Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Saukkis
May 16, 2003

Unless I'm on the inside curve pointing straight at oncoming traffic the high beams stay on and I laugh at your puny protest flashes.
I am Most Important Man. Most Important Man in the World.

cr0y posted:

I mean to be fair anytime that I connect with someone on a dating app that is better looking than I am I go full-blown :tinfoil:

Maybe they just have better Photoshop skills than you?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

DrDork
Dec 29, 2003
commanding officer of the Army of Dorkness

cr0y posted:

Is a super convincing dating app scam that is really loving hard to detect a thing right now? Like full on week+ social engineering poo poo. I have something going on right now that I can't put my finger on but I know it's not right.

I don't know that I'd call them "super convincing" for anyone who has even a modicum of skepticism these days, but yeah, dating-app scams are 100% real things. As noted above, a lot of them are long-cons trying to get you to do weird stuff with crypto, or will dive into the more rote pathways of "I just need some cash for <expense> and will totally pay you back" or whatnot. And they keep working because, as it turns out, there's enough people out there who keep giving them cash / crypto and then are surprised when their paramour fucks off with the money.

If they're not willing to meet up within a couple weeks they're never gonna, be they scammers or just lonely people looking for pen-pals.

TheWorldsaStage
Sep 10, 2020

Yeah my local news network has done a few stories the past few months, e-dating scams are on the rise.

Still, don't let self doubt get you down, it could be ok! Just don't give them shiiiiiiiiiit.

vanity slug
Jul 20, 2010

Treat it as an opportunity to reverse social engineer them.

cr0y
Mar 24, 2005

Jeoh posted:

Treat it as an opportunity to reverse social engineer them.

This is basically what I'm doing

Volmarias
Dec 31, 2002

EMAIL... THE INTERNET... SEARCH ENGINES...

Defenestrategy posted:

Well heres healthy advice. If a nerd tries to talk to you about crypto walk away. They may or may not be trying to date you, but certainly theyre scamming you.

Edit: the scams probably arent all that original. cozy up to you build rapport and then grab something off of you or put something on your computer. Top tips for defeating these kinds of attacks are dont give people anything, dont download files from them, and dont spend a month talking to a person on a dating site without going on an actual real date. If theyre playing the megalong game and you ended up with a honeypot, you where done before the game even started.

They may or may not be trying to scam you by talking to crypto, but if they're not they're probably an idiot so either way do not contribute

Somaen
Nov 19, 2007

by vyelkin
I'd like to ask the folks here if you have heard of any volunteering opportunities for people in cybersec. I guess more specifically with the networking flavor, since I imagine app security has a lot of opportunities for open source projects, but maybe there is something for other specializations too? A few years ago my city had a hackaton-exercise for nerds to find holes in the city's cyber infrastructure which was cool, but that was once. Has anyone heard about similar public initiatives?

spankmeister
Jun 15, 2008

There's the DIVD, Dutch Institute for Vulnerability Disclosure, which is an entirely volunteer organization of infosec professionals and enthusiasts who in their spare time scan the entire internet for vulnerabilities and then attempt to disclose them to the rightful owners.

They've garnered a very good reputation, so much so that they're fast becoming the de facto place to report vulnerable systems to in The Netherlands, even though there are official places to do that, simply because they actually do something with the report. (If actionable)

They're based in The Netherlands but they operate globally and their volunteers are from all over the globe also.

https://www.divd.nl/contact/

Somaen
Nov 19, 2007

by vyelkin
That's awesome, thanks for sharing. I'll send them a message

CommieGIR
Aug 22, 2006

The blue glow is a feature, not a bug

Pillbug
Crossposting from YOSPOS:

some kinda jackal
Feb 25, 2003

lol yeah when I got their "WE'RE CHANGING PASSWORDS IN 15 MINUTES" email yesterday on an account I forgot I signed up for but was 100% sure wasn't linked to github, I just assumed it was a total meltdown situation

CLAM DOWN
Feb 13, 2007

CommieGIR posted:

Crossposting from YOSPOS:

Oh man that's bad

BlankSystemDaemon
Mar 13, 2009

CLAM DOWN posted:

Oh man that's bad
It's been a while since I've seen worse, that's for sure.

Maneki Neko
Oct 27, 2000

On the other hand, Heroku/Salesforce seems to be doing a masterful job at "being bad at incident response and communication", so there's that.

BlankSystemDaemon
Mar 13, 2009

Maneki Neko posted:

On the other hand, Heroku/Salesforce seems to be doing a masterful job at "being bad at incident response and communication", so there's that.
Yeah, that really is telling.

I mean, at this point nobody and nothing should be expected to be safe from these kinds of attacks. APTs are advanced enough that they can manage to stay resident for weeks, and if APTs can do it it's only a matter of time before those techniques starts spreading.

