Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.
Who will win the federal Election
This poll is closed.
Labor Majority 48 42.48%
Labor Minority 29 25.66%
Liberal Majority 3 2.65%
Liberal Minority 12 10.62%
UAP Majoirty 21 18.58%
Total: 113 votes
[Edit Poll (moderators only)]

kirbysuperstar
Nov 11, 2012

Let the fools who stand before us be destroyed by the power you and I possess.

Senor Tron posted:

Since 2013, with 9 years of power, what has the Abbott/Turnbull/Morrison government actually done? What's their legacy?

botes = stopped

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

I would blow Dane Cook
Dec 26, 2008

quote:

A candidate for Pauline Hanson’s One Nation party has been referred to the Australian Federal Police after allegedly nominating to run in two different seats on opposite sides of the country.

The Australian Electoral Commission revealed that it had referred Malcolm Heffernan to the AFP after discovering he had nominated to stand in the New South Wales seat of Banks and the Western Australian seat of Brand.

The nominations were for two separate parties. Heffernan was selected as the One Nation candidate in Banks, but was standing for the little-known Australian Federation party in WA.

Pauline Hanson at a press conference
One Nation directs preferences to Labor in five seats targeting ‘left-leaning Liberals’
Read more
In a statement the AEC said that each of Heffernan’s nomination forms contained a signed declaration that he “did not intend to be a candidate in any other election held the same day”.

The forms allegedly had differences in the listed information, “including a different date of birth, and a different expression of the candidate’s name,” the AEC said.

Senor Tron posted:

Since 2013, with 9 years of power, what has the Abbott/Turnbull/Morrison government actually done? What's their legacy?

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=vdRcOk6sJwA

SMILLENNIALSMILLEN
Jun 26, 2009

the identical faces in this photo get me everytime. whats wrong with this photo? NOTHING

Anidav
Feb 25, 2010

ahhh fuck its the rats again
Koch:

So what have you got on Thursday night? What’s more important?

Albanese:

Well, I have another appointment at that time. That has been long standing, Kochy. I’ve given dates to [Seven’s political editor] Mark Riley, a range of dates, including next Friday, and a range of dates the following week.

Natalie Barr:

Okay, well, we’ll get our people to talk to your people, and to Scomo’s people, because I think we need a debate here.

Koch:

What is this Thursday date you’ve got? Is it a family thing or a business thing?

Albanese:

It’s a commitment.

Capt.Whorebags
Jan 10, 2005

gently caress me the Australian media and press corps are tedious.

JBP
Feb 16, 2017

You've got to know, to understand,
Baby, take me by my hand,
I'll lead you to the promised land.
Albo's got a hot date Thursday baby!

Kazzah
Jul 15, 2011

Formerly known as
Krazyface
Hair Elf

kirbysuperstar posted:

botes = stopped

that's horseshit man, australia, especially coastal asutralia, is full of boats, always has been, always will be full of boats. i know like six guys with boats. they let people drive boats under the Sydney harbour bridge.

dr_rat
Jun 4, 2001

Kazzah posted:

that's horseshit man, australia, especially coastal asutralia, is full of boats, always has been, always will be full of boats. i know like six guys with boats. they let people drive boats under the Sydney harbour bridge.

This is lies. Lived in australllia all my life. Never seen a boat. not one. Don't even know what a boat looks like. Wouldn't recongnise one if it bit me on the arse.

Boats have been stopped full stop,

Amoeba102
Jan 22, 2010

You're thinking of boots.

SecretOfSteel
Apr 29, 2007

The secret of steel has always
carried with it a mystery.

Or oats. We used to be a country of porridge eaters - but no more.

Anidav
Feb 25, 2010

It won't be Kellogs All-Braneasy under Albanese

Animal Friend
Sep 7, 2011

Welcome to tiny boat world!

Senor Tron
May 26, 2006

SecretOfSteel posted:

Or oats. We used to be a country of porridge eaters - but no more.

I've started having porridge for breakfast at work, myth busted.

woofbro
Nov 25, 2013

Senor Tron posted:

Here’s a tidy refresher https://www.mdavis.xyz/govlist/

SecretOfSteel
Apr 29, 2007

The secret of steel has always
carried with it a mystery.

Senor Tron posted:

I've started having porridge for breakfast at work, myth busted.

this is australia mate, love it or leave.

Centusin
Aug 5, 2009

Capt.Whorebags posted:

gently caress me the Australian media and press corps are tedious.

