Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Ellie Crabcakes
Feb 1, 2008

Stop emailing my boyfriend Gay Crungus

Remulak posted:

Anything by DePalma is great!
Phantom of the Paradise is his only good film.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Late Unpleasantness
Mar 26, 2008

s m o k e d

The Mighty Moltres posted:

Wait, that's not what he said? I just thought it was some weird British slang.

He did say in the circus. It's slang from Le Carré novels where British intelligence HQ is in Cambridge Circus.

Mierenneuker
Apr 28, 2010

We're all going to experience changes in our life but only the best of us will qualify for front row seats.

Rockman Reserve posted:

I've taken to just watching stuff that I know is going to be mixed like absolute dogshit (like any modern action movie, really) with subtitles on. You don't miss any dialogue, you don't blow out your speakers or eardrums, it doesn't scare the hell out of my dog, and sometimes there's fun errors like Alfred in The Batman saying he remembers something from his time "in the service" being transcribed as "in the circus".

Sometimes the subs just get really bad with their mistakes though. I was watching some Boardwalk Empire on HBO Max yesterday. Early in the second season there was an episode where I seriously think the subtitler just used the same kind of automatic subtitle generation that Youtube uses. They just edited it so it had proper grammar and punctuation, but so much of it went in a completely different direction of what actually was being said.

I know especially streaming services have issues with subtitles because the people doing it are underpaid, have horrible deadlines and may not overtly familiar with the culture/era they are translating. But in this case it were English subtitles for a show that is a decade old. If you're not getting that right... jeez. Maybe it's exactly because it's an older show, because the English subtitles for The Wire (2002-2007) have various formatting issues. Almost like they copy-pasted the subtitles from a text file, but didn't preview and clean them up afterwards.

It's your fault, internet. You and your terrible obsession to watch all the things ASAP. Because you need to talk about the latest thing on your website, your socials, your Discord, your dead forums.

(See also: https://www.cnet.com/culture/entertainment/features/inside-the-dying-art-of-subtitling/ )

Mierenneuker has a new favorite as of 10:12 on Apr 29, 2022

Alhazred
Feb 16, 2011

Mierenneuker posted:

Sometimes the subs just get really bad with their mistakes though.

There's an infamous example from Norway when make up sex was translated in a really literal way during a Seinfeld episode. I can only Imagine people going "baby, I want to try... something" and then taking out the lipstick and mascara after watching the episode.

FreudianSlippers
Apr 12, 2010

Shooting and Fucking
are the same thing!

In the Icelandic subtitles for JFK they translate "The American Bar Association" as basically "Association of American Tavern Owners".

Andohz
Aug 15, 2004

World's Strongest Smelly Hobo
On the flip side of this I think the best subtitles I've seen were the Swedish subtitles on Tromeo & Juliet. I learned new Swedish curse words when watching it as a teenager.

Carthag Tuek
Oct 15, 2005

Tider skal komme,
tider skal henrulle,
slægt skal følge slægters gang

Mierenneuker posted:

Sometimes the subs just get really bad with their mistakes though. I was watching some Boardwalk Empire on HBO Max yesterday. Early in the second season there was an episode where I seriously think the subtitler just used the same kind of automatic subtitle generation that Youtube uses. They just edited it so it had proper grammar and punctuation, but so much of it went in a completely different direction of what actually was being said.

I know especially streaming services have issues with subtitles because the people doing it are underpaid, have horrible deadlines and may not overtly familiar with the culture/era they are translating. But in this case it were English subtitles for a show that is a decade old. If you're not getting that right... jeez. Maybe it's exactly because it's an older show, because the English subtitles for The Wire (2002-2007) have various formatting issues. Almost like they copy-pasted the subtitles from a text file, but didn't preview and clean them up afterwards.

It's your fault, internet. You and your terrible obsession to watch all the things ASAP. Because you need to talk about the latest thing on your website, your socials, your Discord, your dead forums.

(See also: https://www.cnet.com/culture/entertainment/features/inside-the-dying-art-of-subtitling/ )

When netflix first came to Denmark, I swear they literally had warez subs. I vividly remember them ending with like "brought to you by -=SubStar2k=-" type poo poo.

