Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

wesleywillis
Dec 30, 2016

SUCK A MALE CAMEL'S DICK WITH MIRACLE WHIP!!
I have prescription safety glasses that I just got from a regular glasses place. Shatter proof lenses, or whatever the gently caress they are, and side Shields. Might not be useful for your cases, but they don't fog up any more than my normal glasses.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

eddiewalker
Apr 28, 2004

Arrrr ye landlubber
That Eley hose stuff came very quickly and I have zero buyers remorse.

The hose cart feels very solid and easy to pull off. The hose brake is a nice touch. I do have to guide the reel in, but nbd.

The spray nozzle feels as substantial as a handgun and the quick-connect fittings are twice the size of the ones I’ve been buying locally. Plugging them in is the closest I’ve ever felt to a fireman.

I’ll probably end up buying their hose when my Flexzilla wears out, just based on how the 6ft leader hose feels.

eddiewalker fucked around with this message at 00:25 on Apr 29, 2022

Motronic
Nov 6, 2009

eddiewalker posted:

That Eley hose stuff came very quickly and I have zero buyers remorse.

The hose cart feels very solid and easy to pull off. The hose brake is a nice touch. I do have to guide the reel in, but nbd.

The spray nozzle feels as substantial as a handgun and the quick-connect fittings are twice the size of the ones I’ve been buying locally. Plugging them in is the closest I’ve ever felt to a fireman.

I’ll probably end up buying their hose when my Flexzilla wears out, just based on how the 6ft leader hose feels.

Dammit. This is something I need to do as well. I guess this is a thread thing now.........

Which one did you get?

eddiewalker
Apr 28, 2004

Arrrr ye landlubber
I bought the 2-wheeler with the extra-capacity kit, but 100’ of Flexzilla only half fills the spool.

Motronic
Nov 6, 2009

eddiewalker posted:

I bought the 2-wheeler with the extra-capacity kit, but 100’ of Flexzilla only half fills the spool.

Yeah, that's exactly what I was looking at. I need to think about how I want to do this/where I want to put it. I need it for the hose bib out front which is in a lovely place so I might put a splitter on the bib itself and put the reel elsewhere with a shorter section for watering the beds near that bib. Decisions, decisions.

E: does the flexzilla actually work in the cold? Like could I coil it up in my copper post fancy hose thing out back? Because my real deal commercial rubber hose is nearing the end of it's life and is now too dried out to do that. Just something else that needs replacing......

Motronic fucked around with this message at 02:02 on Apr 29, 2022

Uthor
Jul 9, 2006

Gummy Bear Heaven ... It's where I go when the world is too mean.
When I rented a house and needed a hose, it sat on the ground in a tangled pile. :effort:

PitViper
May 25, 2003

Welcome and thank you for shopping at Wal-Mart!
I love you!
I'm gonna stash away some of the "fun" money in our budget for one of those reels in a wall mount. I'm tired of hoses just laying on the ground when I'm not actually using them. Plus my wife wants to do a bunch of landscaping, which means the ground where they usually get coiled up will now be mulch beds with plants

eddiewalker
Apr 28, 2004

Arrrr ye landlubber
I’ve only had the flexzilla for a few months. It’s real rubbery and twists itself out of kinks pretty well. It gets dirty looking immediately. Idk. Seems ok and feels like it will handle winter fine, but I’m open to finding something better.

I bought the extra capacity on the reel cart because I need 200’ to get from the nearest spigot to the trees I just planted, but I’m not in a rush to buy more of the neon yellow stuff.

Motronic
Nov 6, 2009

eddiewalker posted:

I bought the extra capacity on the reel cart because I need 200’ to get from the nearest spigot to the trees I just planted, but I’m not in a rush to buy more of the neon yellow stuff.

I was looking at the extra cap because SOMETIMES I need it, but maybe it makes more sense to just store that "sometimes" hose in the barn where it's not out in the weather all the time.

