Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Jamwad Hilder
Apr 18, 2007

surfin usa
the Sabres need to fire whoever is in charge of telling them to challenge offsides

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

DO YALL WANT A BOXC
Jul 20, 2010

HAHA! WOOOOOOO WOOO!
Fun Shoe

rex rabidorum vires posted:

AV is a control systems coach not a run and gun coach so that's kinda diagonal side grade

on one hand, i really don't think that matters too much. they have a bunch of vet players in an existing room. it's not a young team where they don't have much of a structure. AV is a guy who can come into a veteran team and give you 1-2 more cracks at a Cup run. systems should take a lower precedence than a guy who can come in and make sure the team is focused and able to make another couple of deep runs. deboer is too emotional for that IMO. AV has a very opposite demeanor. his weaknesses are mainly with integrating kids and losing the room after a couple of years. but as people said, they'll be in much worse position in a couple of years, and again, it's a vet team. so I think he'd be a good pick for em.

on the other hand, if you do wanna talk systems, I think it'd be a bad idea with their roster to try and play a run and gun game. they have too many big/old/injury prone guys. AV runs an insanely good trap-and-counter, and that would lessen the injury/fatigue rate of their veterans and take advantage of all the finishing talent and defensive IQ (assuming Eichel rebounds at some point lol).

e: they should also consider Julien. i don't think Torts would be a good fit. I don't think Brind'Amour is a good fit if Carolina doesn't re-sign him. Babcock would be good for them and fit in with their culture

DO YALL WANT A BOXC fucked around with this message at 07:38 on Apr 29, 2022

Zat
Jan 16, 2008

A little different "this guy scored" moment. Everyone thought the puck left the rink except the one guy.

e: oh, there's a playoff N/V thread now

tarbrush
Feb 7, 2011

ALL ABOARD THE SCOTLAND HYPE TRAIN!

CHOO CHOO

DO YALL WANT A BOXC posted:

Babcock would be good for them and fit in with their culture

Brutal

fisting by many
Dec 25, 2009

Zat posted:

A little different "this guy scored" moment. Everyone thought the puck left the rink except the one guy.

e: oh, there's a playoff N/V thread now

Looks like the ref kept his eyes on it too.

Can't be bothered to check who it is and possibly make a joke about it though.

ThinkTank
Oct 23, 2007

At two years for $850k per, Luke Schenn is probably the best defenceman that Jim Benning ever acquired.

fisting by many
Dec 25, 2009

ThinkTank posted:

At two years for $850k per, Luke Schenn is probably the best defenceman that Jim Benning ever acquired.

Weirdly, way better than that other Luke Schenn that Benning acquired.

Good Soldier Svejk
Jul 5, 2010

ThinkTank posted:

You could probably argue for Troy Stecher since he was a college signing

Eric the Mauve
May 8, 2012

Making you happy for a buck since 199X
Brind'Amour hung around Carolina for a decade waiting for his chance to coach, I can't imagine he's going anywhere. But a team like VHK (or Toronto) should give him a blank check if they get the chance.

IIRC Brind'Amour's the only active coach in sports with a statue of himself outside his team's home arena (from when he lifted the Cup as a player/captain)

Eric the Mauve fucked around with this message at 14:24 on Apr 29, 2022

DJExile
Jun 28, 2007

Click me to read the Coyotes' front office putting forth a valiant but doomed effort into spinning their lovely situation as a positive

quote:

After the NHL approved the team's plan to play out of ASU, Gutierrez held court with Coyotes' players -- and NHLPA special assistant Mathieu Schneider -- to try easing their minds about the period ahead. And Gutierrez is adamant that bringing on Bill Armstrong as general manager in 2020 and adding Andre Tourigny as head coach in 2021 has given Arizona the right foundation for a "culture of competition, commitment and passion."

Still, he gets asked repeatedly how the Coyotes intend to woo free agents into the fold. Gutierrez says the answer is simple.

"They love Arizona," Gutierrez said of the Coyotes' skaters. "It's been on us as the leadership and the ownership to build a pathway that includes a permanent facility, that includes a solution, in a location that is thriving and that is growing that would attract them and that would make them feel that there is a pathway towards winning. And that's what we're building. We're in Tempe, we're aligned to partner with ASU, we're in an environment that'll be exciting, and that'll be a one of a kind. I do think that's attractive."

"We're going to be in the league basement for 5 more years at the very least! Free agents can't wait to sign here!"

