Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

MRC48B
Apr 2, 2012

Seems to me the priority is over-nighting* the customer the Correct breather, then pointing fingers later.

*so one week, these days.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Vincent Van Goatse
Nov 8, 2006

Enjoy every sandwich.

Smellrose

wesleywillis posted:

Every now and then I have to remind someone that water made the grand canyon.

Water ain't called the universal solvent for nothing.

slidebite
Nov 6, 2005

Good egg
:colbert:

MRC48B posted:

Seems to me the priority is over-nighting* the customer the Correct breather, then pointing fingers later.

*so one week, these days.
Point taken, but I genuinely think it's more a mistake or potentially incompetence in the build. I'll find out more today, they (surprise) never called me back yesterday afternoon.

In my experience pointing fingers only happens with a confrontation. Otherwise they just hope to ignore it and magically it will disappear.

tactlessbastard
Feb 4, 2001

Godspeed, post
Fun Shoe
We had a motor corrode like that in a very moist environment and had to be replaced. My suggestion that we replace it with a washdown motor was rejected as too expensive.

Anyway the replacement motor has lasted about 6 months and is starting to get pretty crunchy.

EvenWorseOpinions
Jun 10, 2017
I got to watch an old boss get the gearbox milkshake treatment once. Absolutely the highlight of that job.

One of the other things that happened was when a coworker failed to understand that something is wrong if the sightglass level doesn't change when you keep putting oil into the reservoir, and maybe instead of topping it off and calling it good, you should let someone know. That gearbox had partially turned to ferrofluid, plugged the sight glass line, and didn't stop turning to ferrofluid after it was overfilled

slidebite
Nov 6, 2005

Good egg

The manufacturer is trying to say "but that breather is good enough" :downs: No, apparently it isn't.

I am literally having to hold their hand explaining why it isn't but being very polite and professional in doing so.

So as a gearbox gets warm during operation, the air inside also warms and expands so it needs to "breathe" - and it will crack open the check valve. Conversely, as it cools it sucks in the ambient atmosphere which will have a shitload of humidity which won't easily get in as the check on the breather closes. This is actually the major reason why you have a check valve as standard, let alone in a severe application. This is over and on top of liquid water working its way in from the environment.

It is very basic knowledge and anything that has anything to do with industrial PT or hydraulic applications for more than a couple years should be able to wrap their head around the concept without a fuss.

Platystemon
Feb 13, 2012

BREADS
Water can be in phases other than liquid? :monocle:

slidebite
Nov 6, 2005

Good egg

Right?

It's actually not all that different from water in the engine of a vehicle. There are cases where people who do tons of short trip driving but don't let their engines get up to operating temperature who go to change the oil and oodles of water comes out. Very similar, although some (or most) of the water probably comes from IC.

Difference being if your industrial gearbox gets as hot as the crankcase in your F150 to vaporize the water, you probably have other problems that need to get fixed first.

Computer viking
May 30, 2011
Now with less breakage.

slidebite posted:

The manufacturer is trying to say "but that breather is good enough" :downs: No, apparently it isn't.

I am literally having to hold their hand explaining why it isn't but being very polite and professional in doing so.

So as a gearbox gets warm during operation, the air inside also warms and expands so it needs to "breathe" - and it will crack open the check valve. Conversely, as it cools it sucks in the ambient atmosphere which will have a shitload of humidity which won't easily get in as the check on the breather closes. This is actually the major reason why you have a check valve as standard, let alone in a severe application. This is over and on top of liquid water working its way in from the environment.

It is very basic knowledge and anything that has anything to do with industrial PT or hydraulic applications for more than a couple years should be able to wrap their head around the concept without a fuss.

How exactly does that work as it cools? Do you built it pressure proof enough to sit at underpressure until it heats up again (so the check valve is truly one-way and only for venting overpressure), or should there be an air inlet system that's splash proof and has a drying agent?

slidebite
Nov 6, 2005

Good egg

You pretty much got it. The difference in pressure is very minor and we're generally not talking about a lot of air. But yes, the spring in the check would force the ball to go back to the seat and close as it cools close to ambient so in essence the inside of the gearbox would be slightly under pressure from ambient pressure outside the gearbox.

