Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Liquid Communism
Mar 9, 2004

коммунизм хранится в яичках

Ok Comboomer posted:

This has been posted before, but pickup trucks have mainly been used on worksites and professionally to move personnel. It’s just that historically you used to have guys ride in the bed before OSHA/DoT/etc put an end to that.

They also still sell a ton of regular cab trucks. Just mostly in bare ones fleet spec in any color as.long as you want white.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

bird with big dick
Oct 21, 2015

So I'm going to have to use the included J1772 adapter to charge the Tesla with my Grizzl-E, it's probably not a bad idea to buy a second one so I can still keep one with the car, right?

The tesla wall charger is hardwire only, right? I don't really want to bother doing that I don't think.

Endymion FRS MK1
Oct 29, 2011

I don't know what this thing is, and I don't care. I'm just tired of seeing your stupid newbie av from 2011.

bird with big dick posted:

So I'm going to have to use the included J1772 adapter to charge the Tesla with my Grizzl-E, it's probably not a bad idea to buy a second one so I can still keep one with the car, right?

The tesla wall charger is hardwire only, right? I don't really want to bother doing that I don't think.

I just sold my Grizzle-e and just mounted the mobile adapter to my garage wall using the the 14-50 outlet

Indiana_Krom
Jun 18, 2007
Net Slacker
Tesla HPWC can be pig tailed, but it requires a little more work than just hard wiring and you lose some charging speed because of it (40A max instead of 48A) if you do which is why nobody ever does that. If you wanted to stick it on a 14-50 outlet just buy the corded mobile connector instead since it costs less, the one with the permanent 14-50 plug on it since those also go to 40A.

The real bizarre twist is that for L2 EVSE units, the Tesla HPWC at $495 US is one of the least expensive units out there that can do 11.5 kW. Same for the gen 2 mobile connector, at $275 it is also less expensive than just about any other mobile EVSE that can do 7.6 kW. My guess for why they are less expensive than alternative J1772 units is because Tesla moves hundreds of times the volume and has a big economy of scale advantage.

stevewm
May 10, 2005
YouTubers Aging Wheels and Technology Connections made a short road trip video with TC's new Ioniq 5

https://youtu.be/1Vm_ASm2zfs

800v is definitely the way to go!

trilobite terror
Oct 20, 2007
BUT MY LIVELIHOOD DEPENDS ON THE FORUMS!

stevewm posted:

YouTubers Aging Wheels and Technology Connections made a short road trip video with TC's new Ioniq 5

https://youtu.be/1Vm_ASm2zfs

800v is definitely the way to go!

huh I never pegged Alec as a Dunks guy

cruft
Oct 25, 2007

bird with big dick posted:

I sure would.

Haven't used the mobile EVSE more than maybe twice ever, but I've used that adapter a bunch.

Literally Lewis Hamilton
Feb 22, 2005

Liquid Communism posted:

They also still sell a ton of regular cab trucks. Just mostly in bare ones fleet spec in any color as.long as you want white.

Nah. Single cabs are 3% of pickup sales.

Citizen Z
Jul 13, 2009

~Hanzo Steel~

cruft posted:

I sure would.

Haven't used the mobile EVSE more than maybe twice ever, but I've used that adapter a bunch.

I had to use my Tesla to J1772 adapter a bunch on my road trip because of Teslas using their J1772 to Tesla adapters. :allears:

Chin Strap
Nov 24, 2002

I failed my TFLC Toxx, but I no longer need a double chin strap :buddy:
Pillbug

Citizen Z posted:

I had to use my Tesla to J1772 adapter a bunch on my road trip because of Teslas using their J1772 to Tesla adapters. :allears:

Would you suggest getting one? That will work with everything but supercharger stations right? Random businesses with Tesla plugs I can use that at?

Nfcknblvbl
Jul 15, 2002

I would suggest getting one, especially if your EV charges at speeds greater than 6kW since most J1772 destination chargers max out at that speed from my experience at least. The adapter's AC only.

Citizen Z
Jul 13, 2009

~Hanzo Steel~

Chin Strap posted:

Would you suggest getting one? That will work with everything but supercharger stations right? Random businesses with Tesla plugs I can use that at?

