Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Back Alley Borks
Oct 22, 2017

Awoo.

I had a rubber band around my Bahn Mi sandwich today and my cat was very curious and started fiddling with it when it was in my hand. He clearly loved messing with it!

I thought whether I could 3D print something that holds rubber bands but then realized that there's no way I'd prevent him from eating it if it snapped. Is there a cat-safe version of a rubber band that I could get him instead?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Weird Pumpkin
Oct 7, 2007

Back Alley Borks posted:

I had a rubber band around my Bahn Mi sandwich today and my cat was very curious and started fiddling with it when it was in my hand. He clearly loved messing with it!

I thought whether I could 3D print something that holds rubber bands but then realized that there's no way I'd prevent him from eating it if it snapped. Is there a cat-safe version of a rubber band that I could get him instead?

My cats go wild for my wife's springy hair ties, but I dunno that those are much safer to be honest

There Bias Two
Jan 13, 2009
I'm not a good person

Back Alley Borks posted:

You might have luck with spring toys. That would at least give your cat the elasticity they like without being a hazard to them. My cats carry their springs around my apartment regularly.

MarcusSA
Sep 23, 2007

There Bias Two posted:

You might have luck with spring toys. That would at least give your cat the elasticity they like without being a hazard to them. My cats carry their springs around my apartment regularly.

Same. Both of my cats love them.

They also love to fling them off the balcony so I’ve subscribed and saved for a pack.

Jayne Doe
Jan 16, 2010
My cat discovered the great joy of pushing them under things and then trying to fish them back out.

When I moved the fridge at my old apartment, when cleaning to move out, I found like thirty of them just hanging out a few inches farther than she could reach.

MarcusSA
Sep 23, 2007

I’ve found quite a few of them in the toilet as well.

Rust Martialis
May 8, 2007

by Fluffdaddy

(and can't post for 4 days!)

MarcusSA posted:

I’ve found quite a few of them in the toilet as well.

Odd form of pica you have there

Annath
Jan 11, 2009

Batatouille is a great and funny play on words for a video game creature and I love silly words like these
Clever Betty
I was shopping online for cat food, and saw some mention of Blue Buffalo being "known to cause urinary tract crystals". This was specifically noted on reviews of the Freedom Canned Chicken Pate SKU.

Is this something legit? I have been thinking about switching my cats from dry to wet, and Blue Buffalo has an otherwise sterling reputation as far as I knew.

VelociBacon
Dec 8, 2009

Jayne Doe posted:

My cat discovered the great joy of pushing them under things and then trying to fish them back out.

When I moved the fridge at my old apartment, when cleaning to move out, I found like thirty of them just hanging out a few inches farther than she could reach.

Quill loves these springs and would push them up under the bottom of baseboard heaters at the old place.

explosivo
May 23, 2004

Fueled by Satan

Annath posted:

I was shopping online for cat food, and saw some mention of Blue Buffalo being "known to cause urinary tract crystals". This was specifically noted on reviews of the Freedom Canned Chicken Pate SKU.

Is this something legit? I have been thinking about switching my cats from dry to wet, and Blue Buffalo has an otherwise sterling reputation as far as I knew.

My vet specifically advises against blue buffalo, I don't know if it's for the same reasoning but since I've gotten cats and have been visiting a vet I've been told to get anything but blue buffalo essentially.

Iron Crowned
May 6, 2003

by Hand Knit

explosivo posted:

My vet specifically advises against blue buffalo, I don't know if it's for the same reasoning but since I've gotten cats and have been visiting a vet I've been told to get anything but blue buffalo essentially.

I fed my cat Blue Buffalo back in 2009-2011, and she definitely got bladder stones. Had to get surgery to remove 9 of them, largest was almost a centimeter. She's been on prescription food ever since.

gey muckle mowser
Aug 5, 2003

Do you know anything about...
witches?

Buglord
huh, I've tried a couple of different wet food types to see what my cats seem to like the best, and of course Blue Buffalo is their favorite and what they've gotten the most of over the past two months. There are some other kinds they are OK with too, maybe I'll switch.

mcmagic
Jul 1, 2004

If you see this avatar while scrolling the succ zone, you have been visited by the mcmagic of shitty lib takes! Good luck and prosperity will come to you, but only if you reply "shut the fuck up mcmagic" to this post!
Anyone have experience with luxating patella surgery for cats? I think the little guy who showed up in my backyard a few weeks ago might need it.

Boogalo
Jul 8, 2012

Meep Meep

Blue Buffalo also just has a pretty high incidence of recalls.

Kitfox88
Aug 21, 2007

Anybody lose their glasses?
On the topic of food, would Royal Canin Veterinary Diet Adult Urinary SO Dry food be less filling than normal food? Harry's been on it now since October and while we haven't had any more UT issues (yay) he is also gaining weight kinda fast it feels like (not yay). He goes in for a checkup the 5th of May so we're gonna talk to the vet but I'm worried I'll need to stop freefeeding like I used to and get him on a schedule, which has me antsy since he's a needy little poo poo and makes it known when he's unhappy. :ohdear:

D34THROW
Jan 29, 2012

RETAIL RETAIL LISTEN TO ME BITCH ABOUT RETAIL
:rant:
Here we see a Perdy warming up to her Daddy after 5 years, hanging out with me on the bed while Mommy takes a bath.

