Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Mode 7
Jul 28, 2007

Hooray for impulse purchasing!

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Mode 7
Jul 28, 2007

Swilo posted:

Someone on reddit put together a spreadsheet where people are submitting their order numbers and progress along with some stats: https://docs.google.com/spreadsheets/d/e/2PACX-1vTN01b3n2F7s8eJlF1OSZWwEBEQfABTy3mcWBS7cSs59eQrMmFqG-iRRPjBSOzmUVHro_DiW3msl0sE/pubhtml

3000s are already "Processing" which I assume means shipping in the next few days, my 28XX changed yesterday so I've got hopes of having it next week.

edit: just got the shipping email :toot:

Ah cool, I just actually looked at my account and it is indeed sitting in Processing so hopefully not too far off.

Rolo
Nov 16, 2005

Hmm, what have we here?

Walla posted:

My order number is 264406? Weird.

Q6 2029

infinite99
Aug 9, 2006

ANY OF YALLS DICKS HARD??
So I know one of the things with these devices is having Too Many Games and you never really end up playing anything so does anyone have a good curated list of games that are must plays for each system that's playable? I have an RG351V and I definitely just impulse purchased a Miyoo Mini. I know the Mini can't really play anything past PS1 level of graphics so I guess let's go with PS1 and below?

I'm mostly curious to see what everyone else considers a must play besides the obvious ones like Symphony of the Night, A Link to the Past, Mario World, FF6, Chrono Trigger, etc.

Detective No. 27
Jun 7, 2006

Part of me still can't wrap my mind around the ubiquity of portable PS1 games, despite the fact that I had an official Sony device made to do that in 2005.

beer gas canister
Oct 30, 2007

shmups are da best come play some shmups they're cheap and good and you like them
Plaster Town Cop

infinite99 posted:

So I know one of the things with these devices is having Too Many Games and you never really end up playing anything so does anyone have a good curated list of games that are must plays for each system that's playable? I have an RG351V and I definitely just impulse purchased a Miyoo Mini. I know the Mini can't really play anything past PS1 level of graphics so I guess let's go with PS1 and below?

I'm mostly curious to see what everyone else considers a must play besides the obvious ones like Symphony of the Night, A Link to the Past, Mario World, FF6, Chrono Trigger, etc.

I spent the last few months picking these out by reading a ton of lists and posts. Off the top of my head:

PICO-8:
Posting this to remind anyone with a PICO-8 capable system to check it out. You probably have the necessary "core" to run it if you've bought any of the massive charity bundles. It's $15 or so otherwise. It has an internal rating system that is quite good.

NES:
Marios
Castlevanias
Mega Mans
Silent Service (personal pick, submarine warsim, play with headphones)
River City Ransom
Ghosts and Goblins
Gradius
Punch Out
Tetris

Gameboy:
Donkey Kong
Metroid II
Mario Golf
Link's Awakening
Pokemons
Tetris
Tetris Attack
Kirby series
Qix

Gameboy Color
Zeldas
Legend of the River King
Pokemon Pinball
Super Mario Land
Wario Land and sequels
Shantae (gorgeous indie platformer, made by a husband and wife team iirc)
Pokemon Trading Card Game (deckbuilder fans say it's great)

SNES
Super Metroid
Legend of Zelda: A Link to the Past
Kirby Superstar
Super Mario World
Super Mario All-Stars
Yoshi' Island
Super Mario RPG
Mario Kart
F-Zero
Street Fighter 2 and Alpha 2
Final Fight
ActRaiser
Chrono Trigger
Castlevania Dracula X
Contra 3
Cybernator (Assault Suits Valken) - bitchin mech game
Metal Warriors (more bitchin mechs)
Goemon series (fan translations available)
Shiren the Wanderer (fan translation) - awesome old school roguelike. Buy Shiren 5 if u dig this!
Live a Live (fan translation) - unique Square RPG with 6 distinct plots in various settings
Mega Man X series
Gradius 3
Parodius
Pop'n Twinbee
Rocky n Pocky
Pilotwings
NBA JAM
Knights of the Round
Libble Rabble - (bizarre arcade game where you create a net to trap enemies by ambidextrously controlling 2 "characters" at the same time. Remarkable game and not oft mentioned)
Mechwarrior
Donkey & Diddy Kongs
Mobile Suit Gundam W: Endless Duel
Super Ghouls and Ghosts
Super Punch Out!!
Top Gears (3000 is my fav for the style)
Umihara Kawase (influential Japanese release)

