Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.
Who will win the federal Election
This poll is closed.
Labor Majority 48 42.48%
Labor Minority 29 25.66%
Liberal Majority 3 2.65%
Liberal Minority 12 10.62%
UAP Majoirty 21 18.58%
Total: 113 votes
[Edit Poll (moderators only)]

dr_rat
Jun 4, 2001

Bargearse posted:

Even Howard was capable of showing genuine leadership from time to time.

The gun ban was some legit good leadership. Can't think of anything else off the top of my head, but yeah at least gotta give him that.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

lih
May 15, 2013

Just a friendly reminder of what it looks like.

We'll do punctuation later.
abbott was significantly worse than morrison - just look at the 2014 budget, real hardline ideologue stuff, gigantic cuts everywhere, directly broke all his election promises - this is what the liberals truly want to do if given the chance and we were just lucky that abbott and hockey were too stupid to wait until they had a favourable senate to go charging ahead. highlights included wanting to completely remove bulk billing for GPs and pathology and completely cut unemployment benefits for people under 30 for the first 6 months while still requiring them to complete all the mandatory JSP bullshit. thankfully the abbott government showed pretty much no ability to negotiate with the senate crossbench effectively and failed to pass most of their key legislation. he was extremely ineffective and unpopular and absolutely would have lost the 2016 election had turnbull not rolled him.

morrison on the other hand is slimy and has little serious agenda beyond staying in power. he's fairly pragmatic and has largely avoided hardline policies like abbott's that would be extremely unpopular, preferring to try to just chip away around the edges where he sees opportunities to make things worse. also has at the very least "didn't totally gently caress up covid" going for him

Regular Wario
Mar 27, 2010

Slippery Tilde

Amoeba102 posted:

Is there a way in which Abbott was worse than Morrison?

does not having the punchable smirk count?

hambeet
Sep 13, 2002

mahershalalhashbaz posted:

so help me there is no hope for this political system. it's all just going to fall apart in the next drought and then it's going to be every town for itself lol

Yeah nah

hambeet
Sep 13, 2002

Tony Abbott only seems more dastardly and capable as he had the likes of Julie Bishop and Christopher Pyne and such behind him. Anyone of merit left last election expecting a wipe out.

Imagine scomo with an effective cabinet. We would be in far worse a place.

SecretOfSteel
Apr 29, 2007

The secret of steel has always
carried with it a mystery.

lih posted:

abbott was significantly worse than morrison - just look at the 2014 budget, real hardline ideologue stuff, gigantic cuts everywhere, directly broke all his election promises - this is what the liberals truly want to do if given the chance and we were just lucky that abbott and hockey were too stupid to wait until they had a favourable senate to go charging ahead. highlights included wanting to completely remove bulk billing for GPs and pathology and completely cut unemployment benefits for people under 30 for the first 6 months while still requiring them to complete all the mandatory JSP bullshit. thankfully the abbott government showed pretty much no ability to negotiate with the senate crossbench effectively and failed to pass most of their key legislation. he was extremely ineffective and unpopular and absolutely would have lost the 2016 election had turnbull not rolled him.

morrison on the other hand is slimy and has little serious agenda beyond staying in power. he's fairly pragmatic and has largely avoided hardline policies like abbott's that would be extremely unpopular, preferring to try to just chip away around the edges where he sees opportunities to make things worse. also has at the very least "didn't totally gently caress up covid" going for him

Jesus Christ, I actually forgot about that under 30 - 6 months bullshit. Where on earth do they actually expect that position to lead? Full employment as dole-bludgers get off their bums and become productive members of society? Full employment as desperate people take whatever position they can for whatever they can? Crime because a normal person would drat themselves over damning their loved ones?

I remember him being a oval office, but I guess I forgot the details...

EoinCannon
Aug 29, 2008

Grimey Drawer
Abbott was worse but there's a kind of charisma to someone who actually believes in something, even if it's awful. Morrison doesn't have that

freebooter
Jul 7, 2009

lih posted:

also has at the very least "didn't totally gently caress up covid" going for him

Abbott on the other hand was a let-her-rip advocate

https://thewest.com.au/business/tony-abbott-criticises-australias-covid-19-response-slams-rules-as-oppressive-c-4189638

Beffer
Sep 25, 2007

dr_rat posted:

The gun ban was some legit good leadership. Can't think of anything else off the top of my head, but yeah at least gotta give him that.

Howard's sole other decent piece of leadership was the $1billion aid to Indonesia in response to the Boxing Day tsunami. It positively reset our relationship with our biggest neighbour and was the right thing to do. On the other hand he was a racist piece of poo poo so....

lih
May 15, 2013

hambeet posted:

Tony Abbott only seems more dastardly and capable as he had the likes of Julie Bishop and Christopher Pyne and such behind him. Anyone of merit left last election expecting a wipe out.

