Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.
Do you like Alien 3 "Assembly Cut"?
Yes, Alien 3 "Assembly Cut" was tits.
No, Alien and Aliens are the only valid Alien films.
Nah gently caress you Alien 3 sucks in all its forms.
View Results

PeterCat
Apr 8, 2020

Believe women.

ruddiger posted:

Aliens feels so restricted by its sets and budget when you watch it against things like Platoon or Black Hawk Down.

Well, Ridley Scott is a better director than James Cameron. BHD is a better war movie than Aliens, though BHD had the advantage of support from the DoD.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Neo Rasa
Mar 8, 2007
Everyone should play DUKE games.

:dukedog:

Basebf555 posted:

Watched Alien and Aliens last night for my Alien Day. I definitely noticed that Aliens felt a bit cheap and the production design was not on the same level as Alien, it's much easier to notice when you watch them back to back like that. It may also be that the blu ray doesn't do the sets any favors, it all has a somewhat flat appearance, whereas I watch Alien on UHD so there's a lot more detail and texture to everything.

Anyway, there's a few shots during the Alien Queen sequence that don't seem to get mentioned a lot, but they're some of my favorite in the movie. It's the shots where Ripley is going apeshit, blowing everything up and it's a composite of her in the foreground and the Alien Queen in the background. I couldn't find them anywhere to post them but I just love the look of those shots, last night it occurred to me that they remind me of that boss on the classic NES came Contra(obviously that boss was inspired by the xeno).

I think it's especially noticeable during the APC rescue, it's just really obvious that there's like nothing there when it's speeding it's way towards the hive/wall.

SuperMechagodzilla
Jun 9, 2007

NEWT REBORN

DeimosRising posted:

Hey what was that EGG movie you posted recently? I haven’t gotten a chance to watch it yet, is it an alien movie?

EGG (2005) is an EGG movie, not an Alien movie. But it is somewhat Alien-adjacent, given that it centers around an egg.

ruddiger posted:

Aliens feels so restricted by its sets and budget when you watch it against things like Platoon or Black Hawk Down.

I'm going to (probably) blaspheme, and say it's a lot of the production design and even just Cameron's focus. Like, the story is set in a frontier town in the Space 1980's, with a population of over 100 - but you get basically nothing about what life is like beyond Ripley's ugly-rear end space sneakers and a few quick shots of a donut and a dang habitrail. Contrast the setting with the mining colony in Outland, which had roughly the same budget. There you got the saloon, the sheriff's office, the brothel, the living quarters, mess hall, the actual places where the mining is done, etc.

Aliens just doesn't really do the heavy lifting of creating a plausible environment. It has a utilitarian aesthetic, but things aren't actually functional at all: troops wearing short sleeves to fight acid monsters, the APC with zero ground clearance.... Everyone loves the Tonka-truck style of the power-loader suit, but there's a reason forklifts don't have legs.

Like, why does Hadley's Hope have a welcome sign at the edge of town? Who's driving there?

SuperMechagodzilla fucked around with this message at 16:29 on Apr 28, 2022

ruddiger
Jun 3, 2004

PeterCat posted:

Well, Ridley Scott is a better director than James Cameron. BHD is a better war movie than Aliens, though BHD had the advantage of support from the DoD.

Goddamn I didn't even think about Ridley directing Black Hawk Down and I brought it up.

Gargamel Gibson
Apr 24, 2014

Dog_Meat posted:

- An awkward exchange as Ripley is leaving to go and find Newt where Hicks tells her his name is Dwayne

Awkward? I think it's a nice little moment.

sigher
Apr 22, 2008

My guiding Moonlight...

Payndz posted:

That wouldn't make sense without altering the plot, though, as the only reason Newt's family go to the Derelict is because they were sent there by Burke, and he didn't do that until after he'd heard Ripley's report and (presumably) got an idea of where to look for it.

That's true.

SuperMechagodzilla posted:

Like, why does Hadley's Hope have a welcome sign at the edge of town? Who's driving there?

lol, I never thought of that. I guess it's for people like Newt's family who are coming back from exploring the planet and the sign is just a pisstake.

Splicer
Oct 16, 2006

from hell's heart I cast at thee
🧙🐀🧹🌙🪄🐸

This I'll defend, it's absolutely the kind of thing I'd do for laughs if I was .5% of the population of the planet.

Xenomrph
Dec 9, 2005

AvP Nerd/Fanboy/Shill

sigher posted:

That's true.

lol, I never thought of that. I guess it's for people like Newt's family who are coming back from exploring the planet and the sign is just a pisstake.

Yeah it’s totally meant as a joke, the point of the sign is they don’t get any visitors.

Name Change
Oct 9, 2005

Lots of people drive in this movie.

I'll leave the math to you on why the marines in a Vietnam in Space movie seem poorly equipped and under-prepared for the job, I'm sure you'll come up with some more counter-intuitive nonsense contradicted by things characters are doing and saying.

