Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

CRUSTY MINGE
Mar 30, 2011

Peggy Hill
Foot Connoisseur

GD_American posted:

I was essentially a fobbit in OIF2, but on a base large enough and close enough to population (Baqubah) that we got mortared daily. We got very blase about it; they essentially chucked a few rounds randomly every day at our (mostly empty) base. You got fatalistic; it either hit you or it didn't.

Anaconda was a pretty wild place for as big as it was. I still have the tail fin from a french type 25 rocket (70mm~ or so) that direct hit a building I was in at the time. The Saddam concrete was so lovely the warhead just burrowed in without detonating.

The tail fin has been my keychain for 17 years.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

psydude
Apr 1, 2008

One of my E5s was taking a poo poo in a connex shitter at Shank when a mortar duded off the roof. We got a lot of joke mileage out of that one.

A week later we took a direct hit. The rocket hit a HESCO and killed two Afghan contractors standing next to two of my guys. They were only spared because there was a single section of T-wall between them. The rocket and mortar jokes stopped after that.

Steezo
Jun 16, 2003
Now go away, or I shall taunt you a second time!

Blind Rasputin posted:

I know nothing but I looked up what an artillery crew does and stumbled on this video and holy poo poo😳😳😳

https://youtu.be/CdO_0twP_CU

That huge guy handling the ramming rod single handed wtf even is that human.

Anyone can one man one hand ram a round, whats impressive is when you meet the fucker who can one man one hand bore punch a 155.

Dance Officer
May 4, 2017

It would be awesome if we could dance!
Crossposting from the Airpower thread, the Germans are folding and going to pay for gas with rubles.

https://www.bbc.com/news/business-61257846

ASAPI
Apr 20, 2007
I invented the line.

Dance Officer posted:

Crossposting from the Airpower thread, the Germans are folding and going to pay for gas with rubles.

That already happened, Russia refused the payment for some reason. I saw a bunch of headlines yesterday about this.

CommieGIR
Aug 22, 2006

The blue glow is a feature, not a bug

Pillbug

Dance Officer posted:

Kind of. They were trying to pay through the NORMAL Gazprom method which does convert Euro to Rubles.

But as the above said: Russia wants Rubles directly or nothing at all to force Germany to prop up their currency even more.

zoux
Apr 28, 2006

That gun is moving around a lot, they don't have to re-target after firing?

CainFortea
Oct 15, 2004

zoux posted:

Rotation is extremely bad movement for artillery.

Just shoving back a few inches each shot is meaningless.

PookBear
Nov 1, 2008

Yesterday we were talking about artillery and I typed up some stuff but didn't finish it.

So arty has three parts: 1) observer 2) fire direction control 3) gun crew.

The basic way use is observer talks to the fdc for a fire mission, fdc translates the target location into data for the guns, and then one gun fires. shell lands, observer sends back corrections (left, right, add, drop). Once on target, the whole battery can fire x amount of rounds using the same data. Because they're using the same data, the impacts will roughly land in the same pattern that guns are arranged on the ground.

it looks something like this

If you're trying to ambush a convoy coming down a road, things get more complex. the FDC can give each gun their own data so that all the fires converge on a single spot IE the road. You can have the guns knock out the lead vehicle and then start working back down the road. You can have a second battery (or half the first battery) start working the convoy over from the tail end and start moving up the road.

If there are obstacles on one or both sides of the road or you knock out enough vehicles to make your own roadbloack, you can make it really fun by throwing in wp so they can't see how to even drive out of the ambush, or risk driving into a canal, mud, etc. not to mention the other fun side effects.

So there is a pretty huge difference between a barely trained arty unit and a really good one, especially if the enemy does something cowardly like trying to move.

bulletsponge13
Apr 28, 2010

And a good FO is worth their weight.

A.o.D.
Jan 15, 2006

bulletsponge13 posted:

And a good FO is worth their weight in pizza MREs

Icon Of Sin
Dec 26, 2008

I’m a former infantry guy, and I never knew a whole hell of a lot about artillery aside from how to call for it (and even that’s really rusty).

