Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Harminoff
Oct 24, 2005

👽
Couple questions:

Any way to stream my Xbox series x to the deck?

Does browser support windows open side by side?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

MarcusSA
Sep 23, 2007

Man USB-C is wild.

I have an 85W charger next to my bed that I use / used to charge literally every device (MacBook/iPad/Aya Neo/GPD win max) but if I try and use it with my Deck it actually sucks power from the deck lol.

It’s not a no name brick either.

I swapped it for a 65W one I had with no issues now.

Macichne Leainig
Jul 26, 2012

by VG
I must admit I haven't even plugged in my official Deck charger. I've reappropriated my Thinkpad charger for both of those devices on my desk :v:

KakerMix
Apr 8, 2004

8.2 M.P.G.
:byetankie:
Thought that was the aggressive battery management on the Deck's behalf? As in, intentional to preserve the batter itself.

Dramicus
Mar 26, 2010
Grimey Drawer

MarcusSA posted:

Man USB-C is wild.

I have an 85W charger next to my bed that I use / used to charge literally every device (MacBook/iPad/Aya Neo/GPD win max) but if I try and use it with my Deck it actually sucks power from the deck lol.

Does it have multiple inputs? I have a brick that has one port that is input only and two other ports that are output only.

MarcusSA
Sep 23, 2007

Dramicus posted:

Does it have multiple inputs? I have a brick that has one port that is input only and two other ports that are output only.

Na its a single slot one from Monoprice.

The deck is the only device that has had issues with it and I can't imagine its an 85W issue but I don't have another high power charger to try it with to see.

veni veni veni
Jun 5, 2005

Quantum of Phallus posted:

Was it glued in? because if so, you have more patience than I ever will

Nah it’s an older model just a few screws

Pirate Jet
May 2, 2010
Got my RMA back after two weeks, but now the new one's lost the fan lottery. :negative:

v1ld
Apr 16, 2012

MarcusSA posted:

Man USB-C is wild.

You should file a Deck bug report. USB PD has source/sink negotiation built in and that's making the wrong selection.

I used to see this a few years ago but not so much these days, but it was usually when both ends could be a legit sink (laptop - phone, battery - laptop). It's weird you're seeing when one end is a charger which can't really be a sink you would think.

minusX
Jun 16, 2007

Say something hideous and horrible jumps out at you. Something so disgusting that it simply must die.
Ah! Oh!..So tacky! I can't...look...directly at it!

MarcusSA posted:

Man USB-C is wild.

Try switching the cable around, and plugging in the battery before the deck. USB C ports can be setup to give power, take power, or both, and the last one is sometimes not fun.

MarcusSA
Sep 23, 2007

v1ld posted:

You should file a Deck bug report.

Ok so where are people actually doing this? I filled out a bug post on the steam deck forums for my other bug but I’m not sure if that’s even the right place?

MarcusSA
Sep 23, 2007

minusX posted:

Try switching the cable around, and plugging in the battery before the deck. USB C ports can be setup to give power, take power, or both, and the last one is sometimes not fun.

Yeah I didn’t get a chance last night because it was late and I just wanted to switch it and be done but I’ll play with it later today and see if it was just a fluke or a real issue.

The 7th Guest
Dec 17, 2003

Antigravitas posted:

The hang you are describing sounds like a hardware fault. There have been reports (and I've been personally affected by it) that some AMD silicon fails when it is driven as the spec allows, while on Windows certain features just aren't used at all. Like ATS: https://lore.kernel.org/lkml/20220301201344.18191-18-sashal@kernel.org/

Generally, this is an AMD QC problem and one that has plagued them for years now. A certain percentage of their silicon leaves the factory at the edge of instability, which they try to paper over in software. As soon as an application comes along that hits just the right buttons, the hardware locks up.

