Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Framboise
Sep 21, 2014

To make yourself feel better, you make it so you'll never give in to your forevers and live for always.

Lipstick Apathy
That somehow explains everything and nothing at the same time and y'know what? I'll roll with it

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Robviously
Aug 21, 2010

Genius. Billionaire. Playboy. Philanthropist.

Time to make a lasagna tier Garfield tribal deck, I guess

Kurieg
Jul 19, 2012

RIP Lutri: 5/19/20-4/2/20
:blizz::gamefreak:

Robviously posted:

Time to make a lasagna tier Garfield tribal deck, I guess

Jiro
Jan 13, 2004

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=C9Jn4vSxdMY

Prof's breakdown of the precons.

I Before E
Jul 2, 2012

https://www.moxfield.com/decks/r0aKfRsDH0ymzwWtJKp-pQ

Decided to try expanding one of my pet Arena Brawl decks into a full Commander deck, with a self imposed limit of about $10 per card. The game plan is mostly creating value to make big things I can turn sideways or big swarms I can turn sideways. Any tips as to how I can make it less vulnerable to removal?

LibrarianCroaker
Mar 30, 2010

The precon he opened that randomly had two copies of one half of the deck in it...

Heath
Apr 30, 2008

🍂🎃🏞️💦
Yeah that doesn't exactly inspire confidence

Toshimo
Aug 23, 2012

He's outta line...

But he's right!

Dude is just a crab in the pot at this point. Can't imagine giving these things an A in any reality.

syntaxfunction
Oct 27, 2010

I have been roped into the magics, big effort post from a new player. I genuinely enjoy the poo poo out of card games, and have a reasonable Pokemans collection that sadly sits unused because I love the game and no one else plays it lol

After two false starts trying to get into Magics (the first was just horrible people to deal with, the second involved an almost fistfight over a piece of loving cardboard) I gave it a shot this year with people I actually like. Turns out yes, it is a fun game as I remembered, and way more fun when you play with people that aren't shits!

Some things as a new player I've noted:
- I was very hesitant to play Magics at all because it was pitched to me as a good thing that you were forced to build a new deck every season. This was before Commander was well known or common.
- When I was told about Commander and that's what the girls I play with play mainly I was loving sold. It literally fixes the biggest problem I had with the whole idea.
- Draft is actually fun! The four of us pitch in for a Draft box every few months and do our own draft and that is a fun way to be exposed to new stuff.
- Organised play is not for me. If I had to go to a store to play this game I simply wouldn't. The whole experience is not good and unless everyone at the table can sign it won't be likely I could finish a game.

There was discussion about Commander as a bad format for playing with randos and honestly I can see that. One of the other reasons I don't bother with the big store experiences is if there's a shithead I cannot resist stirring the pot and giving them poo poo. And then I'd get kicked out likely. Pass. But with friends I enjoy playing with? loving excellent.

I've been enjoying Commander too because of the semi-expectation of sub-optimal play. I take it further because it's hilarious, like deliberately not having creatures because I only want to do Sorcery or Instants. Because my first few hands I got no creatures and I rolled with the improv theme. It's nice, and apparently has helped relax the other players and allowed them to just be sillier with home games, relieving a lot of pressure (social anxiety like hell). I think that's a win.

My girlfriend bought me the Kaldheim Elven Empire precon as my first deck, and it's a tonne of fun, and juuuust shitheady enough to entice me. I've bought some boosters (Forgotten Realms because that's all my very local store ever has lol) and swapped a few cards in. They are not optimal. But now my Elves are Warlocks and that's neat! I'm also going to go through the girls' vast collection of unused cards to build dumb decks of different types, so that's neat too. This game has a lot of possibilities and that's fun!

Lastly I do what I call "Cardboard Communism". Besides going in equally for boxes to share I also have some liquidity regularly enough since I've paused on buying music gear (protip: unless you're an insane whale your crazy Magic obsessions is peanuts to the stupidity of musicians) so I actually bought a set box of an older expansion (Kaldheim) because I missed all of them, older sets seem slightly cheaper and I can. I don't collect tho, so I have no need for an entire set box. The solution is to split it and just divvy up the box based on needs. So far in the four-ish boosters I've grabbed I've had about four cards I've opted to keep, the rest got put into the share pile, which everyone else has found uses for. For me this is optimal card game efficiency. Everyone wins!

