Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.
What hot hatch do you own?
This poll is closed.
Golf GTI / R / R32 196 0.02%
Impreza WRX / STi 133 0.01%
Mazdaspeed 3 92 0.01%
Veloster Turbo 20 0.00%
Focus ST 149 0.01%
Other Hot Hatch 230 0.02%
Elantra GT 1000001 99.92%
Total: 1000821 votes
[Edit Poll (moderators only)]

japtor
Oct 28, 2005
And I just discovered E5 and E10 gas, and that E15 may be getting a temporary push soon for dumb reasons.

Relating it back to the thread topic, my Kona N is getting like 5mpg less than my 2008 Cooper S, ~25 down to ~20. Might be within 2-3 on my current tank though!

Edit - new page, so uh, Kona is still fun and dumb. Suspension is still hard, but the middle setting is probably the best cause it just dampens out all the bounciness of the lowest setting. Hardest is just...I can't imagine using it on anything but a perfect road/track. Speakers suck. The non hatch-y part: just having a little more ground clearance is amazing, not a huge amount but basically enough to not have to give a poo poo about scraping on steep entrances/driveways, speed bumps, etc.

japtor fucked around with this message at 01:02 on Apr 20, 2022

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Dr. Lunchables
Dec 27, 2012

IRL DEBUFFED KOBOLD

I de-winterized the FiST on Friday and already burned a quarter tank of gas. Still fun to drive, still fun to shift. Stock engine go BRRRRRRR

trilobite terror
Oct 20, 2007
BUT MY LIVELIHOOD DEPENDS ON THE FORUMS!

Dr. Lunchables posted:

I de-winterized the FiST

what’s that mean?

I “de-winterized” my FiST by spraying the undercarriage, and will be changing the tires in a few days.

TehRedWheelbarrow
Mar 16, 2011

Fan of Britches
I put the summers on, naturally that evening it snowed.

Enos Cabell
Nov 3, 2004

I'm giving it one more week until I swap my summers on, but good lord am I ready.

Dr. Lunchables
Dec 27, 2012

IRL DEBUFFED KOBOLD

Ok Comboomer posted:

what’s that mean?

I “de-winterized” my FiST by spraying the undercarriage, and will be changing the tires in a few days.

Put the wheels on, dropped it off the jack stands, put the battery in, pulled the metal mesh from the intake and exhaust, removed the cover. Drove it for a half hour to rejoice the battery.

trilobite terror
Oct 20, 2007

Dr. Lunchables posted:

Put the wheels on, dropped it off the jack stands, put the battery in, pulled the metal mesh from the intake and exhaust, removed the cover. Drove it for a half hour to rejoice the battery.

lol, I was semi-joking about having dailied the FiST all winter. Aside from the standard fears of damage, salt exposure, and increased wear/etc the car really handled MA in the wintertime marvelously.

Dr. Lunchables
Dec 27, 2012

IRL DEBUFFED KOBOLD

I’ve got a mostly plastic Saturn vue with winter tires and 255,000 miles on it, so I figured I’d save the fiesta from the salt.

Enos Cabell
Nov 3, 2004

Finally hit summer tire temps, and I'm really digging the new wheels.

TehRedWheelbarrow
Mar 16, 2011

Fan of Britches
Very cool

Rolo
Nov 16, 2005

Hmm, what have we here?
Yeah everything about that is super awesome.

Enos Cabell
Nov 3, 2004

Thanks! I really want to lower it 1-2", but not willing to give up dcc for it and don't care enough yet to drop the ~$3k for dcc bilsteins

Shartweek
Feb 15, 2003

D O E S N O T E X I S T

Enos Cabell posted:

Thanks! I really want to lower it 1-2", but not willing to give up dcc for it and don't care enough yet to drop the ~$3k for dcc bilsteins

When I had my Mk7 I rocked Eibach (I wanna say sport, street?) springs which IIRC was about a 1 inch drop and did not affect DCC. Has no one yet come up with any decent devices to fool it when dropping lower than that?

Also white and bronze is a great combo, looking good.

prom candy
Dec 16, 2005

Only I may dance

Enos Cabell posted:

Finally hit summer tire temps, and I'm really digging the new wheels.

Nice!

