Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Brawnfire
Jul 13, 2004

🎧Listen to Cylindricule!🎵
https://linktr.ee/Cylindricule

Tried to steam some veggies with no water in my pan

Didn't work, weirdly!

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Democratic Pirate
Feb 17, 2010

Brawnfire posted:

Tried to steam some veggies with no water in my pan

Didn't work, weirdly!
Welcome to the club!

I was close to ruining a pan with thermal shock when my brain fought through sleep deprivation (we were 3 weeks into parenthood) to think “hey, isn’t pouring cold water in a pan that’s spent 10 minutes sitting on a screaming hot burner a bad idea?”

Saved the pan, but it turns out granite countertops don’t like heat all that much. There are some fun cracks next to the sink that remind me of my shame.

Shooting Blanks
Jun 6, 2007

Real bullets mess up how cool this thing looks.

-Blade

Democratic Pirate posted:

Welcome to the club!

I was close to ruining a pan with thermal shock when my brain fought through sleep deprivation (we were 3 weeks into parenthood) to think “hey, isn’t pouring cold water in a pan that’s spent 10 minutes sitting on a screaming hot burner a bad idea?”

Saved the pan, but it turns out granite countertops don’t like heat all that much. There are some fun cracks next to the sink that remind me of my shame.

I always get nervous when people put heavy, hot items directly on a granite countertop. Use a trivet! If it's a quarter sheet pan with a chicken thigh and some veg you're fine - but I seriously cringed when I saw a Youtube video of someone doing it with a Dutch oven straight out of the oven.

AnonSpore
Jan 19, 2012

"I didn't see the part where he develops as a character so I guess he never developed as a character"
I have exercised poor impulse control and purchased an Anova oven. It seems really cool, except the beeps are a little loud. Is there no way to turn them off or at least lower the volume?

VelociBacon
Dec 8, 2009

AnonSpore posted:

I have exercised poor impulse control and purchased an Anova oven. It seems really cool, except the beeps are a little loud. Is there no way to turn them off or at least lower the volume?

Are you handy? I take apart most of my beepful electronics and just remove the speaker from the PCB. It doesn't really take any special tools if you just want to snip the leads out.

mystes
May 31, 2006

You can apparently get a Ninja CREAMi (like a budget pacojet) for $150 from Kohls right now (using the code GOSAVE25) according to slickdeals. I got a Cuisinart compressor ice cream maker at the start of the pandemic so I think I will have to restrain myself but I figured I would post it in case anyone else is thinking about buying one.

Flash Gordon Ramsay
Sep 28, 2004

Grimey Drawer
Only time will tell as far as durability goes, but based on my use so far, I would call the creami a shockingly good product. It works way better than I expected, considering the product it’s trying to compete with is 20x the price.

nwin
Feb 25, 2002

make's u think

Flash Gordon Ramsay posted:

Only time will tell as far as durability goes, but based on my use so far, I would call the creami a shockingly good product. It works way better than I expected, considering the product it’s trying to compete with is 20x the price.

What are you using it for? I got a cheap cuisinart ice cream maker where you have to freeze the bowl. I ended up making ice cream like 3 times and then it was too much of a hassle compared to just buying it (tempering the eggs, etc.

Zorak of Michigan
Jun 10, 2006

Can you use any old ice cream recipe in the Creami, or do they need to be tailored to it?

eke out
Feb 24, 2013

Zorak of Michigan posted:

Can you use any old ice cream recipe in the Creami, or do they need to be tailored to it?

whatever's fine

mystes
May 31, 2006

The creami is particularly interesting for stuff like sorbet/frozen yogurt that is harder to do in normal ice cream makers (especially if you want to be able to adjust the fat/sugar levels which is basically impossible in normal ice cream machines because you need them to be certain levels to get a good result). If you want to see stuff people have been doing with it look at this egullet thread: https://forums.egullet.org/topic/163060-new-pacojet-competitor-the-ninja-creami/

Also, personally I like making ice cream but I tend to do flavors that I can't get in my local supermarkets (peppermint stick, coffee oreo, etc.)

mystes fucked around with this message at 17:08 on Apr 30, 2022

Flash Gordon Ramsay
Sep 28, 2004

Grimey Drawer

nwin posted:

What are you using it for? I got a cheap cuisinart ice cream maker where you have to freeze the bowl. I ended up making ice cream like 3 times and then it was too much of a hassle compared to just buying it (tempering the eggs, etc.

