Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Pac and Cheese
Oct 29, 2010

gotta walk fast

i tried watching judge judy with this guy and he was like "turn it off! it's none of our business!"

ZeusCannon posted:

Apply this logic to those Korean Military idols. With the weird anime helicopters.

this is the real smart camo, it invokes an emotional response, who would want to hurt the cute anime girl?

it's also the reason that the ai killbots who destroy humanity will also look like cute anime girls

e: jesus not only beat out but i sniped with it, massively embarassing

Pac and Cheese fucked around with this message at 00:28 on Apr 29, 2022

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Pac and Cheese
Oct 29, 2010

gotta walk fast

The Anime Liker posted:

"Boy it was fun when we were surfing but with all this napalm going off it's like an Apocalypse Now"

wtf a making of apocalpyse now movie would be so much better, i wanna see the hollywoodized version of sheen's hotel bender, buckets and buckets of blood sweat and vomit everywhere

PostNouveau
Sep 3, 2011

VY till I die
Grimey Drawer

Pac and Cheese posted:

wtf a making of apocalpyse now movie would be so much better, i wanna see the hollywoodized version of sheen's hotel bender, buckets and buckets of blood sweat and vomit everywhere

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=lxowb5IQRuI

Pac and Cheese
Oct 29, 2010

gotta walk fast

real footage ew. i demand over the top reenactments

The Anime Liker
Aug 8, 2009

by VideoGames

Pac and Cheese posted:

real footage ew. i demand over the top reenactments

I don't care that no one on set was French.

I demand Jared Leto giving the worst, most offensive impression of a Frenchman right now!

Pac and Cheese
Oct 29, 2010

gotta walk fast

The Anime Liker posted:

I don't care that no one on set was French.

I demand Jared Leto giving the worst, most offensive impression of a Frenchman right now!

when harrison ford steps on gd spradlin's tail he finally reacts in the updated archival footage during the credits

PostNouveau
Sep 3, 2011

VY till I die
Grimey Drawer
New Picard more boring than bad. The team retakes the ship from the Borg in basically one long dull action scene.

Jurati turns on an Elnor hologram to fight the Borg because apparently now the ship can make a hologram out of anyone that's been in it. Weirdness with the Elnor hologram, who tells Raffi that he "shares the recollection of Elnor's final breaths enough to know his last thoughts of her were loving ones." So the ship is recording everyone's thoughts too?

For some reason the Borg Queen's plan is to just take the ship and run for the Delta quadrant rather than start assimilating.

Jurati talks the Borg Queen into chilling out and also just ... not being the Borg anymore basically. Like, she convinces her to only assimilate the sick and dying and to let them retain their individuality. It don't make a lot of sense. She assimilates Seven of Nine, who's been stabbed in the gut. Borg Queen/Jurati still takes La Sirena and leaves, so I dunno how the crew is getting back to the future.

Picard and Romulan lady spend the whole time wandering through the basement of the vineyard house. Picard remembers his untreated schizophrenic mother hanging herself and he found the body. He feels bad because he let her out of the room her dad locked her in. It was like 2300s and they had untreated schizophrenia.

Soong escapes, I guess to go try and wreck the Europa mission.

infernal machines
Oct 11, 2012

we monitor many frequencies. we listen always. came a voice, out of the babel of tongues, speaking to us. it played us a mighty dub.

PostNouveau posted:

Picard remembers his untreated schizophrenic mother hanging herself and he found the body. He feels bad because he let her out of the room her dad locked her in. It was like 2300s and they had untreated schizophrenia.

lmao. My god the writers are the worst.

What if we made another Star Trek show that doesn't have anything to do with Star Trek and every plot point directly contradicts the entire universe the show has existed in to date?

infernal machines
Oct 11, 2012

we monitor many frequencies. we listen always. came a voice, out of the babel of tongues, speaking to us. it played us a mighty dub.
What if everything you thought you knew about Star Trek is wrong?

You know, because we balled it up and threw it in the trash to make another terrible attempt at prestige drama with sci-fi trappings?

Maybe, one day, our writers will have the chops to pull it off. But until then, they'll keep trying, god bless 'em.

Origami Dali
Jan 7, 2005

Get ready to fuck!
You fucker's fucker!
You fucker!

PostNouveau posted:

Picard and Romulan lady spend the whole time wandering through the basement of the vineyard house. Picard remembers his untreated schizophrenic mother hanging herself and he found the body. He feels bad because he let her out of the room her dad locked her in. It was like 2300s and they had untreated schizophrenia.

what in the world

TheSwizzler
May 13, 2005

LETTIN THE CAT OUTTA THE BAG
In my day, there was only one occasion for this grim type of storytelling in Star Trek and that's when it happened to O'Brien!

StashAugustine
Mar 24, 2013

Do not trust in hope- it will betray you! Only faith and hatred sustain.