Basically Magics has been really fun and surprisingly welcoming since playing with good people. Commander is definitely my favourite format, followed by Draft. I am not really interested in Standard right now.

The biggest thing for me is the ability to just put stuff together and not give a poo poo. gently caress the meta, gently caress your synergies, I just like the pretty cards and playing with people I care about. And this is good for that :)

Toshimo
Aug 23, 2012

He's outta line...

But he's right!

I Before E posted:

https://www.moxfield.com/decks/r0aKfRsDH0ymzwWtJKp-pQ

Decided to try expanding one of my pet Arena Brawl decks into a full Commander deck, with a self imposed limit of about $10 per card. The game plan is mostly creating value to make big things I can turn sideways or big swarms I can turn sideways. Any tips as to how I can make it less vulnerable to removal?

Play cheaper cards. Don't let your opponents untap before you kill them. Play more counterspells.

Your deck is telling me a lot of things:
• You don't want to buy or proxy the cards that really make it work (Training Grounds, Gaea's Cradle, etc.)
• You don't want to play mana acceleration.
• You don't want to make game-ending combos (Mystic Sanctuary + Extra Turns)
• You don't like using your cards (or graveyard) as a resource (you're running Reliquary Tower).

You can't put all those restrictions on a deck at the same time and expect it to be able to run with decks that don't have all those arbitrary restrictions. I'd recommend on letting up on at least a couple, if you want to have a deck that can beat 3 other people.

Batterypowered7
Aug 8, 2009

The mist that chills you keeps me warm.

Toshimo posted:

Play cheaper cards. Don't let your opponents untap before you kill them. Play more counterspells.

• You don't want to buy or proxy the cards that really make it work (Training Grounds, Gaea's Cradle, etc.)
• You don't like using your cards (or graveyard) as a resource (you're running Reliquary Tower).

You can't put all those restrictions on a deck at the same time and expect it to be able to run with decks that don't have all those arbitrary restrictions. I'd recommend on letting up on at least a couple, if you want to have a deck that can beat 3 other people.

So what you're saying is swap the Reliquary Tower for Temple of the False God, right?

Gynovore
Jun 17, 2009

Forget your RoboCoX or your StickyCoX or your EvilCoX, MY CoX has Blinking Bewbs!

WHY IS THIS GAME DEAD?!

You have Abundance, but no Sylvan Library?

Toshimo
Aug 23, 2012

He's outta line...

But he's right!

Gynovore posted:

You have Abundance, but no Sylvan Library?

I just chalked that up to Sylvan not being on Arena (because it started as a Brawl deck) and also it being 50bux.

I Before E
Jul 2, 2012

Toshimo posted:

I'm not sure what you mean by mana acceleration. I have ramp pieces in there because part of the point is getting a lot of landfall triggers, but I assume that mana acceleration is a different thing from that.

The hand size thing is mainly a holdover from what the goal of the deck on Arena was, getting Cultivator Colossus with a hand full of land to get a lot of triggers, but I definitely do have a tendency to hoard cards in hand. It's probably not as important for what the deck as is is trying to do.

On the price and game ending combos point, that's true enough. Part of the cost restriction is because I want to have to think around those high dollar cards and be tricky with my choices.

LibrarianCroaker
Mar 30, 2010

I Before E posted:

I'm not sure what you mean by mana acceleration. I have ramp pieces in there because part of the point is getting a lot of landfall triggers, but I assume that mana acceleration is a different thing from that.

The hand size thing is mainly a holdover from what the goal of the deck on Arena was, getting Cultivator Colossus with a hand full of land to get a lot of triggers, but I definitely do have a tendency to hoard cards in hand. It's probably not as important for what the deck as is is trying to do.

On the price and game ending combos point, that's true enough. Part of the cost restriction is because I want to have to think around those high dollar cards and be tricky with my choices.

You don't have the cheap ramp - rampant growth, nature's lore, farseek, three visits, sol ring, arcane signet, etc.

Bust Rodd
Oct 21, 2008

by VideoGames
If you’re running a Gretchen deck then you’ve got like 50 ways to find this card

and this card combined with your Seedborn Muse will allow you to activate Gretchen like 2-6 times on each players turn. You will PROBABLY win the game if you get this going, and you have like 30 viable options for tutoring a creature to your hand or play.

