Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Chadzok
Apr 25, 2002

Betting that Mike's loyalty to Gus is going to come from him changing tune and defending Nacho's papi from the Salamancas in some major way.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

DOPE FIEND KILLA G
Jun 4, 2011

Chadzok posted:

Betting that Mike's loyalty to Gus is going to come from him changing tune and defending Nacho's papi from the Salamancas in some major way.

yeah i think theres a decent chance of this

Chadzok
Apr 25, 2002

The seething hatred that Nacho unleashed on them before he died; Gus saw that and knew that he truly hosed up. He lost a bro.

Jerusalem
May 20, 2004

Would you be my new best friends?

Chadzok posted:

The seething hatred that Nacho unleashed on them before he died; Gus saw that and knew that he truly hosed up. He lost a bro.

"This is a man.... who would have cleaned the ovens to my satisfaction on the first attempt.... :stwoon:"

skipmyseashells
Nov 14, 2020
something has to change for Gus to think fear is a bad motivator cause so far it seems to be the best thing for him without a close second

christmas boots
Oct 15, 2012

To these sing-alongs 🎤of siren 🧜🏻‍♀️songs
To oohs😮 to ahhs😱 to 👏big👏applause👏
With all of my 😡anger I scream🤬 and shout📢
🇺🇸America🦅, I love you 🥰but you're freaking 💦me 😳out
Biscuit Hider
I think it may just be that Gus told Walt he doesn't believe it's a good motivator because he didn't think it was (for Walt) and decided that's what Walt needed him to say. He does try it later

moist turtleneck
Jul 17, 2003

Represent.

Dinosaur Gum
Gus didn't get Nacho to do any of that stuff last episode, that was all Mike

Civilized Fishbot
Apr 3, 2011

skipmyseashells posted:

something has to change for Gus to think fear is a bad motivator cause so far it seems to be the best thing for him without a close second

He didn't really decide fear is a bad motivator.

A few episodes before giving that line, he murders Victor in front of Jesse and Walt in order to terrify them (just like he kills Arturo right in front of Nacho).

A few episodes afterward, he gives Walt the "I will kill your wife, I will kill your son, I will kill your infant daughter" speech (just like he has Victor visit Nacho's dad).

christmas boots posted:

I think it may just be that Gus told Walt he doesn't believe it's a good motivator because he didn't think it was (for Walt) and decided that's what Walt needed him to say. He does try it later

He doesn't say it to Walt, he says it to Mike.

[quote]
Mike:
If you want this guy to produce again, why not just tell him? You're the only thing that stands between him and an axe to the head.

Gus:
I do not believe fear to be an effective motivator. I want investment. For now, I'm simply interested in time frame. He will live for the foreseeable future, yes?
[\quote]

But I think you're right that we have to understand Gus's refusal to scare Walt into production as totally grounded in the specific case of how Gus thinks Walt might react to learning the cousins are after him. Maybe Walt calls the cops, or tries to flee with his family, or collaborates with Gus until the cousins are no longer a threat and then turns on Gus. Gus doesn't want to risk any of those scenarios so he thinks appealing to Walt's greed and insecurity is a safer bet.

Civilized Fishbot fucked around with this message at 22:24 on Apr 28, 2022

christmas boots
Oct 15, 2012

Biscuit Hider
Tbh I don't think Gus would kill a baby. Like not because of a moral thing, I just don't think he'd bother.

Gaius Marius
Oct 9, 2012

He would if the last name Salmenaca

Takes No Damage
Nov 20, 2004

The most merciful thing in the world, I think, is the inability of the human mind to correlate all its contents. We live on a placid island of ignorance in the midst of black seas of infinity, and it was not meant that we should voyage far.

Grimey Drawer

christmas boots posted:

I WILL KEEL YOUR INFANT DAAUTER

A nice bit of symbolism from the 2nd(?) episode: Gus' guys sneak in wearing clean suits and drill into Nacho's safe with proper safecracking gear, only for the cartel to come in behind them and just lay a giant angle grinder on the new safe for an hour until the door is just gone.

christmas boots
Oct 15, 2012

Biscuit Hider

Gaius Marius posted:

He would if the last name Salmenaca

Yeah, lol I almost went back and made an edit because he totally would

Nep-Nep
May 15, 2004

Just one more thing!
At least in Walt's case fear was an extremely ineffective motivator since it just lead Walt to believe he'd inevitably be killed by Gus if he didn't take him out first.

christmas boots
Oct 15, 2012

Biscuit Hider

Nep-Nep posted:

At least in Walt's case fear was an extremely ineffective motivator since it just lead Walt to believe he'd inevitably be killed by Gus if he didn't take him out first.

