Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

DrSunshine
Mar 23, 2009

Did I just say that out loud~~?!!!

echopapa posted:

Census Bureau would be a strange cover in 1934, because the U.S. didn’t conduct a census that year. You could move it to 1930, pick some New Deal agency as a cover (WPA photographers?), or have Innsmouth folk be very skeptical.

Ah thanks for this tip!

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Helical Nightmares
Apr 30, 2009
So it's 420.

I got sent an article that a radio show was linking one of Lovecraft's works with 420. I am still skeptical.

quote:

April 20 marks 420 Day with tens of thousands of Americans celebrating the unofficial holiday honoring marijuana.

While several different explanations have been given, a definitive reason of why 420 is associated with marijuana has yet to be determined.

Steven Hager, a former editor of the popular marijuana-themed media outlet High Times told the New York Times in 2009 that the holiday started in honor of a ritual performed by California teenagers in the 1970s.

The then-high school students are said to have smoked marijuana every day at 4:20 p.m. and the number 420 became code for smoking the plant, with 4/20 being acknowledged for calendar purposes.

A group of Californians known as "the Waldos" have published documentation and verification to support the theory, however, it has not been proven that their claims are valid.

Another common belief is that 420 was the California penal code for marijuana, however, there is no evidence to support the claim, according to Snopes.com.

A separate theory traces 420 to the number of active chemicals in marijuana, though the plant is actually believed to have nearly 500 active chemicals, according to the book Cannabis and Cannaboids: Pharmacology, Toxicology, and Therapeutic Potential by researcher Ethan B. Russo.

A far less popular theory traces the 420 origin to the 1939 short story In the Walls of Eryx by H.P. Lovecraft and Kenneth Sterling, which describes "curious mirage-plants" that seem to resemble marijuana as getting the narrator high at 4:20, according to his watch, which would serve as the possible earliest documented link of marijuana to 420.

Regardless, the number is synonymous with marijuana and the legalization of the plant, which has gained momentum in recent years.

As of April 20, 2022, recreational marijuana is legal in 18 states and Washington, D.C., while medicinal marijuana is only illegal in 11 states.

sasha_d3ath
Jun 3, 2016

Ban-thing the man-things.
Smokin an eldritch doob at 4:20 is a pretty neat coincidence but I don't think it's more than that. Still, blaze it and praise it ("it" being the Old Ones).

Drone
Aug 22, 2003

Incredible machine
:smug:

Isn't eldritch weed an actual thing in Delta Green lore? Vaguely remember something about the Tcho-Tcho bringing it to the States and then someone commercializing it.

(not to restart the tcho-tcho conversation from ages ago... :ohdear:)

sasha_d3ath
Jun 3, 2016

Ban-thing the man-things.
It is, indeed, a milquetoast enough threat that it would frighten both Lovecraft AND the new DG writers.

Siivola
Dec 23, 2012

Black-lotus-as-a-street-drug has been in the metaplot since the OG DG days.

Edit: As have the Shub-Nicotine cigs.

DrSunshine
Mar 23, 2009

Siivola posted:

Black-lotus-as-a-street-drug has been in the metaplot since the OG DG days.

What if there was a MTG Card so rare and so expensive and so cool that it had eldritch, mind-warping properties and could drive you insane just by collecting it??? :aaaaa:

Drone
Aug 22, 2003

Incredible machine
:smug:

How useful/good is the Malleus Monstrorum for CoC 7th if I don't intend on ever running homebrewed adventures?

A family member repaid some money they've owned me for awhile and I've got a bit of cash burning a hole in my pocket. A hole that I would like to fill with pretty RPG products. The only CoC stuff I own so far is the investigator's guide/keeper's guide/keeper screen slipcase set. I've also never run CoC before, only played a bit of it (ran a decent amount of Delta Green though).

Alternatively was maybe looking at HotOE or Nyarlathotep, though that feels like jumping way into the very deep end.

Fake edit: and I guess speaking of Delta Green, how compatible is Malleus Monstrorum with nu-DG?

Megazver
Jan 13, 2006
Published material always supplies the monster blocks for the adventure, so not very.

I'd suggest grabbing Mansions of Madness, Dead Light and Other Dark Turns and Doors to Darkness, in order of my personal preference. That's twelve scenarios that are going to last you a couple of 3 hour sessions each.