I guess this comes down to needing to find some more decent hose, and the stuff that I'm complaining about lasted like 10 years before it got to the point where I'm looking at replacing it so maybe that's good enough. It's just basic rubber (not vinyl) commercial hose.

the spyder
Feb 18, 2011
I went on a hose kick three years ago. The Craftsman rubber hoses I bought ~10 years before all started to develop pinholes. With the state Sears was in, I did not feel like fighting for a warranty claim. So I searched Garage Journal and found the general recommendations were either 1) Flexzilla or 2) Commercial Costco/HomeDepot hoses. The "oh shiny new thing" craze got the best of me and I bought half a dozen Flexzilla 3/4 and 5/8 hoses to cover our main outdoor spigots. The 3/4 has been in regular service, through all weather, including freezing solid several times. Outside of it getting dirty and looking ugly, I have no real complaints. Since the first batch, I've bought an addition 6 to cover our garden and new spigots I installed last year.

Now, with all that said - the two "Commercial" hoses we bought 15+ years ago are still in use. They don't roll up as well compared to the flexzilla and I've had to replace damaged ends - but they were cheaper and have held up just fine. Either way, I think you would be fine, which is exactly what Garage Journal told me while researching options 3 years ago.

Motronic
Nov 6, 2009

Nice....so this sounds like flexzilla for the "hose pot" out back on the patio so I can coil it up easily and whatever commercial rubber hose for the super overpriced reel I'm about to buy for the front.

Thanks.

E: just realized that the lead in hose I bought for that hose pot 3 years ago is indeed flexzilla and is still working great.

Motronic fucked around with this message at 03:17 on Apr 29, 2022

ryanrs
Jul 12, 2011

One year ago, I bought literally the cheapest hose at home depot to wash my van, because I live in an apartment complex and I figured it'd be stolen. One year later, I'm annoyed it hasn't.

SpeedFreek
Jan 10, 2008
And Im Lobster Jesus!

two_beer_bishes posted:

I've had this company recommended to me before but I still haven't bought any yet.

I bought a pair from them that were very uncomfortable, they broke within three weeks. I went to the local place where I could try them on and had an overall better experience.

I'm due for two new pairs but have to get plastic frames because of arc flash so my options are limited.

MrYenko
Jun 18, 2012

#2 isn't ALWAYS bad...

So I guess I’m the weird one that just has these mounted above every hose bib? Every reel I’ve ever touched has been complete trash, and leaving hose on the ground is how you get modern art from the lawn man.

Motronic
Nov 6, 2009

MrYenko posted:

So I guess I’m the weird one that just has these mounted above every hose bib? Every reel I’ve ever touched has been complete trash, and leaving hose on the ground is how you get modern art from the lawn man.

Those are absolutely fine for 25 feet of hose or so that you use occasionally while the temperature is above 50. For me they quickly turn into leaving the hose laying where it was because it takes too long to dress it and put it away or totally unmanageable in colder weather.

Uthor
Jul 9, 2006

My mom just had me order her some "expandable" hose that only lasts a couple of years and I had to think about this thread.

(it's easier for her to use)

Cat Hatter
Oct 24, 2006

Hatters gonna hat.

Uthor posted:

My mom just had me order her some "expandable" hose that only lasts a couple of years and I had to think about this thread.

(it's easier for her to use)

Funny, I'm about to go buy one for myself. I have a "good" hose in the back yard, but I was given an expandable hose a few years ago and its good enough to attach to the hose bib in the garage and doesn't take up a bunch of space.

The old one ventured too close to a rose bush shortly after I got it and yesterday the slow leak finally turned into a fountain.

MrYenko
Jun 18, 2012

#2 isn't ALWAYS bad...

Motronic posted:

Those are absolutely fine for 25 feet of hose or so that you use occasionally while the temperature is above 50. For me they quickly turn into leaving the hose laying where it was because it takes too long to dress it and put it away or totally unmanageable in colder weather.