Sorbets and custard based ice creams. With mix-ins. The biggest downside is you need to freeze your base the day before. But it’s easy enough to make a couple pints and then just spin them in the Creami when you want some. And being able to add the mixins later let’s you switch up the flavor a bit if you have multiple pints of the same base.

One of the first things I did with it because I got it in December was freezing store bought egg nog then spinning that into ice cream. Added cinnamon chips to it and it was awesome.

Test Pattern
Dec 20, 2007

Keep scrolling, clod!

Fart Car '97 posted:

I've heard a lot of things about misen but I've never heard anyone say "The best product anywhere remotely near their price point" so I'm extremely skeptical of that statement

The only one I'd say that for is the dutch oven. The rest I would say are very good or narrow best at their price point, the dutch oven is behind LC, sure, but I think it's better than anything cheaper than that, and at 1/3 the price of an LC of same size.

Test Pattern
Dec 20, 2007

Keep scrolling, clod!

mystes posted:

You can apparently get a Ninja CREAMi (like a budget pacojet) for $150 from Kohls right now (using the code GOSAVE25) according to slickdeals. I got a Cuisinart compressor ice cream maker at the start of the pandemic so I think I will have to restrain myself but I figured I would post it in case anyone else is thinking about buying one.

Wow thanks! I had a $40 gift card I was never ever going to use otherwise, so this worked out real well for me, getting the after tax price down to $120.

BrianBoitano
Nov 15, 2006

this is fine

Jumped on the creami bandwagon, thank you for the tip! Great excuse to use up some unopened mango nectar from months ago.

Local pickup for the maker too, and $23 for 4 more pints with free shipping.

Steve Yun
Aug 7, 2003
I'm a parasitic landlord that needs to get a job instead of stealing worker's money. Make sure to remind me when I post.
Soiled Meat
/me kicks churning refrigerated ice cream maker he bought for $400 a decade ago

.Z.
Jan 12, 2008

nwin posted:

Greek yogurt, fruit, and some sugar-free Walden's syrup blended together before freezing. I end up having to do the re-spin option to get the best texture. You can skip the blending bit, but it's not as smooth a texture. I definitely like it a more than a frozen bowl machine. It's all ready to eat after processing with a Creami in 2-3 minutes vs. ~20ish minutes of churning + additional freezing to firm things up.

Sorted, did a video on it recently.
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=dneSgw3fmhg

BrianBoitano
Nov 15, 2006

this is fine

Batch 1 in the books! Went for lazy AF - 2 bananas and some mango nectar

The one in the back is mango nectar and rum, haven't spun it yet :cheers:

https://i.imgur.com/T6UWvtx.mp4

Steve Yun posted:

/me kicks churning refrigerated ice cream maker he bought for $400 a decade ago

Yours doesn't require any advance planning though :)

Test Pattern
Dec 20, 2007

Keep scrolling, clod!
I never shop at Kohls so I wasn't aware of this but someone in the egullet thread pointed it out -- if you bought this at Kohls, you'll get just enough "Kohls Cash" to buy a 4 pack of pints.

Flash Gordon Ramsay
Sep 28, 2004

Grimey Drawer
On the Anova Precision Oven, how easy is the interface? Unlike the knobs on my Smartoven, and the Anova looks to be all touchscreen or something?

AnonSpore
Jan 19, 2012

"I didn't see the part where he develops as a character so I guess he never developed as a character"

On the Anova Precision Oven, how easy is the interface? Unlike the knobs on my Smartoven, and the Anova looks to be all touchscreen or something?

I quickly gave up on using the touchscreen but the companion app is very responsive, which was a pleasant surprise given my previous experience with the anova SV app which was pretty spotty.

AnonSpore
Jan 19, 2012

I saw corner cabinet chat and had the thought, does anyone have advice on repurposing corner counter space? I've got two pretty deep counters and for now they're just housing appliances that I don't use often, but I can't help but think the space could be put to better use by someone more creative than me.

Guy Axlerod
Dec 29, 2008
Creami trip report: First batch is the strawberry ice cream from the recipe book.

