Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

DOPE FIEND KILLA G
Jun 4, 2011

hey—who the gently caress touched my brie!?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

DOPE FIEND KILLA G
Jun 4, 2011

completed my first soldering job today—had an output jack that had somehow fallen out of the body and snapped a wire. got the new one in there and it works, but think i'm gonna have to re-do it in the long run though, i wired it upside down so it didn't fit perfectly in the cavity, so if I bump my chord the wrong way sometimes i'll lose signal. at least it plays again, and i think those solder fumes i breathed in are giving me all sorts of good ideas. ftw

Jonny 290
May 5, 2005

[ASK] me about OS/2 Warp
Fun! I've got to go do an output jack on one of my 6ers. It's got a fancy Carvin preamp in it, but for some reason even with the cable unplugged it lets a milliamp of current flow through the preamp, so I gotta either put the battery in only when i want to play in active mode or they die in like a day. Super annoying - for now i just play it in passive.

nitsuga
Jan 1, 2007

roomtone posted:

anybody got suggestions on what i could do to emulate the tone on this solo:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=UzrkAAkl38Y&t=74s

got a cube 10 gx if it matters, otherwise can work with daw plugins

She’s got some cool jams there. Thanks for sharing.

Anyway, try the switching to your bridge pickup, then on the amp I’d try the crunch setting with the gain rolled off or the clean setting with the gain high enough to get some grit. Definitely some reverb but try the spring reverb setting too and keep the EQ at 12 and adjust as you see fit.

BizarroAzrael posted:

Am thinking about picking up one of Harley Benton kit guitars, quite possibly their Jazzmaster copy. There's actually a contest on to customize one, which might be fine if not a little ambitious given I think I'd have until mid-June and I absolutely won't win in any case. I've also not found access to any wood working facilities for it yet, as I'd definitely want the proper setup for trimming the headstock.

But setting that aside, this seems like a good opportunity to muck around with some new stuff. With it's longer fret scale, would it be worth trying out thicker gauge strings on it? One other point of interest is that it would be my first P90 guitar, although they are a fairly horrible hearing-aid beige. I'd definitely try them out but perhaps a good way to try swapping pickups out on something.

I’d say go for it. The more stripped down circuitry and tune-o-magic bridge should make the build and setup a fair bit easier. It’ll probably have some quirks, but think of it like a journey where you learn a bunch and can enjoy what you’ve made. And then on subsequent journeys you learn more and then enjoy what you’ve made even more.

Jonny 290
May 5, 2005

[ASK] me about OS/2 Warp
If i were taking that tone on i'd definitely get a phaser in line - light settings, not too much - and some spring reverb. not sure on the amp but i'd probably start with like a jtm45 model or something like that?

I love P90s. I have an SX fat tele that i've been loving with over the past couple years and I put a cheap bucker-sized P90 in the neck and fell in love with it all over again.

ColdPie
Jun 9, 2006

Just woke up from a dream where the side dots were in the wrong frets and I was very confused.

landgrabber
Sep 13, 2015

syntaxfunction posted:

gently caress yeah, that's awesome. And honestly there's songs where the the technical difficulty of the song doesn't matter with the time to learn it for some reason. There's a couple Pumpkins songs I still can't play properly for some loving reason and they aren't the shreddy hard ones lmao

But seriously that's awesome :cool:

yeah it’s mainly that there’s a lot of muting on it. it’s almost part of the sound of the song. you’re playing the third and fourth string and strumming through almost everything, and you kind of have to use your whole hand to mute everything.

i’ve spent a lot of time lately learning basic triad shapes on the high strings, and that’s really helped me unlock the fretboard more.

biggest thing lately is i look at some tabs or chord diagrams and i have no loving idea what the finger positioning should be.

yesterday i had an insane hyperfocus period and i played for like five hours straight. it was super fun

nitsuga
Jan 1, 2007

Triads are legit a thing I picked back up because of you, landgrabber. Glad to hear you had a good session too.

Dr. Faustus
Feb 18, 2001

Grimey Drawer
Hey kids. Just popping in from learning and practicing to report that our final rehearsal for the 05/07 show is most likely a five hour session on Saturday.

I still have four (three stupid easy and one medium easy) songs to learn and a lot of simple transition polishing to do (just remembering all the stops and changes without stressing about it.)

Gear note: Just in time, Fractal added a Song/Setlist Manager to the firmware so I just loaded all 30-something songs in there and pointed them to the right patches and scenes, in set order. After each song I can tap advance one, or tap back one. Anything more than that and I have to go to the front panel and edit the setlist there. It's supposed to be very easy but I am told I have the final setlist. I also figured out how to get an external switch to mute me and pull up my tuner, which is helpfully displayed right on my foot controller. I have more switches but limited floor space, and I give myself the luxury of three EXP pedals. They can do so many things. What I am saying is the technology is amazing, the tones are all there no matter what weird 80's trick you're looking for (The Look, for example.) If it's a classic tone you need that's all in there, too; but there's very little in this realm a JCM800 can't pull off in a pinch. It's a lot of words to say I am supposedly almost gig-ready but now the nerves are setting in.