Len
Jan 21, 2008

Pouches, bandages, shoulderpad, cyber-eye...

Bitchin'!

We use arm and hammer litter and it's been getting stuck in the cats fur. Not clumps or anything just grains of litter. You'll be petting a cat and you'll just feel grit and there will be litter on whatever surface they were sitting in for the pets. They're both short hair cats if that makes a difference, has this happened to anyone else or are my assholes just special?

We also just moved to a new place without carpet and I forgot how much I hate the feel of litter on the floor. Does anyone have a suggestion for dealing with that? Our litter box is a litter robot

Macichne Leainig
Jul 26, 2012

by VG
I just switched to that litter actually and I can't say I notice that. I use mine in a litter robot too though. They do love to track it out, we have like three separate litter mats in front of the litter box.

D34THROW
Jan 29, 2012

I'd love to use those but they're the first target of "hey clean the box fucker" protest pissing :negative:

kw0134
Apr 19, 2003

I buy feet pics🍆

Either the cats are stepping in the patches of litter they're peeing in, or the air is so dry that they're little balls of static electricity, attracting stray litter particles. Or they're rocketing out of the Litter Robot at mach 3 and in the ensuing sonic boom they scatter it on themselves. I honestly don't know what to tell you, I have pretty much the identical setup and never seen that happen.

Len
Jan 21, 2008

Bitchin'!

kw0134 posted:

Either the cats are stepping in the patches of litter they're peeing in, or the air is so dry that they're little balls of static electricity, attracting stray litter particles. Or they're rocketing out of the Litter Robot at mach 3 and in the ensuing sonic boom they scatter it on themselves. I honestly don't know what to tell you, I have pretty much the identical setup and never seen that happen.

Could be either of these. Bean gets real bad dry skin every winter and rear end in a top hat has never calmly walked out of the litter robot, he scampers like the hounds of hell are chasing after him.

Harriet Carker
Jun 2, 2009

We're moving to a new house (and a new state!) soon. Tips for making it as comfy as possible for our kitty? I already got some Felliway. We are planning on doing the ~12 hour drive in a single day - can she stay in her carrier that long? What about bathroom breaks?

redreader
Nov 2, 2009

I am the coolest person ever with my pirate chalice. Seriously.

Dinosaur Gum
Can someone recommend cat food for indoor-only cats. We have 6 cats, ages:

15, 13, 7, 5, 5, 5.

They get dry food in the morning, wet food in the evening, and dry food again at night.
dry food, IDK what it is but reading this thread it will never be blue buffalo again. I get it from target or costco.
wet food: Wellness Complete Health Natural Grain Free Wet Canned Cat Food, Minced Turkey & Salmon Entree (12.5 oz cans)

the 15-year-old has a chip-activated feeder to give her special Old Lady Cat food because she has a sensitive tummy.
We have been giving her:

Royal Canin Feline Nutrition Digestive Sensitive Thin Slices in Gravy Canned Cat Food (3 oz cans)

There are 2 issues:

1: the wellness canned food now costs an astronomical amount: 90 dollars for 12 cans. I use 1/2 a can per day at dinner time.
2: the old lady cat food costs more than double that astronomical amount. 18.59 for 12 little cans. I feed her two cans per day.

All of these prices have doubled or something, since covid started. Owning 6 cats used to be expensive and now it's bullshit expensive.

What can I replace wellness canned food with, that is just as healthy?

I also tried giving the old lady cat some 'Purina Pro Plan Senior Pate Wet Cat Food, FOCUS Chicken & Beef Entree - (24) 3 oz. Pull-Top Cans' which are 32 dollars, a LOT cheaper, and she seemed to tolerate it. Is that about as good as I can expect? I was about to order more on amazon and they're out.

tldr:
-What good dry food can I buy from target/costco
-what good canned food can I get, in general, to feed all of them, because wellness is SUPER expensive
-What good Old Lady Sensitive Tum food can I give my old lady cat, that doesn't cost a bomb?

D34THROW
Jan 29, 2012

Well poo poo. We just give ours Purina cat chow and Aldi canned pate, which is $0.35 a can. :shobon:

The best thing is wet food time when Chino lifts up his front end like a T-rex and starts meowing his quiet little chirp in anticipation.

Deteriorata
Feb 6, 2005

In terms of "wellness," there is no nutritional difference between brands. It's all regulated by the FDA to the same nutritional standards. So cheap stuff is just as healthy as expensive stuff. Cheap stuff will have more cellulose filler, which is both good and bad. Good in that it gives them some fiber to minimize pooping problems, bad because it's less dense and cats will eat more of it, negating some of the lower cost. YMMV, buy whatever your cats will eat.