I just looked up some videos of US and Canadian dudes firing off an M777 Howitzer (155mm), and that looks like a lot of moving parts that they cram into about 10-12 seconds before sending another round downrange. I know there are relentless drills and training involved, but it still looks like a ton of stuff is going on within a short window to get those rounds out of the barrel and on their way, let alone getting those rounds to where they’re supposed to be going.

Steezo
Jun 16, 2003
Now go away, or I shall taunt you a second time!

zoux posted:

The gunner and a-gunner are doing that but you have to know what to look for. The guys checking vials on the left and right side of the cannon.

Icon Of Sin posted:

I’m a former infantry guy, and I never knew a whole hell of a lot about artillery aside from how to call for it (and even that’s really rusty).

I just looked up some videos of US and Canadian dudes firing off an M777 Howitzer (155mm), and that looks like a lot of moving parts that they cram into about 10-12 seconds before sending another round downrange. I know there are relentless drills and training involved, but it still looks like a ton of stuff is going on within a short window to get those rounds out of the barrel and on their way, let alone getting those rounds to where they’re supposed to be going.

They're called cannoneer drills and yes, you do them a lot as a crewman. Still have my gunners card around here somewhere. You're often competing within your own battery not just to be the first to fire the mission, but first to hit the target, as missing with a howitzer is very very bad.

Edit : A lot of the drilling is emplacing and displacing and the pintle weight of a 155 is a four man, or two really swole men lift.

Steezo fucked around with this message at 21:48 on Apr 28, 2022

bulletsponge13
Apr 28, 2010

Icon Of Sin posted:

I thought TOW drills were beast.

I spent some YouTube doing drills/firing, and it is baller.

Arrath
Apr 14, 2011

How many gun crew end up on pit crews later in their carer. Feels like a good transition for their tightly choreographed ballet of heavy items and things that might explode.

Lovely Joe Stalin
Jun 12, 2007

Our Lovely Wang
Drilling is fine, but did you race?

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=6lhx6Q3WuvU

Crab Dad
Dec 28, 2002

behold i have tempered and refined thee, but not as silver; as CRAB

Mad loving respect.

Wasabi the J
Jan 23, 2008

MOM WAS RIGHT
My battalion had matching satellite trucks from the day and we sure as gently caress did complete because we're loving goobers, but also because we were usually shooting to each other.

Casimir Radon
Aug 2, 2008

Science Daddy please buy Circuit City, Sears, and Blockbuster for the lulz. Also don’t read the contracts very well.

ASAPI
Apr 20, 2007
I invented the line.

Wasabi the J posted:

My battalion had matching satellite trucks from the day and we sure as gently caress did complete because we're loving goobers, but also because we were usually shooting to each other.

Oh poo poo! A 93! It's been forever since I've seen one of those!

bulletsponge13
Apr 28, 2010

I typically hate this poo poo, but that is cool as hell.

Marshal Prolapse
Jun 23, 2012

by Jeffrey of YOSPOS

Crab Dad posted:

Mad loving respect.

See I feel like the difference between when they do this and when the Russians do it is that the British will put on a good show and their guys can actually do it in a real situation. Not to besmirch the high quality of the VDV and Spetnaz. lol

Vincent Van Goatse
Nov 8, 2006

Enjoy every sandwich.

Smellrose

Marshal Prolapse posted:

See I feel like the difference between when they do this and when the Russians do it is that the British will put on a good show and their guys can actually do it in a real situation. Not to besmirch the high quality of the VDV and Spetnaz. lol

That gun they're carrying is a 19th century field piece. There's not much call to do the gun race in actual combat, it's entirely a bragging rights/tradition thing like the US Army's horse cavalry demonstration unit. Having said that, those fellows are absolutely professionals when they go back to their day jobs pushing buttons or maintaining equipment.

