Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Kaza42
Oct 3, 2013

Blood and Souls and all that
Black Order is very good, but I definitely wouldn't call them consensus best. They also have a very small roster, tied for smallest with Wakanda

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

DLC Inc
Jun 1, 2011

yeah Black Order is kind of costly with their leader so you can compete with them easily when you have a larger roster

Slandible
Apr 30, 2008

BO is defined by one list and 3 characters in only a handful of scenarios. I am hoping this expands them more to be more flexible of an affiliation.

Dawgstar
Jul 15, 2017

I had some small hope it was Moondragon and Phyla but while I’m disappointed they aren’t I also don’t have to buy them.

CapnAndy
Feb 27, 2004

Some teeth long for ripping, gleaming wet from black dog gums. So you keep your eyes closed at the end. You don't want to see such a mouth up close. before the bite, before its oblivion in the goring of your soft parts, the speckled lips will curl back in a whinny of excitement. You just know it.
First, a small rules question: how do you calculate "half" your team for if it's, to borrow a term, a theme team or not? By points or by figures? If I'm playing five figures who total 15 points, do I need at least 8 points or 3 figures to share an affiliation?

Secondly, I got the core set and am working my way through assembly, and may I just say to whoever the gently caress decided that Baron Zemo's elbow pads needed to be separate parts too tiny to even be picked up with tweezers, and that also they should give you four of them just so you don't notice at first, force the wrong pad onto an arm, only notice later, and have to break it off -- gently caress you, buddy. That wasn't cool.

Thirsty Dog
May 31, 2007

CapnAndy posted:

First, a small rules question: how do you calculate "half" your team for if it's, to borrow a term, a theme team or not? By points or by figures? If I'm playing five figures who total 15 points, do I need at least 8 points or 3 figures to share an affiliation?

Secondly, I got the core set and am working my way through assembly, and may I just say to whoever the gently caress decided that Baron Zemo's elbow pads needed to be separate parts too tiny to even be picked up with tweezers, and that also they should give you four of them just so you don't notice at first, force the wrong pad onto an arm, only notice later, and have to break it off -- gently caress you, buddy. That wasn't cool.

1) Number of models:

quote:

For a squad to use a squad affiliation, more than half of its characters must share the same squad affiliation (that is, be part of the same Affiliation).

2) yeah, there's a few things like that which are incredibly annoying given how well the rest of the process works. Will repeat my strong recommendation to use a proper plastic glue with a needle applicator like this one: https://www.amazon.co.uk/Revell-Contacta-Liquid-Professional-Applicator/dp/B000RMJ2H8/r - it doesn't solve the problem of the tiny parts but it does make everything else a much smoother and less frustrating process.

Shrecknet
Jan 2, 2005

CapnAndy posted:

may I just say to whoever the gently caress decided that Baron Zemo's elbow pads needed to be separate parts too tiny to even be picked up with tweezers, and that also they should give you four of them just so you don't notice at first, force the wrong pad onto an arm, only notice later, and have to break it off -- gently caress you, buddy. That wasn't cool.
on a per-affiliation basis, Guardians is the absolute worst on models. Nebulas connection to her base is on her toe, Star-Lords ball-bearing sized head is in four pieces and Angela is spindly af too.
Gamoras sword hands essentially must be pinned to stay on.
when you think of Guardians being forced to improvise, it goes beyond flavor and in to assembly!

Thirsty Dog
May 31, 2007

Nebula's isn't her toe, the connection point is a chunk of the sceney. Yes, the toe is a weak point, but you're actually glueing a decent sized block into the base terrain rather than glueing the toe to the base terrain.

Zuul the Cat
Dec 24, 2006

Grimey Drawer
The only model I've hated putting together is Jean Grey's stupid psychic power thingy

KingMob
Feb 12, 2004
Et In Arcadia Ego

Zuul the Cat posted:

The only model I've hated putting together is Jean Grey's stupid psychic power thingy

I'm right there with you. I just couldn't wrap my head around it, so she got some leftover Magneto base trash to support her.