Personally I think asking the leader of the opposition what appointment he has that's more important than a debate with the person he's trying to win an election against is actually a good thing to ask

Usually it's the incumbent that gets the hiding from proper debates coverage but lol that Albanese can't even do this right

Eediot Jedi
Dec 25, 2007

This is where I begin to speculate what being a
man of my word costs me

Centusin posted:

Personally I think asking the leader of the opposition what appointment he has that's more important than a debate with the person he's trying to win an election against is actually a good thing to ask

Usually it's the incumbent that gets the hiding from proper debates coverage but lol that Albanese can't even do this right

No it's not. If the date was set in stone and he backed out for another commitment, yes it's fair to ask why he's cancelling. If some rear end in a top hat pulls out thursday is the day it works for me, why not you, what are you up to that's so important, gently caress them.

NPR Journalizard
Feb 14, 2008

Eediot Jedi posted:

No it's not. If the date was set in stone and he backed out for another commitment, yes it's fair to ask why he's cancelling. If some rear end in a top hat pulls out thursday is the day it works for me, why not you, what are you up to that's so important, gently caress them.

Yeah this is known fuckwit Kochy trying to be more important than Albo.

Konomex
Oct 25, 2010

a whiteman who has some authority over others, who not only hasn't raped anyone, or stared at them creepily...
According to government stats on boats that have been released, and they claim to only release them when the stats won't affect ongoing operations. There are been 5 boats in between 2019-2021. More boats in the previous years. No report on boats since 2021. So they did not stop the boats.

Animal Friend
Sep 7, 2011

Konomex posted:

According to government stats on boats that have been released, and they claim to only release them when the stats won't affect ongoing operations. There are been 5 boats in between 2019-2021. More boats in the previous years. No report on boats since 2021. So they did not stop the boats.

did they stop the bats though?

hooman
Oct 11, 2007

This guy seems legit.
Fun Shoe

Putrid Dog posted:

I'd argue Abbott was worse

Abbott was a dismantler. He was elected on the premise to destroy the policies the Gillard/Rudd Labor governments had put in place. eg. Get the gov out of debt, stop the boats, get rid of the carbon tax, mining tax etc.
A lot of his and Hockey's most heinous poo poo was in the 2014 budget and was so bad the Australian public utterly rejected it - major hits to public service, education, health, welfare and funnily enough, affected the lower and middle class the most.
https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/2014_Australian_federal_budget

Morrison on the other hand come across as not having any objective or goal on how to shape Australian society. It's more a government of neglect.
There's no vision and they've dragged their feet/outright stalled on actual beneficial policies such as a federal ICAC. He's pretty much trying to keep the status quo going until he gets off the gravy train and moves on elsewhere.
Also see the lack of action during the flooding/bushfire natural disasters and the pandemic leaving the states to look after themselves.

But he wasn't elected on that premise at all. He was elected on the premise of "No changes to medicare, no cuts to the abc, no changes at all, just not these guys debt and deficit distaster, leadership instability!".

All of that heinous poo poo he did was waaaaay outside anything he campaigned on.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=VN-hbWVXsyE

Literally the only one he didn't do was change the GST.

hooman fucked around with this message at 10:27 on Apr 29, 2022

Chicken Parmigiana
Sep 12, 2007

They did, as a way of humanely controlling the spread of an invasive species, bop the stoats.

lih
May 15, 2013

Just a friendly reminder of what it looks like.

We'll do punctuation later.
he did promise to cut government debt, stop the boats, kill the carbon tax & mining tax, that was really the core of his campaign. he just also promised that he wouldn't cut things people liked and pretty much immediately totally reneged on that because oh no the government debt was so much worse than they could have imagined.

they also did want to try to force a gst increase too, but they took an indirect approach there by trying to significantly cut funding to the states, especially for health & education, so that the states would be forced to ask for more gst.

Regular Wario
Mar 27, 2010

Slippery Tilde
boats are a myth, just like the irish and the netherlands

Testekill
Nov 1, 2012

I demand to be taken seriously

:aronrex:

Kazzah posted:

I will stop the boats by standing on a pier and telling them to gently caress off because no boats are allowed.

Capt.Whorebags
Jan 10, 2005

Centusin posted:

It's horseshit. Morrison wants two debates, in the same week, on specific commercial channels - his way or the highway.

Albanese wants to do two more debates and thinks there should at least be one at the National Press Club and the ABC.

I think it's perfectly reasonable for Albanese to say "OK I'll do one of the debates you want if you agree to do one of the ones where I pick the venue and timing"

Morrison tries the same poo poo on "bipartisanship", which to him means "you agree to do everything I say with no variation". He's a schoolyard bully and will be turbofucked if he has to corral enough independents to form government let alone get any kind of legislative agenda through. Not that the last bit matters because as far as I can tell he has no legislative agenda.

