Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

TaintedBalance
Dec 21, 2006

hope, n: desire accompanied by expectation of or belief in fulfilment

jokes posted:

That actually totally rules

He knows chaos’s “goals” are bullshit and by actually forcing them to win, Archaon is calling them on their poo poo

Something something Musk buying Twitter something something

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Carcer
Aug 7, 2010
At the time it WAS the pinnacle of gaming but yeah, it was like the one thing beastmen had and we've had it really good since.

punishedkissinger
Sep 20, 2017

TaintedBalance posted:

Something something Musk buying Twitter something something

Archelon Tusk, the Neverchosen

Lord_Magmar
Feb 24, 2015

"Welcome to pound town, Slifer slacker!"

jokes posted:

That actually totally rules

He knows chaos’s “goals” are bullshit and by actually forcing them to win, Archaon is calling them on their poo poo

Terrible Opinions posted:

Incidentally if you were to make a post-end times Warhammer fantasy diverging from AoS you could have the Chaos Gods fold when Archaon wins. The world isn't destroyed, he called their bluff and ruined the game.

Even funnier, Archaon is still around in Age of Sigmar and his actual gimmick there is that he successfully convinced all four chaos gods to give him an absolute shitload of boons individually, so now he's strong enough to fight them all and they can't take away those boons unless they all work together.

Which they never will do.

Jarvisi
Apr 17, 2001

Green is still best.

Lord_Magmar posted:

Even funnier, Archaon is still around in Age of Sigmar and his actual gimmick there is that he successfully convinced all four chaos gods to give him an absolute shitload of boons individually, so now he's strong enough to fight them all and they can't take away those boons unless they all work together.

Which they never will do.

Wouldn't this turn him into a chaos spawn?

Lord_Magmar
Feb 24, 2015

"Welcome to pound town, Slifer slacker!"

Jarvisi posted:

Nope, he's strong enough to carry those boons (Chaos Spawn is mental fortitude deal, either you're strong enough to wield the power or you fail and become chaos spawn).

Archaon basically went around convincing the gods that he would totally, definitely, work for them if they give him boons. Then once he got all the boons went gently caress you all I'm doing my own thing.

Arghy
Nov 15, 2012

Goddamn the dragon blooded lords have such amazing animations when on foot, a crazy AE knock back animation, awesome floating death laser, and some smaller knock backs. I was fighting savage orcs and paying attention to the macro ensuring my lines didn't get breached then i noticed abuncha flying orcs where my lord was and zoomed down to watch. I might keep them on foot because those animations are OP as hell. All of the cathay infantry have really good animations too, haha i'm guessing it's from 3 kingdoms but the crossbowmen and jade warriors are awesome.

The thing about the beastmen/wood elf DLC is it was a DLC so unless you really wanted to play those factions you wouldn't pay for that garbage offering which i didn't for like 8 months. Triple A games get away with way too much poo poo, smaller dev teams often produce far better quality games for a fraction of the resources. It's not a constant though just look at DRG vs VT2, one is nordic heaven while the other is all the hate of a country distilled into a dev team.

MonsterEnvy
Feb 4, 2012

Shocked I tell you

Jarvisi posted:

No that's part of what being Everchosen is about.

Carcer
Aug 7, 2010
Yay archaon is totally cooler now guys wait why are you still ignoring him you're meant to love him come baaaaaaaaack.........

Ra Ra Rasputin
Apr 2, 2011

Ravenfood posted:

Nurgle's recruitment system needs to be expanded to everyone. I like it so much more than the existing system for encouraging diverse armies.

I haven't played their other recent historical games, but I believe people said they are using bretonnia or three kingdoms style recruitment, anyone know for sure?

I do think it has potential to be modded in for other factions, especially if it let's you build up elite unit recruitment early but slowly and speed it up with heavy t5 investment.

Kanos
Sep 6, 2006

was there a time when speedwagon didn't get trolled

Ra Ra Rasputin posted:

I haven't played their other recent historical games, but I believe people said they are using bretonnia or three kingdoms style recruitment, anyone know for sure?