Genesis:
Streets of Rage 2
Shinobi series
Sonic series
NBA JAM
Herzog Zwei (incredibly badass RTS. Surprisingly playable and slick)
MORTAL KOMBAT
Comix Zone
Golden Axe
Gunstar Heroes
Zero Wing

GBA
Pokemons
Advance Wars series
Ninja Cop
Metroid Fusion and Zero Mission. I beat Fusion for the 1st time recently on a 351p and it was excellent
Castlevania trilogy (Aria if i had to pick 1)
Mario Power Tennis
Mario Golf Advance Tour
Mario Kart Super Circuit
Sia (platformer with good art)
WarioWare
Warioland 4
Scurge Hive (isometric Metroidvania, cool small studio affair)
Gradius
Iridion 2
Mega Man Zeros
Max Payne Advance
Racing Gears Advance
Yggdra Union
FFTA (bit rough these days)
Fire Emblem
Gunstar Super Heroes
Astro Boy (insane shmup)

PS1:
Bushido Blade 1&2
Castlevania Symphony of the Night
Tobal 2 (insane fighting game roguelike dungeon crawler from Virtua Fighter and related devs)
Einhander
MGS
MGS VR Missions
Gran Turismo
Final Fantasy Tactics
DOOM
Descent
Ape Escape
IS - Internal Section
Jumping Flash - early tech showcase
Mega Man Legends
Remote Control Dandy (fan translated) - predecessor to the most swag PS2 game: Robot Alchemic Drive
Space Hulk (Rainbow 6 in Warhammer)
Tenchu 1 and 2 (aged poorly but good anyway)

PSP:
Castlevania Dracula X Chronicles (contains SotN as an unlockable???)
Lumines (plays very well on 351p)
FFT
Half-Minute Hero
Jeanne D'Arc
What Did I Do to Deserve This My Lord!? 2

otter
Jul 23, 2007

Ask me about my XCOM and controller collection

word.

beer gas canister posted:

I spent the last few months picking these out by reading a ton of lists and posts. Off the top of my head:

NES: :words:
Gameboy: :words:
Gameboy Color: :words:
SNES: :words:
Genesis:
LIST THAT DOES NOT INCLUDE SHINING FORCE 2, TOEJAM & EARL, NOR ZOOM! AND IS THEREFORE WRONG

zzMisc
Jun 26, 2002

otter posted:

LIST THAT DOES NOT INCLUDE SHINING FORCE 2, TOEJAM & EARL, NOR ZOOM! AND IS THEREFORE WRONG

This pretty much hits head-on the problem with the question in the first place. No matter how long you make such a 'must play list', everyone's going to have their own additions, and it's going to end up not much more helpful than just browsing the library. You gotta specify some genres or systems or something to narrow the scope some, there's just too many great games.

For myself, I suggest following this thread and keeping an eye on new hacks/translations at https://www.romhacking.net/. There are a crazy number of hacks out there to breathe new life into even the most well-worn popular titles, if you feel like playing a Final Fantasy or a Metroid or whatever with a new spin. And then there's randomizers...

CFox
Nov 9, 2005
I'm a big GBA fan, especially on these retro consoles that have a 16x9 screen so my list has a lot of the SNES ports.

Advance Wars 1, 2
Breath of Fire 1, 2
Castlevania Circle, Harmony, Aria
Contra Advance
Donkey Kong County 1, 2, 3
Earthworm Jim 1, 2
Final Fantasy 1 and 2, 4, 5, 6, Tactics
Fire Emblem, Fire Emblem Sacred Stones
F-Zero GP Legend and Maximum Velocity
Golden Sun 1, 2
Gradius Galaxies
Harvest Moon More Friends of Mineral Town
Kingdom Hearts - Chain of Memories
Kirby Nightmare in Dream Land
Kirby and the Amazing Mirror
Legend of Zelda - Link to the Past and Four Swords
Legend of Zelda Minish Cap
Lunar Legend
Mario and Luigi - Superstar Saga
Mega Man Zero 1, 2, 3, 4
Metroid Zero Mission
Metroid Fusion
Pokemon Fire Red,
Pokemon Emerald
Pokemon Pinball Ruby and Sapphire
R-Type III
Sonic Advance 1, 2, 3
Super Ghouls n Ghosts
Super Mario Advance 1, 2, 3, 4
Sword of Mana
Wario Land 4

Now some of these I haven't even played, just collected based on some "best of" lists I've found, but this is what I pretty much keep on hand at all times.

