Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

A MIRACLE
Sep 17, 2007

All right. It's Saturday night; I have no date, a two-liter bottle of Shasta and my all-Rush mix-tape... Let's rock.

watho posted:

you’re not at all wrong but i’d argue it’s a bass line and not percussion at that point but w/e no use in mincing words

hip hop producers: its both

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

JamesKPolk
Apr 9, 2009

watho posted:

you’re not at all wrong but i’d argue it’s a bass line and not percussion at that point but w/e no use in mincing words

the whole genre of footwork i think has other ideas here

net work error
Feb 26, 2011

I'll tell you what it is, a good rear end time

B33rChiller
Aug 18, 2011

Needs a little bit more business trombone, then it'll be perfect.

Vvvvv well put, km

B33rChiller fucked around with this message at 17:24 on Apr 28, 2022

Kilometers Davis
Jul 9, 2007

They begin again

Something helpful in my opinion to remember is that music theory as a whole is descriptive, not prescriptive. It’s all describing and making sense of sounds. Sounds enjoyed and understood via the ear. If something sounds good, it is good. There’s no true way to do something “wrong” in music, only ways you can break traditional norms or play with them in new strange ways.

petit choux
Feb 24, 2016

net work error posted:

Playing an 808 kick chromatically as a synth is one of the few pleasures in life

Playing this Wavetek 164 using a SQ-1 is what is good. I spent all day trying to find the sweet spot and not long after I decided to give up, suddenly I was there. The VC and gate are both working, these SQ-1s have crazy limitations, but as such I'm having a lot of fun with it.

JamesKPolk
Apr 9, 2009

petit choux posted:

Playing this Wavetek 164 using a SQ-1 is what is good. I spent all day trying to find the sweet spot and not long after I decided to give up, suddenly I was there. The VC and gate are both working, these SQ-1s have crazy limitations, but as such I'm having a lot of fun with it.

:sickos:

SpaceGoatFarts
Jan 5, 2010

sic transit gloria mundi

Nap Ghost

JamesKPolk posted:

Interesting/funny to compare statements like these (don't mean to single you out, I've heard multiple people saying stuff like this over the years wrt techno and melody/tonality) with e.g. the techno threads on MW that are filled w/ advice for tuning your percs so they make chords that match the key you're in

I don't think either one is right, rather my point is they both are - it really depends on the track you're making, even within genres!

I usually tune my kick at least so it's pleasing with the rest of the track, but it's all by ear and not chromatically.

Techno is indeed very broad and you have super melodic stuff like music from Stefan Bodzin that I love, but since I have 0 musical background, I tend to do more minimal techno since it's easier for me (and still pleasing to my ears).

I was thinking more about tracks like this

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=jsvtcrdmLrU

I have no idea if it's chromatic/quantized but it sure does feel like it doesn't matter.

Even more complex tracks like this from Laurent Garnier sometimes have loops that feel completely random and unquantized (but maybe they aren't) and still sound great to me

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=_TP3ks06aQ4

Listening to a lot of techno made me realize I don't need music theory to make music and helped me getting rid of any preconception. Just turning knobs until it sounds good to my ears, and having fun in the process.

A good beat that's not basic 4/4 can be more difficult without any experience though, but even then I got good results with simple polyrhythms.

JamesKPolk
Apr 9, 2009

SpaceGoatFarts posted:

Listening to a lot of techno made me realize I don't need music theory to make music and helped me getting rid of any preconception. Just turning knobs until it sounds good to my ears, and having fun in the process.

I'm still laughing because again I had the opposite reaction to techno - especially with the very early Detroit stuff, my reaction was "oh poo poo I need to get my chops up". I did have almost that exact reaction to dubstep though. friggin music, folks... this has got a lot to do probably w/ what is in vogue genre/sub genre wise at various points in one's creative career/journey

also sorry, last thing I wanted to do was make you feel like you had to justify any of this!

B33rChiller
Aug 18, 2011

I appreciate reading people's thoughts about these kinds of things.
I am approaching what I do with synths from a similar place as SGF.
Difference being, techno has never really been my cup of tea. The music I've gravitated towards in the past has been industrial and metal. Guess that's part of why I so enjoy getting lost in patching and changing the sounds.
There is no way I can just come up with a musical idea and go make it. I don't have that kind of skill/proficiency yet. But what I can do is set up some rhythm generating modules, and spend hours experimenting until I hear something I like. Then try to add things on top, take away, warp, change, and don't forget to distort.

My own goals are purely enjoyment and learning through trying. If I accidentally into something enjoyable to listen to, that's gravy.

SpaceGoatFarts
Jan 5, 2010

sic transit gloria mundi

Nap Ghost

JamesKPolk posted:

also sorry, last thing I wanted to do was make you feel like you had to justify any of this!

No worry I didn't feel that way. Just took the opportunity to share my creative process with the thread.

Pollyanna
Mar 5, 2005

Milk's on them.

Way I see it, music composition is more like discovery and exploration. I barely know poo poo about gently caress when I make something, it ends up somewhere rather than reaches that place. Anything I’ve made, I’ve made basically on accident.