If you want a longer campaign, I'd suggest A Time to Harvest instead of Masks. It's a shorter, gentler affair more suited for beginners.

mellonbread
Dec 20, 2017

Drone posted:

Fake edit: and I guess speaking of Delta Green, how compatible is Malleus Monstrorum with nu-DG?
The biggest difference is how the two systems handle scaling damage. Call of Cthulhu uses ever-increasing damage and HP values for monsters, while Delta Green switches over to the abstract lethality percentage system once you get past about 3D6 of damage. Rather than transacting large pools of monster HP, huge creatures in Delta Green typically have a lethality threshold, where anything below a certain lethality value doesn't hurt them, and anything above instantly splatters them.

I believe the best edition of the CoC monster manual was the 2006 book that had all the fake art and artifacts to illustrate the creatures.

Dr. Lunchables
Dec 27, 2012

IRL DEBUFFED KOBOLD

Megazver posted:

Published material always supplies the monster blocks for the adventure, so not very.

I'd suggest grabbing Mansions of Madness, Dead Light and Other Dark Turns and Doors to Darkness, in order of my personal preference. That's twelve scenarios that are going to last you a couple of 3 hour sessions each.

If you want a longer campaign, I'd suggest A Time to Harvest instead of Masks. It's a shorter, gentler affair more suited for beginners.

This is almost exactly what I would recommend as well. Mansions of Madness is a great book and a lot of fun.

moths
Aug 25, 2004

I would also still appreciate some danger.

It's easy to just pick a monster and reverse engineer a scenario around it - where it is that it shouldn't be, how it came to be there, who it endangers, why it's happening, etc.

But unless you're doing DIY scenarios there's little point in it.

I was very sad that the fake art and relics didn't sick around, it's among the best gaming books I've found.

midori-a-gogo
Feb 26, 2006

feeling a bit green
Hey, I'm a Japanese-English translator and a nerd. I started wondering recently if players outside Japan be interested in English versions of some of the materials available for 1923-1930s Japan.

There's an official sourcebook called "C'thulhu and the Empire" (クトゥルフと帝國) but also a lot of fan-created materials (帝都モノガタリ), which honestly are just as good. But since it would be a big undertaking I just wanted to see if anyone would actually be into it...

moths
Aug 25, 2004

I would also still appreciate some danger.

I'd be more surprised if people didn't want that.

fez_machine
Nov 27, 2004

midori-a-gogo posted:

Hey, I'm a Japanese-English translator and a nerd. I started wondering recently if players outside Japan be interested in English versions of some of the materials available for 1923-1930s Japan.

There's an official sourcebook called "C'thulhu and the Empire" (クトゥルフと帝國) but also a lot of fan-created materials (帝都モノガタリ), which honestly are just as good. But since it would be a big undertaking I just wanted to see if anyone would actually be into it...

Hell yeah!

People have been into Japan's Galapagos island style development of an RPG scene for a while now. Several successful kickstarters have been produced.

midori-a-gogo
Feb 26, 2006

feeling a bit green
Sweet, sorry if my question seemed a bit obvious - I love to play but I've never really interacted very much with the community so I'm a little clueless about what people beyond my friends are into. I guess next I need to see if Chaosium would be interested.

Lumbermouth
Mar 6, 2008

GREG IS BIG NOW

I am absolutely fascinated by both Japan and South Korea’s Cthulhu scene and I want to learn as much as I can about both.

DrSunshine
Mar 23, 2009

midori-a-gogo posted:

Sweet, sorry if my question seemed a bit obvious - I love to play but I've never really interacted very much with the community so I'm a little clueless about what people beyond my friends are into. I guess next I need to see if Chaosium would be interested.

Hell yeah. :respek: I've always heard that CoC was the biggest TTRPG in Japan instead of D&D and that the primary audience playing it was majority women so I would be fascinated to see what they have going on.

RocknRollaAyatollah
Nov 26, 2008

Lipstick Apathy

midori-a-gogo posted:

I would be since I own "Cthulhu and the Empire" and my Japanese isn't that great.

Badactura
Feb 14, 2019

My wish lives in the future.
I've always wanted to read Japaneselpp call of cthulhu stuff so yes please

Nessus
Dec 22, 2003

After a Speaker vote, you may be entitled to a valuable coupon or voucher!

midori-a-gogo posted:

I would eat that poo poo up like good pork curry on fresh rice, do it up if you've got the drive!