I would get one if you need to charge at public L2 stations as anything more than a convenience. I came across a lot of situations where Tesla was all that was available, or the J-1772 plug was in use at a mixed charging spot at hotels or spots where I had to charge to hit my next destination.

The mini tesla tap is small enough that you can just shove it in your glove box or something. It even fits in the EV6 "frunk"!

Chin Strap
Nov 24, 2002

I failed my TFLC Toxx, but I no longer need a double chin strap :buddy:
Pillbug
I went with the TeslaTap Mini, found that there is a coupon code running right now "IONIQ5" gave me 15% off. https://www.reddit.com/r/Ioniq5/comments/u6eud1/teslatap_coupon/ says it is only good until 4/27 but still worked for me right now.

Kia Soul Enthusias
May 9, 2004

zoom-zoom
Toilet Rascal

Chin Strap posted:

I went with the TeslaTap Mini, found that there is a coupon code running right now "IONIQ5" gave me 15% off. https://www.reddit.com/r/Ioniq5/comments/u6eud1/teslatap_coupon/ says it is only good until 4/27 but still worked for me right now.

Oh wow, those are pricey, the Mini is quite a nice size though.

Darchangel
Feb 12, 2009

Tell him about the blower!

VideoGameVet posted:

The livestream of the unveiling of Ford’s F-150 Lightning just wrapped up a few minutes ago, and while there was not a ton of new or groundbreaking information on the truck itself, Ford CEO Jim Farley did drop quite the little nugget during his speech: there’s probably an EV Ranger on the way.

“We’re already pushing dirt down in Blue Oval City in Tennessee for another electric pickup truck that’s different than this one,” Farley said.

That means there’s already another EV Ford truck in the works.

According to a Ford spokesperson, the new EV “will be a next-gen electric truck, different from F-150 Lightning.” While we cannot confirm if the new EV will be based on the Ranger or Maverick, the smart money is on Ranger.

https://jalopnik.com/ford-just-announced-a-second-electric-pickup-truck-1848844166

Me? I'd rather it be the Maverick/

Several of the reviews/announcements of the Maverick I read claimed there would be an EV. I’d like one myself.

KYOON GRIFFEY JR posted:

batteries are stupid easy to remanufacture

GM responded claiming that they are still making Spark batteries, but his are experiencing a supply disruption. Kinda stupid to completely remove it from the parts system entirely, then…

https://www.pcmag.com/news/gm-reportedly-stops-making-chevy-spark-ev-batteries?utm_source=email&utm_campaign=whatsnewnow&utm_medium=title

darnon
Nov 8, 2009

Darchangel posted:

Several of the reviews/announcements of the Maverick I read claimed there would be an EV. I’d like one myself.

One of the designers of the Maverick pointed out the C2 platform isn't designed for BEV use. That said the Escape is slated to get overhauled in 2025 so maybe the chassis will get some re-engineered for that purpose then.

MustardFacial
Jun 20, 2011
George Russel's
Official Something Awful Account
Lifelong Tory Voter

MrYenko posted:

I’m excited to see what they do with with an EV Corvette, but I really can’t bring myself to be excited for a hybrid. I feel like for a performance car, I want something with a pure experience, and no amount of engineer man-hours tuning motor cut-in and torque balancing is going to improve that. We value the imperfections in the experience almost as much as the strengths. Give me an EV Corvette that only has 190mi of range and no trunk but can beat a Tesla S Plaid from a dig/on a road course instead of a hybrid that gets 29mpg and otherwise is a regular C8 any day of the week.

I dunno dude, the McLaren P1 and the Porsche 918 Hybrid are both really good.

Also Formula 1 cars.

Darchangel
Feb 12, 2009

Tell him about the blower!

darnon posted:

One of the designers of the Maverick pointed out the C2 platform isn't designed for BEV use. That said the Escape is slated to get overhauled in 2025 so maybe the chassis will get some re-engineered for that purpose then.

Makes sense. At least the hybrid option exists, and the Ecoboost isn't exactly a fuel hog. I can wait - I don't want a car payment right now anyway...

Steakandchips
Apr 30, 2009

I have a Harley LiveWire motorcycle in Scotland.