I do think it has potential to be modded in for other factions, especially if it let's you build up elite unit recruitment early but slowly and speed it up with heavy t5 investment.

It's pretty much 3K style recruitment. Units in 3K also spawn in instantaneously but heavily depleted and fill up over time.

Kanos fucked around with this message at 07:43 on Apr 29, 2022

Arghy
Nov 15, 2012

Yeah thrones had it but it's dumb because upkeep doesn't scale so you basically begin paying for a unit that you can't use for 2-3 turns. If you had it with cheap upkeep then yeah it would be a fun way to slow down just recruiting units instead of waiting for them to replenish. They should separate recruitment cost and upkeep, have upkeep hit after a few turns representing you paying them if they survived but put the upkeep cost as an upfront recruitment cost. Chaff units would be expensive to recruit but very cheap to upkeep while elite units would be very expensive to upkeep but be limited by unit caps.

Unit caps that aren't hard but rather dynamic are a great idea. It'd be an awesome feature to represent your barracks training units that you could just swing by and grab for cheap but if they're still alive by the time upkeep rolls around you'd have to pay for them. You could have chaff be quick to recruit representing a militia and if you did then you could have an entire militia themed roster.

They've always had a hard time with time in game but i feel implementing a year being 2 turns by having upkeep and other events trigger every 2 turns would be a great start because you could have seasons for the map too. You could have snow maps, spring/summer maps--throw in events like droughts or unusual seasons that would affect the battle maps. You could then add weather effects too, it's monsoon season in cathay so powder units have a reload penalty so you might wanna wait until next turn to attack.

Your Brain on Hugs
Aug 20, 2006
I like the way tomb kings do it, where buildings increase your unit caps. Gives more incentive to build stuff in other provinces rather than just have one or two dedicated entirely to recruitment. I feel like most factions spend way too many turns with trash units, and by the time you've unlocked the tier 5 ones you're already so powerful there's not much point in using them. Having other ways to get a capped amount of more powerful units earlier on would be cool. Some factions already have something similar, and you can feel the difference when you're not playing them.

Third World Reagan
May 19, 2008

Imagine four 'mechs waiting in a queue. Time works the same way.
Can't use a unit for 2-3 turns?

My man, have your heard of plagues.

Ravenfood
Nov 4, 2011

Kanos posted:

It's pretty much 3K style recruitment. Units in 3K also spawn in instantaneously but heavily depleted and fill up over time.

Yeah but 3k doesnt have the "buildings slowly add units to your recruitment pool aspect", which I also really like.

Kanos
Sep 6, 2006

Ravenfood posted:

Yeah but 3k doesnt have the "buildings slowly add units to your recruitment pool aspect", which I also really like.

No, because 3K does the immensely superior thing of decoupling units from buildings entirely and instead tying them to hero classes, hero levels, and tech unlocks, which means you generally get to play with a much wider array of units much earlier in the game.

Building based recruitment sucks.

Old Woman Island
Feb 21, 2011

Angrymantium
Jul 19, 2007
Resistant to everything

Blood pack DLC maybe by September - October lol.

Angrymantium fucked around with this message at 11:04 on Apr 29, 2022

DaysBefore
Jan 24, 2019

That's a lot longer than I expected lmao. Would not want to be a CA social media person right now

Ravenfood
Nov 4, 2011

Kanos posted:

No, because 3K does the immensely superior thing of decoupling units from buildings entirely and instead tying them to hero classes, hero levels, and tech unlocks, which means you generally get to play with a much wider array of units much earlier in the game.

Building based recruitment sucks.
3k's is definitely different. I'm not sure which I like better but I do really like how Nurgle's gets you high-tier units available very early on unlike 3k's.

Angrymantium posted:

Blood pack DLC maybe by September - October lol, there you have it. CA doing the bare minimum so they can pivot back to making historical games.
Yeah, definitely "effort" and not "we bit off way more than we can chew". All CA has to do is dig deep and truly harder, man. Really want it, you know? Code harder.