KingMob fucked around with this message at 23:55 on Apr 26, 2022

Maneck
Sep 11, 2011

Thirsty Dog posted:

Nebula's isn't her toe, the connection point is a chunk of the sceney. Yes, the toe is a weak point, but you're actually glueing a decent sized block into the base terrain rather than glueing the toe to the base terrain.

At first. Then the toe breaks off the terrain thing. Then the toe needs to be glued to the terrain thing which was originally glued to the bigger terrain thing.

Thirsty Dog
May 31, 2007

Maneck posted:

At first. Then the toe breaks off the terrain thing. Then the toe needs to be glued to the terrain thing which was originally glued to the bigger terrain thing.

That thankfully hasn't happened to me, but that's a weak point (like a particularly thin arm) not a connection point you're trying to glue. It's actually a really easy bit of assembly and a decent alternative to the actually ridiculous "you want me to glue WHAT" examples of stuff in MCP like Shuri's guns

Hoboskins
Aug 31, 2006

there is a rumour going around that I have found God. I think this is unlikely because I have enough difficulty finding my keys, and there is empirical evidence that they exist
generally find the terrain parts or power effects just need their instructions to show more photos from different angles. I spent ages trying to figure out exactly where the Lizard is supposed to join to the water effect.

DLC Inc
Jun 1, 2011

Shrecknet posted:

on a per-affiliation basis, Guardians is the absolute worst on models. Nebulas connection to her base is on her toe, Star-Lords ball-bearing sized head is in four pieces and Angela is spindly af too.
Gamoras sword hands essentially must be pinned to stay on.
when you think of Guardians being forced to improvise, it goes beyond flavor and in to assembly!

Star-Lord was one of the first miniatures I EVER assembled. Figured "let's get a single figure instead of two, and this one is the cheapest available!" BIG mistake lol.

I think I've just had bad luck selecting some of the more difficult models to build especially earlier on, many of them afterwards were quite simple "4 limbs and a head on a bisected body" affairs.

grassy gnoll
Aug 27, 2006

The pawsting business is tough work.

Hoboskins posted:

generally find the terrain parts or power effects just need their instructions to show more photos from different angles. I spent ages trying to figure out exactly where the Lizard is supposed to join to the water effect.

I was struggling with this just a day or two ago. One of the fronts plugs into his calf and the curly part in back attaches to the lab coat, right? It's really shockingly unclear.

Hoboskins
Aug 31, 2006

there is a rumour going around that I have found God. I think this is unlikely because I have enough difficulty finding my keys, and there is empirical evidence that they exist
I think so. They really need to just show more than 1 angle or better yet make a tutorial film it and put it on youtube for free? They do painting vids.

Shrecknet
Jan 2, 2005

i am a bad painter but I also painted my first model in February and this is where I am now (I am never repainting that horrible Doc Ock I did with a friend's craft-store paint and dollar-store brushes, it is unspiration incarnate (also no you can't see it))

Only registered members can see post attachments!

I R SMART LIKE ROCK
Mar 10, 2003

I just want a hug.

Fun Shoe
nice separation of colors!

one thing that's hard to remember is that in person no one is looking at your models from 4" away. generally speaking it'll be from the top down view and like 2'-4' range. so all the nitpicky things you see most people won't

glad you stuck with and I look forward to more progress pics

Feeple
Jul 17, 2004

My favorite part of this hobby is the rules arguments.

Shrecknet posted:

i am a bad painter but I also painted my first model in February and this is where I am now (I am never repainting that horrible Doc Ock I did with a friend's craft-store paint and dollar-store brushes, it is unspiration incarnate (also no you can't see it))

Lookin' good!