The problem has gotten less severe in recent times afaik, but still. At one retailer that makes their return numbers public, the AMD RX 5600 reached a staggering rate of 50% RMA…
that's helpful to know! I expect I will be RMAing this just so I don't have to deal with the irritation of losing game progress from a crash, i just won't be doing it until i get back so i can play some games while i'm on break. i'll just stick to the games that run fine in the meantime, also test some games to see how they perform on these super-low settings so i can maybe put together a 'ideal low-power games' list for battery savers

Kaboobi
Jan 5, 2005

SHAKE IT BABY!
SALT THAT LADY!

Kaboobi posted:

As a heads up, I guess there's an issue with the battery controller on some/all devices I ran into yesterday.
Basically, after I unplugged it, it still said it was charging and the little white LED on the top remained lit, even though it wasn't plugged in.
And when I plugged it in, it didn't charge.
A restart/shutdown didn't fix it, and it still thought it was charging.
I held the power down for 30 seconds or so and it did a hard reboot, and the LED went off and it thought it was fixed! Until I tried to charge it again, and then it wouldn't detect the Steam Deck charger or any of the other half dozen USB-C chargers I have kicking around.

Did a little googling and found this to put the device into Shipping Mode, which basically turns the battery controller off and turns it into a deep hibernation mode, then after 30 seconds I turned it back on again and it worked:
Shut down the Deck. Hold the volume up button and press the power button, it'll boot up to the selection screen, go to the lower right "Setup Utility".
Once there go down to Power
First option there is "Battery storage mode" select and hit enter.
A prompt will come up explaining what it's doing (going into a deep sleep mode and you'll need to hold the power button for 5 seconds to turn it back on again)

Apparently there's no way to get into this mode if your device is TOTALLY dead and you'll have to RMA it so...be careful? There's a whole bunch of posts on reddit and other places about it. I have no idea what caused/triggered it.

https://www.reddit.com/r/SteamDeck/comments/t8x3ue/psa_valves_solution_for_no_charging_ghost/

Looks like they just added a button combo thing in the OS to fix this lol

https://store.steampowered.com/news/app/1675200/view/3216142491801797532

"Added button combo: hold "..." + "Volume Down" to reset PD contract in the cases where Steam Deck gets stuck due to an incompatible Type-C device"

MarcusSA
Sep 23, 2007

Death Stranding Directors cut runs and looks amazing!

Small bug though if you put the game to sleep when you come back from sleep and open the map none of the buttons work and you have to force close the game. The right stick still works though which is weird.

Besides that 10/10

ThermoPhysical
Dec 26, 2007

Kaboobi posted:

As a heads up, I guess there's an issue with the battery controller on some/all devices I ran into yesterday.
Basically, after I unplugged it, it still said it was charging and the little white LED on the top remained lit, even though it wasn't plugged in.
And when I plugged it in, it didn't charge.
A restart/shutdown didn't fix it, and it still thought it was charging.
I held the power down for 30 seconds or so and it did a hard reboot, and the LED went off and it thought it was fixed! Until I tried to charge it again, and then it wouldn't detect the Steam Deck charger or any of the other half dozen USB-C chargers I have kicking around.

Did a little googling and found this to put the device into Shipping Mode, which basically turns the battery controller off and turns it into a deep hibernation mode, then after 30 seconds I turned it back on again and it worked:
Shut down the Deck. Hold the volume up button and press the power button, it'll boot up to the selection screen, go to the lower right "Setup Utility".
Once there go down to Power
First option there is "Battery storage mode" select and hit enter.
A prompt will come up explaining what it's doing (going into a deep sleep mode and you'll need to hold the power button for 5 seconds to turn it back on again)

Apparently there's no way to get into this mode if your device is TOTALLY dead and you'll have to RMA it so...be careful? There's a whole bunch of posts on reddit and other places about it. I have no idea what caused/triggered it.

https://www.reddit.com/r/SteamDeck/comments/t8x3ue/psa_valves_solution_for_no_charging_ghost/

It seems that a few people have tried this and had to RMA their device as it stopped turning on. I'd be wary at trying this.