Ravenfood fucked around with this message at 11:10 on Apr 29, 2022

Insurrectionist
May 21, 2007
Q3 oof

And they're not penciling in 1.3 in Q2 either so you know it's not gonna be July or whatever lol

Doomykins
Jun 28, 2008

Didn't you mean to ask about flowers?
The bare minimum? Seriously? A single post for somebody to mouth breath in and keep beating the factually disproven "WH3 will be abandoned" drum? Did you not read the last panel?

It's a slower path than most would want, yeah. If somebody said "WH3 isn't a game you should get in the first year unless you really want to try the new races and pvp with them" I'd understand. Totally sensible. But they're clearly dedicated to improving the engine fundamentals, you know, that other drum being beaten to death, except this one rightfully so. Fixed ranged, fixed SEM, fixed balance issues, etc. All the fundamentals. Maybe not minor sieges, but maybe everything else being touched up gets there.

And as fast as you were to blurt out "just blood pack, game dead" I guess you missed regiments of renown, chaos warriors rework, Lord pack 1 and OH YEAH YOU CAN PLAY IE.

Come on. You're in such a hurry to kick CA your eyes somehow went right by your most precious totem! And speaking of, I guess Chorfs in 2023, ah well. I have 600+ hours in WH2 but it took me 3 years to do it.

DaysBefore posted:

That's a lot longer than I expected lmao. Would not want to be a CA social media person right now

Yeah gonna be a lot of luke warm red hot takes about how easy game development is today.

Kazzah
Jul 15, 2011

Formerly known as
Krazyface
Hair Elf
Man, they must be totally rebuilding the last 2 years of TW2 updates or something

Jarvisi
Apr 17, 2001

Green is still best.
To be fair they have to totally rebalance all the races from Warhammer 1 and 2. It's gotta be a ridiculous amount of work.

Kanos
Sep 6, 2006

I'm not really surprised at all by anything on the timeline here besides "Slaanesh and Tzeentch replenishment improvements" somehow taking until Q3.

Insurrectionist
May 21, 2007

Jarvisi posted:

To be fair they have to totally rebalance all the races from Warhammer 1 and 2. It's gotta be a ridiculous amount of work.

Yeah but they could probably have mentioned something about it before launching the game considering everyone including the youtubers and modding community was very vocal about expecting it within a couple months

There is no way they wouldn't know that like a year ago already at least

Nephthys
Mar 27, 2010

Kazzah posted:

Man, they must be totally rebuilding the last 2 years of TW2 updates or something

Jarvisi posted:

And also the whole concept of Immortal Empires is something unprecedented. Combining the maps for 3 different games and 25 races is bound to be a monumental task. I don't believe anything like this has been done before. There's likely a lot of reworking of textures to bring everything up to WH3's level for instance.

toasterwarrior
Nov 11, 2011

Nephthys posted:

And also the whole concept of Immortal Empires is something unprecedented. Combining the maps for 3 different games and 25 races is bound to be a monumental task. I don't believe anything like this has been done before. There's likely a lot of reworking of textures to bring everything up to WH3's level for instance.

The last attempt at a campaign map layer that big in TW was Empire, and it was a complete loving clusterfuck. Can't blame 'em.

Honestly, the only real disappointment I got is the Blood DLC being that far out. TW without giant blood explosions when artillery or whatever hits is just weird, and I've been playing these games long before the first blood DLC ever in a TW game (Shogun 2 IIRC) was even a fuckin thing

Kanos
Sep 6, 2006

Nephthys posted:

People are running off the assumption that that work was baked into the dev time of the game, and the best previous example we have of someone doing something like this is Mortal Empires itself, which came out a month after TWW2's release - in a rough form, but it was there and you could play it.

It's also somewhat concerning that the Q3 release is for a beta.

Foul Fowl
Sep 12, 2008

Uuuuh! Seek ye me?

Doomykins posted:

The bare minimum? Seriously? A single post for somebody to mouth breath in and keep beating the factually disproven "WH3 will be abandoned" drum? Did you not read the last panel?