Shrecknet
Jan 2, 2005

I R SMART LIKE ROCK posted:

one thing that's hard to remember is that in person no one is looking at your models from 4" away. generally speaking it'll be from the top down view and like 2'-4' range. so all the nitpicky things you see most people won't

glad you stuck with and I look forward to more progress pics
Yeah her cape looks really good and cool from across the table and I'm really happy with how the "love smoke" blending turned out. Still can't do faces, whenever I try and use a flesh wash it turns into a brown domino mask over their eyes.

I started using Turbonerd metallic glazes over my stuff and it really makes them pop compared to flat acrylics and the contrast between her shimmering cape and the matte love smoke is cool.

Shrecknet
Jan 2, 2005

ᶦ ᵃᵐ ᵍʳᵒᵒᵗ

Only registered members can see post attachments!

DLC Inc
Jun 1, 2011

Looks like we're getting Heimdall and Skurge to round out the Asgard affiliation. I feel bad that Wakanda probably will always be the tiniest team as I'm not sure who else they could add.

Pretty sure they're doing these one-off reveals for Black Order/Asgard to make room for the bigger Ministravaganza reveals next month and I'd bet anything it's going to be X-Men, primarily Nightcrawler/Shadowcat/Jubilee/Psylocke, most of whom were teased at the last reveal of X-men when one of the guys pointed to his shirt and mentioned them.

Dawgstar
Jul 15, 2017

DLC Inc posted:

Looks like we're getting Heimdall and Skurge to round out the Asgard affiliation. I feel bad that Wakanda probably will always be the tiniest team as I'm not sure who else they could add.

Aside from M'Baku I'm not sure who they might do.

rantmo
Jul 30, 2003

A smile better suits a hero

Dawgstar posted:

Aside from M'Baku I'm not sure who they might do.

Gentle is the first name that comes to mind, though even by X-Men standards he's fairly obscure. Hunter AKA White Wolf, T'Challa's adopted brother and sometimes adversary who's in charge of the Hatut Zeraze (Wakandan secret police) would be another one. Last one would be Ayo, the former Dora Milaje who started the Midnight Angels in the early part of Coates' first volume.

smug jeebus
Oct 26, 2008
If I've learned anything from hanging out with comic nerds, it's that there's always more characters that I haven't heard of.

Also Storm, maybe?

Thirsty Dog
May 31, 2007

smug jeebus posted:

If I've learned anything from hanging out with comic nerds, it's that there's always more characters that I haven't heard of.

Also Storm, maybe?

Storm's already in as a Wakandan.

Nakia? Achebe?

long-ass nips Diane
Dec 13, 2010

Breathe.

In non-official news we got leaks for the Winter Guard. I wonder if the war and these being in the pipeline is what screwed up a lot of their messaging schedule for a few months there.

DLC Inc
Jun 1, 2011

man I thought Honey Badger, Black Swan, Cassandra Nova and even Shadowland Daredevil were deep cuts for AMG but those picks are proof they're firmly big fans of the comic books (though it helps Red Guardian was in a film.)

Ursa Major would be loving hilarious if he was a Hood situation with transformed/human dual miniatures. Just put a big ol bear on the table. I have no idea who the gently caress Darkstar is, guess they were unfortunately putting together a Russian superteam affiliation and then the Ukraine stuff happened. I was just thinking about how it would be cool to see Crimson Dynamo in the game the other day.

I'm still holding my breath for stuff like a 3-miniature box of Jamie Madrox, a Hobgoblin/Demogoblin transformation character, Abomination so villains can have their own Hulk, and Xorn (complete with a tactics card that, for 10 power, reveals/turns him into Magneto LOL)

Shrecknet
Jan 2, 2005

Multiple Man is gonna have himself as grunts

DLC Inc
Jun 1, 2011

https://twitter.com/atomicmassgames/status/1523671648997625856?s=20

Heimdall's rainbow bridge stuff is sick. Skurge's "butcher smock in Pride Day colors" scheme they did here is hilarious.

1000% replacing that typical debris under his foot with a bloodied, decapitated Warhammer model.