I wish we had colder weather… :(

I find the trick is to mount them WAAAAY higher than where people generally mount them, like seriously four and a half or five feet from the ground. Having fewer loops helps cut down on how long it takes to hang, and the weight helps keep the hose from remembering it’s coiled shape.

Uthor
Jul 9, 2006

If anyone needs a car jack from the 80's, there's two in the garbage pile in front of my parents' house!

(remember my dad doing work under cars supported by just these)

powderific
May 13, 2004

Grimey Drawer
My old work did a bunch of marketing stuff with the Eley brothers 8 or so years ago. Always seemed like they put a lot of thought into the design and cared about putting out a quality product. Never actually bit the bullet and bought any of their stuff for myself, but the quick connects and hose nozzle made nice person who has everything gifts for yard havers.

slidebite
Nov 6, 2005

Good egg
:colbert:

Ah yes, jackalls. They are handy to have I recommend you keep one. Obviously better stuff to use on a vehicle but good for other household poo poo, like pulling out concrete piles, fence posts, etc.

PBCrunch
Jun 17, 2002

Lawrence Phillips Always #1 to Me
Those Elley reels look awesome but are very expensive. Could one buy a cheaper unit and combine it with a junkyard car wheel bearing and a car wheel?

Wasabi the J
Jan 23, 2008

MOM WAS RIGHT

Motronic posted:

Nice....so this sounds like flexzilla for the "hose pot" out back on the patio so I can coil it up easily and whatever commercial rubber hose for the super overpriced reel I'm about to buy for the front.

Thanks.

E: just realized that the lead in hose I bought for that hose pot 3 years ago is indeed flexzilla and is still working great.

NGL based on your day job, I would have thought you to be the expert on hoses.

Motronic
Nov 6, 2009

Wasabi the J posted:

NGL based on your day job, I would have thought you to be the expert on hoses.

No longer my day job, and that's a whole other kind of hose that's completely unsuited to landscape/gardening/ag.

You need 1500 GPM run a few blocks RIGHT NOW? I've got it handled. Garden stuff? Most of it is junk. And running 1" fire department grade booster hose would be multiple dollars per foot and also pretty miserable to deal with unless it's on a powered hose reel on a truck.

Motronic fucked around with this message at 20:02 on May 1, 2022

22 Eargesplitten
Oct 10, 2010

Okay but if your new guy doesn't reel up the hose does it get tangled the instant it's no longer being observed?

Aquila
Jan 24, 2003

PBCrunch posted:

Does anyone have a good recommendation for prescription safety glasses? I had some Zenni ones made a long time ago but I didn't like them. They were like regular safety glasses with something like a prescription lens insert. They fogged up all the time and I just generally didn't like them. I want something where the safety lens and the corrective lens are one and the same. I do some abrasive blasting without a cabinet, so keeping stuff from coming at my eyes from the sides would be awesome.

I have these https://www.zennioptical.com/p/z87-safety-eyeglass-frames/7499?skuId=749923 and like them significantly more than previous Zenni safety glasses I've had.

Motronic
Nov 6, 2009

22 Eargesplitten posted:

Okay but if your new guy doesn't reel up the hose does it get tangled the instant it's no longer being observed?

Yes. Or run over. Or moldy.

Fire hose is a whole thing as far as placement and maintenance. It's specialty gear with all the ancillary things that go along with specialty gear.

The most "normal" stuff we use is that 1" booster hose which is more like commercial/ag hose than the rest of the stuff we carry. But it's even heavier so it can be fire resistant and pass 250 PSI annual pressure tests more than once.

opengl
Sep 16, 2010

What do y'all like for socket organization in tool chest drawers? Finally got a "real" chest so I'll need something better than one drawer dedicated to dozens of loose sockets of each drive size that was my "system" in my little craftsman tool box.