None of this is difficult to play, it's just a huge amount of arrangements with some odd breaks and changes thrown in there times 30+ songs (just enough for show night) and we're likely doing this on three rehearsals after having to release the first two drummers and losing three rehearsals over that alone. We haven't played our first show yet and our second at that venue was just confirmed for July. There's a festival in June. One possible large event and a couple very important venues that won't tolerate us if we sound like a garage band at any time. I think I've got this, as in confidence is high; but the limited prep time is going to have all of us especially on our toes. Failure's not an option.

It's a lot of material, and very little of it is great fun to play. The majority of it is kinda fun and some of it is of course just a drag. I'll spare you the rest of the details, they are fairly predictable but with a few weird twists. Perhaps ironically, the big hair band ballads suck the most to play and the rocking lady anthems are generally kick-rear end and fun as Hell. Who knew?

Skrill.exe
Oct 3, 2007

"Bitcoin is a new financial concept entirely without precedent."

Dr. Faustus posted:

Hey kids. Just popping in from learning and practicing to report that our final rehearsal for the 05/07 show is most likely a five hour session on Saturday.

I still have four (three stupid easy and one medium easy) songs to learn and a lot of simple transition polishing to do (just remembering all the stops and changes without stressing about it.)

Gear note: Just in time, Fractal added a Song/Setlist Manager to the firmware so I just loaded all 30-something songs in there and pointed them to the right patches and scenes, in set order. After each song I can tap advance one, or tap back one. Anything more than that and I have to go to the front panel and edit the setlist there. It's supposed to be very easy but I am told I have the final setlist. I also figured out how to get an external switch to mute me and pull up my tuner, which is helpfully displayed right on my foot controller. I have more switches but limited floor space, and I give myself the luxury of three EXP pedals. They can do so many things. What I am saying is the technology is amazing, the tones are all there no matter what weird 80's trick you're looking for (The Look, for example.) If it's a classic tone you need that's all in there, too; but there's very little in this realm a JCM800 can't pull off in a pinch. It's a lot of words to say I am supposedly almost gig-ready but now the nerves are setting in.

None of this is difficult to play, it's just a huge amount of arrangements with some odd breaks and changes thrown in there times 30+ songs (just enough for show night) and we're likely doing this on three rehearsals after having to release the first two drummers and losing three rehearsals over that alone. We haven't played our first show yet and our second at that venue was just confirmed for July. There's a festival in June. One possible large event and a couple very important venues that won't tolerate us if we sound like a garage band at any time. I think I've got this, as in confidence is high; but the limited prep time is going to have all of us especially on our toes. Failure's not an option.

It's a lot of material, and very little of it is great fun to play. The majority of it is kinda fun and some of it is of course just a drag. I'll spare you the rest of the details, they are fairly predictable but with a few weird twists. Perhaps ironically, the big hair band ballads suck the most to play and the rocking lady anthems are generally kick-rear end and fun as Hell. Who knew?

Can you share the setlist?

Dr. Faustus
Feb 18, 2001

Grimey Drawer
If I do get to have a 1st Gig night I'll be happy to share all the stuff we played. I'd love to share it, but things are still shaky and I don't wanna make waves.

Red_Fred
Oct 21, 2010

Fallen Rib
Related to my post from the other page I have found there are a bewildering array of options when it comes to headphone playing with backing tracks/Spotify! I live in an apartment and have no plans of playing with people any time soon(if ever!) Hopefully someone can offer some advice.

I haven’t really touched guitar for 10 years so I’m reluctant to jump on a Helix LT before I decide if I’ll really commit. But that seems like the best longer term option.

Getting a load box for my Orange AD15 seems good but locks me into that amp which is only single channel. Also load boxes are pretty $$$ for the limited options of sounds I’ll have with that amp. Longer term I’ll probably get one but not sure it’s my best bet right now.

Getting an audio interface for my computer and some software seems like a good stop gap option. Should be cheaper than the two above but heaps of options for sounds/effects. Any downsides? Obviously complexity.

TLDR: help me choose how to play with headphones (and backing tracks/Spotify) after a 10 year break!

ColdPie
Jun 9, 2006

I love the Fender Mustang Micro for exactly that.

Turbinosamente
May 29, 2013

Lights on, Lights off

landgrabber posted:

biggest thing lately is i look at some tabs or chord diagrams and i have no loving idea what the finger positioning should be.