Marx Headroom
May 10, 2007

AT LAST! A show with nonono commercials!
Fallen Rib
Don't forget DOOM and DOOM II on GBA lol

Alucard
Mar 11, 2002
Pillbug

zzMisc posted:

This pretty much hits head-on the problem with the question in the first place. No matter how long you make such a 'must play list', everyone's going to have their own additions, and it's going to end up not much more helpful than just browsing the library. You gotta specify some genres or systems or something to narrow the scope some, there's just too many great games.

For myself, I suggest following this thread and keeping an eye on new hacks/translations at https://www.romhacking.net/. There are a crazy number of hacks out there to breathe new life into even the most well-worn popular titles, if you feel like playing a Final Fantasy or a Metroid or whatever with a new spin. And then there's randomizers...

I always put stuff on thinking it's going to get a ton of playtime because others said it's great but have discovered that most times if you didn't play it back then, it's probably not going to have the rose tint others have for it.

Also if you don't like North & South for NES.and General Chaos for Genesis you are a monster.

Alucard fucked around with this message at 13:53 on Apr 28, 2022

Rolo
Nov 16, 2005

Hmm, what have we here?
Hey just chiming in to say that the Mother 3 fan translation for GBA is superb and it's a fantastic game.

It was my GOTY 2021 and made me FEEL THINGS more than once, something not a lot of games do.

testtubebaby
Apr 7, 2008

Where we're going,
we won't need eyes to see.

Rolo posted:

Hey just chiming in to say that the Mother 3 fan translation for GBA is superb and it's a fantastic game.

It was my GOTY 2021 and made me FEEL THINGS more than once, something not a lot of games do.

GotY 2021? Pretty sure the fan translation came out over a decade ago…

Wait, are you one of those people who think GotY is whatever they played that year that they liked the best, regardless of release date?

Saoshyant
Oct 26, 2010

:hmmorks: :orks:

zenintrude posted:

Wait, are you one of those people who think GotY is whatever they played that year that they liked the best, regardless of release date?

Don't you?

Alucard
Mar 11, 2002
Pillbug
SotN GotY 1997-2022

Rolo
Nov 16, 2005

Hmm, what have we here?

zenintrude posted:

GotY 2021? Pretty sure the fan translation came out over a decade ago…

If it’s the first time I played it, you know it baby.

infinite99
Aug 9, 2006

ANY OF YALLS DICKS HARD??
Thanks for the input so far! I'm just looking for suggestions and hopefully just cherry picking from these lists if I see something interesting. I've played most of the games on these lists but usually bounce off after a few hours and forget about them so being reminded of them helps me pick stuff to try again!

Keep the lists coming! MAME and Neo Geo would be appreciated as well. Maybe TG-16? I never really played much TG-16 but I remember seeing ads and reviews of the games in EGM and Gamepro and they always looked super cool!

mariooncrack
Dec 27, 2008
Ridge Racer 2 for PSP. it was never released in the US but IMO it's better than the original.

Alucard
Mar 11, 2002
Pillbug

infinite99 posted:

Thanks for the input so far! I'm just looking for suggestions and hopefully just cherry picking from these lists if I see something interesting. I've played most of the games on these lists but usually bounce off after a few hours and forget about them so being reminded of them helps me pick stuff to try again!

Keep the lists coming! MAME and Neo Geo would be appreciated as well. Maybe TG-16? I never really played much TG-16 but I remember seeing ads and reviews of the games in EGM and Gamepro and they always looked super cool!

I wonder if we should set up a Google sheet or something as a resource with favorite classics.

As far as TurboGrafx goes - the Bonk games and Air Zonk we're my jam on my friend's TurboXpress.

