gravity looks more like the start of Shadow Flare (just without the 30 second AoE bubble afterwards) than Astrologian's Gravity.

If you're interested in what earlier SMN sort of used to look like, run some dungeons with a GC Squadron with an Arcanist on your team. They don't have any summons (except blue carby) but they still have all the same skills/spells ARC had from HW I think.

Thank you! Yeah I maxed out squadron, and it's really cool you can still see how old dot summoner played. That was the last time I played summoner lol. I was curious about the Ink Mage kit. I was thinking on a more bored day doing some animation replacements to make an ink mage for fun.

S.J.
May 19, 2008

Just who the hell do you think we are?

Dunno if I missed something, do we know how we'll be getting ahold of those design contest weapons? I'm loving loving those

Orcs and Ostriches
Aug 26, 2010

The Great Twist
I haven't heard anything about this set in particular. The last design costume I remember ended up in the Drowned City of Skalla as the dungeon drops, which was then reused as the Snow Linen crafted set in Endwalker. Those however had a consistent theme, and half of these entries look like they'd fit right in with Gold Saucer glams.

Hogama
Sep 3, 2011

I haven't heard anything about this set in particular. The last design costume I remember ended up in the Drowned City of Skalla as the dungeon drops, which was then reused as the Snow Linen crafted set in Endwalker. Those however had a consistent theme, and half of these entries look like they'd fit right in with Gold Saucer glams.
Well, Furnishing was the previous contest, I believe, but for gear, the most recent design contest winner was the Ranged DPS gear implemented in the game as the Neo-Ishgardian crafted set. Before that, it was the Melee DPS gear implemented as the Late Allagan PVP set.
https://na.finalfantasyxiv.com/lodestone/topics/detail/fb9d4d8a0f121458309c5af43e9e3b7e7d5e21b5

funkmeister
Feb 20, 2010

About your father. If it's any help, he's in the ground now. Sure, it's bad news for him. But on the other hand, it's party time for all those little worms.
Everyone rejoice, the silly weapons are entering the game as the final form of the EW relic.

Dr Pepper
Feb 4, 2012

Don't like it? well...

Concidering that there are two winners for each class I imagine the goofy looking ones will be Gold Saucer rewards while the other set will be craftable/dungeon drops.

Blockhouse
Sep 7, 2014

You Win!
Yeah I imagine they'll be a non-themed group of craftables like how the first tier of Shadowbringers crafted 80 weapons were a random mishmash of stuff

S.J.
May 19, 2008

I want that spinny axe. More spinny.

Mix.
Jan 24, 2021

Huh? What?

it'd be fun if they were another set of pvp weapons for CC from the contest winners, since the weapons for the stuff we got already don't fit a theme

Chillgamesh
Jul 29, 2014

Mix. posted:

it'd be fun if they were another set of pvp weapons for CC from the contest winners, since the weapons for the stuff we got already don't fit a theme

Could be, the sci-fi set they added as PvP gear for ShB was a design contest winner. Wouldn't be surprised if they were bought in the Gold Saucer with MGP though.

Electric Phantasm
Apr 7, 2011

YOSPOS

I hope they credit Ba'gamnan for taking his weapon.

ZenMasterBullshit
Nov 2, 2011

Restaurant de Nouvelles "À Table" Proudly Presents:
A Climactic Encounter Ending on 1 Negate and a Dream

Blockhouse posted:

I'm all about Cerberus Fang because FFXIV has a dearth of gunblades that are sleek and simple and not greatsword-length which is good sometimes but give me some variety goddamn

Cerberus Fang looks like it actually came out of FFVIII

None if this matters the other contest winner is a loving Super Sentai/Kamen Rider weapon for GNB and thus the only gunblade that will ever matter

Mix.
Jan 24, 2021

Huh? What?

All of the finalist gunblades are so much sicker looking and I hope we get at least one of them:

S.J.
May 19, 2008

Mix. posted:

All of the finalist gunblades are so much sicker looking and I hope we get at least one of them:

3 and 4 here loving own so hard

OddObserver
Apr 3, 2009
How are those weapon designs going to show up?

Badger of Basra
Jul 26, 2007

TBD. I don't think they ever tell you in advance, it's just a patch drops one day and oh this dungeon drops armor that is the winning design

FuturePastNow
May 19, 2014

The runner-up samurai swords are all pretty badass too.

Kerrzhe
Nov 5, 2008

im never gonna get out of silver :smith:

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Corbeau
Sep 13, 2010

Jack of All Trades

Kerrzhe posted:

im never gonna get out of silver :smith:

Honestly, I think silver and gold are the place to be. Games got noticeably less fun the moment I got into plat because any wild play gets punished way more consistently and harshly.