It looks like the beta fixes the issue of ghost charging though?

Kaboobi
Jan 5, 2005

SHAKE IT BABY!
SALT THAT LADY!

ThermoPhysical posted:

It seems that a few people have tried this and had to RMA their device as it stopped turning on. I'd be wary at trying this.

It looks like the beta fixes the issue of ghost charging though?

What do you mean? My device wasn't working and wasn't charging at all? What was I supposed to do otherwise? Let the battery run out and turn it into an unchargeable brick?

kaffo
Jun 20, 2017

If it's broken, it's probably my fault

MarcusSA posted:

Death Stranding Directors cut runs and looks amazing!

Small bug though if you put the game to sleep when you come back from sleep and open the map none of the buttons work and you have to force close the game. The right stick still works though which is weird.

Besides that 10/10
Have you tried poking the touch screen to see if that gets focus back on the game?
It kinda sounds like a more deep seated issue, but I found for some apps when they lost focus a quick finger stab fixed it

Cabbages and VHS
Aug 25, 2004

Listen, I've been around a bit, you know, and I thought I'd seen some creepy things go on in the movie business, but I really have to say this is the most disgusting thing that's ever happened to me.
One of my friends has his deck. Honestly, it's heavier than I was hoping, and the length of time I've had to wait has caused me to just get this setup working for $30 (given that I already had the phone)

My primary use case isn't being on the go (where do I go?!!?!!?), but, rather, playing my steam library from the couch late at night without having to use a PC, or turn on the projector etc. So, 95% of the time I want to use this, I will be on the same 5g network as my primary gaming PC anyway.

Playing Horizon Zero Dawn through this, the lag is not noticable and I have to believe it looks better than it would on the deck given that the rendering is happening on a 5900x + 3090 machine.

This does all that, and, yeah, it's not a full loving computer I can do a bunch of other poo poo with but the big pro to that is it's not another loving full PC I have to configure etc, and if I am just going to use the deck in pure deck OS mode.... I think I like my smartphone setup better? Hell, I can play on a 10" screen if I want, just need a $200 android phablet.

We'll see how I react when I actually get the email, of course.

ThermoPhysical
Dec 26, 2007

Kaboobi posted:

What do you mean? My device wasn't working and wasn't charging at all? What was I supposed to do otherwise? Let the battery run out and turn it into an unchargeable brick?

I mean that two people on Reddit said they tried this and it bricked their machines as it won't turn on at all now. It seems that this fix has a chance of also bricking the machine as well.

MarcusSA
Sep 23, 2007

kaffo posted:

Have you tried poking the touch screen to see if that gets focus back on the game?
It kinda sounds like a more deep seated issue, but I found for some apps when they lost focus a quick finger stab fixed it

I don’t think I did! I’ll try that when I get home from getting my wisdom teeth pulled.

I did play a good hour + in bed and it was pretty drat comfortable.

Gonna get some couch gaming in today.

grieving for Gandalf
Apr 22, 2008

okay, I have hit one snag with Windows: the USB-C hub I'm using isn't passing through power to the Deck when I'm running Windows, but works fine on SteamOS. the USB drivers seem up to date, does anyone have an idea what the matter could be?

Ursine Catastrophe
Nov 9, 2009

It's a lovely morning in the void and you are a horrible lady-in-waiting.

don't ask how i know

Dinosaur Gum

ThermoPhysical posted:

I mean that two people on Reddit said they tried this and it bricked their machines as it won't turn on at all now. It seems that this fix has a chance of also bricking the machine as well.

It worked fine for me much earlier, fwiw. Also iirc it has big warning signs of "do not do this if you have more than 50% battery life for the love of god" so I'd be curious if redditors read warnings

chainchompz
Jul 15, 2021

bark bark
I forget if it's been said already but what kind of playtime are folks getting on their decks? I get 3~4hrs between charges and that seems kinda low to me. I know if I adjust screen brightness and such I can boost that.