TheSwizzler posted:

In my day, there was only one occasion for this grim type of storytelling in Star Trek and that's when it happened to O'Brien!

And even then he gets better after a few months of space therapy

PostNouveau
Sep 3, 2011

VY till I die
Grimey Drawer
Picard seems to have grown up in the 1880s, based on the flashbacks where everyone is dressed like olden times and not treating mental illnesses.

Randarkman
Jul 18, 2011

PostNouveau posted:

She wasn't even the Borg queen or anything funny stupid like that?

PostNouveau posted:

Picard seems to have grown up in the 1880s, based on the flashbacks where everyone is dressed like olden times and not treating mental illnesses.

That's just the showrunners being lazy. Apparently that's what you look like if you're rural French or whatever Picard and his mom are. From the clips I saw, child Picard is dressed like Tiny Tim.

Randarkman fucked around with this message at 02:50 on Apr 29, 2022

infernal machines
Oct 11, 2012

They had to make the show in contemporary LA, to make it cheap to shoot, but they also seem to have a hard time understanding their own timeline and just how much time 300 years is.

And also literally everything about the universe of Star Trek

~*Cue a bunch of tweets from the writers laboriously explaining that they did it on purpose*~

That DICK!
Sep 28, 2010

i go into that modern star trek thread and i feel like i'm taking crazy pills!!!

PostNouveau
Sep 3, 2011

VY till I die
Grimey Drawer

Randarkman posted:

She wasn't even the Borg queen or anything funny stupid like that?

No, Jurati is the Borg Queen. She's gonna go off to the Delta Quadrant and build a kinder, gentler Borg collective.

infernal machines
Oct 11, 2012

PostNouveau posted:

No, Jurati is the Borg Queen. She's gonna go off to the Delta Quadrant and build a kinder, gentler Borg collective.

Since we already don't give a gently caress about the timeline, why doesn't Picard just leave himself a note saying not to let his ailing mother out of the room his father locks her in?

Easy peasy

Zokari
Jul 23, 2007

i mean according to picard season 1, poverty also exists on earth in star trek times

modern star trek is just bad generic sci fi that they slapped the name star trek on to trick mike stoklasa into watching it

PostNouveau
Sep 3, 2011

VY till I die
Grimey Drawer

Zokari posted:

i mean according to picard season 1, poverty also exists on earth in star trek times

Does it? You talking about Raffi? I think she was just choosing to be a hermit.

infernal machines
Oct 11, 2012

PostNouveau posted:

Does it? You talking about Raffi? I think she was just choosing to be a hermit.

And give Picard poo poo for his family mansion (which burned down), and his heirloom furniture (which burned down).

In the 24th century poverty doesn't exist, except for this one trailer by Vasquez Rock, and that's because she wants to be a wokescold.

PostNouveau
Sep 3, 2011

VY till I die
Grimey Drawer

infernal machines posted:

And give Picard poo poo for his family mansion (which burned down), and his heirloom furniture (which burned down).

Yeah, if you watch Star Trek Picard, you come to realize that Raffi is a huge dick.

mossyfisk
Nov 8, 2010

FF0000
Meanwhile, in DS9's 2024 episode

Bashir posted:

"And once they were out of sight, what then? I mean, look at this man. There's no need for that man to live like that. With the right medication, he could lead a full and normal life."
"Maybe in our time."
"Not just in our time. There are any number of effective treatments for schizophrenia, even in this day and age. They could cure that man now, today, if they gave a drat."

PostNouveau
Sep 3, 2011

VY till I die
Grimey Drawer
Also, like, clearly this is going to be a closed causality loop and Jurati is going to show up in the Alpha Quadrant and assimilate the Federation fleet to get Picard to blow up the Stargazer and Q to show up and slip everyone out of there to an alternate timeline where they rescue an alternate Borg Queen to go back in time.

But Jurati has created a totally different Borg collective and also the crew and Borg Queen have murdered dozens of 2024 people, so I don't see how it connects. Usually in these closed loops, you have to do something in the past that fulfills the future, not radically alters it. I guess it's possible they write their way around it.

So it seems like the big thing they need to overcome in the last episode of the season is Fat Soong. How will this ragtag crew of 5 future people with a ton of advanced technology from the Romulan Watcher lady manage to overcome one fat 60-year-old?

Cubone
May 26, 2011

Because it never leaves its bedroom, no one has ever seen this poster's real face.

PostNouveau posted:

Yeah, if you watch Star Trek Picard, you come to realize that Raffi is a huge dick.
that sucks, I love Bananaphone

Kingo Ligma
Aug 24, 2019

Ask me about calling people racist because I failed geography.