Hi, this has been my entire life so far on bass. I'm finally sort of recognizing scale shapes in tab so that's helping some with where I decide to put my hand/fingies. It's slowly sinking in, especially after my teacher suggested which fingers to use where when I first started in on lessons.

Blotto_Otter
Aug 16, 2013

ColdPie posted:

I love the Fender Mustang Micro for exactly that.

Seconded. It can stream Bluetooth audio, so you can pair it with a computer/iPad/phone and play a song or backing track in your headphones on top of your guitar playing. And it has a USB output that can work as a computer interface, too. I've had one for a couple months now and been very happy with it.

Honj Steak
May 31, 2013

Hi there.
Plan your fingerings from the low notes up. If two notes are on the same fret check if you can bar it, else you want the lower note to be played by the lower number finger (1 = index to 4 = pinky). This approach should cover most situations.

landgrabber
Sep 13, 2015

what's the cheapest good reverb pedal with a reverse setting

Jonny 290
May 5, 2005

[ASK] me about OS/2 Warp
wow the slow gear goes for $500 now lol dang

I can't believe that you couldnt get er done with like an hx stomp for that price

syntaxfunction
Oct 27, 2010

Jonny 290 posted:

wow the slow gear goes for $500 now lol dang

I can't believe that you couldnt get er done with like an hx stomp for that price

Mooer Slow Engine is a straight up clone in a mini enclosure. It's good, just get that.

landgrabber posted:

EHX Oceans 11, Digitech Polara, or older Digitech Hardwire stuff. Probably some Mooer stuff again. The Oceans or Polara are my picks.

Also y'all hear that Cort bought Digitech and DOD? That's pretty cool.

Jonny 290
May 5, 2005

[ASK] me about OS/2 Warp
whoa, right on

my first pedal was a supra distortion (woof) and for a while i owned a valvefx rack unit. that was fun to play with in the early 00s. and it was so chromed out

BizarroAzrael
Apr 6, 2006

"That must weigh heavily on your soul. Let me purge it for you."

nitsuga posted:

I’d say go for it. The more stripped down circuitry and tune-o-magic bridge should make the build and setup a fair bit easier. It’ll probably have some quirks, but think of it like a journey where you learn a bunch and can enjoy what you’ve made. And then on subsequent journeys you learn more and then enjoy what you’ve made even more.

I actually stumbled onto this on the site as well: https://www.thomann.de/gb/harley_benton_te_20hh_sbk_standard_series.htm

First time I've felt strongly drawn to something in the tele archetype, and at £85 it's about in impulse buy range. So I may be ordering guitars five and six here (for under £200 shipped)

Should get around to being actually good at guitar really. But without breaking the bank I should have a collection that covers most of the solid body bases.

Sweaty IT Nerd
Jul 13, 2007

I fixed (I think) the soldering for the bridge pickup I replaced in my firefly LP. That was hosed forever and now I find out the neck is hosed. I guess I'll take a crack at the truss rod.

muike
Mar 16, 2011

ガチムチ セブン

landgrabber posted:

save up for a used dl3. you'll never need anything else

Skrill.exe
Oct 3, 2007

"Bitcoin is a new financial concept entirely without precedent."

Dr. Faustus posted:

If I do get to have a 1st Gig night I'll be happy to share all the stuff we played. I'd love to share it, but things are still shaky and I don't wanna make waves.

I hear ya. Break a leg!

nitsuga
Jan 1, 2007

BizarroAzrael posted:

I actually stumbled onto this on the site as well: https://www.thomann.de/gb/harley_benton_te_20hh_sbk_standard_series.htm

First time I've felt strongly drawn to something in the tele archetype, and at £85 it's about in impulse buy range. So I may be ordering guitars five and six here (for under £200 shipped)

Should get around to being actually good at guitar really. But without breaking the bank I should have a collection that covers most of the solid body bases.

Harley Benton makes some pretty decent instruments, so I wouldn’t bat an eye at that Tele. Fair warning you will also want one with the standard pickup configuration before long.

MeatRocket8
Aug 3, 2011

I have a Pod Go that connects via USB to my m1 macbook running garageband or logic pro x, I also have an iRig HD 2 adapter that connects via USB, and an Audio Technica AT2020 mic for vocals and acoustic that also connects via USB.

It works fine, and sounds fine to me, but it seems everyone doing basic home recording with like me is using a preamp like a focusrite scarlett.

Would using one give me a noticeable improvement in tone? If I got one of the newer models that connects via USB 3.0 I would at least get lower latency right?

Jonny 290
May 5, 2005

[ASK] me about OS/2 Warp
USB 2.0 generally runs at 480 mbps, my interface has 8 in 10 out not counting the 8/8 adat ports, and i can get 0.6 mS latency at 44k/16 on a good windows machine. You've got plenty of ways to get stuff into the computer there, tone is in the plugins and fingers.