The 7th Guest
Dec 17, 2003

you can extend battery life by enforcing the FPS limiter in the performance settings. because of my borked Deck, I minimize the maximum TDP in the performance settings to 3 watts, which gets me about 5-6hrs, buuuut obviously that impacts performance. there's also a new variable half shading option that apparently can improve battery life at the cost of performance as well. so it just depends on how much you want to compromise your experience (if you're playing 2D games though, you probably won't see much of a difference compared to, like, Death Stranding)

Dramicus
Mar 26, 2010
Grimey Drawer

The 7th Guest posted:

that's helpful to know! I expect I will be RMAing this just so I don't have to deal with the irritation of losing game progress from a crash, i just won't be doing it until i get back so i can play some games while i'm on break. i'll just stick to the games that run fine in the meantime, also test some games to see how they perform on these super-low settings so i can maybe put together a 'ideal low-power games' list for battery savers

If it is this kind of issue, you should RMA, because I've had my deck for a couple months now and haven't had a single crash (yet). And I've played a wide variety of titles. I've got 112 games installed.

Kaboobi
Jan 5, 2005

SHAKE IT BABY!
SALT THAT LADY!

ThermoPhysical posted:

Yeah but the battery on my machine was going to run out without a way to charge it and it would have been a brick anyway, so what's the harm? There's dozens of reports of this fixing the issue and a couple people saying it didn't work so I'd rather have the potential of not having to RMA my machine rather than a guarantee?

Anyway, Rogue Legacy 2 is out for real today and that's gonna be my bedtime run game for the foreseeable future.

Macichne Leainig
Jul 26, 2012

by VG
A small niggle since it's easy to toggle anyway but it doesn't seem like the variable rate shading is per-game. I've found on some titles it impacts the quality noticeably more than others; Trackmania 2020 looks horrible with it on but I can hardly tell in Elden Ring.

Azubah
Jun 5, 2007

Is there an indepth tutorial for (warp/win)nator? It won't find anything on my local network on either device.

Harminoff
Oct 24, 2005

👽

Cabbages and Kings posted:

One of my friends has his deck. Honestly, it's heavier than I was hoping, and the length of time I've had to wait has caused me to just get this setup working for $30 (given that I already had the phone)

My primary use case isn't being on the go (where do I go?!!?!!?), but, rather, playing my steam library from the couch late at night without having to use a PC, or turn on the projector etc. So, 95% of the time I want to use this, I will be on the same 5g network as my primary gaming PC anyway.

Playing Horizon Zero Dawn through this, the lag is not noticable and I have to believe it looks better than it would on the deck given that the rendering is happening on a 5900x + 3090 machine.

This does all that, and, yeah, it's not a full loving computer I can do a bunch of other poo poo with but the big pro to that is it's not another loving full PC I have to configure etc, and if I am just going to use the deck in pure deck OS mode.... I think I like my smartphone setup better? Hell, I can play on a 10" screen if I want, just need a $200 android phablet.

We'll see how I react when I actually get the email, of course.

I tried doing this but it's so top-heavy and uncomfortable. Razer Kishi is a lot better if you wanna go this route.

The 7th Guest
Dec 17, 2003

Dramicus posted:

If it is this kind of issue, you should RMA, because I've had my deck for a couple months now and haven't had a single crash (yet). And I've played a wide variety of titles. I've got 112 games installed.
yeah, the only reason i'm putting it off is because my two-week vacation starts monday and i will be out of town with it. if I RMA it, i'll be without it during the whole vacation so, no thanks. the fact that i can play most 2D games (and some 3D) without issue at least means I can enjoy it on the vacation and then get in touch with valve for RMA when i get back.

having the 256GB model has really not made an impact on installing games because of my indie interests. i've got over 85 games installed lol

what i plan to play during my vacation
- Prodigal
- El Hijo
- Everhood
- Forgotton Anne
- The World Next Door
- Night in the Woods maybe?
- Panzer Paladin

e: I also installed Castle Crashers, Black Book, Calico, Hedon Bloodrite, Ikenfell, Post Void, Rain World, Retro Machina, Streets of Rogue, and VirtuaVerse. probably won't get to most of these though.

