Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

The Postman
May 12, 2007

nwin posted:

Hand grinding for pour over is much different/easier than espresso.

I use a c2 at work for my clever coffee dropper and it works great.

Oh neat. Speaking of, am I missing something about the grind size indicator on my C2? Part of the reason I haven't bothered to do a pour over is because I don't know how I'd actually know where my espresso grind was. Do you just need to count the clicks away from your starting point to know where to go back to?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

nwin
Feb 25, 2002

make's u think

The Postman posted:

Oh neat. Speaking of, am I missing something about the grind size indicator on my C2? Part of the reason I haven't bothered to do a pour over is because I don't know how I'd actually know where my espresso grind was. Do you just need to count the clicks away from your starting point to know where to go back to?

Yep. Dial it until the burrs touch and then count the clicks backward.

hypnophant
Oct 19, 2012

silvergoose posted:

Hmmm. That sure is making me consider upgrading from a skerton to the C2. I only make pourover, though, is it worth getting just for that?

the skerton isn’t bad but a steel-burred grinder is a quite noticeable upgrade, in both grind quality and time to grind

Oneiros
Jan 12, 2007

hand grinding 20g is easy and reasonably quick. now if you're doing it for multiple people and/or a second shot...

Mu Zeta
Oct 17, 2002

Me crush ass to dust

Don't buy a skerton under any circumstances. It is trash. Or the mini mill or any grinder from Hario.

Clark Nova
Jul 18, 2004

I can’t believe the skerton used to be one of the better hand grinder options :corsair:

hypnophant
Oct 19, 2012

Clark Nova posted:

I can’t believe the skerton used to be one of the better hand grinder options :corsair:

it wasn’t, really, but it was something you could buy while you were saving up $300 for a comandante

Oneiros
Jan 12, 2007

it was marginally better than one of those lil whirly blade "grinders" or buying preground

plus it was just kinda novel actually cranking out your cofffe

silvergoose
Mar 18, 2006

IT IS SAID THE TEARS OF THE BWEENIX CAN HEAL ALL WOUNDS

Oneiros posted:

it was marginally better than one of those lil whirly blade "grinders" or buying preground

plus it was just kinda novel actually cranking out your cofffe

As someone who went from preground -> whirly blade electric -> skerton, it was a good bit more than marginally better.

Mu Zeta
Oct 17, 2002

Me crush ass to dust

Yeah the skerton will produce solid results for a typical pour over and aeropress but my god using it sucks. Spend the extra $30 on a timemore.

Qylvaran
Mar 28, 2010

My Flair arrived today! 1st shot: drinkable! I've never made espresso before, so it will be a while before I can get anything amazing or even know what it would taste like if I did. Wish me luck in my new expensive hobby! :homebrew:

gwrtheyrn
Oct 21, 2010

AYYYE DEEEEE DUBBALYOO DA-NYAAAAAH!

hypnophant posted:

it wasn’t, really, but it was something you could buy while you were saving up $300 for a comandante

Pretty sure the hario mini-mill and skerton predated the commandante C40 by quite a long time. They were one of the best options...because they were one of the only options in that space.

mistermojo
Jul 3, 2004

what I've been doing lately is adding milk to a moka pot brew and its very delicious. and sometimes I even add ice cream for a kind of an affogato

hypnophant
Oct 19, 2012

gwrtheyrn posted:

Pretty sure the hario mini-mill and skerton predated the commandante C40 by quite a long time. They were one of the best options...because they were one of the only options in that space.

i think that’s probably right but back in the day you had to be a real weirdo to want to hand grind your coffee at all, and far fewer people were willing to daily drive it when the only choice was the various harios

silvergoose
Mar 18, 2006

hypnophant posted:

i think that’s probably right but back in the day you had to be a real weirdo to want to hand grind your coffee at all, and far fewer people were willing to daily drive it when the only choice was the various harios

I had and kinda still have no interest in taking up counter space with an electric grinder.

gwrtheyrn
Oct 21, 2010

hypnophant posted:

I mean going that far back, grinding your own coffee with anything was relatively weird. And even then, spending the extra for a burr grinder was even weirder, especially since the capresso infinity was probably just about the only affordable option at the time--the encore is also relatively new.