There could be arguments for running a fancy guitar-centric interface like my Eleven Rack with its variable impedance input, but eh, after messing with it, i can fake 98% of its functionality with a little treble EQ on the front end.

Red_Fred
Oct 21, 2010

Fallen Rib
Any hard case brands to avoid? Need to get one for my franken-strat.

nitsuga
Jan 1, 2007

Red_Fred posted:

Any hard case brands to avoid? Need to get one for my franken-strat.

A Strat should fit a whole bevy of cases. In general though, budget cases do not do it for me. Spending a little more ($150) seems to net a much more polished product. My advice is to check a couple out if you can, and pick a sturdy one. Used can be a good way to go, but I have really only lucked out a few times with that at Music Go Round and a local shop.

Honestly I usually just get a Gator gig bag though.

Baron von Eevl
Jan 24, 2005

WHITE NOISE
GENERATOR

🔊😴

muike posted:

save up for a used dl3. you'll never need anything else

Seconding this. There's no such thing as a cheap decent reverse reverb, but if you cross into "middling" pricesyou start to get some options and personally reverse delay is the better sound.

I got a DL4 mk2 a few weeks ago, it's got a reverse delay and a bunch of fake-secret reverbs built in, it's a ton of fun.

massive spider
Dec 6, 2006

eehhhh reverse reverb and delay are quite different sounds. If you want MBV shoegaze reverb is the one.

landgrabber posted:

digitech hardwire though now its discontinued prices have been creeping up. Whatever the X series reverb was had reverse as well I think

EHX cathedral or the oceans series.

massive spider fucked around with this message at 12:56 on Apr 29, 2022

User Error
Aug 31, 2006

Blotto_Otter posted:

Seconded. It can stream Bluetooth audio, so you can pair it with a computer/iPad/phone and play a song or backing track in your headphones on top of your guitar playing. And it has a USB output that can work as a computer interface, too. I've had one for a couple months now and been very happy with it.

Thirded. It's so easy to grab my guitar, pull something up on youtube on my phone, and screw around on the couch for 20 minutes here or there. That's about all the time I get for playing these days and if I had to mess with a computer and interface it would never happen. Sounds a heck of a lot better than the prior gen headphone amps too.

roomtone
Jul 1, 2021

by Fluffdaddy
it's hard for me to think of songs i want to learn because most songs i like are pretty simple and aren't really teaching me anything. example 'told you i'd be with the guys' by cherry glazerr, which probably was responsible for rekindling my interest in guitar a few months ago. it's a simple song i figured out without even having to look at a tab.

always had the problem that i'm not that interested in learning the songs of others, especially if i don't already love the song, because i really just want to sit and come up with my own stuff. but of course i am limited by what i know how to do.

i might be better off just focusing on theory things. don't know scales, don't know much at all really. i've been practicing where all the notes are and the major scale this week. i think now i will focus on the minor pentatonic scale.

i have a bunch of wordless ideas in my head of what chords go together and chord shapes i don't know what to call so i'll try to give that some form also.

nitsuga
Jan 1, 2007

Music theory sounds like a great fit. Maybe try writing your own material too. I like learning and jamming with “easy” songs too though.

BizarroAzrael
Apr 6, 2006

"That must weigh heavily on your soul. Let me purge it for you."

nitsuga posted:

Harley Benton makes some pretty decent instruments, so I wouldn’t bat an eye at that Tele. Fair warning you will also want one with the standard pickup configuration before long.

You mean single coils? The kit version has those.

landgrabber
Sep 13, 2015

oh i have a boss DD-5 which has reverse delay.

i need a reverb pedal because of the jazz show-- band director likes some verb on the guitars, and my amp only has spring reverb built in, i want something more like hall or church or something.

but i've been wanting a reverse verb for a while cause i love shoegaze, so i was kind of thinking "well, i need a reverb pedal, time to get one, may as well spring for one with reverse"

darkwasthenight
Jan 7, 2011

GENE TRAITOR

landgrabber posted:

i need a reverb pedal because of the jazz show-- band director likes some verb on the guitars, and my amp only has spring reverb built in, i want something more like hall or church or something.

but i've been wanting a reverse verb for a while cause i love shoegaze, so i was kind of thinking "well, i need a reverb pedal, time to get one, may as well spring for one with reverse"

Marshall Reverberator or the Oceans 11.

nitsuga
Jan 1, 2007

BizarroAzrael posted:

You mean single coils? The kit version has those.

I do. The item you linked was a pre-built HH Tele though. But yeah, if it’s another DIY kit, I won’t stand in your way. Get busy!

Spanish Manlove
Aug 31, 2008

HAILGAYSATAN

landgrabber posted:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=gB85mb-nwho

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

lazerwolf
Dec 22, 2009

Orange and Black

Why stop there. Just get the Empress Reverb!