Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

CharlestheHammer
Jun 26, 2011

YOU SAY MY POSTS ARE THE RAVINGS OF THE DUMBEST PERSON ON GOD'S GREEN EARTH BUT YOU YOURSELF ARE READING THEM. CURIOUS!

Cloks posted:

I believe that there are some corporate restrictions on what can be done with the character.

Oh I know I don’t think it’s because all the writers like suck or anythung, but SM has such a tight SQ he must return to that there really isn’t much room for character stuff. So they just give him jobs everyone knows won’t stick

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Gripweed
Nov 8, 2018

CharlestheHammer posted:

Oh I know I don’t think it’s because all the writers like suck or anythung, but SM has such a tight SQ he must return to that there really isn’t much room for character stuff. So they just give him jobs everyone knows won’t stick

Instead of making every job a big status quo shakeup like, he's a CEO or a teacher or whatever, they should just make them a series of random entry level jobs or jobs he gets through connections that no one expects to last for very long. That would actually be relatable for young people. Peter Parker got a job driving a plow for the city. But then he got fired for not showing up to work, but a friend has launched a career as a country musician and Peter Parker is her manager! But her career took off and she got a professional manager, so Peter Parker is making some extra money as the Beer Baron.

Lobok
Jul 13, 2006

Say Watt?

The gig economy makes sense for Peter but for the reader it's a bit hollow if there's no central location or consistent supporting cast.

Air Skwirl
May 13, 2007

Neither snow nor rain nor heat nor gloom of night stays these couriers from the swift completion of their appointed shitposting.

Lobok posted:

The gig economy makes sense for Peter but for the reader it's a bit hollow if there's no central location or consistent supporting cast.

You just have people also doing gig jobs that he runs into all the time.

Chinston Wurchill
Jun 27, 2010

It's not that kind of test.

Lobok posted:

Who needs Peter, imagine how much money Spider-Man could make as an Uber!

Splint Chesthair
Dec 27, 2004

Wasn’t there just a bit where Spidey was basically a streamer?

CharlestheHammer
Jun 26, 2011

YOU SAY MY POSTS ARE THE RAVINGS OF THE DUMBEST PERSON ON GOD'S GREEN EARTH BUT YOU YOURSELF ARE READING THEM. CURIOUS!

Splint Chesthair posted:

The video game had a villian that was a streamer, you might be thinking of her

Rick
Feb 23, 2004
When I was 17, my father was so stupid, I didn't want to be seen with him in public. When I was 24, I was amazed at how much the old man had learned in just 7 years.
I liked the Slott run more than most people here, but what killed me for it was that it was too expensive to follow, either from the perspective of buying several issues a montht at the store or from the time I was spending on it on Unlimited, which considering my secondary problem was how fast they would just burn through stuff could have been alleviated on a more typical comic timeline.

Chinston Wurchill
Jun 27, 2010

It's not that kind of test.

Splint Chesthair posted:

Yeah, there was a sponsorship deal with a wacky new costume as a part of Spencer's run.

Splint Chesthair
Dec 27, 2004

Chinston Wurchill posted:

Yeah, there was a sponsorship deal with a wacky new costume as a part of Spencer's run.

Yes, with JJJ as his “guy in a chair,” no less. Is there some policy that every new writer on ASM means Spidey gets a new costume? Seems like it’s been that way since JMS.

(Wow look at all those acronyms.)

CharlestheHammer
Jun 26, 2011

Yeah costumes are the other gimmick but to be fair that goes way back.

Like the X men changed their costumes constantly going back to the 80s

Air Skwirl
May 13, 2007

Neither snow nor rain nor heat nor gloom of night stays these couriers from the swift completion of their appointed shitposting.

CharlestheHammer posted:

Yeah costumes are the other gimmick but to be fair that goes way back.

Like the X men changed their costumes constantly going back to the 80s

They changed their costumes a bunch even in the pre-Claremont era.

https://twitter.com/MarvelADayProj/status/1518001772685631490?s=20&t=E6Prw0bw-HprB-S78-zkEQ

Cloks
Feb 1, 2013

by Azathoth
i started reading Nocenti's run on daredevil and i get why it might not be someone's poo poo but it is EXTREMELY my poo poo. Daredevil trying to figure out his place between laws and morals while fighting for tenant's rights and against pollution is what I want to see in a comic.

it's definitely a clear antecedent to what Zdarsky is doing with the character, but given that those are the only Daredevil authors I'm familiar with, I can't say how much of that is Nocenti.

CharlestheHammer
Jun 26, 2011

That’s her thing. It’s pretty consistent among all her various works

Air Skwirl
May 13, 2007

Nocenti is one of the most underrated comics writers.

Cloks
Feb 1, 2013

by Azathoth

CharlestheHammer posted:

That’s her thing. It’s pretty consistent among all her various works

yeah, i came to this from her X-Men related stuff so I'm interested in seeing how she explores those themes with Daredevil

the JRJR art is fantastic as well, she really gave him the chance to cut loose with dreamscapes and dynamic fights

Metalshark
Feb 4, 2013

The seagull is essential.