I Before E
Jul 2, 2012

Bust Rodd posted:

If you’re running a Gretchen deck then you’ve got like 50 ways to find this card

and this card combined with your Seedborn Muse will allow you to activate Gretchen like 2-6 times on each players turn. You will PROBABLY win the game if you get this going, and you have like 30 viable options for tutoring a creature to your hand or play.

I've realized this during the Moxfield playtesting, it is a mean, fun little card

Batterypowered7
Aug 8, 2009

The mist that chills you keeps me warm.

Bust Rodd posted:

Too bad Training Grounds isn't tutored up as easily or it would be a nice piece of redundancy.

Bust Rodd
Oct 21, 2008

by VideoGames
Yeah I mean obviously you COULD sleeve up Training Grounds or Wilderness Reclamation but I would honestly just sleeve up Green Sun’s Zenith instead of either of those cards and just go get my creatures instead. It’s so much easier for you to find and manipulate a creature in a UG deck, Simic doesn’t have any affinity for enchantments. The redundancy could come from just tutoring more aggressively.

Toshimo
Aug 23, 2012

He's outta line...

But he's right!

I Before E posted:

I don't know anything about Brawl or Arena really, so if this is a little lost in translation, bear with me:

Typically, in EDH, one of the important things your deck needs to do to keep pace, is to generate a lot of early mana. In particular, with the kind of deck you are running, I'd expect to see about 10-15 pieces of cheap ramp. And by cheap, I mean that you're in green and have access to about 10 pieces at 1 mana (various elves, wild growth, sol ring), and another dozen at 2 (signets/talisman, rampant growth, devoted druid). You basically want to vomit your entire hand onto the table ASAP, and then funnel that all into your commander to get further ahead. A 9-mana spell isn't ramp, it's a dead card.

Now, if you.can give a little more criteria on what you're looking for, I can definitely make better recommendations in your price range, but I need to be clear what you are.ruling out:
• Is a turns engine ok? (A la Mystic Sanctuary + Time Warp)
• Are you ok with infinite combos?
• Do you need to win with attackers?
• Are there specific cards that are iconic to your deck?
• Are you ok with stax effects? (cards that prevent your opponents from playing their cards the way they want)

Toshimo
Aug 23, 2012

He's outta line...

But he's right!
Fwiw, the reason I didn't immediately come in and slam my face.on the keyboard to yell TRAINING GROUNDS GREEN SUN SYLVAN is because the request had some reasonable budget constraints laid out and those all blow right past them.

Knot My President!
Jan 10, 2005

Anyone have some absurd and unusual deck lists that would be fun to bring to game nights? I love my Mogis deck and was thinking more of the same, but comprised entirely of stuff that just adds sheer chaos to the game. Stuff like this http://tappedout.net/mtg-decks/random-chaos-2/

But maybe blue / green because Imoti seems cool?

Toshimo
Aug 23, 2012

He's outta line...

But he's right!

Knot My President! posted:

Anyone have some absurd and unusual deck lists that would be fun to bring to game nights? I love my Mogis deck and was thinking more of the same, but comprised entirely of stuff that just adds sheer chaos to the game. Stuff like this http://tappedout.net/mtg-decks/random-chaos-2/

But maybe blue / green because Imoti seems cool?

This sort of thing is for a very specific crowd and a significant portion of players don't want to play that sort of game, so definitely talk with your group before attempting it.

Knot My President!
Jan 10, 2005

My group loves that kind of stuff. Or at the very least they’ve known me for ten years and love that I love to play that kind of stuff ;)

Bust Rodd
Oct 21, 2008

by VideoGames
Yeah I would for sure go do something else that night if anyone in my playgroup showed up with anything approaching a “Chaos” deck, just the epitome of long, drawn out meandering games with no end in sight where absolutely nobody’s deck functions.

Toshimo posted:

Fwiw, the reason I didn't immediately come in and slam my face.on the keyboard to yell TRAINING GROUNDS GREEN SUN SYLVAN is because the request had some reasonable budget constraints laid out and those all blow right past them.