The seals are typically enough to handle 7-10+PSI differential which is massive compared to what it would actually be experiencing. Barring worn out seals/shafts/housing/etc.

Each individual cycle would be minuscule in water from the atmosphere (pulling a # out of my rear end, for a small gearbox like this probably only a ml or something, if that) but it adds up, especially if it's super moisture laden air.

Larger systems (or by specific application) utilize desiccant breathers as well to remove moisture.

e: Just to be clear, in this case the gearbox may actually cool slightly lower than ambient air temp due to the water in the environment, which would actually make it worse. It's still very small for pressure differential though. The main goal is to stop the the air from the immediate environment getting into the gearbox as much as reasonably possible.

slidebite fucked around with this message at 23:32 on Apr 29, 2022

Elviscat
Jan 1, 2008

Well don't you know I'm caught in a trap?

slidebite posted:

You pretty much got it. The difference in pressure is very minor and we're generally not talking about a lot of air. But yes, the spring in the check would force the ball to go back to the seat and close as it cools close to ambient so in essence the inside of the gearbox would be slightly under pressure from ambient pressure outside the gearbox.

The seals are typically enough to handle 7-10+PSI differential which is massive compared to what it would actually be experiencing. Barring worn out seals/shafts/housing/etc.

Each individual cycle would be minuscule in water from the atmosphere (pulling a # out of my rear end, for a small gearbox like this probably only a ml or something, if that) but it adds up, especially if it's super moisture laden air.

Larger systems (or by specific application) utilize desiccant breathers as well to remove moisture.

e: Just to be clear, in this case the gearbox may actually cool slightly lower than ambient air temp due to the water in the environment, which would actually make it worse. It's still very small for pressure differential though. The main goal is to stop the the air from the immediate environment getting into the gearbox as much as reasonably possible.

Wouldn't remotely locating the breather in a dry location be a better solution? If you're often at an underpressure those seals are going to be drawing water on startup pretty soon.

slidebite
Nov 6, 2005

Good egg

That might be an option and is done in some tough applications, but it's generally not practical or even really needed. If you've got a gearbox in a wet location you might be able to get a breather away from immediate "splash" but probably not away from a high humidity unless you pipe it really far away and deal with any physical obstacles in the way.

But, the solution already exists and is simple. Valved breathers are a very basic, proven technology with at most 2 moving parts: A very light spring and a ball. Regarding an under-pressure, it's a very small pressure differential. Many only have one moving part (like a lightweight rubber "flap")

I see where your mind is going with this, but in practice (and millions of these are in service and have been for years) it's just not an issue. The small amount of head of the oil in the gearbox is probably causing a higher pressure differential on the seals than just atmosphere on its own. If the seals start to fail enough to draw in atmosphere you'll likely be leaking lubricant as well.

Here is what a basic "normal" one without a desiccant setup looks like (they are all similar in principal):

https://youtu.be/nvdVxP5BdMA

BigPaddy
Jun 30, 2008

That night we performed the rite and opened the gate.
Halfway through, I went to fix us both a coke float.
By the time I got back, he'd gone insane.
Plus, he'd left the gate open and there was evil everywhere.

I always love how regardless of the industry or context building something the right way is always too expensive and when things fall apart it is the person who suggested that it is built the correct way is the one who ends up eating poo poo.

Cojawfee
May 31, 2006
I think the US is dumb for not using Celsius

BigPaddy posted:

I always love how regardless of the industry or context building something the right way is always too expensive and when things fall apart it is the person who suggested that it is built the correct way is the one who ends up eating poo poo.

