Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.
Should I step down as head of twitter
This poll is closed.
Yes 420 4.43%
No 69 0.73%
Goku 9001 94.85%
Total: 9490 votes
[Edit Poll (moderators only)]

ben shapino
Nov 22, 2020

that's grimes on the left

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Revins
Nov 2, 2007

tune the FM in to static and pretend that its the sea
elon loving sucks and if you don't realize that I'm sorry

lDDQD
Apr 16, 2006
He is really bad,, unlike progressive hero Jeffrey Bezos, whom I love 😍

Imagined
Feb 2, 2007
This might be a good troll if you could point to even one person ironically pretending to like Bezos.

EVIL Gibson
Mar 23, 2001

Internet of Things is just someone else's computer that people can't help attaching cameras and door locks to!
:vapes:
Switchblade Switcharoo

StoryTime posted:

[...], ol' Musky boy to fire all the human moderators from Twitter, and replace them with his OpenAI tech. [...]

OpenAI? I sleep.

A good AI was already implemented on Twitter.

Zil
Jun 4, 2011

Satanically Summoned Citrus

EVIL Gibson posted:

OpenAI? I sleep.

Exactly. Everyone is talking about unbanning Trump, but it is Tay that needs to be brought back.

PhysicsFrenzy
May 30, 2011

this, too, is physics

i can't even tell if this is parody

dr_rat
Jun 4, 2001

Zil posted:

Exactly. Everyone is talking about unbanning Trump, but it is Tay that needs to be brought back.

I mean, like I'm not saying Tay should be elected president or anything, but yeah I'm saying exactly that.

flubber nuts
Oct 5, 2005

EVIL Gibson posted:

OpenAI? I sleep.

dr_rat
Jun 4, 2001
Oh and Bezos is apparently just throwing out random poo poo at musk. Didn't know they hated each other, but whatever. Let the arseholes fight!

https://www.theguardian.com/technology/2022/apr/26/jeff-bezos-questions-china-influence-over-elon-musk-twitter posted:

The world’s second richest man posted a tweet raising concerns over potential Beijing influence on Twitter several hours after the Tesla chief executive, and current holder of the No 1 wealth spot, reached a $44bn (£34bn) deal with the Twitter board to buy the influential social media platform.

Carlos Lantana
Oct 2, 2003

I'm really sorry, your avatar is giving me a boner and while that is perfectly OK and I don't want to kink shame anyone, its making me feel really weird getting a boner in a Trump thread.

Sincerely,

Jailbrekr

Caesar Saladin posted:

Elon Musk is actually in Iron Man 2 for a second and it made me so mad when I was watching it a couple weeks ago. This was back in 2010 when people didn't know what a shitbird he was.

Only registered members can see post attachments!

Eeyo
Aug 29, 2004

With regards to Elon's intelligence, pretty much the only intelligence test you need for Elon is to just look at the whole "loop" concept, and his grand ideas for it. It pretty cleanly demonstrates that his intelligence is average at best.

IMO his success is mostly just kind of preferential attachment: he was extremely lucky with some moves early in his career, and so he has "grown" a fairly large portfolio. But there isn't really a mystery here, since one of the largest ways that we allocate resources is just by the people with money deciding what gets funded. So he takes his considerable wealth and influence, invests in some companies, and whatever good things come out are attributed to him. The more nuanced view here is it's the people that make up the company, the engineers, office staff, factory workers, janitors, etc. that have really contributed the most to those successes.

He's one of the wealthiest people on earth not because of his talent and intellect, but because the accrual of wealth and success is largely a stochastic affair; we're looking at the lucky guy who has enough money so he can buy more money and more success.

satanic splash-back
Jan 28, 2009

Eeyo posted:

With regards to Elon's intelligence, pretty much the only intelligence test you need for Elon is to just look at the whole "loop" concept, and his grand ideas for it. It pretty cleanly demonstrates that his intelligence is average at best.

IMO his success is mostly just kind of preferential attachment: he was extremely lucky with some moves early in his career, and so he has "grown" a fairly large portfolio. But there isn't really a mystery here, since one of the largest ways that we allocate resources is just by the people with money deciding what gets funded. So he takes his considerable wealth and influence, invests in some companies, and whatever good things come out are attributed to him. The more nuanced view here is it's the people that make up the company, the engineers, office staff, factory workers, janitors, etc. that have really contributed the most to those successes.

He's one of the wealthiest people on earth not because of his talent and intellect, but because the accrual of wealth and success is largely a stochastic affair; we're looking at the lucky guy who has enough money so he can buy more money and more success.

I'm glad you felt the same way as countless thinkpiece articles all over the internet but unless you can condense it down a bit nobody will care to read it.

syntaxfunction
Oct 27, 2010

satanic splash-back posted:

I'm glad you felt the same way as countless thinkpiece articles all over the internet but unless you can condense it down a bit nobody will care to read it.