The pint looked a little crumbly, but taking a spoon to it immediately smoothed it. I didn't bother with a re-spin. Scooped perfectly. It was definitely ice cream, but had a filmy mouth-feel. I'm guessing too much fat/not enough air. Maybe I could try half-and-half instead of the heavy cream next time? In the freezer is a "dole whip" recipe

BrianBoitano
Nov 15, 2006

this is fine

I picked up a half gallon of TJ vanilla to test the different treatments - one pint original, the rest melted, frozen then spun. 1x Ice Cream, 1x Gelato, 1x whatever of those I think needs 2 spins to improve it. The goal is to understand how changing that one variable has an impact, though it'll only really apply to this one recipes balance of fat / sugar / stabilizers.

Test Pattern
Dec 20, 2007

Keep scrolling, clod!

BrianBoitano posted:

I picked up a half gallon of TJ vanilla to test the different treatments - one pint original, the rest melted, frozen then spun. 1x Ice Cream, 1x Gelato, 1x whatever of those I think needs 2 spins to improve it. The goal is to understand how changing that one variable has an impact, though it'll only really apply to this one recipes balance of fat / sugar / stabilizers.

Curious as to what you'll find out. I just did my first pint, literally just a bag of frozen berries I had on hand and two tablespoons of homemade labneh. Did it on lite ice cream, needed a respin, but perfect after that.
Didn't we used to have an ice cream thread?

Anne Whateley
Feb 11, 2007
:unsmith: i like nice words
In traditional ice cream makers, that filminess means it's been churned for too long and it's starting to turn into butter.

Guy Axlerod
Dec 29, 2008

Anne Whateley posted:

In traditional ice cream makers, that filminess means it's been churned for too long and it's starting to turn into butter.

I'm not really sure how to translate that to the creami, since it's not really churned at all.

BrianBoitano
Nov 15, 2006

this is fine

On one Creami recipe I found, OP said they cut down fat %age to fix that mouthfeel. I made said recipe for mother's day so I'll report back!

I'll restart an ice cream thread at that time.

road potato
Dec 19, 2005
I'm moving back to the US in July, so I need to buy all new everything for the kitchen, and feel like now is the time to buy a very high quality set of pots and pans. Is All-Clad still the go-to? Am I really going to experience much of a difference between the d3 and d5 in my cooking or in the durability? Lastly: I'm not moving until July- is it worth trying to keep an eye out for sales on these items, or do they stay pretty steadily at the normal price?

Vim Fuego
Jun 1, 2000

I LITERALLY SLEEP IN A RACING CAR. DO YOU?
p.s. ask me about my subscription mattress
Ultra Carp
All clad has factory seconds sales with deep discounts, probably worth buying during one of those.

therobit
Aug 19, 2008

I've been tryin' to speak with you for a long time

road potato posted:

I'm moving back to the US in July, so I need to buy all new everything for the kitchen, and feel like now is the time to buy a very high quality set of pots and pans. Is All-Clad still the go-to? Am I really going to experience much of a difference between the d3 and d5 in my cooking or in the durability? Lastly: I'm not moving until July- is it worth trying to keep an eye out for sales on these items, or do they stay pretty steadily at the normal price?

America’s test kitchen did not find much of a difference, other than in some cases 5 ply is actually worse than 3 ply.

my turn in the barrel
Dec 31, 2007

I bought a compressor ice cream maker at a thrift shop for $10 a few years back so I didn't jump on the Creami train...

But since ice cream season is around the corner I need an Ice Cream scoop.

I had one of the pampered chef vintage style heat conducting liquid ones that I really liked but I misplaced it and keep meaning to try one of the Thrifty cylinder ice cream scoops.

https://www.riteaid.com/shop/thrifty-stainless-steel-cylindrical-ice-cream-scoop-1ct

I'm in the Midwest so odds of finding one thrifting are slim and I didn't want to spend the $60 most scalpers mark them up to online.

Rite Aid sells them direct for ~$24.99+6.95 shipping via their website or 33.99 Amazon.

But right now rite aid has a coupon code for 20% off riteaid brands on their website. (Expires 5/7)
rasave-online20

Which brings the cost down to $26.95 shipped for one scoop.

But I added a 2nd scoop and it qualified for free shipping and I got 2 for $39.98.

Hopefully it lives up to the hype and I can use the 2nd one as a gift.