Splicer
Oct 16, 2006

🧙🐀🧹🌙🪄🐸
If SMG genuinely doesn't understand the concept of jokes or irony then a whole lot of things suddenly make sense.

ruddiger
Jun 3, 2004

They show wheeled vehicles but they're either industrial vehicles for the mining colony itself or the marine's apc, there's no other established mining towns on the planet so the roads out of town would only lead to dig sites.

Of course if we're going to acknowledge that it's a mining town, then of course they'd get visitors all the time to export whatever it is they're mining and import off world necessities that aren't native to planet, like food. It's just that they wouldn't be arriving in town by truck, it would be by starship, so maybe the course the Nostromo took looked like this.

16-bit Butt-Head
Dec 25, 2014
Probation
Can't post for 4 days!
its a joke by the colonists and an attempt to make the mining colony feel and look like an actual town instead of a lone mining colony on a planet that is barely livable

feedmyleg
Dec 25, 2004
I always assumed it was a tongue-in-cheek gently caress You to the company wherever they come to visit.

YOLOsubmarine
Oct 19, 2004

When asked which Pokemon he evolved into, Kamara pauses.

"Motherfucking, what's that big dragon shit? That orange motherfucker. Charizard."

Sodomy Hussein posted:

Lots of people drive in this movie.

I'll leave the math to you on why the marines in a Vietnam in Space movie seem poorly equipped and under-prepared for the job.

American soldiers were extremely well equipped for the job of killing an absolutely shitload of people.

Basebf555
Feb 29, 2008

The greatest sensual pleasure there is is to know the desires of another!

Fun Shoe

Splicer posted:

If SMG genuinely doesn't understand the concept of jokes or irony then a whole lot of things suddenly make sense.

They told you a long time ago that they were a bot, you just didn't listen

SuperMechagodzilla
Jun 9, 2007

NEWT REBORN

Splicer posted:

If the sign is an ironic joke by the colonists, why did the colonists vandalize it with an additional ironic joke? Someone scrawled "HAVE A NICE DAY" on it.

The graffiti ties in thematically with the various catchphrases and stuff that the marines paint on their gear - which that brings us back to the question of why the marines' technology is stupid. Are they wearing bulletproof armor (against animals that don't use guns) ironically?

The simpler explanation is that the film presents a toyetic fantasy of work and warfare.

Xenomrph
Dec 9, 2005

AvP Nerd/Fanboy/Shill

YOLOsubmarine posted:

American soldiers were extremely well equipped for the job of killing an absolutely shitload of people.
The Marines are extremely well equipped anyway, Hudson has a whole speech in the directors cut where he describes how well equipped they are.

MrMojok
Jan 28, 2011

If the sign is an ironic joke by the colonists, why did the colonists vandalize it with an additional ironic joke? Someone scrawled "HAVE A NICE DAY" on it.

“Brody… SICK vandalism! That is a deliberate mutilation of a public service message!”

Xenomrph
Dec 9, 2005

AvP Nerd/Fanboy/Shill

It’s a further joke lmao, there are no nice days on LV-426, it’s a terraforming project in the rear end-end of space with perpetually lovely weather

ruddiger
Jun 3, 2004

how are you going to read the sign if the constantly lovely weather makes the sign unreadable

I’d ask who goes out into lovely weather just for a gag but then again

16-bit Butt-Head
Dec 25, 2014
Probation
Can't post for 4 days!
its a very boring planet

SuperMechagodzilla
Jun 9, 2007

NEWT REBORN

MrMojok posted:

“Brody… SICK vandalism! That is a deliberate mutilation of a public service message!”

Exactly: as with the ‘hopeful’ name of the town, the sign is totally sincere. The graffiti is then an ironic joke at the expense of whoever put up the sign. (The company? The government?).

So, you can redeem it by saying that the sign was installed by some dumb authority, and that the workers are cynics (like all the characters are). The lack of clarity on who actually made the sign is an issue, but oh well.

But then, you’ve got the big neon sign that reads “BAR”, in a town with three buildings. Now we have a second thing that only makes sense for, like, an everyday truck stop and not an extremely remote space colony. (And who calls a bar “BAR” anyways?)

keep punching joe
Jan 22, 2006

Die Satan!

16-bit Butt-Head posted:

its a very boring planet

Not that boring, it has a derelict spaceship from an advanced creator race filled with new and exciting ways to be genocided.

16-bit Butt-Head
Dec 25, 2014
Probation
Can't post for 4 days!

keep punching joe posted:

Not that boring, it has a derelict spaceship from an advanced creator race filled with new and exciting ways to be genocided.

thats a whole days drive

Xenomrph
Dec 9, 2005

AvP Nerd/Fanboy/Shill

ruddiger posted:

how are you going to read the sign if the constantly lovely weather makes the sign unreadable

I think that’s just another layer to the joke :v:

Splicer
Oct 16, 2006

🧙🐀🧹🌙🪄🐸

16-bit Butt-Head posted:

its a joke by the colonists and an attempt to make the mining colony feel and look like an actual town instead of a lone mining colony on a planet that is barely livable

The graffiti ties in thematically with the various catchphrases and stuff that the marines paint on their gear - which that brings us back to the question of why the marines' technology is stupid. Are they wearing bulletproof armor (against animals that don't use guns) ironically?