Simone Poodoin
Jun 26, 2003

Che storia figata, ragazzo!

I think some people can imagine something, then make it. Others can find things and put them together in a way that works. I'm definitely in the second group.

Design vs discovery in many ways

New Zealand can eat me
Aug 29, 2008

:matters:

Got my shipping notification for the TX-6 early this morning, it should be here on 5/4, allah willing. I knew it was small, but seeing someone hold it next to one of their pocket operators really drove the scale home for me. It's so fuckin tiny hahaha I can't wait

some kinda jackal
Feb 25, 2003

Ok guys I just want to throw this out there:

Microbrute is awesome.

It hits the spot for beep-boop-buzz functionality without overkill in a tight package and a nice simple subsynth was the one gizmo I was lacking in my vast array of noisemakers.

Slore Tactician
Aug 27, 2005
MOURN!
I won a pulsar-23 through perfect circuit!

…I may need more room.

Rod Hoofhearted
Jun 18, 2000

I am a ghost

Slore Tactician posted:

…I may need more room.

:stonk:

Congrats!

A MIRACLE
Sep 17, 2007

All right. It's Saturday night; I have no date, a two-liter bottle of Shasta and my all-Rush mix-tape... Let's rock.

Slore Tactician posted:

…I may need more room.

No fuckin way dude. I almost entered that yesterday haha. Ended up ordering the syntakt

watho
Aug 2, 2013

The real world will, again tomorrow, function and run without me.

Slore Tactician posted:

…I may need more room.

woah congrats! i wanted to enter but it was US only orz

rickiep00h
Aug 16, 2010

BATDANCE

some kinda jackal posted:

Microbrute is awesome.

It hits the spot for beep-boop-buzz functionality without overkill in a tight package and a nice simple subsynth was the one gizmo I was lacking in my vast array of noisemakers.

I miss mine every day. Sold it thinking I'd just get the same functionality in soft synths, and while that's true, it was the best *feeling* synths I ever owned. Something about the knob feel and pit resistance made it super satisfying to futz around with. And the filter section is just like nothing else I have (which is all Moog in hardware.)

Pollyanna
Mar 5, 2005

Milk's on them.

Slore Tactician posted:

…I may need more room.

:shittypop: that is a 2300 dollar machine

that is a macbook pro

—-

I got a Yamaha PSR-E353 from my brother, who didn’t want it. Aside from being a pretty decent EP, what else can I do with it? I saw that it’s got USB out to host.

Pollyanna fucked around with this message at 15:27 on Apr 29, 2022

net work error
Feb 26, 2011

Slore Tactician posted:

…I may need more room.

Sick! Hope you post pics and sound when you get it.

petit choux
Feb 24, 2016

https://soundcloud.com/tangible_animal_6/01-01-220426-2326-01-220427-2129a?utm_source=clipboard&utm_medium=text&utm_campaign=social_sharing

Check out about 5:30

petit choux fucked around with this message at 18:51 on Apr 29, 2022

petit choux
Feb 24, 2016

https://soundcloud.com/tangible_animal_6/goober-1-001

Cheese Thief
Oct 30, 2020
The syntakt doesn't sound very good the more I hear it.
and ^^ Those are some mario sounding underground bleeps, I"m sure you could do a lot from that if sampled.

Cheese Thief
Oct 30, 2020

A MIRACLE posted:

No fuckin way dude. I almost entered that yesterday haha. Ended up ordering the syntakt

Oh cool, the stuff I heard on youtube I was on the fence about for a few reasons, namely Octatrack is too important to not understand for me before buying the next thing but the chip stuff sounded great, Elektron knows a lot about SID chips.

petit choux
Feb 24, 2016

Cheese Thief posted:

The syntakt doesn't sound very good the more I hear it.
and ^^ Those are some mario sounding underground bleeps, I"m sure you could do a lot from that if sampled.

Yeah anybody is welcome to sample anything I put up, no obligations. These devices are really fun. I'm going to try running two of them from the SQ-1. I think it could be really fun. These things bring all kinds of character and color to a sound. I haven't opened up the box on one yet but I bet it's insane hardware.

Pollyanna
Mar 5, 2005

Milk's on them.

Thank you java for the TD-3 and Jonny 290 for the mixer rec! :bubblewoop:

Now all I need are more cables, a heavy board, and two of the missing legs on this thing:

Laserjet 4P
Mar 28, 2005

What does it mean?
Fun Shoe

Pollyanna posted:

Thank you java for the TD-3 and Jonny 290 for the mixer rec! :bubblewoop:

Now all I need are more cables, a heavy board, and two of the missing legs on this thing:

If that’s the kind of Millenium/Stagg standard X stand - unscrew the bottom leg with a hex wrench and flip it around so that it’s the same size.

1002s are cute, but you should’ve sprung for the FX version. The effects are decent and a bit of delay or verb on a TD3 doesn’t hurt :)

Jonny 290 cautions against it and I get where he’s coming from but those are at least virtualizer level effects and they don’t cost an aux and it’s not likely that you are going to get a mid level Lexicon or so yet but eh not a huge loss

Laserjet 4P fucked around with this message at 21:38 on Apr 29, 2022

Pollyanna
Mar 5, 2005

Milk's on them.