I'm guessing it all has to do with budgets and who has what money. Design has their budget, production has their budget, and then the warranty claim people have their budget. You can't just move money between departments because whoever loses money to fund the right way to do something gets pissy about it.

stinch
Nov 21, 2013
the checkvalve isn't equalising the pressure, it's just establishing a maximum possible pressure that is below the limit of the seals so they don't blow out.

so i guess there are two ways it could work. 1, you lose some air through the valve at operating temp and when it cools some air is sucked back into the gearbox, however it's going to be less air than with an open breather. 2, you lose some air through the valve at operating temp but when it cools the seals can still keep the outside pressure at bay.

in the second option the checkvalve is essencially establishing a volume of air within the box so that the seals never experiance pressures then can not handle.

stinch fucked around with this message at 09:51 on Apr 30, 2022

Computer viking
May 30, 2011
Now with less breakage.

That all makes sense, thanks.

MadScientistWorking
Jun 23, 2010

"I was going through a time period where I was looking up weird stories involving necrophilia..."
So I know a bunch of you post I Do Cares videos and this one is amazing. Like I don't know much about cars but it seems like if parts of the car are catastrophically melting you have major issues.
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=JK_ZyKh2Nyc

spookykid
Apr 28, 2006

I am an awkward fellow
after all
When you try to run 45lb of boost on a 1.8 turbo with insufficient blowoffs:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=LqSkYMmyUWU

Humbug Scoolbus
Apr 25, 2008

The scarlet letter was her passport into regions where other women dared not tread. Shame, Despair, Solitude! These had been her teachers, stern and wild ones, and they had made her strong, but taught her much amiss.
Clapping Larry

spookykid posted:

When you try to run 45lb of boost on a 1.8 turbo with insufficient blowoffs:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=LqSkYMmyUWU

That cold crank does not sound good.

randomidiot
May 12, 2006

by Fluffdaddy

(and can't post for 11 years!)

MadScientistWorking posted:

So I know a bunch of you post I Do Cares videos and this one is amazing. Like I don't know much about cars but it seems like if parts of the car are catastrophically melting you have major issues.

Problem exists between driver's seat and steering wheel on that one. That thing got HOT. Impressive that it managed to run long enough to slag the pistons.

randomidiot fucked around with this message at 06:50 on May 2, 2022

Zero One
Dec 30, 2004

HAIL TO THE VICTORS!
Customer states: Loud cluck noise coming from rear axle.

Customer states: Engine is purring.

Source for both:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=-7OL2lwjXUo

`Nemesis
Dec 30, 2000

railroad graffiti

`Nemesis fucked around with this message at 04:44 on May 12, 2022

OBAMNA PHONE
Aug 7, 2002
Redditors are disgusting

Vincent Van Goatse
Nov 8, 2006

Enjoy every sandwich.

Smellrose

BraveUlysses posted:

Redditors are disgusting

Boo this man.

Raluek
Nov 3, 2006

WUT.

MadScientistWorking posted:

i like that he's got a wall-o-LS as a background to these videos. very reassuring

man that thing looks like it's about to break in half

sharkytm
Oct 9, 2003

Ba

By

Sharkytm doot doo do doot do doo

Fallen Rib

Raluek posted:

i like that he's got a wall-o-LS as a background to these videos. very reassuring

man that thing looks like it's about to break in half

Rust is a shade of red

StormDrain
May 22, 2003

Thirteen Letter

sharkytm posted:

Rust is a shade of red

International Harvesters are red for a reason.

wesleywillis
Dec 30, 2016

SUCK A MALE CAMEL'S DICK WITH MIRACLE WHIP!!
Reminds me of a guy that I worked with who got fired for being an idiot.

He was running one of our older machines, which happens to be red. He wanted to repaint it. Didn't bother masking anything, over spray everywhere, on everything. Including the dirt that he didn't bother even trying to spray off before painting it. Just painted over that poo poo. Now that its been power washed, there is a bunch of bare spots that used to have paint covered dirt on them!!

Nice job dumb rear end!!

kastein
Aug 31, 2011

Moderator at http://www.ridgelineownersclub.com/forums/and soon to be mod of AI. MAKE AI GREAT AGAIN. Motronic for VP.
Sounds like he used to work at a military equipment depot. My truck had overspray on anything and everything including the sidewalls of the tires.

Darchangel
Feb 12, 2009

Tell him about the blower!

