Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Pigbuster
Sep 12, 2010

Fun Shoe
https://twitter.com/Cybershell/status/1519492689279918080

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Pants Donkey
Nov 13, 2011

Shadow immediately dies in his first scene, being 50 years old which is well beyond a hedgehog’s lifespan.

16-bit Butt-Head
Dec 25, 2014
he was actually created from the DNA of an alien conqueror and is immortal and is not a hedgehog

Discendo Vox
Mar 21, 2013
Probation
Can't post for 14 hours!
It turns out it was actually a teaser for Mephiles.

wuggles
Jul 12, 2017

Someone already suggested Keanu as the perfect VA for Shadow, so who should play Amy? Jenny Slate so that she and Ben Schwartz can do more Parks and Rec references?

Larryb
Oct 5, 2010

wuggles posted:

Someone already suggested Keanu as the perfect VA for Shadow, so who should play Amy? Jenny Slate so that she and Ben Schwartz can do more Parks and Rec references?

That could work. Alternatively they could just get her current game VA like they did with Tails (the former of whom has improved tremendously since she dropped the weird Minnie Mouse impression)

DoctorWhat
Nov 18, 2011

A little privacy, please?

16-bit Butt-Head posted:

he was actually created from the DNA of an alien conqueror and is immortal and is not a hedgehog

That's a retcon. Shadow is absolutely a hedgehog because being a hedgehog is a prerequisite for becoming ultimate life. Shadow's appearance is a result of Gerald attempting to interpret the Super Sonic vs. Perfect Chaos prophecy mural from the ancient Echidna civilization. The Biolizard is an attempt - and not the only one - at an artificial Chaos.

The events of Sonic Adventure 2 were set in motion by a 50-year effort to force the prophecy that described Sonic Adventure 1 to occur.

Looper
Mar 1, 2012
ya i hope a hypothetical movie amy keeps her game actor. I'm not a fan of shadow's current va's take on the voice though and would be fine with a replacement

kirbysuperstar
Nov 11, 2012

Let the fools who stand before us be destroyed by the power you and I possess.

Looper posted:

ya i hope a hypothetical movie amy keeps her game actor. I'm not a fan of shadow's current va's take on the voice though and would be fine with a replacement

Kirk Thorton has gotten better at it but, but still isn't quite hitting the Jason Griffith highs though.

Either Lisa Ortiz or Cindy Robinson would be great for Amy though yeah

Funky Valentine
Feb 26, 2014

Dojyaa~an

Shadow is voiced by Will Arnett using the LEGO Batman voice.

Macaluso
Sep 23, 2005

I HATE THAT HEDGEHOG, BROTHER!

wuggles posted:

I'd be fine with them pulling a Tails and getting the VA that voices her for Sonic Boom

Larryb
Oct 5, 2010

Funky Valentine posted:

Shadow is voiced by Will Arnett using the LEGO Batman voice.

That might actually be an improvement honestly

As mentioned though, Kirk’s gotten better as of late but still isn’t quite up to Jason Griffith or David Humphrey levels (though honestly I think his Shadow would be better if he just used his Saix voice from Kingdom Hearts)

Larryb
Oct 5, 2010

Macaluso posted:

I'd be fine with them pulling a Tails and getting the VA that voices her for Sonic Boom

The Sonic Boom actress is the same one who’s voiced Amy in the games since Free Riders (she just dropped the weird Minnie Mouse impression as I mentioned)

Macaluso
Sep 23, 2005

I HATE THAT HEDGEHOG, BROTHER!

Larryb posted:

The Sonic Boom actress is the same one who’s voiced Amy in the games since Free Riders (she just dropped the weird Minnie Mouse impression as I mentioned)

Well there you go! I didn't bother looking it up so I wasn't sure if she's been doing it a while as well so i just mentioned Boom.

edit: I definitely missed your initial post right below his

MJeff
Jun 2, 2011

THE LIAR
https://twitter.com/Nibellion/status/1519656479657242624

Aw drat bro that sucks they just came in and killed your game for no reason. Can't imagine how that feels.

Palmtree Panic
Jul 28, 2007

He has no style, he has no grace
Release the Naka cut!

Dabir
Nov 10, 2012

Is that Yuji "<in Japanese> Demolish everything these bozos have done and take their tech for Sonic. Good thing these dumbass westerners can't speak Japanese lmao" Naka?

Detective No. 27
Jun 7, 2006

Someone did a better translation of the thread here.

https://twitter.com/Cheesemeister3k/status/1519667053283532801?t=2x3On_IdTsFT38vOAbFwpA&s=19

MJeff
Jun 2, 2011

THE LIAR
Dude just straight up admits HR booted him out lmao.