Good soup!
Nov 2, 2010

It's amazing that absolutely anyone is pretending the situation in Arizona is anything other than some hosed up joke

They can talk all they want about how "electric" a small venue will be for an NHL game, I have zero desire to go to loving Arizona and watch the Flyers play against another poo poo club in a college arena

Ginette Reno
Nov 18, 2006

How Doers get more done
Fun Shoe
If Arizona lands Bedard and gets a real arena they'll maybe stop being a joke at some point but short of that they're gonna be lousy for a long time

DJExile
Jun 28, 2007

I get that that new owner and CEO have literally 1 card to play and it's to try to spin this thing like it's headed in the right direction, but holy hell you can just feel the buyers' remorse as you read those quotes.

Precambrian Video Games
Aug 19, 2002

Eric the Mauve posted:

IIRC Brind'Amour's the only active coach in sports with a statue of himself outside his team's home arena (from when he lifted the Cup as a player/captain)

When Mark Messier inevitably becomes the Canucks' coach, he'll have that and an award named after him. What a leader.

the talent deficit
Dec 20, 2003

self-deprecation is a very british trait, and problems can arise when the british attempt to do so with a foreign culture

arizona's hockey management seems pretty sound. they're just gonna keep cycling assets for younger assets and sell cap space for picks until they feel they have a competitive core and then go for it

it's probably also true that hockey players love arizona. being able to golf every off day is hugely important for so many hockey players. arizona (or maybe vegas) is the best nhl city for golfing everyday

their arena situation is a joke but the situation was caused by the last management group. i dunno they really had a lot of room to unfuck things in the short term

fisting by many
Dec 25, 2009

Good soup! posted:

It's amazing that absolutely anyone is pretending the situation in Arizona is anything other than some hosed up joke

They can talk all they want about how "electric" a small venue will be for an NHL game, I have zero desire to go to loving Arizona and watch the Flyers play against another poo poo club in a college arena

It would have been cool before they asked $300 a ticket.

There is a genuine interest for free agents to play on a shallower team where they're more likely to get prime minutes/PP time (and maybe boost their value for their next contract), but obviously that's only going to apply to the B-tier of FAs at best.

Wonderllama
Mar 15, 2003

anyone wanna andreyfuck?

the talent deficit posted:

it's probably also true that hockey players love arizona. being able to golf every off day is hugely important for so many hockey players. arizona (or maybe vegas) is the best nhl city for golfing everyday

I dunno, I’d still rather be in tampa, sunrise, LA, or Anaheim if golfing were to sway my opinion on a career destination.

DJExile
Jun 28, 2007

https://twitter.com/IIHFHockey/status/1520044507953258497

oh poo poo these are cool

Jamwad Hilder
Apr 18, 2007

surfin usa
Arizona might be a joke franchise but if I had a choice between playing in the NHL for the worst franchise, or playing in Europe or the AHL or whatever, I'm taking NHL every time. It's still the best league in the world, you'll get paid a NHL salary, enjoy a nice lifestyle, etc., and maybe when you're doing toiling away in Arizona you get to go to a Good Team or whatever.

Good soup!
Nov 2, 2010

Wonderllama posted:

I dunno, I’d still rather be in tampa, sunrise, LA, or Anaheim if golfing were to sway my opinion on a career destination.

There was also the story in the Athletic that polled players agents and Arizona was far and away the top place they tell players to avoid

You can't put a price on getting NHL-level minutes and experience, that's true, but you also want to be somewhere that isnt a complete shitshow

Jamwad Hilder
Apr 18, 2007

surfin usa
The thing that's interesting to me about Arizona is that they're not completely inept. Like if you look at their draft history they are very good at finding quality NHL players. Maybe no real super stars (and thats the problem, I guess) but they have drafted lots of players who are average to good NHLers.

DJExile
Jun 28, 2007

Yeah Arizona was always fine at drafting, they were just a mess at... well, basically everything else.

FunOne
Aug 20, 2000
I am a slimey vat of concentrated stupidity

Fun Shoe
I'm totally going to see a game in the tiny arena in Tempe just to say I did. But I also went to ASU so I've got other reasons to be out in PHX.

I was never willing to drive to Glendale to watch the yotes when I lived there.

Just throwing this out there but isn't there still an arena downtown where the Sun's play that the Yotes once played in too? With light rail service? How is that not an option?

ThinkTank
Oct 23, 2007

Good soup! posted:

There was also the story in the Athletic that polled players agents and Arizona was far and away the top place they tell players to avoid

You can't put a price on getting NHL-level minutes and experience, that's true, but you also want to be somewhere that isnt a complete shitshow

I dunno $5m a year to play in the sunshine from September to April every year with literally no expectations sounds pretty nice. If you've already won a cup or two and just want to cash in it would be great.