I think my favorite is the claim that a truck from 1992 1) has a carburetor, and 2) has a PowerGlide.
I mean, I'd stay away from it anyway, other than to laugh at it, but if it weren't literally dipped in red (and breaking in half), I'd avoid based o the points 1 & 2.

IOwnCalculus
Apr 2, 2003

Darchangel posted:

I think my favorite is the claim that a truck from 1992 1) has a carburetor, and 2) has a PowerGlide.
I mean, I'd stay away from it anyway, other than to laugh at it, but if it weren't literally dipped in red (and breaking in half), I'd avoid based o the points 1 & 2.

A truck that fuckled could well have had a Q-jet and a 'glide slammed in it by the same idiot who made it all red.

kastein
Aug 31, 2011

Moderator at http://www.ridgelineownersclub.com/forums/and soon to be mod of AI. MAKE AI GREAT AGAIN. Motronic for VP.
A 92 should have factory TBI which looks exactly like a carb if you light your bowls from the bottom and have enough attention to detail to do an amazing paint job like that.

Raluek
Nov 3, 2006

WUT.

kastein posted:

A 92 should have factory TBI which looks exactly like a carb if you light your bowls from the bottom and have enough attention to detail to do an amazing paint job like that.

haha this is a euphemism i hadnt heard before

he does say its a glide, but maybe it's a th350 with one gear that doesn't work

although given the stated mileage, it's probably either a lie for comedy value, or just whatever old junk they slammed together to make something that nominally runs and drives for a laugh

Fifty Three
Oct 29, 2007

kastein posted:

if you light your bowls from the bottom
Holy poo poo lol I'm stealing this

PainterofCrap
Oct 17, 2002

hey bebe

Darchangel posted:

'62 Biscayne represent

I mean, I stuffed a '73 Buick 455 & 400TH longtail into a '69 Cutlass convertible, so I guess it's possible, if not adviseable.

cursedshitbox
May 20, 2012

Your rear-end wont survive my hammering.

Fun Shoe

Raluek posted:

700r4/4l60 with two dead gears :hmmyes:

Powershift
Nov 23, 2009

cursedshitbox posted:

Their natural state.

Darchangel
Feb 12, 2009

Tell him about the blower!

IOwnCalculus posted:

A truck that fuckled could well have had a Q-jet and a 'glide slammed in it by the same idiot who made it all red.

Oh, fair point.

kastein posted:

Definitely. Worked on one a friend had. They had EFI from '88. I think even the '87 square bodies had TBI.

Raluek posted:

haha this is a euphemism i hadnt heard before

although given the stated mileage, it's probably either a lie for comedy value, or just whatever old junk they slammed together to make something that nominally runs and drives for a laugh

I thought about that and forgot to post it. Thanks for posting in my stead.

PainterofCrap posted:

'62 Biscayne represent

I mean, I stuffed a '73 Buick 455 & 400TH longtail into a '69 Cutlass convertible, so I guess it's possible, if not adviseable.

Sure. Really the longtail is the only issue, since you could get the respective big blocks in the '68-'72 A-bodies.
My '68 ElCo had a 327/PG. I really didn't care for that 2-speed.

cursedshitbox posted:

Oh, right. '92 should have the 700r4.

BigPaddy
Jun 30, 2008

That night we performed the rite and opened the gate.
Halfway through, I went to fix us both a coke float.
By the time I got back, he'd gone insane.
Plus, he'd left the gate open and there was evil everywhere.

Darchangel posted:

Definitely. Worked on one a friend had. They had EFI from '88. I think even the '87 square bodies had TBI.

I am using an 87 and up EFI saddle tank on the C10. For modern EFI you need to use a different pump as TBI runs at about 40PSI iirc and I need big daddy 58.5 PSI for the Holley Sniper.

A lot of stuff for the fuel system I see listed as 87 to either 96 or 2001 depending on the model and if it was something that was skirting emissions stuff like HD trucks.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

LifeSunDeath
Jan 4, 2007

still gay rights and smoke weed every day