The simpler explanation is that the film presents a toyetic fantasy of work and warfare.
Some Adults: Let's put up a sign to make this place feel like an actual town
Other Adults: Let's put up a sign because this place sucks poo poo
Teens: Let's vandalise the sign because this place sucks poo poo

feedmyleg
Dec 25, 2004

But then, you’ve got the big neon sign that reads “BAR”, in a town with three buildings. Now we have a second thing that only makes sense for, like, an everyday truck stop and not an extremely remote space colony. (And who calls a bar “BAR” anyways?)

This is precisely what I'd do if I lived in a cramped terraforming colony pod.

ruddiger
Jun 3, 2004

The whole place is a pre-fab out of the box template for all Weyland Yutani offworld mining towns (one of the company suits refers to is as a shake and bake colony), all of that was probably designed to be as generic as possible. The sign on the outskirts of town was probably part of the initial CAD model they used for the town template and no one cared enough to change it.

16-bit Butt-Head
Dec 25, 2014
Probation
Can't post for 4 days!
its good to know where the bar is

The Notorious ZSB
Apr 19, 2004

I SAID WE'RE NOT GONNA BE FUCKING SUCK THIS YEAR!!!

If i were stuck at Hadley's Hope i would expect the bar to be prominently labeled cause I'd be there every day when my grind in the shithole that is LV426 is done. Just make it easy for me thanks.

I took the sign as yet another show of "care" from the company. It's all performative that they give a poo poo about the quality of life of anyone, so of course the folks there that got stuck with this poo poo job are gonna poke fun at its absurdity.

We put it up to make you feel at home as it stares into the wastes! thanks WY.

16-bit Butt-Head
Dec 25, 2014
Probation
Can't post for 4 days!
i personally would have went to the bar when the xenomorphs started abducting people because that really is the best time to get wasted on cheap alcohol

Name Change
Oct 9, 2005

YOLOsubmarine posted:

They were definitely well-equipped to mow down villagers wholesale, commit genocide, and poison everyone with defoliants that cause birth defects, not to win an actual war against an enemy fighting asymmetrically who didn't entertain a plan B.

Just ask the guys running foot patrols in the jungle, or any of the people involved in the hundreds of documented attempts to murder their commanding officers.

:can:

Splicer
Oct 16, 2006

🧙🐀🧹🌙🪄🐸

16-bit Butt-Head posted:

i personally would have went to the bar when the xenomorphs started abducting people because that really is the best time to get wasted on cheap alcohol
You absolutely know someone tried to kill their implanted chestburster by drowning it in vodka

Xenomrph
Dec 9, 2005

AvP Nerd/Fanboy/Shill

Splicer posted:

You absolutely know someone tried to kill their implanted chestburster by drowning it in vodka

Now I’m picturing a chestburster popping out and it’s totally shitfaced, just drunkenly slithering around in circles.

Splicer
Oct 16, 2006

🧙🐀🧹🌙🪄🐸

things aren't actually functional at all: troops wearing short sleeves to fight acid monsters
What acid monsters?

Splicer
Oct 16, 2006

🧙🐀🧹🌙🪄🐸

Xenomrph posted:

Now I’m picturing a chestburster popping out and it’s totally shitfaced, just drunkenly slithering around in circles.
It turns out they have acid for blood as an adaptation to our HCL-filled stomachs. If you dilute the acid with alcohol they get... less scary.

PeterCat
Apr 8, 2020

Believe women.

Sodomy Hussein posted:

They were definitely well-equipped to mow down villagers wholesale, commit genocide, and poison everyone with defoliants that cause birth defects, not to win an actual war against an enemy fighting asymmetrically who didn't entertain a plan B.

Just ask the guys running foot patrols in the jungle, or any of the people involved in the hundreds of documented attempts to murder their commanding officers.

:can:

Don't burn yourself there.

banned from Starbucks
Jul 18, 2004

The neon bar sign like the drinking bird or newts mardi gras beads and all the other stuff she fills her spiderhole with is just some tchotchke poo poo people brought from home to ward off the desire to kill themselves every 10min for working in that hellhole

FunkyAl
Mar 28, 2010

Your vitals soar.
Does the off world bar have a neon budweiser sign? The true test

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

PeterCat
Apr 8, 2020

Believe women.

banned from Starbucks posted:

The neon bar sign like the drinking bird or newts mardi gras beads and all the other stuff she fills her spiderhole with is just some tchotchke poo poo people brought from home to ward off the desire to kill themselves every 10min for working in that hellhole

This is true. Here's a video of a US FOB in Syria that was essentially abandoned overnight. Check out the amount of chintzy crap that people left behind.

I mean, seriously watch this video, it's like Hadley's Hope in the desert.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=zirwF-fb6EQ

PeterCat fucked around with this message at 00:07 on Apr 29, 2022