Strom Cuzewon
Jul 1, 2010

The Icelandic translation of Dracula has massive story changes from the original because the translator thought he could do a better job. And nobody thought to check up on him for decades.

I think they've just translated his version into English.

Carthag Tuek
Oct 15, 2005

Tider skal komme,
tider skal henrulle,

Also I remember a Simpsons episode where Homer is drunk or something and says "[...], Lisa" and Bart answers "I'm Bart." The Danish subtitles had translated it as if he said "I'm bored".

I'm pretty sure the cheap subtitlers go by sound only, because so often the context is completely divorced from the scene contents.

Generally, the Danish subs on public service stations are high quality though (Simpsons was on TV3, a garbage satelite channel)

Carthag Tuek has a new favorite as of 14:51 on Apr 29, 2022

Nostradingus
Jul 13, 2009

I just watched the Castle of Cagliostro on Netflix and the subtitles were substantially different from what was being spoken. I suspect the subtitles were a more direct translation of the original Japanese while the English dub took some liberties with the plot. It was really discombobulating

old bean factory
Nov 18, 2006

Will ya close the fucking doors?!

Carthag Tuek posted:

Also I remember a Simpsons episode where Homer is drunk or something and says "[...], Lisa" and Bart answers "I'm Bart." The Danish subtitles had translated it as if he said "I'm bored".

I'm pretty sure the cheap subtitlers go by sound only, because so often the context is completely divorced from the scene contents.

Generally, the Danish subs on public service stations are high quality though (Simpsons was on TV3, a garbage satelite channel)

lmao I remember this episode. They ran so frequently, and usually had a rerun of last night's episode the following day for good measure. It's no wonder classic Simpsons is so ingrained in my head now.

Phy
Jun 27, 2008

Fun Shoe

Nostradingus posted:

I just watched the Castle of Cagliostro on Netflix and the subtitles were substantially different from what was being spoken. I suspect the subtitles were a more direct translation of the original Japanese while the English dub took some liberties with the plot. It was really discombobulating

I've noticed that occasionally too, the Netflix English subtitles are subs (as in, a translation of the dialogue) and not closed captioning of the dub track. Which is annoying when you're in the habit of watching with captions but you've heard the dub is pretty good.

Actually, now I wonder how they handled captioning on such like Cowboy Bebop where the dub got way more popular than the original.

But yeah it's usual for the dub to depart from the literal translation more than the subs do. At the very least, the dub has to match the lip flaps, so even a good sub translation that communicates not just the words, but the tone behind them, might not work when spoken unless the phrasing is monkeyed with.

Keromaru5
Dec 28, 2012

Pictured: The Wolf Of Gubbio (probably)

This avatar made possible by a gift from the Religionthread Posters Relief Fund

Phy posted:

But yeah it's usual for the dub to depart from the literal translation more than the subs do. At the very least, the dub has to match the lip flaps, so even a good sub translation that communicates not just the words, but the tone behind them, might not work when spoken unless the phrasing is monkeyed with.
My roommate recently decided he wanted to watch Planetes, which I have on DVD, and I had to tell him it wouldn't be a good idea to watch the dub with subs turned on, for exactly this reason.

A while back I read an interesting article about Metal Gear Solid's translation, and how it originated a lot of jargon for the series, and what kind of liberties it took to make it sound more natural as spoken dialogue. Unfortunately, Kojima hated those liberties, which is why MGS2 and Twin Snakes have much more literal and stilted translations.

Carthag Tuek
Oct 15, 2005

Tider skal komme,
tider skal henrulle,

Phy posted:

I've noticed that occasionally too, the Netflix English subtitles are subs (as in, a translation of the dialogue) and not closed captioning of the dub track. Which is annoying when you're in the habit of watching with captions but you've heard the dub is pretty good.

Actually, now I wonder how they handled captioning on such like Cowboy Bebop where the dub got way more popular than the original.