GD_American
Jul 21, 2004

LISTEN TO WHAT I HAVE TO SAY AS IT'S INCREDIBLY IMPORTANT!

Wasabi the J posted:

What manner of linen napkin EAC loving bullshit is this

Lovely Joe Stalin
Jun 12, 2007

Our Lovely Wang

Vincent Van Goatse posted:

That gun they're carrying is a 19th century field piece. There's not much call to do the gun race in actual combat, it's entirely a bragging rights/tradition thing like the US Army's horse cavalry demonstration unit. Having said that, those fellows are absolutely professionals when they go back to their day jobs pushing buttons or maintaining equipment.

Yeah, it's a competition that came about as a way of commemorating the Relief of Ladysmith during the Second Boer War. Two RN ships, Terrible and Powerful sent gun crews ashore to support the army. The terrain was lovely and the wheels of one one gun broke, so for a couple of miles its crew carried it.

Loden Taylor
Aug 11, 2003

pfft how quickly we forget the far superior North Korean exhibitions that demonstrate uhhhh

https://i.imgur.com/Bie5fA9.mp4

Marshal Prolapse
Jun 23, 2012

by Jeffrey of YOSPOS

Vincent Van Goatse posted:

I guess my point is also that they probably can actually do functional military things...as opposed to well this.

honda whisperer
Mar 29, 2009

Arrath posted:

How many gun crew end up on pit crews later in their carer. Feels like a good transition for their tightly choreographed ballet of heavy items and things that might explode.

Pro race teams target almost but didn't make the pros college athletes.

A.o.D.
Jan 15, 2006

bulletsponge13 posted:

I typically hate this poo poo, but that is cool as hell.

At least there's teamwork on display here.

Murgos
Oct 21, 2010

Loden Taylor posted:

pfft how quickly we forget the far superior North Korean exhibitions that demonstrate uhhhh

You laugh but that man took out a an Abrams with his forehead.

Alan Smithee
Jan 4, 2005

A man becomes preeminent, he's expected to have enthusiasms.

Enthusiasms, enthusiasms...

Loden Taylor posted:

anti Explosive Reactive Armor suicide infantry

Alan Smithee
Jan 4, 2005

Marshal Prolapse posted:

I guess my point is also that they probably can actually do functional military things...as opposed to well this.

you laugh but when a VDV man gets his foot caught in a parachute flying into Tomatotown

Jimmy Smuts
Aug 8, 2000

Murgos posted:

You laugh but that man took out a an Abrams with his forehead.
Glorious North Korea has no need for fancy Javelins or RPGs, due to sheer fighting spirit

Wrong Theory
Aug 27, 2005

Satellite from days of old, lead me to your access code

Alan Smithee posted:

anti Explosive Reactive Armor suicide infantry

The natural progression of the claymore team where one person gets the clacker and the other person runs with the claymore front towards enemy!

Dear leader is really digging that demonstration lol.

Alan Smithee
Jan 4, 2005

Wrong Theory posted:

The natural progression of the claymore team where one person gets the clacker and the other person runs with the claymore front towards enemy!

Dear leader is really digging that demonstration lol.

so they did learn from the NATO response to the tree incident

Herstory Begins Now
Aug 5, 2003
SOME REALLY TEDIOUS DUMB SHIT THAT SUCKS ASS TO READ ->>
i'd be clapping like hell at that, too. last thing i want is them to send that guys forehead after me

Alan Smithee
Jan 4, 2005

you have displeased Kim

death by running into bricks

Stultus Maximus
Dec 21, 2009

USPOL May

Marshal Prolapse posted:

Hey remember these assholes?

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=P5ar7vYg0pY

https://twitter.com/tedcruz/status/1395394254969753601

FrozenVent
May 1, 2009

The Boeing 737-200QC is the undisputed workhorse of the skies.

A tweet so bad it makes you want to flee to Mexico.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Casimir Radon
Aug 2, 2008

Sayeth Ted Cruz. A weenie bitch who never served 5 minutes in the military nor did anyone in his family.