For MAME, X-Men, Simpsons, and all the Metal Slugs. But you probably knew that already.

otter
Jul 23, 2007

Ask me about my XCOM and controller collection

word.

infinite99 posted:

Mame: Rastan, strider
Neo Geo: baseball stars professional, any king of fighters
Turbografx: Ys Book I & II

CRAYON
Feb 13, 2006

In the year 3000..

Tetris was mentioned a few times in that post on a few different platforms but I have to throw Tetris DX (GBC) into the mix for it's 40 Lines mode. Such a fun / quick way to play Tetris that fits perfectly on a lot of these devices that you may be using for short bursts of gameplay.

Wish someone would make a romhack without all the goofy post-game animations so I could quickly hop back into the game. At least fast forward exists.

Manky
Mar 20, 2007

Fun Shoe
Tetris romhacks? Do check out rosy retrospection of the og tetris gb.

CRAYON
Feb 13, 2006

In the year 3000..

Manky posted:

Tetris romhacks? Do check out rosy retrospection of the og tetris gb.

lol nice, you can tell I didn't look into it at all because here is exactly what I wanted: Tetris DX: Skip Celebrations

zzMisc
Jun 26, 2002

So, slaminger of TechToyTinker - the guy who does the TheRA custom firmware, which historically has often been the first cfw available on new Anbernic and other devices - put out a video defending the RG503: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=jnUINS3GRjg

Honestly, the video itself isn't very good, just a very long way of saying "No it's fine, really" and (poorly) defending Anbernic's decision to lean on cfw devs. Which I honestly don't think is that big a deal, and I get what he's saying, I just think the point could've been made better.

But IMO the important tidbit is in the comments - I asked about the 6 month code embargo, and he said that after some pushback they had got it reduced to a month. So we could have cfw by the end of May, instead of frickin' November. So now I'm a lot less apprehensive about my order.

MarcusSA
Sep 23, 2007

Relying on devs for CFW imo isn’t a big deal if your hardware is A+

The 503 is far from that and I’d make the case that the 552 isn’t that great either and I own one.

Bad Video Games
Sep 17, 2017

For specific genres, any recommendations for point and click adventure games? I really don't care much about the system, but any that can't be played through ScummVM would be best.

Edit: Also visual novels that aren't Tokimeki Memorial Club or DDLC.

Bad Video Games fucked around with this message at 23:08 on Apr 28, 2022

beer gas canister
Oct 30, 2007

shmups are da best come play some shmups they're cheap and good and you like them
Plaster Town Cop
why would they embargo the code at all? it's gotta be clear that most users switch to CFW right away

MarcusSA
Sep 23, 2007

why would they embargo the code at all? it's gotta be clear that most users switch to CFW right away

Especially with how poo poo their default stuff can be.

zzMisc
Jun 26, 2002

It was due to Rockchip, not Anbernic. But beyond that, and why Anbernic couldn't force Rockchip to play ball if they wanted to sell their chips, I really don't know.

Side-by-side shoulders and awkward function key aside, the RG503 looks like a pretty sweet piece of hardware to me :shrug:, it was just that code embargo that was the real sticking point.

Elwood P Dowd
Jan 4, 2003

Well, I've wrestled with reality for 35 years, Doctor, and I'm happy to state I finally won out over it.
My Odin Pro just arrived and holy cow is it beautiful. It's my first, and likely only portable system I will own, but it fits well, the screen is large, and I can't wait to get into it... except holy cow I waited too long to find out what I'm supposed to do and the Reddit group for it does not have any simple tips for setup for someone like me, sigh...

MarcusSA
Sep 23, 2007

As predicted my steam deck arrived before my Odin pro and after installing a bunch of steam games I have like 0 motivation to use the deck for emulation lol

I’ll just stick with my Odin / Miyoo for emulation.

The deck is loving everything it’s supposed to be and I love the thing so far.

I have nearly every other portable pc and the deck blows them out of the water handily.

Rolo
Nov 16, 2005

Hmm, what have we here?
I’m really glad because if it’s successful I might get a smaller version that goes in my bag easier.

ChiTownEddie
Mar 26, 2010

Awesome beer, no pants.
Join the Legion.