Dr. Lunchables
Dec 27, 2012

IRL DEBUFFED KOBOLD

Please post it, I’ve also been interested.

RudeCat
Aug 7, 2012

The rudest cat for the rudest jobs

I would like to see the translation.

Bumper Stickup
Jan 7, 2012

Mmm... Offshore Toast!

Grimey Drawer
Yeah that'd rule. Ever been fascinated by the CoC scene there for a while now and having translated material would be great.

Megazver
Jan 13, 2006

midori-a-gogo posted:

CoC fans are vaguely aware that there is a lot of popular untranslated material in Japan and South Korea and that the games are popular there. Hell, there are even some Asian CoC titles in the Bestselling Titles on DTRPG right now.

There is probably no point in talking to Chaosium, though. You'll probably have to talk to the authors of the Japanese stuff and ask them if they want to put an English translation in the Miskatonic Repository, (Chaosium's fan works program), which is how the Japanese stuff is currently being published anyway.

Bishop Beo
Jul 3, 2009
Has anyone here run The Uncanny Curse of Sekhmet before? I want to try something a fair bit pulpier than normal and the opening bit on this scenario seems pretty dang fun. Does the rest of scenario hold up?

Pththya-lyi
Nov 8, 2009

THUNDERDOME LOSER 2020
+1 to the Japanese translations, please. The only Japan sourcebook I've seen is Secrets of Japan and I didn't get very far in it -- the writing style was too precious. I have higher hopes for Japanese sourcebooks written by actual Japanese people.

BattleMaster
Aug 14, 2000

Secrets of Japan is one of those cringey "well-meaning racist" things that is so fawningly "Japan and Japanese people are so cool" that it ends up being stereotypical and racist. Like Japanese people starting off with higher Martial Arts and Bushido than non-Japanese.

Pththya-lyi
Nov 8, 2009

THUNDERDOME LOSER 2020
Yeah, that's what I was getting at, but I didn't want to dredge up a copy just to give an accurate example of what I was talking about. I do remember the book spends a bunch of time near the beginning explaining how the Japanese language works, which was mildly interesting to my weeby sensibilities but not terribly relevant to running adventures, you know? I'm glad I didn't go much further.

Nessus
Dec 22, 2003

BattleMaster posted:

Secrets of Japan is one of those cringey "well-meaning racist" things that is so fawningly "Japan and Japanese people are so cool" that it ends up being stereotypical and racist. Like Japanese people starting off with higher Martial Arts and Bushido than non-Japanese.
The only place I have ever seen anything like this make any sense was in GURPS WWII where if you were from Japan proper you had some quantifiable judo rules/maneuvers you could take which Joe Farmboy or Ivan Soldat did not have access to by default.

I think one of the things these sourcebooks did was basically provide consumer-interest textbooks on Facts About (The Thing); I remember this being a particular point of praise for GURPS books now. This is less important, if not exactly invalid, now, given this whole Internet thing.

long-ass nips Diane
Dec 13, 2010

Breathe.

Nessus posted:

The only place I have ever seen anything like this make any sense was in GURPS WWII where if you were from Japan proper you had some quantifiable judo rules/maneuvers you could take which Joe Farmboy or Ivan Soldat did not have access to by default.

I think one of the things these sourcebooks did was basically provide consumer-interest textbooks on Facts About (The Thing); I remember this being a particular point of praise for GURPS books now. This is less important, if not exactly invalid, now, given this whole Internet thing.

GURPS books are good for this, yeah. They usually have a halfway decent bibliography in there too. The caveat being, of course, that most of their historical sourcebooks are going on 30 years old at this point.

Nessus
Dec 22, 2003

long-rear end nips Diane posted:

GURPS books are good for this, yeah. They usually have a halfway decent bibliography in there too. The caveat being, of course, that most of their historical sourcebooks are going on 30 years old at this point.
Indeed, and while you might fairly think 'it's not like the past changes that quickly,' well, it kind of does, even if I imagine that many of the basic facts about, for instance, Roman daily life have not changed in our understand that much.

BattleMaster
Aug 14, 2000

Nessus posted:

So it's okay to make generalizations about soldiers from a given time and place. Not only are soldiers a relatively small subset of a country's population, but they are standardized intentionally through training and institutional culture and politics. So you could say "the Imperial Japanese Navy during World War II had good training, discipline, and morale overall but had training deficiencies in some areas like damage control and shunned the use of RADAR because Japanese RADAR was poor and unreliable" (which are all things that have come up in analyses of the IJN based on their war record by different authors in history books that I've read) and come up with a character template for an IJN sailor based on that. And this IJN sailor template would be notably different from one for a USN sailor, a Royal Navy sailor, etc..