Imagine scomo with an effective cabinet. We would be in far worse a place.

nearly all the high profile liberal retirements at the last election were moderates who supported turnbull. kinda get the impression that turnbull getting rolled made it clear to them that moderates like them were never going to comfortably have power within the party and thus there was no room for their ambitions at all - bishop and pyne very obviously had leadership ambitions but if turnbull couldn't make things work as leader they were never going to be able to.

Senor Tron
May 26, 2006

Howard did irreparable damage to Australia, but most of that was intentional, part of a vision for what his government wanted the country to be.

I disagree with most of the changes he made, but for his supporters at least they could point to how Australia had been changed by his time in power.

Since 2013, with 9 years of power, what has the Abbott/Turnbull/Morrison government actually done? What's their legacy?

NPR Journalizard
Feb 14, 2008

Senor Tron posted:

Since 2013, with 9 years of power, what has the Abbott/Turnbull/Morrison government actually done? What's their legacy?

https://www.mdavis.xyz/govlist/

Enjoy

Launchpad McQuack
Oct 21, 2010

dr_rat posted:

Gun ban was just propaganda, Australia, especially rural Australia, is full of guns, always has been, always will be full of guns.

Bill Posters
Apr 27, 2007

I'm tripping right now... Don't fuck this up for me.

Beffer posted:

On the other hand he was is a racist piece of poo poo so....

Unfortunately that's still current tense.

Beffer
Sep 25, 2007

Launchpad McQuack posted:

Gun ban was just propaganda, Australia, especially rural Australia, is full of guns, always has been, always will be full of guns.

Semi automatic rifles? Pistols?

Laserface
Dec 24, 2004

my friend lives in the inner city of Sydney and has several competition pistols and about 6 rifles. All of them legal/registered, but yeah. lotsa guns out there.

he is one of about 6 guys i know with guns.

Destrado
Feb 9, 2001

I thought, What a nice little city, it suits me fine. It suited me fine so I started to change it.

Laserface posted:

my friend lives in the inner city of Sydney and has several competition pistols and about 6 rifles. All of them legal/registered, but yeah. lotsa guns out there.

he is one of about 6 guys i know with guns.

Yes unfortunately we didn't ban guns as a concept and many of them still exist, clearly the whole gun regulation thing was a failure.

ColtMcAsskick
Nov 7, 2010
The Sydney Harbour Bridge has a pistol range in it too, would you believe it. Guns are still everywhere

hooman
Oct 11, 2007

This guy seems legit.
Fun Shoe
The most positive thing I can say about Howard is that he was competent in executing his vision and selling those changes.

The vision was dogshit and the changes loving dire, but he wasn't toxic, a complete buffoon, or spineless which all of his successsors have been some combination of.

The destruction of the higher education system he wrought is the seed of the crisis we are seeing there today. This applies to a bunch of other things as well. gently caress that guy, I wish he'd been more of a vapid dickhead.

Animal Friend
Sep 7, 2011

so help me there is no hope for this political system. it's all just going to fall apart in the next drought and then it's going to be every town for itself lol

ColtMcAsskick posted:

Guns are still everywhere

Regular Wario
Mar 27, 2010

Slippery Tilde

ColtMcAsskick posted:

The Sydney Harbour Bridge has a pistol range in it too, would you believe it. Guns are still everywhere

Like in one of the pylons?

lih
May 15, 2013

https://twitter.com/cameronwilson/status/1519837480979091456

one of the death threats cited by deves (she has specifically named this tweet in media outlets) turned out to be from an obvious false-flag troll account in 2021

mahershalalhashbaz
Jul 22, 2021

Konomex posted:

I wouldn't besmirch the left.
they will be besmirched with blood

ColtMcAsskick
Nov 7, 2010

SuddenCactus posted:

Like in one of the pylons?

Old tram tunnel on the city side, near the stairs

NPR Journalizard
Feb 14, 2008

hooman posted:

The most positive thing I can say about Howard is that he was competent in executing his vision and selling those changes.

The vision was dogshit and the changes loving dire, but he wasn't toxic, a complete buffoon, or spineless which all of his successsors have been some combination of.

The destruction of the higher education system he wrought is the seed of the crisis we are seeing there today. This applies to a bunch of other things as well. gently caress that guy, I wish he'd been more of a vapid dickhead.

But asked about the growing pressure on home buyers, he (Howard) said: “I don’t accept there is a housing crisis.”

“The cost of housing in this country is much higher than we would like, but a lot of the reasons for housing being expensive in Australia has been baked into the system over the years."

The system is working as intended, because he set it up that way.