Elwood P Dowd posted:

My Odin Pro just arrived and holy cow is it beautiful. It's my first, and likely only portable system I will own, but it fits well, the screen is large, and I can't wait to get into it... except holy cow I waited too long to find out what I'm supposed to do and the Reddit group for it does not have any simple tips for setup for someone like me, sigh...

I'm very jealous. Check out Retro Game Corps, hes got an Android Starter Guide (both yt video and written guide).

kirbysuperstar
Nov 11, 2012

Let the fools who stand before us be destroyed by the power you and I possess.

Walla posted:

Edit: Also visual novels that aren't Tokimeki Memorial Club or DDLC.

Bloody Bride, Silent Hill Play Novel, Radical Dreamers, the PSP translation ports of Never7/Ever17/Remember11 (should run on most anything that can boot PPSSPP), Genso Suikogaiden vol1/2, Metal Slader Glory, Famicom Detective Club, Jesus, the Phantasy Star II text adventures

Elwood P Dowd
Jan 4, 2003

Well, I've wrestled with reality for 35 years, Doctor, and I'm happy to state I finally won out over it.

ChiTownEddie posted:

I'm very jealous. Check out Retro Game Corps, hes got an Android Starter Guide (both yt video and written guide).

This is fantastic, thank you!

Nam Taf
Jun 25, 2005

I am Fat Man, hear me roar!

MarcusSA posted:

As predicted my steam deck arrived before my Odin pro and after installing a bunch of steam games I have like 0 motivation to use the deck for emulation lol

I’ll just stick with my Odin / Miyoo for emulation.

The deck is loving everything it’s supposed to be and I love the thing so far.

I have nearly every other portable pc and the deck blows them out of the water handily.

Why don't you want to use the Deck for emulation? Is it because the others are good enough that it's not worth the configuration effort?
I hope to get a Deck sometime in 2028, and planned to consolidate emulation and steam gaming into the one device, so hearing that you don't wan to use it for that makes me wonder why.

Also, I just got my RP2+ shipping notification despite ordering only 3 days ago. Clearly their production is catching back up.

MarcusSA
Sep 23, 2007

Nam Taf posted:

Why don't you want to use the Deck for emulation? Is it because the others are good enough that it's not worth the configuration effort?

Kinda this and kinda that the deck plays my steam games so good I'd rather just play through some of them on it.

I think the Odin when I get it will be much easier to set up as well.

Nam Taf
Jun 25, 2005

I am Fat Man, hear me roar!

Yeh, fair. My 800+ backlog of not-Dota was the impetus for me buying a Deck too, but I think ultimately it'll become my all-in-one for moving me away from infront of my desktop and into my living room so I had intended to make it do it all.
Given I only ordered earlier this month (it's not available in AU, so I did it when I was in the UK) I won't get it til probably mid next year, so I may well captiulate and buy something else. I nearly got an Odin Pro in place of it, but figured something smaller for just older emulation would tide me over.

sethsez
Jul 14, 2006

He's soooo dreamy...

The Deck is also massive and complete overkill if you just wanna play Yoshi's Island on the go. It's portable, but the kind of portable you have to plan around.

zzMisc posted:

So, slaminger of TechToyTinker - the guy who does the TheRA custom firmware, which historically has often been the first cfw available on new Anbernic and other devices - put out a video defending the RG503: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=jnUINS3GRjg

Honestly, the video itself isn't very good, just a very long way of saying "No it's fine, really" and (poorly) defending Anbernic's decision to lean on cfw devs. Which I honestly don't think is that big a deal, and I get what he's saying, I just think the point could've been made better.

But IMO the important tidbit is in the comments - I asked about the 6 month code embargo, and he said that after some pushback they had got it reduced to a month. So we could have cfw by the end of May, instead of frickin' November. So now I'm a lot less apprehensive about my order.

In the comments he also says Anbernic low-key helped him pay for his brother's funeral, which is honestly pretty drat cool of them.

sethsez fucked around with this message at 13:02 on Apr 29, 2022

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

drrockso20
May 6, 2013

Has Not Actually Done Cocaine

well it's gone now, ended up going with a listing on Amazon I found that's only a slight markup from what KeepRetro was offering(70 bucks vs 60, so still a pretty good deal) that should arrive by the end of next week at the latest