It's a slower path than most would want, yeah. If somebody said "WH3 isn't a game you should get in the first year unless you really want to try the new races and pvp with them" I'd understand. Totally sensible. But they're clearly dedicated to improving the engine fundamentals, you know, that other drum being beaten to death, except this one rightfully so. Fixed ranged, fixed SEM, fixed balance issues, etc. All the fundamentals. Maybe not minor sieges, but maybe everything else being touched up gets there.

And as fast as you were to blurt out "just blood pack, game dead" I guess you missed regiments of renown, chaos warriors rework, Lord pack 1 and OH YEAH YOU CAN PLAY IE.

Come on. You're in such a hurry to kick CA your eyes somehow went right by your most precious totem! And speaking of, I guess Chorfs in 2023, ah well. I have 600+ hours in WH2 but it took me 3 years to do it.

Yeah gonna be a lot of luke warm red hot takes about how easy game development is today.

toxic positivity is very harmful op

PerilPastry
Oct 10, 2012

Kanos posted:

I'm not really surprised at all by anything on the timeline here besides "Slaanesh and Tzeentch replenishment improvements" somehow taking until Q3.

Yeah, that's the one thing that stood out to me as well. And I say this as a guy who totally regrets buying this at release.

Anyway, road map is gonna disappoint a ton of people but there's probably no arguing that they're better off ripping off the band aid like this rather than continually fending off outraged inquiries about IE and the blood pack.

toasterwarrior
Nov 11, 2011
Mortal Empires on release was certainly a beta. They took half a year to bring in proper DLC Norsca instead of endless chariot/skirmisher hell Norsca.

Jarvisi
Apr 17, 2001

Green is still best.

Kanos posted:

People are running off the assumption that that work was baked into the dev time of the game, and the best previous example we have of someone doing something like this is Mortal Empires itself, which came out a month after TWW2's release - in a rough form, but it was there and you could play it.

It's also somewhat concerning that the Q3 release is for a beta.

Mortal empires was in beta for a long time. I remember the load times were so loving bad it was almost unplayable

Kanos
Sep 6, 2006

My takeaway from all this isn't anything like "CA are incompetent fuckups who should be ashamed of how garbage they are", it's much more along the lines of "Wow, they really were forced to shove TWW3 out the door way before it was ready".

Jarvisi posted:

Mortal empires was in beta for a long time. I remember the load times were so loving bad it was almost unplayable

ME wasn't released or advertised as a beta. The long turn times were just part of the game that you had to deal with and they weren't presented as "oh don't worry we'll fix this!". The load time fix was an out-of-nowhere miracle that they figured out way down the road, and it also improved turn times in Vortex.

Kanos fucked around with this message at 11:37 on Apr 29, 2022

Arghy
Nov 15, 2012

Jesus TW3 has at most a months content before everyone will stop playing it haha. They really released it in beta--i thought they just weren't gonna do RoR for the game 3 races but this just haven't added them in yet hahaha :drat:.

toasterwarrior
Nov 11, 2011
Got a lot of reading done between battles and turns tho!

Kanos
Sep 6, 2006

Arghy posted:

Jesus TW3 has at most a months content before everyone will stop playing it haha. They really released it in beta--i thought they just weren't gonna do RoR for the game 3 races but this just haven't added them in yet hahaha :drat:.

RoR were later patch additions to TWW2 too, so that's not new or different.

Doomykins
Jun 28, 2008

Didn't you mean to ask about flowers?
SEM animation fixes before Blood DLC makes sense. Replenishment changes taking so long are odd, I'm certain you could slam in a brute force fix from the workshop today. Everything else.. about as expected. And I didn't play ME at release but the state of release WH2 and pre-potion of speed ME vs the last patch is night and day. IE in playable beta is a really heartening sign to me.

Foul Fowl posted:

toxic positivity is very harmful op

Pretend I quoted my snarky prediction and your qq response.

Doomykins fucked around with this message at 11:44 on Apr 29, 2022

Old Woman Island
Feb 21, 2011

Oh there was this also

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Mercrom
Jul 17, 2009

Kanos posted:

That part made me think the whole thing was a joke. It's the one thing on that list I'm absolutely certain I could mod into the game.