Like amazon is saying the mini mill has been around since 2003. That was a long time ago.

silvergoose posted:

I had and kinda still have no interest in taking up counter space with an electric grinder.

If I had to choose between a skerton and my encore, I'd probably still choose the encore. I would and did take my 1z over both

hypnophant
Oct 19, 2012

silvergoose posted:

almost all home electric grinders can be unplugged and put away when you’re done

gwrtheyrn
Oct 21, 2010

hypnophant posted:

almost all home electric grinders can be unplugged and put away when you’re done

Substitute counter space with cabinet space

Mu Zeta
Oct 17, 2002

Me crush ass to dust

Maybe i'm nuts but I swear my pour over tastes better when I manually grind. It's like I earned that hot mug that day.

silvergoose
Mar 18, 2006

Speaking of which, trip report for pour over with my new C2

The grind looked way more uniform, smaller (I suspect my skerton setting was too large), felt nicer to grind, and very little was stuck on the bottom.

Pouring it looked more like what I see in videos y'all link, again probably due to size.

I can taste the difference, more flavor coming through.

Mr. Mambold
Feb 13, 2011

Aha. Nice post.

mistermojo posted:

what I've been doing lately is adding milk to a moka pot brew and its very delicious. and sometimes I even add ice cream for a kind of an affogato

affogato sounds like an Italian cuss so I can't help visualizing hand gestures with it.

Qylvaran
Mar 28, 2010

Just a quick heads up about the newer pressurized portafilter in the Flair Neo: While it allows you to remove the pressure nozzle for cleaning, you can't really use it like a naked portafilter or it will make a mess all over your Flair and your countertop. Ask me how I know.

Kilazar
Mar 23, 2010
Didn't see it in the OP. Any suggestions on storing ground coffee?

I do not grind my own. I buy pre packaged fresh ground bi weekly from my local coffee shop. They put it in a thick opaque ziplock bag with a degasser.

Is that enough or should I get some kind of vacuum jar? And if yes, a recommendation would be welcome.

hypnophant
Oct 19, 2012

Kilazar posted:

I do not grind my own. I buy pre packaged fresh ground bi weekly from my local coffee shop. They put it in a thick opaque ziplock bag with a degasser.

Is that enough or should I get some kind of vacuum jar? And if yes, a recommendation would be welcome.

i like the fellow atmos vacuum jar, but it’s a pretty minor thing even for whole bean and i am sure you would not notice the difference at all with week old preground. oxo and progressive also make nice airtight but not vacuum containers. buy it for the convenience factor basically

Bryter
Nov 6, 2011

but since we are small we may-
uh, we may be the losers

Kilazar posted:

Can you taste an appreciable difference between the day you buy it and the day you finish a bag?

Pilfered Pallbearers
Aug 2, 2007

Kilazar posted:

Ground coffee looses all the good stuff much quicker, so I would assume that a container is more important that for whole bean.

Here is Hoffmann’s video where he tests a bunch of containers. It shows differences and how much and why.

https://youtu.be/K0JWuhE8a-w

Kilazar
Mar 23, 2010

Bryter posted:

Can you taste an appreciable difference between the day you buy it and the day you finish a bag?

Yes I can. Though it is not such a difference to deter me from making it. It's a bit more bitter by the end of the bag so I have to use more than just a teaspoon of half n half.

We go two weeks to a bag.

BrianBoitano
Nov 15, 2006

this is fine

Favorite descaler? I don't need it for my brewer (flair, no scale) but my kettle and my baby food steamer both need a clean.

I think I've seen cafiza mentioned, but didn't know if that was just the ubiquitous one or the actual favorite.

Pilfered Pallbearers
Aug 2, 2007

BrianBoitano posted:

Favorite descaler? I don't need it for my brewer (flair, no scale) but my kettle and my baby food steamer both need a clean.

I think I've seen cafiza mentioned, but didn't know if that was just the ubiquitous one or the actual favorite.

For something as sensitive as a baby food steamer I’d be inclined to use just vinegar and water rather than a chemical.

Cafiza is what I have for my machine.