You'll have to experiment with Old Lady, I guess. Special diets are usually expensive. You'll have to find out what she can tolerate.

Len
Jan 21, 2008

Bitchin'!

Someone was real mad about a closed door

Iron Crowned
May 6, 2003

by Hand Knit

Len posted:

Someone was real mad about a closed door

You should probably just get used to having a poopin' pal

D34THROW
Jan 29, 2012

Iron Crowned posted:

I have 4 kids thst always need something so i have to poop with the door open anyway. 2 cats of our 6 reliably use this to receive pets from a captive audience.

Len
Jan 21, 2008

Bitchin'!

Iron Crowned posted:

I was about to take a nice hot shower and wanted to keep the steam in. I've got no problem with a poopin buddy

Edit: I've been making jokes about cutting a cat hole in the door now that we own instead of rent

Iron Crowned
May 6, 2003

by Hand Knit

Len posted:

I was about to take a nice hot shower and wanted to keep the steam in. I've got no problem with a poopin buddy

Edit: I've been making jokes about cutting a cat hole in the door now that we own instead of rent

Cats make great towel warmers

xzzy
Mar 5, 2009

My cat is an ice cube, this morning she was tunneling under the blankets as I was trying to sleep. Felt her ears and they were ice cold.

She's not a shorthair either, I'd label her as medium length.

owls or something
Jul 7, 2003

I just stay away from the boutique brands. They're bullshit and it's all marketing. For example, Blue Buffalo doesn't even make their products. It's all just contracted out to the presumably lowest bidder 3rd party factory that also makes generic store brands. That's why every time you buy a new bag/case it's like they changed the product completely.

I've come to find Putin Pro Plan dry & wet to be a good value and consistent. Nestle is a bummer, but they have strict quality control and a low amount of recalls.

catfooddb.com is a cool resource for checking this stuff out

edit: Purina not Putin goddammit spellcheck

owls or something fucked around with this message at 23:44 on May 5, 2022

drunken officeparty
Aug 23, 2006

owls or something posted:

catfooddb.com is a cool resource for checking this stuff out

According to this, every single brand I've ever seen in a grocery store is "below average" or "significantly below average" except blue buffalo which is "average". Whether it's just marketing and makes no difference at all it still makes me feel good to spend the few dollars more on it v:shobon:v

Deteriorata
Feb 6, 2005

drunken officeparty posted:

According to this, every single brand I've ever seen in a grocery store is "below average" or "significantly below average" except blue buffalo which is "average". Whether it's just marketing and makes no difference at all it still makes me feel good to spend the few dollars more on it v:shobon:v

Looking over catfooddb.com, it doesn't seem particularly meaningful. Half of the rating is a subjective evaluation of the "quality" of ingredients, which doesn't really mean anything.

Nutrition is all that actually matters, and that's regulated by law.

Martman
Nov 20, 2006

Human food is also regulated by law, and I'm guessing far more strictly than pet food. Does that mean human food is essentially all the same nutrition value?

Deteriorata
Feb 6, 2005

Martman posted:

Human food is also regulated by law, and I'm guessing far more strictly than pet food. Does that mean human food is essentially all the same nutrition value?

Pet food is regulated to contain all the necessary nutrients for a healthy diet by the FDA. Anything labeled "nutritionally complete" will have sufficient nutrients for your pet.

Human food is regulated by the USDA, mainly for purity and microbial infection. Maintaining a balanced diet with all the nutrients you need is left up to you, since you're supposed to be human and can figure that sort of thing out for yourself.

Martman
Nov 20, 2006

I'm pretty sure the Food and Drug Administration in fact regulates human food as well. Is a frozen TV dinner effectively the same as making that meal with fresh ingredients, just because they're all considered safe for human consumption and contain the same base nutrients?

Deteriorata
Feb 6, 2005

Martman posted:

I'm pretty sure the Food and Drug Administration in fact regulates human food as well. Is a frozen TV dinner effectively the same as making that meal with fresh ingredients, just because they're all considered safe for human consumption and contain the same base nutrients?

It seems that food for sea lions is unregulated, so there's not much more I can do for you.

Martman
Nov 20, 2006

That is just not what sea lioning is. I obviously think the answer to my rhetorical question is "no," but I'm using it as a comparison to point out that your argument is not very persuasive. Being regulated is barely enough to ensure the safety/quality/consistency of human food, let alone animals that the system doesn't give a poo poo about.

I'm not saying "spending more money means your animal will be healthier," and it would be great for there to be more science about this stuff in general, but food is very complicated.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Deteriorata
Feb 6, 2005

Martman posted:

That is just not what sea lioning is. I obviously think the answer to my rhetorical question is "no," but I'm using it as a comparison to point out that your argument is not very persuasive. Being regulated is barely enough to ensure the safety/quality/consistency of human food, let alone animals that the system doesn't give a poo poo about.

I'm not saying "spending more money means your animal will be healthier," and it would be great for there to be more science about this stuff in general, but food is very complicated.

You may want to do a bit of research into what is known about pet nutrition before you go dismissing 150 or so years of research out of hand.