There really isn't a good way to manage someone like Walt. He should have trusted his instincts and ignored Gale

Gaius Marius
Oct 9, 2012

He should've given him a sad handjob

Nep-Nep
May 15, 2004

Just one more thing!

christmas boots posted:

There really isn't a good way to manage someone like Walt. He should have trusted his instincts and ignored Gale

Gus probably dies sooner since the whole plan was still to manufacture conflict between himself and the cartel to lead to the compromise that lets him get close enough to kill Eladio, and I don't think Gale would have had as much success as Jesse at getting them out of there.

Maybe Gus should've just stuck to the chicken.

Zulily Zoetrope
Jun 1, 2011

Muldoon

moist turtleneck posted:

Gus didn't get Nacho to do any of that stuff last episode, that was all Mike

Yeah, that is actually a good point. Gus got everything he wanted because Nacho trusted Mike enough to see things through. I hope there's more to it than that, though, I still wanna see Gus get burned even if I know he's gonna be fine by the time he invites Hurricane Walt into his business.

Civilized Fishbot posted:

A few episodes before giving that line, he murders Victor in front of Jesse and Walt in order to terrify them (just like he kills Arturo right in front of Nacho).

Is there any reason to think that was Gus' actual intention? That's Walt's interpretation of events, which rarely lines up with the truth.

I always took it as a rare flash of temperament; Gus was fuckin pissed and he couldn't take it out on Walt or Jesse, and here comes Victor, fuckin up an expensive cook and acting too big for his britches right when Gus is in a real murdering mood.

Plus I will continue to maintain that Gus was genuinely attracted to, if not in an actual relationship with, Gale, and he had just learned that the one person he actually cared about had just been murdered.

christmas boots
Oct 15, 2012

Biscuit Hider
I think he killed Victor because he saw the episode where Nacho dies and thought "boy that victor is a smug little prick I hope I get to kill him one day"

Last Chance
Dec 31, 2004

He killed victor because he was seen at the crime scene where Gale was killed. He specifically killed him in front of Walt and Jesse to send them a message that he is not loving around.

stev
Jan 22, 2013

Please be excited.

Nah he killed him because he was cooking while committing the heinous crime of not being Walter White or Jesse.

lurker2006
Jul 30, 2019

Zulily Zoetrope posted:

Plus I will continue to maintain that Gus was genuinely attracted to, if not in an actual relationship with, Gale, and he had just learned that the one person he actually cared about had just been murdered.
Gale seems like too much of a neckbeard for Gus's proclivities, I could maybe see him having a protective instinct for Gale like one of his civilian employees.

Chadzok
Apr 25, 2002

Last Chance posted:

He killed victor because he was seen at the crime scene where Gale was killed. He specifically killed him in front of Walt and Jesse to send them a message that he is not loving around.

It's this.
There was artists renditions of him at the cop station. Too risky for such a big operation to keep him alive.

Putting the fear of Gus into Walt and Jesse was an added bonus.

Trust me, I've run gigantic underground meth labs before.

Chadzok fucked around with this message at 00:19 on Apr 29, 2022

Civilized Fishbot
Apr 3, 2011

Zulily Zoetrope posted:

Is there any reason to think that was Gus' actual intention? That's Walt's interpretation of events, which rarely lines up with the truth.

It's also Jesse's interpretation, who turns out to have a pretty good handle on how Gus thinks.

Killing Victor was a matter of security because he was now a murder suspect. Killing Victor in front of Walt and Jesse like that was fear-as-motivator.

Nuebot
Feb 18, 2013

The developer of Brigador is a secret chud, don't give him money
In retrospect, powerful people setting themselves ablaze because of petty personal grudges is a pretty good thesis for this whole universe.

NowonSA
Jul 19, 2013

I am the sexiest poster in the world!
There's also the context about how the particular fear they're discussing in that scene wouldn't be a good motivator. The axe hanging over his head is from the cousins, as in a fear of the Cartel coming in and icing Walt's rear end. I can see how that wouldn't be an ideal motivator for Walt in Gus' eyes, and it also makes him more unpredictable and harder to control in general. If he thinks he can be killed by the cartel at any moment, what's stopping him from taking his family and his money and running, especially if he's more afraid of the cartel than he is of Gus (since Gus had been in 100% cool boss mode up to that point).