Cloks posted:

yeah, i came to this from her X-Men related stuff so I'm interested in seeing how she explores those themes with Daredevil

the JRJR art is fantastic as well, she really gave him the chance to cut loose with dreamscapes and dynamic fights

The Longshot mini absolutely slaps. Just compelled to say this here, no doubt you're aware.

Gologle
Apr 15, 2013

The Gologle Posting Experience.

<3
I wish the X-Men swimsuit costumes had stuck around a little longer tbh. As it is I think they're just in the Swimsuit Special comics.

EDIT: wait, I'm misremembering, Scott and I think Logan wore their costumes in an X-Men issue relatively recently when they were flirting with each other.

Gologle fucked around with this message at 22:37 on Apr 28, 2022

Air Skwirl
May 13, 2007

Scott, Logan and Jean just being a power throuple is easily my favorite thing about Krakoa.

How Wonderful!
Jul 18, 2006

I only have excellent ideas
Nocenti's DD is my favorite DD run, I know there's a lot of competition but hers just speaks to me.

Dawgstar
Jul 15, 2017

Cloks posted:

i started reading Nocenti's run on daredevil and i get why it might not be someone's poo poo but it is EXTREMELY my poo poo. Daredevil trying to figure out his place between laws and morals while fighting for tenant's rights and against pollution is what I want to see in a comic.

It's a great follow-up to Miller's run. You're in for a treat. DD probably has the best Inferno tie-in under Nocenti, which is a higher bar than you'd think.

Also FATBOYS FOR LIFE!

Air Skwirl
May 13, 2007

Dawgstar posted:

It's a great follow-up to Miller's run. You're in for a treat. DD probably has the best Inferno tie-in under Nocenti, which is a higher bar than you'd think.

Also FATBOYS FOR LIFE!

That's the one with a vacuum cleaner, right?

ilikedirt
Oct 15, 2004

king of posting
Lol did angel just roll up on fools and shoot them with a revolver before professor x straightened him out or

Air Skwirl
May 13, 2007

ilikedirt posted:

Lol did angel just roll up on fools and shoot them with a revolver before professor x straightened him out or

He has a loving bazooka on the cover of X-Men number 1.

drrockso20
May 6, 2013

Has Not Actually Done Cocaine

ilikedirt posted:

Is there even a good modern run of spiderman that most people agree is good?

Honestly I cant think of a single time in my lifetime where it didnt seem like literally everybody was unhappy with the current run of spiderman, but maybe im tripping

There's a reason I'm one of those people who prefer ignoring most things Marvel has done in the main 616 continuity since the early to mid 90's

Gripweed posted:

Instead of making every job a big status quo shakeup like, he's a CEO or a teacher or whatever, they should just make them a series of random entry level jobs or jobs he gets through connections that no one expects to last for very long. That would actually be relatable for young people. Peter Parker got a job driving a plow for the city. But then he got fired for not showing up to work, but a friend has launched a career as a country musician and Peter Parker is her manager! But her career took off and she got a professional manager, so Peter Parker is making some extra money as the Beer Baron.

At this point just have him be a photographer again, it was his main civilian job for like 40 years, no reason he can't take it up again

Honestly that costume is fine except for the yellow shorts

Skwirl posted:

Scott, Logan and Jean just being a power throuple is easily my favorite thing about Krakoa.

Agreed

ilikedirt posted:

From my recollection it's a "gas gun"

Skwirl posted:

He has a loving bazooka on the cover of X-Men number 1.

It's actually just supposed to be a metal pillar

Air Skwirl
May 13, 2007

drrockso20 posted:

It's actually just supposed to be a metal pillar

No it's not, or at least Jack Kirby didn't get the memo about that.

Dawgstar
Jul 15, 2017

Skwirl posted:

That's the one with a vacuum cleaner, right?

That one's good. It's the power outage one I was thinking of, though.

Karma Tornado
Dec 21, 2007

The worst kind of tornado.

Angel's gun shot out little balls of knockout gas and Professor X made him give it up because he was getting too cocky in his pre-joining- the-X-Men superheroing days. I have a vague memory of a retcon about it where the gas gave somebody cancer, maybe Cameron Hodge? maybe Angel's uncle, the (other) Dazzler? the second one feels very "John Byrne did this in The Hidden Years" to me but I can't bring myself to read that book again to check.

Dawgstar
Jul 15, 2017

Karma Tornado posted:

Angel's gun shot out little balls of knockout gas and Professor X made him give it up because he was getting too cocky in his pre-joining- the-X-Men superheroing days. I have a vague memory of a retcon about it where the gas gave somebody cancer, maybe Cameron Hodge? maybe Angel's uncle, the (other) Dazzler? the second one feels very "John Byrne did this in The Hidden Years" to me but I can't bring myself to read that book again to check.