I'd love to drop mine about an inch too but the roads are so poo poo here I'm not sure if it's wise

Isometric Bacon
Jul 24, 2004

Let's get naked!
Well it looks like there's only going to be 500 Corolla GR's released to Australia.

Called up my dealer who told me it's unlikely I'd get any stock allocation, due to the low numbers.

He got all cagey when I asked him to tell me where I was in the dealership 'queue' (I put my deposit down on the day of the official reveal) .

He also let slip that some staff members had deposits down too. Gee. I wonder who'll get the allocations?

Rolo
Nov 16, 2005

Hmm, what have we here?
Any word on how many are coming to the states? If the demand is frothing and they already designed and built the thing, what’s the harm in making lots more of it?

Isometric Bacon
Jul 24, 2004

Let's get naked!

Rolo posted:

Any word on how many are coming to the states? If the demand is frothing and they already designed and built the thing, what’s the harm in making lots more of it?

I think there's only 8600 world allocations, 3/4 of which is going to the US.

Probably since the US has no GR Yaris equivalent.

I should probably case that by saying these numbers are for this year - they'll ramp up production in following years, but I expect demand will be high for years yet.

You Am I
May 20, 2001

Me @ your poasting

Isometric Bacon posted:

Well it looks like there's only going to be 500 Corolla GR's released to Australia.

Called up my dealer who told me it's unlikely I'd get any stock allocation, due to the low numbers.

He got all cagey when I asked him to tell me where I was in the dealership 'queue' (I put my deposit down on the day of the official reveal) .

He also let slip that some staff members had deposits down too. Gee. I wonder who'll get the allocations?

drat, I'd love to have one of those Corollas, but I have just brought a place so I will have to hang on to the Focus a little bit longer

queef anxiety
Mar 4, 2009

yeah

Enos Cabell posted:

Second the eibachs, look great feel great.

Deviant
Sep 26, 2003

i've forgotten all of your names.

My mk7 r calls for 91 but most stations only have 89/93 :/

wolrah
May 8, 2006
what?

Deviant posted:

My mk7 r calls for 91 but most stations only have 89/93 :/

That's normal, 91 pretty much only exists in the western US where they don't get 93 for reasons. It's rare to see both available in the same area. An OEM isn't going to target a fuel that isn't even sold in a significant part of the market.

Enos Cabell
Nov 3, 2004

queef anxiety posted:

Coolnezzz posted:

When I had my Mk7 I rocked Eibach (I wanna say sport, street?) springs which IIRC was about a 1 inch drop and did not affect DCC. Has no one yet come up with any decent devices to fool it when dropping lower than that?

Thanks! I'll look into those

Wroughtirony
May 14, 2007

I (rather desperately) need new shocks for my 2016 FiST. Terrible Robot can hook me up, but he's been really busy lately with work so I figured I'd ask you fine goons for suggestions on what to buy. It's my daily driver and I don't take it to the track, just thrash every speedbump in the North Atlanta suburbs in the course of my pet sitting duties.

Dr. Lunchables
Dec 27, 2012

IRL DEBUFFED KOBOLD

I drive Michigan roads with Bilstein B6s and still have all my teeth. Doesn’t mess with the ride height at all. That’s my recommendation

trilobite terror
Oct 20, 2007

Dr. Lunchables posted:

I drive Michigan roads with Bilstein B6s and still have all my teeth. Doesn’t mess with the ride height at all. That’s my recommendation

These are gonna be what I put on my 2015 eventually.

prom candy
Dec 16, 2005

Only I may dance

queef anxiety posted:

Is that the PRO-KIT springs? How much do they affect ride quality? I guess I kinda want to have my cake and eat it too because when I was in my Civic Si I felt the ride was too harsh a lot of the time but now in my GTI I wish I felt a bit more planted on turns like the Si did. I'm in southern ontario so the roads are dog poo poo.

queef anxiety
Mar 4, 2009

yeah

prom candy posted:

Is that the PRO-KIT springs? How much do they affect ride quality? I guess I kinda want to have my cake and eat it too because when I was in my Civic Si I felt the ride was too harsh a lot of the time but now in my GTI I wish I felt a bit more planted on turns like the Si did. I'm in southern ontario so the roads are dog poo poo.