I can always use pedals or the NTS-1 on the TD-3, but having USB as a recording option is a worthwhile tradeoff IMO. Also this version was available for under 100 :v:

Kilometers Davis
Jul 9, 2007

They begin again

some kinda jackal posted:

Microbrute is awesome.

It’s amazing, so happy that was my first synth! I don’t think I’ll ever sell it.

Pollyanna
Mar 5, 2005

Milk's on them.

Laserjet 4P posted:

a bit of delay or verb on a TD3 doesn’t hurt :)

you are extremely right about this btw

https://youtu.be/wnEaXv2prc8

TD-3->NTS-1(flanger + delay to a particular timing)

petit choux
Feb 24, 2016

Pollyanna posted:

I got a Yamaha PSR-E353 from my brother, who didn’t want it. Aside from being a pretty decent EP, what else can I do with it? I saw that it’s got USB out to host.

Decently sensitive keys, a collection of "arpeggios" that should create some pretty interesting patterns, like 570 sounds, several drum kits, I dunno, I think maybe you better leave it with me. You should be able to use the drum kits pretty easily if you like. I bet its got some effects for its onboard sounds too that may be useful for you. Doesn't look like it has much sequencing capability but you can probably control it and/or its drum kits with your beatstep? I think you should have a pretty easy time using it as a controller or as a sound generator that you control externally if you like.

net work error
Feb 26, 2011

If I may do a little shameless promotion I did a small noise release with the Strega.

https://empradio.bandcamp.com/album/assorted-drones

Pollyanna
Mar 5, 2005

Milk's on them.

petit choux posted:

Decently sensitive keys, a collection of "arpeggios" that should create some pretty interesting patterns, like 570 sounds, several drum kits, I dunno, I think maybe you better leave it with me. You should be able to use the drum kits pretty easily if you like. I bet its got some effects for its onboard sounds too that may be useful for you. Doesn't look like it has much sequencing capability but you can probably control it and/or its drum kits with your beatstep? I think you should have a pretty easy time using it as a controller or as a sound generator that you control externally if you like.

It doesn’t have MIDI out :( I snatched it up for sketching/pianoing purposes, so it may be more useful as a practice instrument than anything.

duck.exe
Apr 14, 2012

Nap Ghost
I ordered a DIY sequencer module kit (https://division-6.com/products/dual-mini-sequencer/) and finished the soldering today but I must have messed up because the CV outputs aren’t working. I’ll order the completed version instead, but I think I‘ve acquired a taste for electronics tinkering. Might have to look through garage sales this summer for stuff to circuitbend.

petit choux
Feb 24, 2016

DukeDuke posted:

I ordered a DIY sequencer module kit (https://division-6.com/products/dual-mini-sequencer/) and finished the soldering today but I must have messed up because the CV outputs aren’t working. I’ll order the completed version instead, but I think I‘ve acquired a taste for electronics tinkering. Might have to look through garage sales this summer for stuff to circuitbend.

Well when you get it up and working, please give us a report. I've often wondered about those. And BTW, I'm not extremely good at soldering, so don't feel all alone. I'm better than I was a year ago but still.

I am just using the CV from a SQ-1 to control a couple of pieces of lab gear that were never intended for music but after all do work in the audible spectrum. Just making the creepiest noises. Got to say, they are topnotch analog audio signal generators. I think they can have some pretty good tone.

JamesKPolk
Apr 9, 2009

DukeDuke posted:

I built a couple of those and wouldn't mind doing some troubleshooting if you're interested. Think of it as circuit bending your own whiffed build! Off the top of my head, there were a lot of LEDs to line up w/ the panel (but that shouldn't matter), the output grounding was a little weird (could be this?) and there were a lot of things I was worried about messing up with the chip

petit choux posted:

Well when you get it up and working, please give us a report. I've often wondered about those. And BTW, I'm not extremely good at soldering, so don't feel all alone. I'm better than I was a year ago but still.

I am just using the CV from a SQ-1 to control a couple of pieces of lab gear that were never intended for music but after all do work in the audible spectrum. Just making the creepiest noises. Got to say, they are topnotch analog audio signal generators. I think they can have some pretty good tone.

I love em. Usable, easy interface, just great. I originally got them to do cv parameter lock style sequencing for FM weirdo poo poo but I've been having more fun using one into the other as a super arp or using them as the base for something generative. This is in Eurorack though

Pollyanna
Mar 5, 2005

Milk's on them.

Now that I’ve got a semblance of a hardware setup, I’ve been giving thought to pedals. Considering some DIYs of those, might do a chorus, reverb, and delay pedal at the least.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

B33rChiller
Aug 18, 2011

yeah, I have the single, standalone version, and bought it pre-assembled. Tiny form factor, takes 9V power, so easy to power it from a pedal power supply, or battery.
I seem to recall it being the lowest cost cv step sequencer I could find.