Yeah definitely having two different competing translations is just a recipe for disaster. They have different goals (lip sync/tone vs reading clarity) and techniques that just don't work together. In my opinion it's a hard either/or.

Panfilo
Aug 27, 2011

EXISTENCE IS PAIN😬
My IMM about Look Whose Talking is that every time I hear I Get Around by the Beach Boys it just brings up the mental image of that sperm and egg sequence from the movie.

Bussamove
Feb 25, 2006

I remember Night Watch and Day Watch having both surprisingly good and entertainingly done subtitles for low-ish budget Russian movies.

flavor.flv
Apr 18, 2008

I got a letter from the government the other day
opened it, read it
it said they was bitches

There was a big German publisher that used to insert product placement into the actual text of the novels it published

This was their standard practice for decades until Sir Terry Pratchett found out that there were unauthorized ads in all the Discworld books and got a little upset about it

It wasn't subtle either, the narration would just stop in the middle of the story and switch to multiple paragraphs about how the characters might be doing better if only they'd had access to a magic spell that could create delicious, nourishing soup in only five minutes and how lucky you, the reader, are to live in a world with Maggi instant soup, with the loving logo printed right on the page

Carthag Tuek
Oct 15, 2005

Tider skal komme,
tider skal henrulle,

flavor.flv posted:

There was a big German publisher that used to insert product placement into the actual text of the novels it published

This was their standard practice for decades until Sir Terry Pratchett found out that there were unauthorized ads in all the Discworld books and got a little upset about it

It wasn't subtle either, the narration would just stop in the middle of the story and switch to multiple paragraphs about how the characters might be doing better if only they'd had access to a magic spell that could create delicious, nourishing soup in only five minutes and how lucky you, the reader, are to live in a world with Maggi instant soup, with the loving logo printed right on the page

rofl thats incredible

Tunicate
May 15, 2012

Nostradingus posted:

IIRC there were rights kerfuffles about the original Arsene Lupin, and that the dub is probably the one that calls him 'Wolf', right?

christmas boots
Oct 15, 2012

To these sing-alongs 🎤of siren 🧜🏻‍♀️songs
To oohs😮 to ahhs😱 to 👏big👏applause👏
With all of my 😡anger I scream🤬 and shout📢
🇺🇸America🦅, I love you 🥰but you're freaking 💦me 😳out
Biscuit Hider

Tunicate posted:

IIRC there were rights kerfuffles about the original Arsene Lupin, and that the dub is probably the one that calls him 'Wolf', right?

A bit ironic considering LeBlanc's own clash with the Doyle estate.

Grendels Dad
Mar 5, 2011

Popular culture has passed you by.

Carthag Tuek posted:

rofl thats incredible

German product placement was wild for a while. I don't have a timeframe for the Pratchett thing, but in the early 90s there was a popular daily soap that was absolutely audacious in its use of product placement. Like, there was a family at the breakfast table having a conversation, and the camera would zoom in on the various Products on the table, neatly arranged with their labels facing the camera, with the family completely off frame but still talking. It was completely bizarre and I wish I could find clips of it. The show makers got into huge trouble over this and for a few years now they have to either have a warning that the current episode features product placement, or they have to use in-universe brands with their own labels and whatnot.

VictualSquid
Feb 29, 2012

Gently enveloping the target with indiscriminate love.

flavor.flv posted:

I remember those. They were in a lot of sci/fy books, I remember them in the Mechwarrior novels, the Shadowrun novels and of course Discworld. They also showed up in other places.
I don't actually remember if they ever had other advertisers then maggi instant soups, tho.

Bussamove
Feb 25, 2006

I’d read the Maggi Instant Soup Extended Universe.

That Italian Guy
Jul 25, 2012

We need the equivalent of the shrimp = small pastry avatar, but for ambulances and their mysteries now.

VictualSquid posted:

I remember those. They were in a lot of sci/fy books, I remember them in the Mechwarrior novels, the Shadowrun novels and of course Discworld. They also showed up in other places.
I don't actually remember if they ever had other advertisers then maggi instant soups, tho.
Clan Soup, of course, weights half as much and has a wider taste range. Unfortunately it's only half as hot.