Animal Friend
Sep 7, 2011

https://twitter.com/AlboMP/status/1519805822129569793

mahershalalhashbaz
Jul 22, 2021

are the greens doing anything right now? i am only consuming mainstream media for research purposes, nobody in any publication is really doing anything to help the greens. what are they promising the people? their promises aren't getting through

mahershalalhashbaz
Jul 22, 2021

hambeet posted:

Yeah nah
hambeet you are an old man. you are a lord of the land. don't talk to me about small town disaster preparedness

because!

Launchpad McQuack posted:

mahershalalhashbaz fucked around with this message at 02:00 on Apr 29, 2022

mahershalalhashbaz
Jul 22, 2021

albo doesn't even want to be pm. he wants to retire to the coast and die quietly

GoldStandardConure
Jun 11, 2010

I have to kill fast
and mayflies too slow

Pillbug

are the greens doing anything right now? i am only consuming mainstream media for research purposes, nobody in any publication is really doing anything to help the greens. what are they promising the people? their promises aren't getting through

Adam Bandt was on Hack the other week, and Jordon Steele John was on Hack last night, thats about all the main stream media I consume (and its still poo poo, but significantly less poo poo now they hosed Tom Tilley off).

The Greens have a good series of policies this year, dental & mental health added to Medicare, abolishing student debt, free tafe & uni, investing in social & affordable housing, but yeah getting any air play with that is basically impossible. Having to rely on social media and doorknocks to get the message out, like usual.

Don Dongington
Sep 27, 2005

#ideasboom
College Slice
Albo pretty clearly wants to be PM, or he wouldn't be compromising on long held Labor left positions under the premise that it'll help him get there. He's not cutting through with this crowd, because we're all generally quite a way to the left of the general population, and probably most Labor left politicians. But their enduring lead on the 2PP indicates it's cutting through somewhere.

His pretty average personal opinion polling probably has as much to do with the entire MSM working their guts off to keep him out than anything else.

lih
May 15, 2013

most of the mainstream media never give the greens much attention unless it's to attack them. the guardian and abc do cover their policy announcements & the guardian in general is pretty favourable to them, but that's about it. i don't think the lack of mainstream coverage is really their fault, they know the media won't give them positive attention so they're doing what they always do and are campaigning via other channels, very targeted towards the seats they have an actual chance of winning..

Don Dongington posted:

His pretty average personal opinion polling probably has as much to do with the entire MSM working their guts off to keep him out than anything else.

it's because he's uncharismatic, not a particularly effective speaker, and is only offering a fairly limited vision, there's not that much for people to be excited about. to be personally popular while using a small target/selective differentiation strategy you really need to have the charisma to substitute for the lack of substance and he certainly doesn't have that, he's no rudd. that's not to say that the small target strategy is bad - in theory it makes sense but i think the execution has been pretty lacking, there's been lots of unnecessary own goals (backing down on even looking at raising jobkeeper) and incoherent triangulation where they try to be everything to everyone and make no one happy (the religious discrimination bill). it still seems like they'll be able to get over the line just by being better than the government on the substance though

lih fucked around with this message at 02:42 on Apr 29, 2022

Capt.Whorebags
Jan 10, 2005

NPR Journalizard posted:

But asked about the growing pressure on home buyers, he (Howard) said: “I don’t accept there is a housing crisis.”

“The cost of housing in this country is much higher than we would like, but a lot of the reasons for housing being expensive in Australia has been baked into the system over the years."

Oh the guy who has lived in the same house for 40 years - apart from an 11 year stint in public housing - says that there's no problem with the housing market in Australia.

Glad that's settled.

JBP
Feb 16, 2017

You've got to know, to understand,
Baby, take me by my hand,
I'll lead you to the promised land.
G'day eveywun itsh me albo thish elecshun vote [inaudible] fair go teachersh they work evwy day sho [inaudible] jem chamush

hooman
Oct 11, 2007

This guy seems legit.
Fun Shoe
The wild wild west has now gone mask free except on public transport and health care/aged care.

Weird seeing everyone's faces again.

Miss Broccoli
May 1, 2020

by Jeffrey of YOSPOS

JBP posted:

G'day eveywun itsh me albo thish elecshun vote [inaudible] fair go teachersh they work evwy day sho [inaudible] jem chamush

jesus christ

Halo14
Sep 11, 2001

quote:

Sarah Ferguson to replace Leigh Sales as host of 7.30

https://www.abc.net.au/news/backstory/2022-04-29/sarah-ferguson-replaces-leigh-sales-as-730-host/101024142

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=bZNu3u4rkNU

Animal Friend
Sep 7, 2011

GoldStandardConure
Jun 11, 2010

I have to kill fast
and mayflies too slow

Pillbug

hooman posted:

The wild wild west has now gone mask free except on public transport and health care/aged care.

Weird seeing everyone's faces again.

we are all going to die

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Senor Tron
May 26, 2006

NPR Journalizard posted:

Who could have possibly baked these things into the system:

Only registered members can see post attachments!