Shooting Blanks
Jun 6, 2007

-Blade

road potato posted:

Unfortunately you just missed an All-Clad sale. They seem to run a few times per year, so maybe you'll get lucky?

Alternatively, Tramontina is another brand that's considerably less expensive than All-Clad, possibly even less expensive than the All-Clad sale prices at times. It's at least worth looking at - I'm not sure how budget conscious you are, but it routinely gets recommended as the more wallet friendly tri ply set.

Edit: An alternative if you want to roll the dice would be Made In. I've only used their carbon steel pan (which I'm quite happy with), none of their stainless stuff, but they have free returns for 45 days. Worst case you buy it, hate it, and send it back - just costs you the time to go to UPS/FedEx.

Shooting Blanks fucked around with this message at 08:22 on May 5, 2022

Steve Yun
Aug 7, 2003
I'm a parasitic landlord that needs to get a job instead of stealing worker's money. Make sure to remind me when I post.
Soiled Meat

my turn in the barrel posted:

I bought a compressor ice cream maker at a thrift shop for $10 a few years back so I didn't jump on the Creami train...

But since ice cream season is around the corner I need an Ice Cream scoop.

I had one of the pampered chef vintage style heat conducting liquid ones that I really liked but I misplaced it and keep meaning to try one of the Thrifty cylinder ice cream scoops.

https://www.riteaid.com/shop/thrifty-stainless-steel-cylindrical-ice-cream-scoop-1ct

I'm in the Midwest so odds of finding one thrifting are slim and I didn't want to spend the $60 most scalpers mark them up to online.

Rite Aid sells them direct for ~$24.99+6.95 shipping via their website or 33.99 Amazon.

But right now rite aid has a coupon code for 20% off riteaid brands on their website. (Expires 5/7)
rasave-online20

Which brings the cost down to $26.95 shipped for one scoop.

But I added a 2nd scoop and it qualified for free shipping and I got 2 for $39.98.

Hopefully it lives up to the hype and I can use the 2nd one as a gift.

Sorry to spoil your fun but I think they’re terrible

It’s not the same gun they use at rite aid, it’s some cheap knockoff they stamped their name on

The scoop has trouble staying straight along it’s guide rail

Feels like cheap thin steel which is weird because supposedly the real ones are aluminum but because the steel is so thin it feels cheap

Flash Gordon Ramsay
Sep 28, 2004

Grimey Drawer
Who needs a scoop? You make a pint of ice cream, you eat a pint of ice cream. SMH.

The Midniter
Jul 9, 2001

I've had this scoop for around five years and it's performed admirably. Perfectly-sized scoops.

KOTEX GOD OF BLOOD
Jul 7, 2012

Shooting Blanks posted:

Unfortunately you just missed an All-Clad sale. They seem to run a few times per year, so maybe you'll get lucky?

Alternatively, Tramontina is another brand that's considerably less expensive than All-Clad, possibly even less expensive than the All-Clad sale prices at times. It's at least worth looking at - I'm not sure how budget conscious you are, but it routinely gets recommended as the more wallet friendly tri ply set.

Edit: An alternative if you want to roll the dice would be Made In. I've only used their carbon steel pan (which I'm quite happy with), none of their stainless stuff, but they have free returns for 45 days. Worst case you buy it, hate it, and send it back - just costs you the time to go to UPS/FedEx.
I received a Made In "stock pot" (which is really more like a stainless dutch oven) as a gift and it's great. It seems high quality to me and it's the perfect size for all kinds of things.

You could also try buying all clad on Facebook or Craigslist.

Sportman
May 12, 2003

PILLS...
PILLS...
PILLS...
PILLS...
PILLS!!!
Fun Shoe

Shooting Blanks posted:

I have some Tramontina pans and they are pretty much 90% as nice my my copper-core all clad. They are flat, heat evenly, and are definitely more cost effective.

nwin
Feb 25, 2002

make's u think

The Midniter posted:

I've had this scoop for around five years and it's performed admirably. Perfectly-sized scoops.

Same-going on 6 years.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Shooting Blanks
Jun 6, 2007

-Blade

Who needs a scoop? You make a pint of ice cream, you eat a pint of ice cream. SMH.

This. The only "scoop" you should need is a spoon from your silverware drawer.