I'll save these games for after the RMA: Amnesia Rebirth, Blacksad, Darksiders Genesis, Death Stranding, Metro Exodus, Shadow of the Tomb Raider, Shadow Tactics... basically a lot of the AAA games I have I'll just wait.

The 7th Guest fucked around with this message at 19:43 on Apr 28, 2022

grieving for Gandalf
Apr 22, 2008

Azubah posted:

Is there an indepth tutorial for (warp/win)nator? It won't find anything on my local network on either device.

search through my posts in this thread and you'll find my tutorial for setting up file transfer without it

loudog999
Apr 30, 2006

Anyone else having a hard time just buckling down and actually playing a game on this? I’m still in the period that I’m just downloading stuff to see what runs and tinkering with it more than playing anything. This weekend I’m going to try to actually start playing in earnest. So far I’ve got what I’m going to play narrowed down to Metal Gear V, Death Stranding, No Mans Sky, or Sekiro. I’ve started all of them before but haven’t put more than a handful of hours in any.

MarcusSA
Sep 23, 2007

Harminoff posted:

I tried doing this but it's so top-heavy and uncomfortable. Razer Kishi is a lot better if you wanna go this route.

I 100% agree with this. I've never liked the phone clip style.

haldolium
Oct 22, 2016

Pirate Jet posted:

Got my RMA back after two weeks, but now the new one's lost the fan lottery. :negative:

don't make me nervous :ohdear:. Just got my return mail and I hope the new one will be just working

Wouldn't have thought I'd miss the thing as much. Turned out to be much more as just nice to have.

Lockback
Sep 3, 2006

All days are nights to see till I see thee; and nights bright days when dreams do show me thee.

loudog999 posted:

Anyone else having a hard time just buckling down and actually playing a game on this? I’m still in the period that I’m just downloading stuff to see what runs and tinkering with it more than playing anything. This weekend I’m going to try to actually start playing in earnest. So far I’ve got what I’m going to play narrowed down to Metal Gear V, Death Stranding, No Mans Sky, or Sekiro. I’ve started all of them before but haven’t put more than a handful of hours in any.

I find it better as a "play for 20-30 minute" thing than extended session, which is what I expected.

Rosalie_A
Oct 30, 2011

loudog999 posted:

Anyone else having a hard time just buckling down and actually playing a game on this?

This was me until I needed to spend Easter weekend with my wife's family. Then all of a sudden I got several hours in multiple games I'd been meaning to get to. Funny how that works.

ThermoPhysical
Dec 26, 2007

Spyro takes forever to install on this thing. 4 hours left.

Cabbages and VHS
Aug 25, 2004

Listen, I've been around a bit, you know, and I thought I'd seen some creepy things go on in the movie business, but I really have to say this is the most disgusting thing that's ever happened to me.

Harminoff posted:

wow, thanks for the heads up! That was my only complaint with this setup. I ordered a Kishi, but, I think that getting a used Samsung phablet is next because lol this picture from reddit (of a tablet that weighs surprisingly little for what it is)

We'll see if I still end up getting my deck. Setting a steamdeck up as a DAW seems like a good project, if really dumb

edit: also the 8BitDO was supposed to be a controller for kiddo to play SNES games on, so, ordering a Kishi is cool and good and prevents me from hogging her poo poo.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

grieving for Gandalf
Apr 22, 2008

ThermoPhysical posted:

Spyro takes forever to install on this thing. 4 hours left.

why are you installing via floppy disc