Yvonmukluk
Oct 10, 2012

Everything is Sinister

DLC Inc posted:

https://twitter.com/atomicmassgames/status/1523671648997625856?s=20

Heimdall's rainbow bridge stuff is sick. Skurge's "butcher smock in Pride Day colors" scheme they did here is hilarious.

1000% replacing that typical debris under his foot with a bloodied, decapitated Warhammer model.

I’m pretty sure that shade of pink was the one Kurge’s emblem always was. Including when he stood alone at Gjallerbru, show some respect.

Fyrbrand
Dec 30, 2002

Grimey Drawer
I've had very little time to paint and less to play, but I finished this big boi recently:

Ashcans
Jan 2, 2006

Let's do the space-time warp again!

I bought this game probably when it was released but simply didn't play it until the past couple weeks. It's fun! I had a very fumbly game with my kid using the intro scenario in the box, then had a real game at the local store against Dormammu and Too Many Wizards. I lost but was only 2 points down so feel pretty good about it anyway.

I'm really enjoying the mechanics, the game does a good job of capturing some of the cinematic feel of fights while still feeling like good mechanics. Currently addicted to throwing terrain at people, because it's awesome.

Obviously I already want to expand, and while it makes sense to build on the Avengers of Cabal from what you get in the core, I'm a sucker for just getting characters I like, so I was thinking about getting the two Spider boxes to basically give me most of Web Warriors. I think my other inclination would be for Uncanny X-Men just because of nostalgia, but without Angel and Iceman it just doesn't feel the same. Any reason not to dive into Web Warriors?

long-ass nips Diane
Dec 13, 2010

Breathe.

Web warriors are super cool, just be aware that they trend towards a more control-focused play style which may or may not be your thing.

Also Black Cat is bananas good so definitely get that box.

Dawgstar
Jul 15, 2017

long-rear end nips Diane posted:

Web warriors are super cool, just be aware that they trend towards a more control-focused play style which may or may not be your thing.

Yeah, with Web Warriors your thing should be using like Black Cat and Ghost-Spider to yoink the objectives in the opponent's deployment area and then run back so you can snatch members of the other team headed towards you and gang up on them since you don't hit as hard as other factions.

Feeple
Jul 17, 2004

My favorite part of this hobby is the rules arguments.
If you're addicted to chucking terrain, look into magneto and rogue.

theironjef
Aug 11, 2009

The archmage of unexpected stinks.

Thirsty Dog posted:

Storm's already in as a Wakandan.

Nakia? Achebe?

There's also W'Kabi. He could even be another mounted guy like Ghost Rider, put him on his rhino.

Thirsty Dog
May 31, 2007

theironjef posted:

There's also W'Kabi. He could even be another mounted guy like Ghost Rider, put him on his rhino.

Does he have the rhino in the comics? They're trying to avoid being a little too close to the MCU I think

Ashcans
Jan 2, 2006

Let's do the space-time warp again!

long-rear end nips Diane posted:

Also Black Cat is bananas good so definitely get that box.
I looked up their cards and it's very fast with a lot of movement and placement stuff, so it definitely seems more complicated than 'hit it with a truck'. But it also looks fun and very good for the objectives you grab. I guess Venom is the real tank/beater of the affiliation?

Feeple posted:

If you're addicted to chucking terrain, look into magneto and rogue.
I'm impressed by Magneto's variable-power throw, and Rogue is definitely a powerhouse. I'm allowed to include them in rosters where they aren't the majority affiliation right? I am not sure that makes sense but it's good to know.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

I R SMART LIKE ROCK
Mar 10, 2003

I just want a hug.

Fun Shoe
you can include characters as long as 51% of your roster is your primary affiliation. web heads generally want more models over higher threat models so justifying a 6 threat for magneto is a bit tough. they are a very good faction with a ton of displacement tools and get black cat for stealing extracts in faction

I'm currently playing brotherhood. so I get the draw of Magnus tho