Pants Donkey
Nov 13, 2011

That sounds more like he’s upset the game had some incorrect songs in places and didn’t have proper time to fix bugs and such.

Which…fair, but the problem was the stupid one-button gameplay lol. No polish could fix that.

Ghost Leviathan
Mar 2, 2017

Exploration is ill-advised.
Introducing Amy in the same movie as Shadow would probably make a lot of sense? They're pretty opposite role-wise, Amy being probably comic relief and a relatively 'normal' character as far as talking alien hedgehogs go. Given the trio are orphans and/or outcasts, someone who actually like, has an ordinary life on whatever planet the talking colourful animal people come from, is used to walking around in public and probably has the equivalent of a social security number, might make for some fun contrast.

Selenephos
Jul 9, 2010

Yeah uh, I think if the entire development team and Square-Enix, including Square-Enix HR wanted to boot you from the project then that sounds more like the problem is with Yuji Naka than anyone else. I wouldn't be surprised if he was up to his usual abusive tricks during development and then is surprised that unlike at Sega, he's not some untouchable rockstar at Square-Enix.

It's a shame people are defending Naka on Twitter based entirely on a machine translation which left out important key details however.

Heran Bago
Aug 18, 2006

MJeff posted:

https://twitter.com/Nibellion/status/1519656479657242624

Aw drat bro that sucks they just came in and killed your game for no reason. Can't imagine how that feels.

This is my take as well.

Palmtree Panic
Jul 28, 2007

He has no style, he has no grace
Arzest is one of the worst developers out there. Square Enix releases multiple disasters every year. Its no surprise this game was a sloppy mess.

Yugi Naka is most definitely an rear end in a top hat who hasn't released a great game in almost two decades. Balan Wonderland was doomed from the start. Arzest &Square deserve all the blame, but Naka is not the person you should really expect much out of these days.

Electric Phantasm
Apr 7, 2011

YOSPOS

More like Yuji Baka.

Oxyclean
Sep 23, 2007

There was a deep dive recently into Sonic/Sonic Team's trouble history and it really was not favorable to Naka - he basically frequently would try to have other devs thrown under the bus. I think he had some other project cannibalized for the sake of Sonic Adventure or sosmuch.

He sounds genuinely like he was a bit of a dick.

Dabir
Nov 10, 2012

Oxyclean posted:

There was a deep dive recently into Sonic/Sonic Team's trouble history and it really was not favorable to Naka - he basically frequently would try to have other devs thrown under the bus. I think he had some other project cannibalized for the sake of Sonic Adventure or sosmuch.

Yeah that's what I was referencing. He showed up at their office to see what they'd got, and he was walking around telling his own team "this looks good, it'll work well when we shut this place down and use it for Sonic". Didn't realise most of them could speak Japanese and every engineer the studio had quit.

16-bit Butt-Head
Dec 25, 2014
it is difficult to remain humble when you helped create sonic the hedgehog

Augus
Mar 9, 2015

Pants Donkey posted:

That sounds more like he’s upset the game had some incorrect songs in places and didn’t have proper time to fix bugs and such..

The translation still makes things a bit unclear but it seems like he was arguing with Fujimoto about the fact that the game was marketed using a fan-made rearrangement instead of the music, and he was accused of damaging the relationship with Arzest by saying that the game wasn’t in a satisfactory state when Arzest handed it off to them and would need more work, so they fired him

pentyne
Nov 7, 2012

Oxyclean posted:

secretly best girl posted:

Naka stories that might bear revisiting in the wake of this debacle: Prope

Why does it now consist solely of himself? Well, there was this infamous debacle, Rodea the Sky Soldier, a game Prope was developing for the Wii that didn't release until a WiiU version by an entirely different team hit shelves, wherein the Wii version was added to first printings as a bonus disc. Somewhere during this tale of "I dunno, weird", every employee not named Yuji Naka found themselves without a job "since April 2017", and I believe that's the most we ever got on the record about this.

Looks like he's always been a major problem for the people around him.

16-bit Butt-Head
Dec 25, 2014
naka is bad and is the reason so many bad sonic games were released imo

Dabir
Nov 10, 2012

16-bit Butt-Head posted:

naka is bad and is the reason so many bad sonic games were released imo

True, he's not there now and the bad sonic games take many years to release

Captain France
Aug 3, 2013

DoctorWhat posted:

That's a retcon. Shadow is absolutely a hedgehog because being a hedgehog is a prerequisite for becoming ultimate life. Shadow's appearance is a result of Gerald attempting to interpret the Super Sonic vs. Perfect Chaos prophecy mural from the ancient Echidna civilization. The Biolizard is an attempt - and not the only one - at an artificial Chaos.

