Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

3D Megadoodoo
Nov 25, 2010

The track was wet.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

By popular demand
Jul 17, 2007

IT *BZZT* WASP ME--
IT WASP ME ALL *BZZT* ALONG!

Completely missed it.
:kstare:

Jows
May 8, 2002

In the power house at the refinery I used to work at there are some very old valves that have swastikas on them. A popular valve manufacturer in the 1920s or so used it as thier symbol.

Platystemon
Feb 13, 2012

BREADS

Zil
Jun 4, 2011

Satanically Summoned Citrus

What is it with medicine companies and picking unfortunate names?

Tunicate
May 15, 2012

Corona beer remains invincible

canyoneer
Sep 13, 2005

I only have canyoneyes for you
planning a living room addition I guess

Hispanic! At The Disco
Dec 25, 2011

While I don't really begrudge Swastika, Ontario playing the "We had it first" card, 1922 honestly isn't a lot of time before Hitler hosed up the swastika for everyone.

EDIT: I am aware that is pretty low on the list of Hitler's offenses.

Hispanic! At The Disco fucked around with this message at 05:41 on Apr 29, 2022

Platystemon
Feb 13, 2012

BREADS
Is it above or below ruining the toothbrush moustache?

therobit
Aug 19, 2008

I've been tryin' to speak with you for a long time

Platystemon posted:

Is it above or below ruining the toothbrush moustache?

Above the lip, below the nose.

My Lovely Horse
Aug 21, 2010

While we're at it, not sure how much of a household name Spirou is in the US, but its recurring villain, megalomaniacal but ultimately pathetic wannabe dictator Zorglub and his army of brainwashed drones have now aged interestingly from their inception in the 60s.

Humbug Scoolbus
Apr 25, 2008

The scarlet letter was her passport into regions where other women dared not tread. Shame, Despair, Solitude! These had been her teachers, stern and wild ones, and they had made her strong, but taught her much amiss.
Clapping Larry

My Lovely Horse posted:

While we're at it, not sure how much of a household name Spirou is in the US, but its recurring villain, megalomaniacal but ultimately pathetic wannabe dictator Zorglub and his army of brainwashed drones have now aged interestingly from their inception in the 60s.

Z is for Zorglub!

SubponticatePoster
Aug 9, 2004

Every day takes figurin' out all over again how to fuckin' live.
Slippery Tilde

Zil posted:

tbf, the product came out before HIV/AIDS was in the public consciousness. Once it was though, this stuff went off the shelves pretty quickly.

tater_salad
Sep 15, 2007

Zil posted:

is this what jared used?

canyoneer
Sep 13, 2005

I only have canyoneyes for you

tater_salad posted:

is this what jared used?

clearly didn't suppress all his appetites

Darchangel
Feb 12, 2009

Tell him about the blower!

canyoneer posted:

:drat:

Zil
Jun 4, 2011

canyoneer posted:

:piss:

tater_salad
Sep 15, 2007

canyoneer posted:

:holymoley:

titties
May 10, 2012

They're like two suicide notes stuffed into a glitter bra

canyoneer posted:

god drat

Danhenge
Dec 16, 2005
I'm demoing my rotted out deck and posting about it in my thread for my house. The whole thing probably qualifies as "crappy construction" but I just discovered a detail too good not to share more broadly:

Tunicate
May 15, 2012

ah yes, the unsafety railing

Danhenge
Dec 16, 2005

Tunicate posted:

ah yes, the unsafety railing

Don't worry. None of the posts that the rails are attached to are connect to the ground, they are merely poorly attached to the side of the deck, which is itself built on top of the remains of a previous deck (I think) so the whole thing wobbles alarmingly even without that element.

Zil
Jun 4, 2011

Danhenge posted:

Don't worry. None of the posts that the rails are attached to are connect to the ground, they are merely poorly attached to the side of the deck, which is itself built on top of the remains of a previous deck (I think) so the whole thing wobbles alarmingly even without that element.

Are we going to take bets on if there is a yet to be discovered third deck underneath all that?