I was confused why you’d even mention Training Grounds before Biomancer’s Familiar, considering how much better BF is in the deck and how much cheaper it is. I didn’t realize GSZ was a $40 card lol, but there are definitely dozens of budget tutors available

Balon
May 23, 2010

...my greatest work yet.
Hey Goons, I typically hate shilling my channel here but I'm like 100 subs away from hitting 10,000 on YouTube which is KIND OF A BIG THING so if you want hot EDH content please go sub:
https://www.youtube.com/c/CommanderMechanic/

Jiro
Jan 13, 2004

Balon posted:

Hey Goons, I typically hate shilling my channel here but I'm like 100 subs away from hitting 10,000 on YouTube which is KIND OF A BIG THING so if you want hot EDH content please go sub:
https://www.youtube.com/c/CommanderMechanic/

Donezo, I am currently digging your video on a modular deck.

Bust Rodd
Oct 21, 2008

by VideoGames
I’ve never watched your videos but everyone says you’re awesome and you get invited to the cool kids tables a lot so you must be doing something right! Tossed you a sub and shared you on tweeter

Edit: LMAO and as if they are trying to perfectly encapsulate the other side of content creators and how lovely they can be

https://twitter.com/wachelreeks/status/1520062424874819585?s=21&t=yfDJQqnatb-7YS8JoGkAzQ

what!?

Bust Rodd fucked around with this message at 16:34 on Apr 29, 2022

Balon
May 23, 2010

...my greatest work yet.

Jiro posted:

Donezo, I am currently digging your video on a modular deck.

Hell ya - a lot of people really liking this one. It’s a cool concept for everyone super indecisive about which direction to take a deck

Gynovore
Jun 17, 2009

Forget your RoboCoX or your StickyCoX or your EvilCoX, MY CoX has Blinking Bewbs!

WHY IS THIS GAME DEAD?!

Toshimo posted:

I just chalked that up to Sylvan not being on Arena (because it started as a Brawl deck) and also it being 50bux.

How can Sylvan be $50? It's been reprinted like 83 times.

Bust Rodd
Oct 21, 2008

by VideoGames
because it’s a 2 mana spell that draws you 3-15 cards over the course of a game of commander, that’s still pretty much unbeaten in terms of mana for cards

Heath
Apr 30, 2008

🍂🎃🏞️💦

Bust Rodd posted:

Edit: LMAO and as if they are trying to perfectly encapsulate the other side of content creators and how lovely they can be

https://twitter.com/wachelreeks/status/1520062424874819585?s=21&t=yfDJQqnatb-7YS8JoGkAzQ

what!?

Goddamn this is sad

Now I'm wondering if all the stuff about Blackneto was exaggerated too. He seems to be doing very well for himself for how supposedly toxic he is. It's wild how quickly the worm turned on this drama

Knot My President!
Jan 10, 2005

Bust Rodd posted:

Yeah I would for sure go do something else that night if anyone in my playgroup showed up with anything approaching a “Chaos” deck, just the epitome of long, drawn out meandering games with no end in sight where absolutely nobody’s deck functions.

I built my Mogis deck around (supporting) how my friends' decks play out and I plan on doing the same with the Chaos one. With Mogis, I tuned the deck so people go off with their combos and knock people out. I don't run land destruction, discards, etc. People started to realize that I'm valuable for their combos. We get twice as many games in and everyone loves to play with it.

With a random chaos deck, I'd be doing the same, but instead of whittling people down with damage and doubling damage for big swings like with Mogis, it would be less punishing game hasteners. My friends all have a bunch of decks and said that shaking up the games like this is something they actively enjoy. :shrug:

Bust Rodd
Oct 21, 2008

by VideoGames
You have to understand that when you say “chaos” in commander context, people think of stupid bullshit like Warp World, Scrambleverse, Possibility Storm, etc, all cards that effectively add 20-45 minutes of game time while everyone kind of looks at their cards and shrugs, casting something and hoping whatever effect ends up happening furthers the game along.

If your plan is to provide your opponents with resources like extra cards and mana to do things with, that’s a “group hug” deck, not a chaos deck. I’m not saying your idea would be impossible, but I’m really struggling to see how a deck that specifically aims to take control away from other players could possibly also make the games go faster.

Toshimo
Aug 23, 2012

He's outta line...

But he's right!

Gynovore posted:

How can Sylvan be $50? It's been reprinted like 83 times.

Are we talking about the same card? It has been reprinted in 2 limited promo products and 1 Masters set (with a $7-10/pack price point) in the last 25 years.