The question is how you deal with the fallout from it; do you you do the right thing and inform the customers and help things along, or do you dig in your heels and pretend nothing is wrong?
We all know it's obviously the first that's the only right answer.

DrDork
Dec 29, 2003

BlankSystemDaemon posted:

We all know it's obviously the first that's the only right answer.

But if we move quickly and lock things down hard then maybe no one will really notice and we won't have to fill out the various reports and our stock won't take a hit this quarter and that means I'll still be on track for the performance bonus and... #justciso/ceothings

CommieGIR
Aug 22, 2006

The blue glow is a feature, not a bug

Pillbug

Maneki Neko posted:

Yeah all these companies continue to make the same mistake of clamming up and thinking ripping off the bandage hurts worse the sooner you do it.

Achmed Jones
Oct 16, 2004

it seems to me that heroku/salesforce has been really forthright about it, though. comms went out as soon as the breach happened, and then they found out it was worse than they thought and this new round happened. as far as i can tell they absolutely haven't been playing the "clam up and hope it goes away" game

Cup Runneth Over
Aug 8, 2009

She said life's
Too short to worry
Life's too long to wait
It's too short
Not to love everybody
Life's too long to hate

Yes, let's not mistake being pwned really badly for being really bad at responding to it.

BrianBoitano
Nov 15, 2006

this is fine

Hey, sorry not sure if this is the right thread. How do I validate that a random freemium app I'm downloading isn't malware / spyware? I've heard before you can launch it first in a virtual machine, but honestly at that point I wouldn't know how to evaluate if it's malicious or not before installing it on my main machine.

http://www.dvo.com/recipe-app.php

OTOH I don't think these guys created a feature rich app and also slipped in something nefarious but OTOH it's the internet so :shrug: also they don't know how to SSL their site so I just don't know. I'd really like to test it out for a variety of reasons.

CLAM DOWN
Feb 13, 2007

BrianBoitano posted:

Hey, sorry not sure if this is the right thread. How do I validate that a random freemium app I'm downloading isn't malware / spyware? I've heard before you can launch it first in a virtual machine, but honestly at that point I wouldn't know how to evaluate if it's malicious or not before installing it on my main machine.

http://www.dvo.com/recipe-app.php

OTOH I don't think these guys created a feature rich app and also slipped in something nefarious but OTOH it's the internet so :shrug: also they don't know how to SSL their site so I just don't know. I'd really like to test it out for a variety of reasons.

that looks like someone's high school visual basic project

use this: https://www.paprikaapp.com/

some kinda jackal
Feb 25, 2003

BrianBoitano posted:

IMO with library/dependency supply chain attacks being a thing, even well intentioned developers with poor build hygiene check practices are a plausible cause for concern so it’s definitely warranted.

You can try to run through something like virustotal or any of the other malware reputation sites but I honestly don’t remember if they actually fire up a full through-install detonation environment or if they just pass it through a virus scanner and call it a day. But with the above, just be prepared for the risk that lack of build hygiene would make any updates that are auto-installed might be baddies.

Just part of daily life being an internet citizen at this point :(

rafikki
Mar 8, 2008

I see what you did there. (It's pretty easy, since ducks have a field of vision spanning 340 degrees.)

~SMcD

CLAM DOWN posted:

Paprika owns

BrianBoitano
Nov 15, 2006

this is fine

CLAM DOWN posted:

Yeah that's part of my variety of reasons - comparing with Paprika because I hate to admit there's only one good app out there :negative:

some kinda jackal posted:

IMO with library/dependency supply chain attacks being a thing, even well intentioned developers with poor build hygiene check practices are a plausible cause for concern so it’s definitely warranted.

Yeah that is the kind of thing that nagged in my subconscious but I couldn't put into words how "old kludge app could be malicious through negligence" actually worked, thank you

unknown
Nov 16, 2002
Ain't got no stinking title yet!

BrianBoitano posted:

Yeah that's part of my variety of reasons - comparing with Paprika because I hate to admit there's only one good app out there :negative:

IIRC, it (Paprika) is a goon owned project too.

unknown fucked around with this message at 18:21 on May 12, 2022

some kinda jackal
Feb 25, 2003

Paprkia is really good so I won’t hold that against it :q:

Thanks Ants
May 21, 2004

#essereFerrari

Is this good

https://www.cisa.gov/emergency-directive-22-03

Marshal Prolapse
Jun 23, 2012

by Jeffrey of YOSPOS

Threat actors, including likely advanced persistent threat (APT) actors

So does that mean organize groups/crime or state actors, just without explicitly saying it?
Neat read on response to attacks.

https://www.cisa.gov/sites/default/...ybooks_508C.pdf

Also sucks for the dudes who do scam bidding calls. I guess there gonna have to redo their VMware set ups they use for allowing a scammer access to their computer.