Danhenge
Dec 16, 2005

Zil posted:

Are we going to take bets on if there is a yet to be discovered third deck underneath all that?

It's certainly possible:

Jeherrin
Jun 7, 2012

Danhenge posted:

It's certainly possible:

Those joists look a bit uniform, have you considered notching them? Maybe to make space for a bath hottub?

Danhenge
Dec 16, 2005

Jeherrin posted:

Those joists look a bit uniform, have you considered notching them? Maybe to make space for a bath hottub?

There's already a hot tub that may or may not work in our separate, enclosed deck. Structurally speaking it is a little more reassuring, but has five pairs of sliding doors, three of which open into a two foot drop-off.

CRUSTY MINGE
Mar 30, 2011

Peggy Hill
Foot Connoisseur

Danhenge posted:

It's certainly possible:

That looks like a pallet under there. Albeit, a sturdy one, but it looks like a pallet.

Maybe a concrete stoop underneath that?

It's porches all the way down.

Vim Fuego
Jun 1, 2000

Ultra Carp

Danhenge posted:

five pairs of sliding doors, three of which open into a two foot drop-off.

ahhh, that's the stuff

Rascar Capac
Aug 31, 2016

Surprisingly nice, for an evil Inca mummy.
https://twitter.com/PlanningShit/status/1520088931362029569?t=ULwftB5WguidfMgOY8o2PQ&s=19

Zil
Jun 4, 2011

Danhenge posted:

It's certainly possible:

Its...its so beautiful. Should have sent a poet.

Danhenge
Dec 16, 2005

CRUSTY MINGE posted:

That looks like a pallet under there. Albeit, a sturdy one, but it looks like a pallet.

Maybe a concrete stoop underneath that?

It's porches all the way down.

Yeah i thought so too, we'll see as we get closer

By popular demand
Jul 17, 2007

IT *BZZT* WASP ME--

Danhenge posted:

I'm demoing my rotted out deck and posting about it in my thread for my house. The whole thing probably qualifies as "crappy construction" but I just discovered a detail too good not to share more broadly:

I want to kick it loose.

the yeti
Mar 29, 2008

memento disco

That’s fugly but (assuming the window is a repair) I bet doing it in style cost a fuckin fortune

CRUSTY MINGE
Mar 30, 2011

Peggy Hill
Foot Connoisseur
Stained glass also is not insulating glass. That window just saved the church 0.13% in their heating bill.

tetrapyloctomy
Feb 18, 2003

Okay -- you talk WAY too fast.
Nap Ghost

the yeti posted:

That’s fugly but (assuming the window is a repair) I bet doing it in style cost a fuckin fortune

Sure, but with a little thought they could have done much better. Like a casement with a thin dark, frame, and then a vinyl overlay on the glass to approximate the pattern of its partner.

By popular demand
Jul 17, 2007

IT *BZZT* WASP ME--

Efb Would replacing it with like a vinyl panel work, that might look better.

wesleywillis
Dec 30, 2016

SUCK A MALE CAMEL'S DICK WITH MIRACLE WHIP!!

By popular demand posted:

Efb Would replacing it with like a vinyl panel work, that might look better.

Yeah that'd be sweet! Give it some "tribal" graphics like a riced out 1997 civic!

Dareon
Apr 6, 2009

by vyelkin

canyoneer posted:

planning a living room addition I guess

I want you to know I appreciated this.

CRUSTY MINGE
Mar 30, 2011

Peggy Hill
Foot Connoisseur

wesleywillis posted:

Yeah that'd be sweet! Give it some "tribal" graphics like a riced out 1997 civic!

If I give in to my lust for cheap midwestern housing and buy a wreck of a church, I'll tribal tat the replacement windows when I sell the stained glass on ebay to an overzealous catholic.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

3D Megadoodoo
Nov 25, 2010

My Lovely Horse posted:

Spoiler for the ending of the first story with Zorglub: his end goal is to use rockets to transform the moon into a Coca-Cola advertisement