Don't think it was Hodge. He was jealous of Warren being in the 1% and that fueled him deciding all mutants were bad and making The Right. Then he made a deal with N'astirh trading immortality for a little light mutant trafficking. Then things got complicated.

That absolutely does sound like a Hidden Years thing, though.

LennyBriscoCountyJr
Oct 20, 2005

Dawgstar posted:

That one's good. It's the power outage one I was thinking of, though.

That was the Fall of the Mutants tie-in, wasn't it? That was probably my favorite issue out of all the FotM stuff.

(And why in hell doesn't Marvel Unlimited have a Fall of the Mutants reading list?)

edit for punctuation

LennyBriscoCountyJr fucked around with this message at 07:05 on Apr 29, 2022

Dawgstar
Jul 15, 2017

LennyBriscoCountyJr posted:

That was the Fall of the Mutants tie-in, wasn't it? That was probably my favorite issue out of all the FotM stuff.

Oh, was it because of the power outage across the island that I think was related to something Apocalypse did? Fair enough. Still good.

Soonmot
Dec 19, 2002

Entrapta fucking loves robots

Grimey Drawer
Yeah, I am really not feeling this Spider-Man arc. Honestly, it's mainly the peter and mj thing, nix that and I'd probably be mostly okay with this, but ugh.

CharlestheHammer
Jun 26, 2011

To be fair I haven’t seen anyone like it.

Like they already did it in Slotts run, and that weird next chapter era right before JMS.

It’s played out

Lord_Hambrose
Nov 21, 2008

*a foul hooting fills the air*

CharlestheHammer posted:

To be fair I haven’t seen anyone like it.

I do. I get why people are mad that Peter and MJ are not together after building up to that for the last 100 issues, but this is extremely more interesting.

Peter's a bum, MJ is better off (and should get her solo title back).

CharlestheHammer
Jun 26, 2011

Lord_Hambrose posted:

I do. I get why people are mad that Peter and MJ are not together after building up to that for the last 100 issues, but this is extremely more interesting.

I mean if you want that, Dan Slott did it, BND did it, Howard Mackie did it in 99.

Which is my biggest issue, we are just repeating poo poo we’ve seen for 20 years but with a lame mystery gimmick to try and spice it up. It’s just so tedious at this point

Heavy Metal
Sep 1, 2014

America's $1 Funnyman

I'm hopeful for this run, but I'm a big believer in Pete/MJ. It's just proper. Will wait and see.

Plus I haven't read any of the Spencer run yet, and I think I may enjoy some of the early parts, if only for Ottley.

CharlestheHammer
Jun 26, 2011

Early Spencer is honestly the best SM since JMS.

Even Kindred had good stuff in it.

It’s a shame he went full Nick Spencer

OnimaruXLR
Sep 15, 2007
Lurklurklurklurklurk
The first issue of the ASM run all setup, so while it's not exactly won me over, I could see it potentially going somewhere interesting

That being said, I wish there had been some more interesting hooks than just "Peter hosed up, and we're not going to tell you why for a few issues".

drrockso20
May 6, 2013

Has Not Actually Done Cocaine
just realized I haven't done anything for my Chronological Marvel Reading Project in a while, so I'm back with the next five issues(see my post history for previous entries);

Tales to Astonish #43: this was a fun little issue, again less so for Ant-Man himself(though there's a neat bit early in the issue where he gets all shy when a crowd notices him and wants to get autographs and interviews from him) and more for it's "villain" the Time Master whose sympathetic story has a surprisingly happy ending for an early Marvel villain

Tales of Suspense #41: in this story we see the first character to use the name Doctor Strange, this one being a mad scientist wanting world domination, probably the most interesting things about this issue are 1) we get a "superhero gets hypnotized into helping the villain" plot where everyone immediately realizes Iron Man has been put into a trance and thus not directly at blame(rather than thinking he's turned to evil or something), and 2) the story makes a big fuss about Doctor Strange being this huge world ending threat and then he just completely disappears until they brought him back for The Marvels last year(though I haven't read that series yet so I don't know the context of his appearance there)

Journey Into Mystery #93: man this was a silly issue, though unlike a lot of the Communist threats in Early Marvel, the Radio-Active Man was at least somewhat interesting as a concept(if incredibly goofy and probably mildly racist), also Thor basically nuked China at the end of this story

The Amazing Spider-Man #3: the debut of Doctor Octopus is a pretty strong one overall, including some great art by Ditko in making Doc Ock look rather creepy and menacing in a lot of panels, also yet another legendary typo in this issue when Otto calls Spider-Man Super-Man in one panel

Strange Tales #109: another solo Human Torch story that's mostly carried by it's villain, this time The Sorcerer a mystically inclined kook who commits crimes using the Evils stored inside Pandora's Box, all drawn wonderfully by Jack Kirby

overall an entertaining batch of issues and once again the covers for these issues;

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

The X-man cometh
Nov 1, 2009

Lord_Hambrose posted:

Felicia Hardy deserves to get some Spider-dick while they're split up.