Edit: whoops I use cafiza for backflush, dezcal for descaling

Pilfered Pallbearers fucked around with this message at 23:29 on May 1, 2022

gwrtheyrn
Oct 21, 2010

Vinegar is a chemical folks. PBW is the brewing equivalent, which is what i use because I already have a couple pounds of it on hand. OxyClean free is commonly used as a substitute for PBW for people who are looking to save a little money.

Similarly, buying generic citric acid instead of something sold as descaler is a little cheaper.

hypnophant
Oct 19, 2012

BrianBoitano posted:

cafiza isn’t descaler, it’s for cleaning oils off group heads and portafilters and stuff. dezcal is the descaler from the same manufacturer but it’s mostly citric acid and any other citric acid will work as well.

Jhet
Jun 3, 2013

gwrtheyrn posted:

Vinegar is a chemical folks. PBW is the brewing equivalent, which is what i use because I already have a couple pounds of it on hand. OxyClean free is commonly used as a substitute for PBW for people who are looking to save a little money.

Similarly, buying generic citric acid instead of something sold as descaler is a little cheaper.

PBW/Oxiclean are basic, vinegar is an acid. The first are surfactants and cleaners, and the vinegar/citric will descale what's left behind by reacting with scale. They're both very useful, but PBW/Oxiclean are in the same category as something like Joe Glo detergent and even contain the same chemicals (in different amounts). So don't trust that it'll descale your machine, it's for another purpose.

gwrtheyrn
Oct 21, 2010

Jhet posted:

PBW/Oxiclean are basic, vinegar is an acid. The first are surfactants and cleaners, and the vinegar/citric will descale what's left behind by reacting with scale. They're both very useful, but PBW/Oxiclean are in the same category as something like Joe Glo detergent and even contain the same chemicals (in different amounts). So don't trust that it'll descale your machine, it's for another purpose.

Cafiza is also basic OP

Like i googled and it looks like it literally has NaOH

That is still to say that those are substitutable products, but for descaling you want citric acid based products

gwrtheyrn fucked around with this message at 22:06 on May 1, 2022

BrianBoitano
Nov 15, 2006

this is fine

Thanks all! I actually have citric acid from modernist messing about, so that's very helpful 😊

Pilfered Pallbearers
Aug 2, 2007

Looking for some suggestions on how to fix this. I’ve wasted so much drat good coffee and I feel like I’m going insane.

I use an encore for espresso. Previously, I was using some light roast beans, grinding at about an 8. Was dialed in pretty well.

I adjusted the grinder to about 25 for a pour over, and then afterwards every shot I ground around 8 (same beans, a day later) channeled immediately and was like 30 out in 8 seconds.

Thinking something was wrong, I descaled and backflushed (Breville infuser), and took apart and cleaned the burrs. Same exact thing.

At grind 4 it still channels (albeit less), and at grind 2 it finally chokes (mostly, it does like 15g in 30 seconds). The thing is, at grind 4, the grinds feel so much more powdery then they did before this started occurring. That’s why I can’t figure out if it’s the grinder, or the espresso machine, or how in the gently caress I troubleshoot or fix this.

I tried with some very dark roast old garbage beans I had, and those choked at like grind 5, where previously those would choke at like 8 or 9.

Bryter
Nov 6, 2011

but since we are small we may-
uh, we may be the losers

Kilazar posted:

Yes I can. Though it is not such a difference to deter me from making it. It's a bit more bitter by the end of the bag so I have to use more than just a teaspoon of half n half.

We go two weeks to a bag.

Oh right, for some reason I had it in my head that you meant twice a week.

I have a vacuum container for my beans and to be honest the only difference I notice is that it makes more satisfying noises. Maybe grounds will be different, but if you really want fresher tasting coffee a grinder would be a much more worthwhile investment than fancy storage solution, imo

hypnophant
Oct 19, 2012

Pilfered Pallbearers posted:

Looking for some suggestions on how to fix this. I’ve wasted so much drat good coffee and I feel like I’m going insane.

I use an encore for espresso. Previously, I was using some light roast beans, grinding at about an 8. Was dialed in pretty well.

I adjusted the grinder to about 25 for a pour over, and then afterwards every shot I ground around 8 (same beans, a day later) channeled immediately and was like 30 out in 8 seconds.