PostNouveau posted:

The interns are just printing out the pictures from Wikipedia now, not even the articles.

priznat
Jul 7, 2009

Let's get drunk and kiss each other all night.
In the Ebert discussion we also forgot to mention what a hilarious bitch he was with Siskel (and vice versa). It made watching the show way more fun when they would do little snipes at each other

And this showed up in my twitter feed and I remembered all that

https://twitter.com/Clatchley/status/1519679634060845056

Milo and POTUS
Sep 3, 2017

I will not shut up about the Mighty Morphin Power Rangers. I talk about them all the time and work them into every conversation I have. I built a shrine in my room for the yellow one who died because sadly no one noticed because she died around 9/11. Wanna see it?

Zokari posted:

modern star trek is just bad generic sci fi that they slapped the name star trek on to trick mike stoklasa into watching it

Shadow funded by Shatner to kill mike once and for all

Sir Lemming
Jan 27, 2009

It's a piece of JUNK!

PostNouveau posted:

R2D2 is supposed to represent courage and freedom, and to gently caress an R2D2 toy… that’s America right there. Money Plane.

infernal machines
Oct 11, 2012

Want to bet on a man loving a droid?

Money Plane

Mordja
Apr 26, 2014

Hell Gem
Braved Kino to watch
Everything
Everywhere
All at Once
, and wow what a great movie that was. I haven't seen anything else by the Daniels but I should really watch SAM. Def didn't realize the dad was Short Round until looking it up afterwards.

TIP
Mar 21, 2006

Your move, creep.

Mordja posted:

Braved Kino to watch
Everything
Everywhere
All at Once
, and wow what a great movie that was. I haven't seen anything else by the Daniels but I should really watch SAM. Def didn't realize the dad was Short Round until looking it up afterwards.

swiss army man is pretty good but everything, everywhere, all at once is on a whole other level

they also made one of the greatest music videos of all time:
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=HMUDVMiITOU

poisonpill
Nov 8, 2009

The only way to get huge fast is to insult a passing witch and hope she curses you with Beast-strength.

Yeah, Everything Everywhere was a solid movie. Worth risking the Roni/burning a N95 on

Still deciding if Northman is worth trying to head out to the theater for, or just watch from the couch.

rydiafan
Mar 17, 2009

Northman had some good visuals, but it'd still be ok on the TV.

Bust Rodd
Oct 21, 2008

by VideoGames
Finally caught up on Plinketto #10 and holy macaroni is Jack Quaid just really fun and personable. Brought great energy to the show and seemed really into it and gave the guys lots to work with. Really makes Josh look like a wet sack of dog crap in comparison! The screenplay gag was very funny.

Lister
Apr 23, 2004

PostNouveau posted:

Jurati turns on an Elnor hologram to fight the Borg because apparently now the ship can make a hologram out of anyone that's been in it. Weirdness with the Elnor hologram, who tells Raffi that he "shares the recollection of Elnor's final breaths enough to know his last thoughts of her were loving ones." So the ship is recording everyone's thoughts too?

That's exactly how the holograms in Red Dwarf work, especially the dead crew member thing.

But yeah, the Borg reformation with a spirited speech is not good. The big problem with it is that it underpins the entire Borg to the queen's motivations. This episode directly says that the genetic and technological perfection thing is just a front, and the queen assimilates planets because she's lonely (the queen replies that that's bullshit but the reformation seems to prove it). Jurati also says that the borg end up dying out in every single timeline no matter what. It's dumb.

infernal machines
Oct 11, 2012

Oh, yes, the implacable expansionist collective that is only ever defeated at great cost (or increasingly dire writing) just dies out on its own, of course.

Also, it's all because of a lonely lady. Just like that kid who missed their mom destroyed the entire system of interstellar travel in Discovery season 3.

Jesus loving christ these people are hacks.

ProperCauldron
Oct 11, 2004

nah chill
I watched The Batman.

It was a comic book movie.

A few days previous, I rewatched Cosmopolis. What a weird movie. Funnily enough, there were a few similarities: RPat is a mega rich dude in a big city currently losing his fortune to disaffection. The discussion of rats (the rodent, as metaphor). RPat in a mega rich dude car with protesters shouting and holding up rats. Assassins both comical and murderous hunting RPat.

priznat
Jul 7, 2009

Let's get drunk and kiss each other all night.

ProperCoochie posted:

I watched The Batman.

It was a comic book movie.

A few days previous, I rewatched Cosmopolis. What a weird movie. Funnily enough, there were a few similarities: RPat is a mega rich dude in a big city currently losing his fortune to disaffection. The discussion of rats (the rodent, as metaphor). RPat in a mega rich dude car with protesters shouting and holding up rats. Assassins both comical and murderous hunting RPat.

That's a really good point, there are some similarities! I will think of it as Cronenberg's Batman film from now on :haw:

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

DrVenkman
Dec 28, 2005

I think he can hear you, Ray.
New Fast & Furious is spending a small fortune every day keeping everyone around while they look for a new Director. There's only so much Second Unit work they can do, and they'll have to find someone who is going to be fine with shooting a movie where all the big decisions have already been made/planned out. Whoever it is, they're going to buy a new house off the back of it.