Now, fear of Gus himself is a whole different situation. Still the downsides of unpredictability, but I bet in Gus' mind those weekly quotas are getting hit every time in a way that Walt panicking about the Cartel having it out for him probably doesn't.

It's also important that Walt's coming across as slightly edgier Gale until he kills Gus' drug dealers. Once that happens Gus wants to wash his hands of Walt ASAP, but until then he certainly appeared to be a useful tool to Gus and had a proven track record of being able to be manipulated by Gus into doing the cooking work that he wants him to do.

The shame of it all is that if Walt had been let in on Gus' plans more when they met to talk about how Walt put together Gus' plan with Hank and the cousins, I think they could've had a nice team-up going that would've been terrible for the show but would've made my "Walt hangs out with Don Eladio poolside in the 'Salud' episode" dreams come true. Maybe Walt opens up about how he brought in Jesse because he needed to pay Jesse to make sure he didn't sue his brother in law, maybe Gus in turn lays down the law properly and the kid doesn't get killed to really piss Jesse off, and everything works out good for at least some of the evil characters on the show.

On reflecting about BB, I feel like the show certainly wants us to think Gus had the kid killed (and that's probably the intent of the writers), but that just feels like such an extreme and risky step to take. I can also guarantee you that when Mike's giving the no half measures speech to Walt, he has no idea a kid's about to be killed because no way he lets that fly. By the time he's in Breaking Bad he's compromised himself enough that he'll clean up all sorts of horrible stuff after the fact, but I'm pretty drat sure he'd be taking steps to keep kids from being killed if he knows they're in danger. Now he does want Walt to give up on Jesse during half measure, but he doesn't know somethings about to go down that'll really set Jesse off.

I think the drug dealers just didn't like being called into their boss' office like that, felt they were untouchable, and iced the kid. Gus runs a drat smooth operation, but I'm sure mistakes still happen or orders aren't followed just the way the boss wants. Gus could've ordered a hit on the kid and left Mike out of the loop on it, but again it just seems like way too extreme of a step to take. If anything, this seems like the perfect time for an old fashioned kidnapping with some effort put in to create a believable cover story for Jesse to eat up. Gus bought a drat hangar to house the people he needed to build the Superlab, he could surely rig up a simple jail cell to keep the kid in for at least awhile.

Amyway, long story short BB and BCS are both awesome because their stories provide lots of fodder for my overactive brain.

Golden Bee
Dec 24, 2009

I came here to chew bubblegum and quote 'They Live', and I'm... at an impasse.
Chuck was a dick. But he was absolutely right about the monkey with a machine gun thing, I don’t think there’s a fictional character who misuses the law as much as Jimmy McGill.

Gaius Marius
Oct 9, 2012

Dumbass

Gaius Marius
Oct 9, 2012

Chuck was the monkey with a machine gun. Jimmy is a loving hero

BabyRyoga
May 21, 2001

THUNDERDOME LOSER 2021

Golden Bee posted:

Chuck was a dick. But he was absolutely right about the monkey with a machine gun thing, I don’t think there’s a fictional character who misuses the law as much as Jimmy McGill.

Typically (but not exclusively) out of necessity to succeed and overcome the obstacles in front of him, though. I feel like in this season we are seeing a lot of reluctance from Jimmy, although it is unclear if the reason for his second guessing is unwillingness to see Kim dragged into it all (she is dragging herself, obv) or just general morality questions.

If Chuck had been supportive, the events of the timeline would be completely different. In any timeline, he would likely have very little opinion on ethics.

Sir Mat of Dickie
Jul 19, 2012

"There is no solitude greater than that of the samurai unless it be that of a tiger in the jungle... perhaps..."
Even in the first episode, Jimmy can't resist becoming part of a grift when he sees one. I agree with the readings about his having a need for or addiction to risk-taking and deception. I don't think that means "Saul Goodman" was inevitable, but it's hard to imagine Jimmy staying out of trouble even when comfortably pursuing elder law.

R. Guyovich
Dec 25, 1991

Zulily Zoetrope posted:

I could definitely see a story where Gus comes to realize how much of an asset Nacho could have been if he had just treated him with a fraction of the respect he gives Mike, and where the Salamancas try to retaliate against a dead man by going after Papi. I don't see quite how it could be the big catalyst that makes Gus smarten up, but he might definitely have to burn some resources bodyguarding a decent man who wants nothing to do with any cartel goons.

this is not a bad guess actually. gus sticking to his word and ensuring no harm comes to nacho's dad would go a long way in making mike loya—

...i was a page behind and this has already been said multiple times.