Pro kit, the sports ones are lower and harsher. Ive been using them for a while now and they feel good, solid on the corners with comfort as close to stock as I can imagine. Dcc seems fine too. The drop is pretty tame compared to h&r or similar. For a daily id say they're perfect.

Should be plenty reviews out there as they're a popular kit and budget friendly too.

prom candy
Dec 16, 2005

Only I may dance

queef anxiety posted:

Pro kit, the sports ones are lower and harsher. Ive been using them for a while now and they feel good, solid on the corners with comfort as close to stock as I can imagine. Dcc seems fine too. The drop is pretty tame compared to h&r or similar. For a daily id say they're perfect.

Should be plenty reviews out there as they're a popular kit and budget friendly too.

Thanks. I was thinking about getting the anti roll bars too but I'll do some investigating first. This is a dumb question but will my normal mechanic be able to do these kinds of installs for me or do I need to find some kind of custom shop? I sure as poo poo can't do it myself

Oddhair
Mar 21, 2004

New tires for the GTI, first summer tires I've ever bought living my entire adult life in Houston/Austin it's been all-seasons forever. I can't really tell or anything, and I know the appearance of the tire doesn't matter much but don't summer tires just look better than all-seasons?

Only registered members can see post attachments!

MunchE
Sep 7, 2000

Oddhair posted:

New tires for the GTI, first summer tires I've ever bought living my entire adult life in Houston/Austin it's been all-seasons forever. I can't really tell or anything, and I know the appearance of the tire doesn't matter much but don't summer tires just look better than all-seasons?

Summer tires are how you can tell the people who aren't loving around

queef anxiety
Mar 4, 2009

yeah

prom candy posted:

Thanks. I was thinking about getting the anti roll bars too but I'll do some investigating first. This is a dumb question but will my normal mechanic be able to do these kinds of installs for me or do I need to find some kind of custom shop? I sure as poo poo can't do it myself

Most capable mechanics should be able to fit them, even better if you visit a euro focused shop. They're a bit of a pain to install on the mk7, expect to be charged 3 hours for fit and alignment.

Elephanthead
Sep 11, 2008

Toilet Rascal

MunchE posted:

also the people that are going to slide backwards into you the first day it snows.

KakerMix
Apr 8, 2004

8.2 M.P.G.
:byetankie:

MunchE posted:

Same thing about snow tires tbh

Rolo
Nov 16, 2005

Hmm, what have we here?

Elephanthead posted:

also the people that are going to slide backwards into you the first day it snows.

This became less of a problem in my state over the last few decades.

japtor
Oct 28, 2005

Elephanthead posted:

Not a problem in Southern California :smug:...unless you go to the various nearby enough activities where you might have to deal with snow.

Ran into that a little bit when going to Mammoth a few weeks ago, trying to beat a storm into town. Luckily wasn't too much snow covered road yet when I got there and was able to get to the hotel ok enough. Bought some chains earlier, but didn't want to use them cause the manual said to not use chains with the stock wheel/tire size. Not sure if super thin sets or tire socks might work ok.

Dr. Lunchables
Dec 27, 2012

IRL DEBUFFED KOBOLD

Took a coworker out on lunch break with the FiST and burned tires all the way through second and the start of third. Felt pretty good. It’s a good car.

trilobite terror
Oct 20, 2007

Ok Comboomer posted:

My Fiesta ST feels like it was put together by chimpanzees and the interior is like 2 decades 2 cheap, but it’s also the funnest car in all the world and I’m still in the honeymoon phase with mine almost a year into ownership

TehRedWheelbarrow
Mar 16, 2011

Fan of Britches
according to my insurance I have owned my FiST for 5 years. I have had 3 offers to buy it for more than I paid for it new.

yeah I aint selling my rocket go cart-o-fun :colbert:

Deviant
Sep 26, 2003

i've forgotten all of your names.

dealers keep cold-call offering me over-value for my mk7 golf R

"ok sure but what do you have on the lot?"

"uhhhh"

"well i'm not trading you a golf R and driving away in something LESS fun, so talk to me when you have something."

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Oddhair
Mar 21, 2004

MunchE posted:

Can confirm I have not been able to chirp the tires at all even trying to move quickly. My rear tires have way too much tread to replace, though, so for now it's only the drive wheels. Still a pretty fun car though MightyCarMods' Golf R videos have me really wanting one.