It becomes lovely when a game says "All Japanese people, including every student, construction worker, office worker, subway driver, scientist, cop, etc., are automatically better at Martial Arts than foreigners because, uh, ninjas or something" or "All Japanese people start with Bushido at 10% while foreigners start with 0% Bushido because Japanese people embody the spirit of the Samurai or whatever the gently caress"

BattleMaster fucked around with this message at 07:30 on Apr 30, 2022

Nessus
Dec 22, 2003

BattleMaster posted:

It becomes lovely when a game says "All Japanese people, including every student, construction worker, office worker, subway driver, scientist, cop, etc., are automatically better at Martial Arts than foreigners because, uh, ninjas or something" or "All Japanese people start with Bushido at 10% while foreigners start with 0% Bushido because Japanese people embody the spirit of the Samurai or whatever the gently caress"
Aye the GURPS thing either had a half-point in Judo in the default 'Japanese infantryman' package or just noted they would have access to it (and in GURPS Judo and Karate allow you to do specific cool tricks even without karate magic tricks).

Really, CoC and GURPS are pretty comparable in a number of ways, given that both kind of build the system around the concept of PCs that are at most 'humans with bolt-on additions' in a way that some other game lines may not, and that both root heavily in skills.

But yeah Secrets of Japan looked pretty bad! I'd be way more interested to hear what the Japanese scene was doing with the concepts.

Kumo
Jul 31, 2004

Our pandemic response Zoom rpg group got burned out on 5e, so we started a Call of Cthulhu game.

During session zero we decided to play investigators in Hollywood in 1922 and I’m playing a well-heeled private investigator. Based on my limited experience it seems like a good starting character based on a good mix of investigative skills and general fun/utility, but I have about 60-70 points left over and am not sure where to put them.

Is it better to shore up skills north of 50%+ or branch out to things like Listen, First Aid or other skills?

DrSunshine
Mar 23, 2009

Kumo posted:

Our pandemic response Zoom rpg group got burned out on 5e, so we started a Call of Cthulhu game.

During session zero we decided to play investigators in Hollywood in 1922 and I’m playing a well-heeled private investigator. Based on my limited experience it seems like a good starting character based on a good mix of investigative skills and general fun/utility, but I have about 60-70 points left over and am not sure where to put them.

Is it better to shore up skills north of 50%+ or branch out to things like Listen, First Aid or other skills?

In my experience, the information gathering and defensive skills are well worth boosting up to >50% level. Spot Hidden, Psychology, Listen, Dodge, Library Use, or possibly your choice of Intimidate/Fast Talk/Charm/Persuade. It's better to have high numbers in 1 skill than a "somewhat better than baseline" in a number of skills.

Megazver
Jan 13, 2006
Every investigator wants to have 50+ in Spot Hidden, a speech skill, some kind of attack skill (brawl or some kind of a firearm), Library Use and Dodge. Beyond that, you guys should pick stuff to specialize in. A decent First Aid on couple of characters who aren't an M.D won't hurt.

Also, if your GM needs Hollywood CoC material, tell them to grab Shadows Over Filmland.

Lumbermouth
Mar 6, 2008

GREG IS BIG NOW

Megazver posted:

Every investigator wants to have 50+ in Spot Hidden, a speech skill, some kind of attack skill (brawl or some kind of a firearm), Library Use and Dodge. Beyond that, you guys should pick stuff to specialize in. A decent First Aid on couple of characters who aren't an M.D won't hurt.

Also, if your GM needs Hollywood CoC material, tell them to grab Shadows Over Filmland.

I ran a Hollywood CoC game before the pandemic hit and The Night I Died and The Final Reel were both great fun.

Kumo
Jul 31, 2004

Thank you for your replies!

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Helical Nightmares
Apr 30, 2009

midori-a-gogo posted:

Add me to the chorus of "Hell Yeah, Please do this!"

Kumo posted:

To add to what Megazver and Lumbermouth suggested about Hollywood CoC material, I'd also suggest your GM may want to take a look through the Trail of Cthulhu campaign book Eternal Lies because there is a Hollywood/LA arc to that campaign that could be worth mining for ideas.