Elon Badman.

Imagined
Feb 2, 2007
Stochastic is a $10 word for "random" and there's nothing "random" about how wealth is assigned and accrued in this country. If anything I'd describe wealth as gravitational: once you mass enough of it it warps space to draw more to itself.

Bad Purchase
Jun 17, 2019

i took a stochastic processes course in grad school to find out what it means, and it cost a lot more than $10

syntaxfunction
Oct 27, 2010

Bad Purchase posted:

i took a stochastic processes course in grad school to find out what it means, and it cost a lot more than $10

Username post combo lol :cool:

Eeyo
Aug 29, 2004

Imagined posted:

Stochastic is a $10 word for "random" and there's nothing "random" about how wealth is assigned and accrued in this country. If anything I'd describe wealth as gravitational: once you mass enough of it it warps space to draw more to itself.

Yeah that's pretty much what I was going for. I mean it's random in the sense that PayPal could have failed (or Tesla) and Elon would just be another boring millionaire rather than a billionaire. And the success or failure of either of those companies doesn't really depend on Elon.

Bad Purchase
Jun 17, 2019

syntaxfunction posted:

Username post combo lol :cool:

the florida tax payers paid for it (but it was still a bad purchase for them because i barely remember or use any of it, and just read wikipedia if i need a refresher on statistics)

Graham Fury
Oct 26, 2010
Some people called me names online so I switched my political views over to the side containing the world's dumbest racists and people whose paragon of strength and integrity is Donald Trump. I'm highly intelligent like Elon.

vandalism
Aug 4, 2003
good or bad this is the only dude that is willing to provide me internet that is decent at a price that doesn't ream out my rear end in a top hat and poo poo in my eye sockets

literally comcast wanted 1k a month to dig out to me

hughesnet is made of twine and wax

att and verizon are chargin by the fuckin kilobyte for the hotspot

tethering is thrrottled to 15 gb a month--rip

For $110 2022 USD (roughly $90 2021 USD) I can get UNLIMITED downloads at like 50+ mbps

I got the lovely at&t mobile hotspot now and am getting 5 for $50 a month

also he shipped a bunch of starlink things to ukraine to help them against putin so that is cool

Buce
Dec 23, 2005

Imagine thinking that the Overton window has shifted to the left in recent years

Funky See Funky Do
Aug 20, 2013
STILL TRYING HARD
I won't 'ere no ill spoken about young master Musk. He treats us right proper he does. Only works us 12 hours, lets us have Sunday's off for prayers and he let me wife stay in the stables with the horses when she gave birth to our son, may God rest their souls.

Bad Purchase
Jun 17, 2019

Buce posted:

Imagine thinking that the Overton window has shifted to the left in recent years

no... you see... gay marriage. the liberals got it done and now it's time for the pendulum to swing the other way.

(please pay no attention as progress on voting rights, abortion rights, science-based school curriculum, public health, tax rates on the wealthy, environment regulations, cost of education, consumer protection laws, and social safety net programs continues the 4th consecutive decade of backsliding further and further right.)

You Are A Werewolf
Apr 26, 2010

Black Gold!

In a restaurant many years ago…

ben shapino
Nov 22, 2020

vandalism posted:

good or bad this is the only dude that is willing to provide me internet that is decent at a price that doesn't ream out my rear end in a top hat and poo poo in my eye sockets

For $110 2022 USD (roughly $90 2021 USD) I can get UNLIMITED downloads at like 50+ mbps

also he shipped a bunch of starlink things to ukraine to help them against putin so that is cool

thanks elon for helping this guy post here, so cool of you

vandalism
Aug 4, 2003

ben shapino posted:

thanks elon for helping this guy post here, so cool of you

Thank you, Mr Shapiro. I like your yarmulke.

Three Olives
Apr 10, 2005

Don't forget Hitler's contributions to medicine.

vandalism posted:

Starlink can't scale, the capacity numbers are completely laughable, but they are magically going to be solved by laser interconnects around the time that FSD is delivered (that won't actually fix the bandwidth issues), but they sucked up a shitload of public money that could have been used for a ground based fixed wireless system to keep SpaceX alive after they ran out of launches and they never made their reusable rocket technology financially viable.

Also, he didn't ship a bunch of Starlink terminals, the US vastly overpaid for them and handled all of the logistics of getting them to Ukraine instead of shipping a shitload of Iridium and Globalstar terminals that would have been vastly more useful for large scale deployment at a faction of the cost, logistics.

It's all a scam and I can't believe people keep falling for it.

Bionic Psyker
Apr 23, 2009

Three Olives posted:

Starlink can't scale, the capacity numbers are completely laughable, but they are magically going to be solved by laser interconnects around the time that FSD is delivered (that won't actually fix the bandwidth issues), but they sucked up a shitload of public money that could have been used for a ground based fixed wireless system to keep SpaceX alive after they ran out of launches and they never made their reusable rocket technology financially viable.