Also I guess I could use some recommendations for keeping other loose tools organized in larger drawers, I guess some bins or something? Just trying to keep this from turning into a giant expensive multi-tiered junk drawer. I've got a bunch of random screwdrivers, pliers, etc to toss in here.

It's just the little Husky guy but a drat improvement over squatting over the floor with my old little tool box.

slidebite
Nov 6, 2005

Good egg
:colbert:

Look at amazon for "drawer" dividers or even "tool dividers" - you'll see all sorts of options.

wesleywillis
Dec 30, 2016

SUCK A MALE CAMEL'S DICK WITH MIRACLE WHIP!!
Tekton has some neat looking tool organizer stuffs. You might check out their website and see. You have to order online, but if you create an account you can collect points for free poo poo. I don't need anything at the moment but I've got 10 bucks and n free poo poo points right now.

Motronic
Nov 6, 2009

opengl128 posted:

What do y'all like for socket organization in tool chest drawers?

Love my Hanson trays, but willing to hear there is a better way now. I've had them forever.

wallaka
Jun 8, 2010

Least it wasn't a fucking red shell

Motronic posted:

Love my Hanson trays, but willing to hear there is a better way now. I've had them forever.

I've had the HF version of those for years and have yet to break one. I do move them around sometimes, put in my rollaround, stuff like that.

PitViper
May 25, 2003

I love you!
Thirding Hanson trays. I need to find a better system for my torx/internal hex sockets, and I wish they were a little more compact, but they're the best system I've found so far.

I could probably make my organization better by moving the SAE stuff to its own drawer, but :effort:

Uthor
Jul 9, 2006

Motronic posted:

I have something similar (don't remember who, probably HF or Sears) and it works for me. The downside is that it's not something where you can grab a whole set of sockets and go, I've heard people sorting on rails and the like for that. But for me, I generally only need a few and either know the size or will grab a couple around what is close, never have more than a half dozen with me.

OBAMNA PHONE
Aug 7, 2002
I went with kaizen foam but I’m not sure it’s really worth the effort…lot of work to get it all sorted out. I think I posted pics of you search for my posts in this thread

Elem7
Apr 12, 2003
der
Dinosaur Gum

PBCrunch posted:

Those Elley reels look awesome but are very expensive. Could one buy a cheaper unit and combine it with a junkyard car wheel bearing and a car wheel?

For what its worth I couldn't see myself spending that kind of money on a hose reel either, specially when I needed 2 of them, so I bought this cheaper metal real off Amazon.

https://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B076QQRVT9

I in no way think its as nice or will last as long as the Eley but when I bought them in 2019 they were $80 to the $200+ Eley. Looks like they've gone up in price on Amazon whereas the Eley haven't but theres still a big price gap.

Frank Dillinger
May 16, 2007
Jawohl mein herr!

Motronic posted:

ToolGrid is the next step up from the Hanson trays if you want to be able to go full custom. I have a lot of double sockets and weird sizes that don’t fit into regular socket trays, the grid lets you put whatever you want where you want.

PitViper
May 25, 2003

I love you!
That looks amazing. And looking up the price, it's actually way less expensive than I figured it would be.

um excuse me
Jan 1, 2016

by Fluffdaddy
Wood thread inserts. I need a 1/4-20 that doesnt have headspace for an allen key or insert tool. Like how a helicoil is driven in from the bottom of the insert. I say this because the item I am screwing into it does not have a very deep thread and I worry I'll get maybe a rotation of engagement. Anything that fits the bill?

Like this but 1/4-20 and maybe 3/8 of an inch deep.

um excuse me fucked around with this message at 19:41 on May 2, 2022

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

PBCrunch
Jun 17, 2002

Lawrence Phillips Always #1 to Me
If you have access to the back of the hole can you use something like this:

https://www.homedepot.com/p/Everbilt-1-4-in-20-Zinc-Plated-Tee-Nut-4-Pack-802301/204274194