Anidav
Feb 25, 2010

It also doesn't matter because Scott Morrison will not be in government

Animal Friend
Sep 7, 2011

Capt.Whorebags posted:

It's horseshit. Morrison wants two debates, in the same week, on specific commercial channels - his way or the highway.

Albanese wants to do two more debates and thinks there should at least be one at the National Press Club and the ABC.

I think it's perfectly reasonable for Albanese to say "OK I'll do one of the debates you want if you agree to do one of the ones where I pick the venue and timing"

Morrison tries the same poo poo on "bipartisanship", which to him means "you agree to do everything I say with no variation". He's a schoolyard bully and will be turbofucked if he has to corral enough independents to form government let alone get any kind of legislative agenda through. Not that the last bit matters because as far as I can tell he has no legislative agenda.

Channel 7, Chris Uhlman and Scott Morrison arguing in bad faith?

hambeet
Sep 13, 2002

mahershalalhashbaz posted:

hambeet you are an old man. you are a lord of the land. don't talk to me about small town disaster preparedness

because!

i live in small town australia now.

just a small town boy...

hambeet
Sep 13, 2002

glad avs is back tho

hambeet
Sep 13, 2002

Anidav posted:

It also doesn't matter because Scott Morrison will not be in government

hmm

freebooter
Jul 7, 2009

GoldStandardConure posted:

The Greens have a good series of policies this year, dental & mental health added to Medicare, abolishing student debt, free tafe & uni, investing in social & affordable housing, but yeah getting any air play with that is basically impossible. Having to rely on social media and doorknocks to get the message out, like usual.

Abolishing student debt feels like it's lifted from American politics. I'm all for tertiary education being free and I wouldn't say no to having my HECS debt abolished, but I've never found repaying it particularly onerous, and I've been on quite a few of the repayment levels over the years. Raising the rate of Austudy (or whatever they call it now) should be a way higher priority; unless you live with or are getting money from your parents, it's basically impossible to study full-time but not live in poverty in Australia.

edit - I checked and Greens policy is to raise Austudy to $1300 a fortnight from the current paltry rate of $530 a fortnight, so, good.

https://greens.org.au/sites/default/files/2022-03/Greens-2022-Policy-Platform--Education--Free-Tafe-Uni.pdf

freebooter fucked around with this message at 01:44 on Apr 30, 2022

Eediot Jedi
Dec 25, 2007

This is where I begin to speculate what being a
man of my word costs me

Student's going into debt is bad for the economy. You want people to get as highly educated as possible, as freely as possible, so they have many pieces of paper to light in the dark of the mines.

hambeet
Sep 13, 2002

Eediot Jedi posted:

Student's going into debt is bad for the economy. You want people to get as highly educated as possible, as freely as possible, so they have many pieces of paper to light in the dark of the mines.

Nah you want less students graduating to ensure wages keep going up. Duh.

lih
May 15, 2013

Just a friendly reminder of what it looks like.

We'll do punctuation later.
the current hecs system is far from perfect but it's not the worst thing in the world & i don't think immediately fixing it by abolishing all student debt needs to be a priority, but it's fine for the greens to advocate for it and it wouldn't be bad if it somehow happened. would be annoyed if they decided it was their number one priority in any future horse-trading with a labor government but i highly doubt that would happen

the end result of hecs is just that graduates get higher effective tax rates beyond a certain income. obviously universal free access to university with higher taxes (especially on the rich) in general to make up for the difference is much more desirable than the current situation but it's not the biggest issue

Janitor Ludwich IV
Jan 25, 2019

by vyelkin
why do people pronounce is kosh when its clearly cock, like how lots of people pronounce compass as cum pass

Paingod556
Nov 8, 2011

Not a problem, sir

Lemme tell you about Cockburn Central in WA...

JBP
Feb 16, 2017

You've got to know, to understand,
Baby, take me by my hand,
I'll lead you to the promised land.

Janitor Ludwich IV posted:

why do people pronounce is kosh when its clearly cock, like how lots of people pronounce compass as cum pass

Pretty sure the family chooses how to pronounce their name. You can say cock if you like tho go hog wild.

Regular Wario
Mar 27, 2010

Slippery Tilde
you can just call him a cock, no ones going to stop you

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Tomberforce
May 30, 2006

I kinda take the abolish student debt thing to be a general byline for undoing the general ratfucking of the HE sector since Howard. I hope anyway. The whole sector is hosed including TAFE.