LIVE AMMO COSPLAY
Feb 3, 2006

In The Matrix (1999) Morpheus clearly states that humans are only batteries and that the power is generated by a form of fusion. Given the current state of battery technology this seems almost plausible, so I give anyone making fun of the movie 9 out of 10 Pinocchios.

Cowslips Warren
Oct 29, 2005

What use had they for tricks and cunning, living in the enemy's warren and paying his price?

Grimey Drawer

Panfilo posted:

My IMM about Look Whose Talking is that every time I hear I Get Around by the Beach Boys it just brings up the mental image of that sperm and egg sequence from the movie.

"Good Vibrations" always gives me the loving chills after Us.

Damnit why was that movie so amazing until the end.

bitterandtwisted
Sep 4, 2006

"Don't stop me now" always makes me think of Shaun of the Dead.
tbh that make me like it more.

Mierenneuker
Apr 28, 2010

We're all going to experience changes in our life but only the best of us will qualify for front row seats.

Cowslips Warren posted:

I associate "Good Vibrations" with Vanilla Sky myself.

TECH SUPPOOOOORT

MariusLecter
Sep 5, 2009

NI MUERTE NI MIEDO

Cowslips Warren posted:

Until the end?

Mamkute
Sep 2, 2018
Naruto Episode 20: Wow, Sakura seems extra toxic in this episode, smacking a small child was a step too far. She needs help. Also, who would teach preschoolers algebra (though Udon could have just taught himself that subject)?

Mamkute has a new favorite as of 05:27 on May 3, 2022

Neito
Feb 18, 2009

😌Finally, an avatar the describes my love of tech❤️‍💻, my love of anime💖🎎, and why I'll never see a real girl 🙆‍♀️naked😭.

Nostradingus posted:

This also has something to do with the culture around anime translation and the subs vs. dubs debate; subs are often considered to be for the fans who want a more literal translation and know or are willing to look up terms that are more esoteric whereas dub fans are more... I don't want to say casual, but only because I disagree with that characterization. It's often to the point that the type of subs you (rightly) want are derided as "Dubtitles".

Mierenneuker
Apr 28, 2010

There is nothing esoteric about keikaku, my mikata.

Marcade
Jun 11, 2006

Who are you to glizzy gobble El Vago's marshmussy?

Mierenneuker posted:

*translator's note, Mierenneuker means ant fucker*

Beachcomber
May 21, 2007

Another day in paradise.

Slippery Tilde
Why was the butcher shop open Christmas morning in A Christmas Carol? That goose should have stayed there until Dec. 26.

Panfilo
Aug 27, 2011

EXISTENCE IS PAIN😬

Beachcomber posted:

Why was the butcher shop open Christmas morning in A Christmas Carol? That goose should have stayed there until Dec. 26.

The butcher was Jewish maybe?

Morpheus
Apr 18, 2008

My favourite little monsters
In The Little Mermaid, Ariel sings about wanting to be part of the surface world, citing things like legs, jumping, dancing, but has problems remembering the word 'feet' somehow.

Neito
Feb 18, 2009

😌Finally, an avatar the describes my love of tech❤️‍💻, my love of anime💖🎎, and why I'll never see a real girl 🙆‍♀️naked😭.

Mierenneuker posted:

NGL that joke sub summed up the problem with anime subs (fansubs especially) in one image better than several thousand words could.

Beachcomber
May 21, 2007

Another day in paradise.

Slippery Tilde

Morpheus posted:

In The Little Mermaid, Ariel sings about wanting to be part of the surface world, citing things like legs, jumping, dancing, but has problems remembering the word 'feet' somehow.

Crabs have legs, and I think what her sisters were doing at the start of the movie was a kind of dancing. Mermaids can jump out of the water like dolphins.

Hope this helps sooth your troubled mind.

Jedit
Dec 10, 2011

Proudly supporting vanilla legends 1994-2014

Morpheus posted:

That was a thing in the original story, too.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Tunicate
May 15, 2012

Morpheus posted:

Mermaids use the metric system.