At home I have a Zappi type 2 tethered 7kw charger that charges the bike at 1.5kw because that's the max the bike can charge at on AC.

When I am out and about, I can use public type 3 tethered CCS chargers to charge at DC at 25kw, that's the max the bike can charge at on DC.

I cannot use most public type 2 chargers in the UK as they are untethered, and the charging cable that comes with the bike (which lives under the seat of the bike) isn't a type 2 to type 2; it's a type 2 to UK domestic 3 pin socket.

I want to buy a 2 metre long type 2 to type 2 cable so I can use public type 2 untethered chargers.

Not sure if I should get the 16a or 32a version:
https://evcables.com/collections/type-2/products/type-2-to-type-2-ev-charging-cable?variant=41393166123188

I.e. will the 16a (thinner gauge cable) work on 32a single phase type 2 public chargers, or will it go "your cable is too thin, nope"?

Ideally I'd like the thinner one so it's easier to place under the seat of the bike.

Elviscat
Jan 1, 2008

Well don't you know I'm caught in a trap?

If the bike's max charge rate is 1.5 kw go with the 16A cable, the charger ha s no way of knowing what gauge the cable is, so as long as it's rated to the max current the bike can draw you're good.

Steakandchips
Apr 30, 2009

Perfect, thank you, now I just hope the cable will fit under the bike seat (it should, the existing cable has a fat adapter box on it and that fits in fine...).

Hawkperson
Jun 20, 2003

Me, completely unironically, plugging my Leaf into a ChargePoint next to a Tesla supercharger station: The butt ends of Teslas are so loving big, they look stupid

Aino Minako
Dec 16, 2007

Perpetual rage elemental

Hawkperson posted:

Me, completely unironically, plugging my Leaf into a ChargePoint next to a Tesla supercharger station: The butt ends of Teslas are so loving big, they look stupid

It’s so you can fit a lot of junk in there.

Endymion FRS MK1
Oct 29, 2011

I don't know what this thing is, and I don't care. I'm just tired of seeing your stupid newbie av from 2011.
https://youtu.be/8TzCMsKd8s8

Charging time/curve for the Toyota bZ4x. Finally something that can compete with the Bolt!

…wait it’s not 2017 anymore?

Wayne Knight
May 11, 2006

Not wonderful

Lord Decimus Barnacle
Jun 25, 2005

Hell Gem
4.4 hours 0-99%

mobby_6kl
Aug 9, 2009

by Fluffdaddy
What in the hell? It has to be some kind of bug, right? There's no reason to charge under 1C for most of it

Kia Soul Enthusias
May 9, 2004

zoom-zoom
Toilet Rascal
Toyota is inexperienced, is trying to maximize warranty and has a huge buffer. I think he said he only put in about 60kwh out of a 72kwh pack. They say 0-80 in an hour but it seems worse than that? Not sure if he said how long it took him to get to 80%, which is kind of important to know. The Panasonic battery is way better but in the U.S. at least, only the FWD gets it.

Sonic Dude
May 6, 2009

mobby_6kl posted:

What in the hell? It has to be some kind of bug, right? There's no reason to charge under 1C for most of it

There is when your business model relies on the industry’s continued use of your valuable hybrid drivetrain patents.

YOLOsubmarine
Oct 19, 2004

When asked which Pokemon he evolved into, Kamara pauses.

"Motherfucking, what's that big dragon shit? That orange motherfucker. Charizard."

Sonic Dude posted:

There is when your business model relies on the industry’s continued use of your valuable hybrid drivetrain patents.

I don’t think Toyota made their EV charge bad on purpose to sell more Priuses.

Endymion FRS MK1
Oct 29, 2011

Kia Soul Enthusias posted:

Toyota is inexperienced, is trying to maximize warranty and has a huge buffer. I think he said he only put in about 60kwh out of a 72kwh pack. They say 0-80 in an hour but it seems worse than that? Not sure if he said how long it took him to get to 80%, which is kind of important to know. The Panasonic battery is way better but in the U.S. at least, only the FWD gets it.

It was indeed an hour 0-80

Russian Bear
Dec 26, 2007

Sonic Dude posted:

Toyota isn’t going to make a bad product on purpose jfc. EV media needs to get over this Toyota is anti EV narrative.