The events of Sonic Adventure 2 were set in motion by a 50-year effort to force the prophecy that described Sonic Adventure 1 to occur.

I suppose the question is if a bunch of weird science stuff in the shape of a Hedgehog that thinks they're a Hedgehog but does not necessarily contain Hedgehog DNA qualifies as a Hedgehog.

Robot Style
Jul 5, 2009

Discendo Vox posted:

It turns out it was actually a teaser for Mephiles.

Honestly, it probably wouldn't be too hard to combine the entire modern pre-boost era into one movie.

• Robotnik finds out about Chaos, and maybe that his grandfather created Shadow to try to harness its power (Perfect Chaos being the "Ultimate Lifeform" here).
  • After busting Shadow out, Shadow starts doing crimes that are pinned on Sonic.
  • Silver comes back from a Chaos-destroyed future, blames Sonic for the things Shadow did.
  • Act 1 ends with James Marsden being kicked off the police force for harboring a fugitive, and they have to spend Act 2 going on an adventure to clear Sonic's name and stop Robotnik
  • In Act 3 Chaos is released, Shadow has his face turn, Silver realizes Sonic was innocent, and the 3 team up to beat Chaos.
  • Shadow dies, but in the post-credits scene Agent Stone kisses him square on the lips and brings him back to life.

Nodosaur
Dec 23, 2014

Robot Style posted:

Honestly, it probably wouldn't be too hard to combine the entire modern pre-boost era into one movie.

• Robotnik finds out about Chaos, and maybe that his grandfather created Shadow to try to harness its power (Perfect Chaos being the "Ultimate Lifeform" here).
  • After busting Shadow out, Shadow starts doing crimes that are pinned on Sonic.
  • Silver comes back from a Chaos-destroyed future, blames Sonic for the things Shadow did.
  • Act 1 ends with James Marsden being kicked off the police force for harboring a fugitive, and they have to spend Act 2 going on an adventure to clear Sonic's name and stop Robotnik
  • In Act 3 Chaos is released, Shadow has his face turn, Silver realizes Sonic was innocent, and the 3 team up to beat Chaos.
  • Shadow dies, but in the post-credits scene Agent Stone kisses him square on the lips and brings him back to life.

Stone shouldn't kiss anyone except Robotnik

Willo567
Feb 5, 2015

Cheating helped me fail the test and stay on the show.

Dabir posted:

Yeah that's what I was referencing. He showed up at their office to see what they'd got, and he was walking around telling his own team "this looks good, it'll work well when we shut this place down and use it for Sonic". Didn't realise most of them could speak Japanese and every engineer the studio had quit.
Naka is a loving rear end in a top hat. I have absolutely no respect for him - at least Inafune admitted he hosed up with Mighty Number 9 and tried to give credit to the guy who actually created Mega Man

Larryb
Oct 5, 2010

Willo567 posted:

Naka is a loving rear end in a top hat. I have absolutely no respect for him - at least Inafune admitted he hosed up with Mighty Number 9 and tried to give credit to the guy who actually created Mega Man

On a similar note, is it true that Naka is not technically the “father” of Sonic either (and if so, who should mostly be credited with the character’s creation)?

MJeff
Jun 2, 2011

THE LIAR
The real shame about Naka and Squeenix parting so acrimoniously is that it means they won't be able to keep annoying the gently caress out of each other for years to come. Sounds like two parties that really deserve each other.

MJeff
Jun 2, 2011

THE LIAR

Larryb posted:

On a similar note, is it true that Naka is not technically the “father” of Sonic either (and if so, who should mostly be credited with the character’s creation)?

I'm sure the truth is more complicated than this, a game is the work of an entire team after all, but the generally accepted history is that three people created Sonic. Naoto Oshima designed the character, Yuji Naka was a programmer and Hirokazu Yasuhara designed gameplay and levels.

All three deserve some level of credit, but if you're looking for the one person most responsible for what made those first few Slnic games special, you're probably looking at Yasuhara.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Baggot
Sep 9, 2009

Hail to the King, baby.

Larryb posted:

Naoto Ohshima was the character designer, and Hirokazu Yasuhara was the game planner and level designer on Sonics 1 and 2. Yuji Naka was the programmer and the guy who made the engine and physics work in the Genesis games. So arguably all three of these people can be equally credited with being the "father" of Sonic but Naka (in)famously has taken most of the credit for it and seemed to assume the title in the zeitgeist.