Also, he didn't ship a bunch of Starlink terminals, the US vastly overpaid for them and handled all of the logistics of getting them to Ukraine instead of shipping a shitload of Iridium and Globalstar terminals that would have been vastly more useful for large scale deployment at a faction of the cost, logistics.

It's all a scam and I can't believe people keep falling for it.

For reference:
https://www.washingtonpost.com/politics/2022/04/08/us-quietly-paying-millions-send-starlink-terminals-ukraine-contrary-spacexs-claims/

lDDQD
Apr 16, 2006
Thank u, Jeffrey's newspaper for shineing some light on how bad elon muck is

Wendigee
Jul 19, 2004

teen phone cutie posted:

ok i've made a mistake. unbookmarking this thread. it's become the very thing i hate about twitter lol

thanks for the heads up. If you change your mind feel free to let everyone know again.

Long-Time Lurker
May 20, 2021

readin'-but-not-postin'-jones
What's with all the Elon Musk simps equating people finding their favourite billionaire repulsive with being fans of Jeff Bezos? Lol

Oolb
Nov 18, 2019

me: hm, okay, no I don't think that's defensible. its actually kind of dumb. me, really dumb: *looks at avatar*
it's like those middle-aged men on dating profiles as cats pics

Big Beef City
Aug 15, 2013

PITY BONER posted:

My conjecture, based on Elon's prior activities online, is that Twitter will become his ultimate pump-and-dump grift for crypto and stocks. He can use the algorithm to pump up the companies and "currencies" he wants to profit off of, without having to be so obvious about it on his personal account. Heck, he could even make it payable service for other companies to use to pump their own imagined worth. Forget the free speech aspect; I just see this dude as wanting to be the first trillionaire in history, and this is just one means to an end.

In developing nations, for billions of people who don't own computers, Facebook and Whatsapp, etc., are the internet. Facebook's manipulation of politics extends far beyond the US/UK/AUS/etc., and reaches deeply into every under-developed and developing country in the world. They've purposely kept moderation jobs to a minimum to ensure that rampant tampering of opinions and formation of frothing anger posts are kept up. I remember reading some article about a woman somewhere in Africa who had the job of moderating millions of accounts by herself, and nobody at FB cared when she reported death threats that lead to a political lynching IRL. Wiping out FB and Whatsapp would turn the tides of right-wing, nationalist, and ethnic hate so fast that we'd think we entered a new era of peace. poo poo holes like Trump and Modi would have little to stand on. Indian Hindutva nationalism would collapse in minutes without Whatsapp. Etc. Etc. Etc.

Tiktok is basically an unelaborate, bare-faced Zoomer poisoning device, regardless of native language, and they have gleefully incorporated it into their general existence and private lives. Even though it recommends a variety of topics to them, it's even easier for them to fall into an echo chamber of stupidity that hits Zoomer brains in that particular way older generations scoff at. Instead of Facebook and Twitter being their source of a worldview and entertainment, Tiktok is far more accessible to them and requires less attention to use, making it even easier to assimilate whatever trash takes they willingly soak up. Being the generation that grew up using tablets and having unlimited on-demand entertainment while in diapers, there's some weird psychology going on with their trust and fondness for screens. In my opinion of North American Zoomers, their overall computer literacy levels are terrible, what to speak of their critical thinking skills when using digital sources of information. I am a teacher, and kids these day are so happily willing to give up deeply private information online that it's legitimately shocking to me, and I keep getting shocked over and over by how loving stupid these kids are. If it's not Tiktok or some other social media site, it's whatever else will be the next hot thing. God, they're so bad at internetting.

lol

Big Beef City
Aug 15, 2013

I'm just so mad that Elon musk got money in a way that I personally feel slighted by in some vague way and I really need to tell you all about that ennui

Oolb
Nov 18, 2019

Big Beef City posted:

I'm just so mad that Elon musk got money in a way that I personally feel slighted by in some vague way and I really need to tell you all about that ennui

proceed

Oolb
Nov 18, 2019
Elon Musk is offensive because he's dumb and boring. lots of people are but they're not such lame bros about it. No I will NOT be defending my claim, I am God.

Bogus Adventure
Jan 11, 2017

More like "Bulges Adventure"
Lmao at Elon Musk buying Twitter because he wants a really big platform to shitpost whatever his consciousness farts into his brain while he's jerking it in a lithium battery powered bathroom.

Bogus Adventure
Jan 11, 2017

More like "Bulges Adventure"
And lmao that there are people who worship the human-sized foreskin known as Elon Musk.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Poohs Packin
Jan 13, 2019

*Reads a series of communist cat girl tweets about Elon being a literal member of the Waffen SS*

"Heh, I guess the kids are alright"

*jams another cheeto into foreskin and cums violently*