VideoGameVet
May 14, 2005

It is by caffeine alone I set my bike in motion. It is by the juice of Java that pedaling acquires speed, the teeth acquire stains, stains become a warning. It is by caffeine alone I set my bike in motion.

Wayne Knight posted:

Not wonderful

I'll stop complaining about my Niro now.

How did Toyota totally mess that up?

Indiana_Krom
Jun 18, 2007
Net Slacker
Is there much difference between making a bad product on purpose and not making a good product on purpose?

trilobite terror
Oct 20, 2007
BUT MY LIVELIHOOD DEPENDS ON THE FORUMS!

Sonic Dude posted:

lol hybrids are nobody’s sales leader, not remotely, not even Toyota’s

Russian Bear posted:

Toyota isn’t going to make a bad product on purpose jfc. EV media needs to get over this Toyota is anti EV narrative.

For real. It’s way less that “Toyota is anti EV” and more “Toyota stalled and stalled while working furiously in the background, until they were ready to show their hand/couldn’t stall any further”

Toyota has worked very hard to get to where they are in the industry both in terms of size/sales/finances and in reputation, and it wasn’t going to publicly go in on EVs until there was a lineup and actionable roadmap to show.

Toyota wants to at least try to remain the “Toyota” of the automotive industry. They were more than happy to let Tesla and GM and Nissan and BMW take lumps and make incremental gains and release (and often recall) 1-2 semi-baked cars, and they definitely didn’t want to deal with having a Bolt or an i3 of their own.

I don’t think they would’ve shown off 30 prototype electric cars with the intent to have them all on sale by 2030 and committed $70 billion to the endeavor, along with a plan to make Lexus 100% electric in ~10 years if they were anti EV

Tiny Timbs
Sep 6, 2008

With a name like that I don’t think they were taking it seriously at all

wolrah
May 8, 2006
what?

Kia Soul Enthusias posted:

Toyota is inexperienced, is trying to maximize warranty and has a huge buffer.

The latter two may be true, but I don't think at this point we should give them the benefit of the doubt on "inexperience". The first-gen RAV4 EV in 1997 was arguably the best of the '90s California compliance era. They've been dominating the hybrid market for over two decades and they worked directly with Tesla on the second-gen RAV4 EV. Toyota has been working with batteries and electric motors in production for longer than most other major automakers.

Even though they haven't been focusing on pure EV, I feel like they should be expected to be doing better than the other legacy automakers. At least they shouldn't be given any slack for being worse.

Sonic Dude posted:

This conspiracy theory doesn't really make sense, because Toyota making a subpar EV doesn't do anything to encourage the industry to keep using their patents.

YOLOsubmarine
Oct 19, 2004

When asked which Pokemon he evolved into, Kamara pauses.

"Motherfucking, what's that big dragon shit? That orange motherfucker. Charizard."

Indiana_Krom posted:

Is there much difference between making a bad product on purpose and not making a good product on purpose?

Do you think Toyota designed and executives sat down in a room and said “let’s not make a good product?”

It’s the first EV from a company that is hyper-sensitive to reliability and longevity issues, it’s terribly surprising that they’re being very conservative with the charging capabilities. That’s not to say that it’s good, but you don’t need to manufacture a “Toyota made a bad car on purpose”take to see how they ended up here.

Finger Prince
Jan 5, 2007

Tiny Timbs posted:

With a name like that I don’t think they were taking it seriously at all

They figured all the cool kids call cars by their chassis codes so why not just make the chassis code the car name?

In all likelihood, all the demographic and market research data Toyota has said their Rav4/Sienna/Camry demographic typically doesn't care about fast charging and leaves their car in the driveway or garage for an average of 14 hours/day, so they didn't prioritize it.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Tom Guycot
Oct 15, 2008

Chief of Governors

Wayne Knight posted:

Not wonderful

Is it unreasonable to think in 2022 a brand new EV platform (not an existing platform that debuted years ago) shouldn't be charging under 100kw peak at least?

How does this graph actually compare to other current new EVs, is there somewhere to look it up and overlay in comparison to others?