Knot My President!
Jan 10, 2005

Bust Rodd posted:

You have to understand that when you say “chaos” in commander context, people think of stupid bullshit like Warp World, Scrambleverse, Possibility Storm, etc, all cards that effectively add 20-45 minutes of game time while everyone kind of looks at their cards and shrugs, casting something and hoping whatever effect ends up happening furthers the game along.

If your plan is to provide your opponents with resources like extra cards and mana to do things with, that’s a “group hug” deck, not a chaos deck. I’m not saying your idea would be impossible, but I’m really struggling to see how a deck that specifically aims to take control away from other players could possibly also make the games go faster.

My end goal is to make a deck that plays with specific decks my friends play that makes sure games don’t last forever. My shower thought is figuring out what pieces their decks are missing due to color restrictions and deck optimization that bar them from going huge, and at the same time make sure it’s equitable for everyone so it doesn’t feel like one player overwhelms the game and that player doesn’t feel they really did much differently and make the win feel unearned. The big thing though is figuring out how to do so with elements that otherwise drag out games as you’ve mentioned. This may be difficult to achieve but it is a fun thought piece.

From what I’ve read, group hug is more about overwhelming with gifts and using that as a win con through cards like the draw 1 draw 7 enchantment. A spin in my head would be enchantments that allow people to discard cards to deal damage that I could copy and gift to people.

I’m not saying the deck would work, but unusual decks like this sound cool to me. I think there’s a lot that can be explored when you’re (only) playing with a consistent group of the same 4ish people

Jiro
Jan 13, 2004

Bust Rodd posted:

what!?

Christ on a cross I don't think I've ever seen something have such a quick awful turn around as far as creator intent than this channel.

I loved the original episodes with Kyle, Cassius, Prof, and Post. :smith:

Bust Rodd
Oct 21, 2008

by VideoGames

Knot My President! posted:

My end goal is to make a deck that plays with specific decks my friends play that makes sure games don’t last forever. My shower thought is figuring out what pieces their decks are missing due to color restrictions and deck optimization that bar them from going huge, and at the same time make sure it’s equitable for everyone so it doesn’t feel like one player overwhelms the game and that player doesn’t feel they really did much differently and make the win feel unearned. The big thing though is figuring out how to do so with elements that otherwise drag out games as you’ve mentioned. This may be difficult to achieve but it is a fun thought piece.

From what I’ve read, group hug is more about overwhelming with gifts and using that as a win con through cards like the draw 1 draw 7 enchantment. A spin in my head would be enchantments that allow people to discard cards to deal damage that I could copy and gift to people.

I’m not saying the deck would work, but unusual decks like this sound cool to me. I think there’s a lot that can be explored when you’re (only) playing with a consistent group of the same 4ish people
FWIW, your first paragraph is basically exactly how one would describe a “group hug” deck, so that really seems like what you meant when you said “chaos”, which doesn’t really have anything to do with what your talking about. It’s not your fault, but those terms have very specific meanings in this format, which is why some of us balked at “chaos”.

What you’re describing is a deck for these two

For giving people off color permanents to help them out

Or this guy

for getting people to discard their bullshit or giving them bad permanents.

Most hug decks I’ve seen go Green to give people mana, but that leads to the ultimate issue with these kinds of decks: the player who goes immediately after you in turn order basically just gets a huge advantage over the rest of the table, which is why I like Blim as kind of the anti-hug-hug deck. The person to your left is just getting to untap and do their turn with a hugely disproportionate amount of their own resources to play with before the other two players get to and after you’ve spent your resources to do it. You essentially have to spend half your time distributing resources and the rest of the game kneecapping the player immediately after you otherwise they basically just get to rewrite turn order.

Fajita Queen
Jun 21, 2012

Bust Rodd posted:

what!?

I've never seen someone go from beloved community icon to absolute scum of the earth in such a short amount of time. gently caress Lynch.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Jiro
Jan 13, 2004

Heath posted:

Goddamn this is sad

Now I'm wondering if all the stuff about Blackneto was exaggerated too. He seems to be doing very well for himself for how supposedly toxic he is. It's wild how quickly the worm turned on this drama

According to the Reddit thread when it all came out, there were plenty of Discord screenshots of Joe just going off on people, and getting real salty when people targeted him. I'd be more inclined to believe that they're both assholes and probably deserve one another.

It is kinda disappointing to see Gobert-Hicks and Cassius show up on Table Top Jocks, but content creators gotta do their thing I guess.