I also apologize for explaining something in information security that everyone posting in this thread knows 5 billion times more than I do. :v:

Marshal Prolapse fucked around with this message at 02:35 on May 19, 2022

DrDork
Dec 29, 2003

Marshal Prolapse posted:

Threat actors, including likely advanced persistent threat (APT) actors

So does that mean organize groups/crime or state actors, just without explicitly saying it?

APTs are explicitly state actors or highly competent organized crime groups, yes. They're just not mentioning which (if any in particular) they've noticed going after this vector so far.

The wording is intended to get people's attention that this will likely (if it hasn't already been) be exploited by guys who are real good and real nasty, rather than just run of the mill script kiddies and whatnot who might be less of a threat once inside your systems.

BaseballPCHiker
Jan 16, 2006

In my recent experience CISA alerts are great for getting the c-suite to take things seriously and to actually devote some time/money/people to fixing things.

So hooray I might actually get a patching policy with teeth out of this one! Might, but probably wont...

D34THROW
Jan 29, 2012

RETAIL RETAIL LISTEN TO ME BITCH ABOUT RETAIL
:rant:
So I found out that one of our secondary window/door vendors uses IIS 8.0 when I decided to go to the URL in the startup log window of their quoting software. It's the IIS 8.0 landing page. Is this enough of a vulnerability that I need to go about finding out who to talk to at their IT department and letting someone know?

Potato Salad
Oct 23, 2014

nobody cares

it should be on their radar for EOL for sure

lol who anm I kidding, there's still iis6 out there

Potato Salad
Oct 23, 2014

nobody cares

Today's nihilism comes from more AD/kerb penetration training

:thunkgun:

This entire industry is a fraud. We're collecting paychecks to pretend this poo poo can be defended.

Any small foothold that didn't itself get caught gives you domain admin, and there's nothing that anyone can do about it. Like, nothing. Get rid of AD, I guess, like anyone whose products are physical in any way can do that in less than a decade. Or pay for the kind of security ops team that is seriously able to find, lock down, and painstakingly engineer capture/analysis on Literally Every Transaction Ever, always, from any site, no matter what, then follow up lol.

Hope none of you are running systems that Absolutely Need™ active directory. So, gently caress you if you make real, tangible things. Toys. Paper towels. Drones. Cars. Insulin.

Lol.

Lmao.

Internet Explorer
Jun 1, 2005

Oh yeah, legacy AD is horribly insecure. It's real bad. :(

Potato Salad
Oct 23, 2014

nobody cares

Maybe some of this industry isn't a loving fraud, it's just that you have to work for the kind of startup that will be dead or acquired one way or another within four years, and the only security that they need is for someone to know what Okta is, then provide assistance getting their $1,300 corporate phone onboarded with the MS Auth app.

Edit: who am I kidding, nobody with less than 5,000 users can afford Okta. It's all lovely loving GSuite and Google auth integrations implemented by someone who departed shortly before Google broke it again, because that's what Brad and Hunter used in college before founding Lickrr Inc.

Potato Salad fucked around with this message at 18:42 on May 19, 2022

FungiCap
Jul 23, 2007

Let's all just calm down and put on our thinking caps.
"We can't patch because it's too haaaaaard" - Every sysadmin before they see your flag on their domain controller.

Folks, if you want to impact change in your environment, red teaming is where it is at (assuming you can get leadership buy-in).

FungiCap fucked around with this message at 21:46 on May 19, 2022

Subjunctive
Sep 12, 2006

✨sparkle and shine✨

Potato Salad posted:

Edit: who am I kidding, nobody with less than 5,000 users can afford Okta. It's all lovely loving GSuite and Google auth integrations implemented by someone who departed shortly before Google broke it again, because that's what Brad and Hunter used in college before founding Lickrr Inc.

At a previous company I moved money between budgets so that our IT head could implement the SSO solution that I was least likely to ever hear about in a status meeting, which was Okta. A little pricy for a 90-person company, but they were true to their word and I never had a reason to talk about it again after “Okta rollout complete”.

Ynglaur
Oct 9, 2013

The Malta Conference, anyone?
Is there a brief version of why Okta is superior to Active Directory? Is this thread's criticism of the latter focused on the on-premise version or AAD as well? I'm just being curious, not trying to be a lovely bait-troll or anything if this is anything contentious.

Thanks Ants
May 21, 2004

#essereFerrari

Active Directory is a lumbering mess, Azure AD is great. I'm not sure I'd use Okta even if I had the money for the licensing.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Sickening
Jul 16, 2007

Black summer was the best summer.

Ynglaur posted:

Is there a brief version of why Okta is superior to Active Directory? Is this thread's criticism of the latter focused on the on-premise version or AAD as well? I'm just being curious, not trying to be a lovely bait-troll or anything if this is anything contentious.

They aren’t apples to apples technologies.