Golden Bee
Dec 24, 2009

I came here to chew bubblegum and quote 'They Live', and I'm... at an impasse.
Hurting family members for leverage is much less effective when the person you’re leveraging is dead.

Oolb
Nov 18, 2019
Nacho's Dad basically killed Nacho. He's like just go to the police like he's never ever ever seen a gangster film.

also I swear Nacho's accent changed in his final speech

Takes No Damage
Nov 20, 2004

The most merciful thing in the world, I think, is the inability of the human mind to correlate all its contents. We live on a placid island of ignorance in the midst of black seas of infinity, and it was not meant that we should voyage far.

Grimey Drawer

Golden Bee posted:

Hurting family members for leverage is much less effective when the person you’re leveraging is dead.

I'll be shocked if we ever see or hear from his dad again. They had their goodbye conversation, Nacho is dead, narratively that storyline is all tied up.

Vicks
Aug 13, 2014

Oolb posted:

Nacho's Dad basically killed Nacho. He's like just go to the police like he's never ever ever seen a gangster film.

also I swear Nacho's accent changed in his final speech

I don't think that's a very kind interpretation of Nacho's dad. No doubt Papa Varga is aware of how dangerous the cartel is, but he's still willing to turn down Hector Salamanca to his face in season 3 because he won't compromise on his values. That's also why he refuses to run away with Nacho in season 5, and tells Nacho to turn himself in. He knows he risks death, but won't let himself or his son lie to themselves.

Tiberius Christ
Mar 4, 2009

Absolutely, I think it was last season he wrote off his poor son when he told him to get out of his house, he knew how bad it was going to get

Rupert Buttermilk
Apr 15, 2007

🚣RowboatMan: ❄️Freezing time🕰️ is an old P.I. 🥧trick...

Because Hector is, in fact, a twisted gently caress, it's entirely within the realm of possibility that he orders something done to his Nacho's dad. Would it ever make a difference? No. Does Hector suck real bad? Yes.

Mercury Hat
May 28, 2006

SharkTales!
Woo-oo!

BabyRyoga posted:

Typically (but not exclusively) out of necessity to succeed and overcome the obstacles in front of him, though. I feel like in this season we are seeing a lot of reluctance from Jimmy, although it is unclear if the reason for his second guessing is unwillingness to see Kim dragged into it all (she is dragging herself, obv) or just general morality questions.

If Chuck had been supportive, the events of the timeline would be completely different. In any timeline, he would likely have very little opinion on ethics.

Jimmy's been showing a heck of a lot of reluctance to Kim's scheming and I think it's at least somewhat because he feels Kim can't weather the blowback as well as he could. He's beaten disbarment, he's walked out of the desert alive, he could turn to some other hustle or side gig if he needed to, but in his eyes Kim losing her license would cost her everything she's ever worked for. In the framing of the show, law is Kim's life, it's what occupies almost all of her time: talking about cases, talking with clients, researching cases, etc. Jimmy wants a cornerstone of their relationship to be a joint practice, even, law is a major part of what holds the two together for him.

Rolled into that is my interpretation for why he's going along with it: he's still so afraid of losing Kim. He had a near-total breakdown the second he thought she was ending their relationship a few seasons back. Yeah he wants to do it, he enjoys the risk, but there's little moments where you can tell if it was him on his own he might've backed off and reevaluated the situation. He loves being with her, he loves her, and he's putting aside a little too much (in my opinion) of his own comfort to keep her happy and engaged.

It's a realistic kind of friction in relationships that starts off small and potentially blows up into a huge monster and I am here for it.

drunken officeparty
Aug 23, 2006

Taskmaster on youtube just put up the full episodes of Kurgenbongerbefalagon. The Norway one.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

By popular demand
Jul 17, 2007

IT *BZZT* WASP ME--
IT WASP ME ALL *BZZT* ALONG!

The big tragedy in Jimmy's character is how much he wants to be a positive work relationship, first with his brother and then with his wife. And it keeps going completely wrong.
Heck, he even goes above and beyond with both Jessy and Walt and probably many other clients.
Jimmy's need to be a part of people's lives and schemes keeps burning him again and again, it could have been a great character trait if he could stop himself from slipping.