Thinking something was wrong, I descaled and backflushed (Breville infuser), and took apart and cleaned the burrs. Same exact thing.

At grind 4 it still channels (albeit less), and at grind 2 it finally chokes (mostly, it does like 15g in 30 seconds). The thing is, at grind 4, the grinds feel so much more powdery then they did before this started occurring. That’s why I can’t figure out if it’s the grinder, or the espresso machine, or how in the gently caress I troubleshoot or fix this.

I tried with some very dark roast old garbage beans I had, and those choked at like grind 5, where previously those would choke at like 8 or 9.

That’s incredibly frustrating. My first thought is that if you’re getting channeling when you weren’t before, and your puck prep hasn’t changed, and your machine settings haven’t changed, it must be the grinder. One tip is that when you adjust a grinder closer, you usually want to do so while it’s running. The reason is that you could have a bean fragment wedged in between the burrs, which would force them out of alignment or possibly even damage them when you tighten the gap if the machine isn’t running. So the first thing I’d do would be to physically remove the burrs, inspect them for damage, inspect the mounts for damage, and then clean everything as thoroughly as I could before reinstalling, making sure to seat them firm and level. (I’d do this even if I knew about the tip, mostly because I don’t have any better ideas right now :geno:) This might not get you exactly the same results with the same settings you had before, since I doubt the encore burr alignment is all that repeatable, but it might fix it enough to get you good results again.

Sweeper
Nov 29, 2007
The Joe Buck of Posting
Dinosaur Gum

Pilfered Pallbearers posted:

Every once in a while I’ll get some beans (I use trade, so new coffee regularly) which I cannot dial in on my grinder / machine. Never chokes, go coarse, fine, lots of coffee, minimal coffee, I’ve never figured it out. I generally just mess around with it until I’m out of beans and the next bag comes in and everything works reasonably once more. Very confusing and frustrating! So maybe chalk it up to annoying beans?

Pilfered Pallbearers
Aug 2, 2007

Sweeper posted:

Every once in a while I’ll get some beans (I use trade, so new coffee regularly) which I cannot dial in on my grinder / machine. Never chokes, go coarse, fine, lots of coffee, minimal coffee, I’ve never figured it out. I generally just mess around with it until I’m out of beans and the next bag comes in and everything works reasonably once more. Very confusing and frustrating! So maybe chalk it up to annoying beans?

I tried 2 different sets of beans, so I don’t think so. These beans were also fine for 1.5lbs of coffee.

hypnophant posted:

That’s incredibly frustrating. My first thought is that if you’re getting channeling when you weren’t before, and your puck prep hasn’t changed, and your machine settings haven’t changed, it must be the grinder. One tip is that when you adjust a grinder closer, you usually want to do so while it’s running. The reason is that you could have a bean fragment wedged in between the burrs, which would force them out of alignment or possibly even damage them when you tighten the gap if the machine isn’t running. So the first thing I’d do would be to physically remove the burrs, inspect them for damage, inspect the mounts for damage, and then clean everything as thoroughly as I could before reinstalling, making sure to seat them firm and level. (I’d do this even if I knew about the tip, mostly because I don’t have any better ideas right now :geno:) This might not get you exactly the same results with the same settings you had before, since I doubt the encore burr alignment is all that repeatable, but it might fix it enough to get you good results again.

I was unaware of the change grind setting while running thing.

I did pull the grinder apart, cleaned the burrs very thoroughly, and looked for damage to the burrs and associated stuff and didn’t see any.

I don’t really care about repeatable because I change beans frequently, I just want the drat thing to work.

I imagine you’re right about loving up the alignment. I’ll have to see if there’s a way to fix that.

Now that I think about it, I’ve actually had this grinder less than a year. Should I contact baratza?

Pilfered Pallbearers fucked around with this message at 15:49 on May 2, 2022

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

George H.W. Cunt
Oct 6, 2010

Have you tried the multi step mod for dialing in the fiber end? You can get passable espresso but those fine adjustments are why it’s considered not a great pick for espresso. It could be the beans, freshness, whatever are just sitting between the two adjustments that it craves.