What I'm saying is that now Putin is out of money Geno will be very happy there.

Ginette Reno
Nov 18, 2006

How Doers get more done
Fun Shoe
I think you guys are giving Arizona's drafting too much credit. Not producing any stars is a major problem. Have they even drafted a player as good as Jake Guentzel ever? I don't think they have.

Producing a bunch of decent guys with a lot of high draft picks is not exactly impressive work.

e: I just went through their history again and I guess the closest thing would be Blake Wheeler but he didn't become elite until he left them

ThinkTank
Oct 23, 2007

Barret Hayton is starting to look like one of the worst draft decisions ever. Thank you so much for Quinn Hughes Chayka lol.

Jamwad Hilder
Apr 18, 2007

surfin usa

Ginette Reno posted:

I think you guys are giving Arizona's drafting too much credit. Not producing any stars is a major problem. Have they even drafted a player as good as Jake Guentzel ever? I don't think they have.

Producing a bunch of decent guys with a lot of high draft picks is not exactly impressive work.

e: I just went through their history again and I guess the closest thing would be Blake Wheeler but he didn't become elite until he left them

I think Keller would be as good as Guentzel if he wasn't on the Coyotes. But thats the problem I was getting at. Their players all end up better when they leave.

Precambrian Video Games
Aug 19, 2002

... I don't think you can blame Blake Wheeler's slow development on Arizona.

Simplex
Jun 29, 2003

Two years ago the Coyotes made the playoffs in the bubble. Last year they were in the hunt until the last couple of weeks of the season. This year they decided to fire the coach, blow it all up, commit to being terrible and call it progress. That organization is a poo poo-show.

Jamwad Hilder
Apr 18, 2007

surfin usa
I mean if your team tops out at "maybe makes the playoffs" its arguably better to blow it up and try to build around your youngest core players rather than continue to struggle every year to maybe make the playoffs (the Vancouver model). Is that what the Coyotes did though? I dunno. Probably not on purpose.

triple sulk
Sep 17, 2014

Holy poo poo, that WCF run the Coyotes had was 10 years ago

DO YALL WANT A BOXC
Jul 20, 2010

HAHA! WOOOOOOO WOOO!
Fun Shoe

Eric the Mauve posted:

Brind'Amour hung around Carolina for a decade waiting for his chance to coach, I can't imagine he's going anywhere. But a team like VHK (or Toronto) should give him a blank check if they get the chance.

maybe Rod can coach a couple of different styles, but it's a rare NHL coach that actually does that. Bowman did it, Torts did it...but most of them have their poo poo and that's what they do. And Rod's poo poo, while great, is too high intensity IMO for Vegas's roster. they're too old and injury prone. I think Rod would be a great fit with a lot of the league, since it's a young league and there's a lot of teams with players who can be physical, but he's not optimal in Vegas IMO unless he can coach a different way.

Pungry
Feb 26, 2011

JUST PICK ONE. ANY ONE.

ThinkTank posted:

Barret Hayton is starting to look like one of the worst draft decisions ever. Thank you so much for Quinn Hughes Chayka lol.

I can't overstate enough how bad the Barrett Hayton draft process was. Not only did John Chyaka boygenius his way into selecting this guy over Quinn Hughes, but he tampered during the draft process in a way that cost the Coyotes a 2020 2nd round draft pick and a 2021 1st round draft pick. Chyaka also picked Mitchell Miller in the 4th round of 2020 and then immediately had to reneg on the pick when Miller's whole bullying poo poo came back up in the public's consciousness. What an awful GM.

the talent deficit
Dec 20, 2003

self-deprecation is a very british trait, and problems can arise when the british attempt to do so with a foreign culture

Jamwad Hilder posted:

I mean if your team tops out at "maybe makes the playoffs" its arguably better to blow it up and try to build around your youngest core players rather than continue to struggle every year to maybe make the playoffs (the Vancouver model). Is that what the Coyotes did though? I dunno. Probably not on purpose.

the coyotes have something like half of all draft picks in the upcoming draft and the next. they have some kind of a plan. we'll see how good it is

fermun
Nov 4, 2009
My favorite thing about the current Coyotes situation is that their ECHL-affiliate now has the largest arena, followed by their AHL, followed by the NHL arena.

Twin Cinema
Jun 1, 2006

Playoffs are no big deal,
don't have a crap attack.

Jamwad Hilder posted:

The thing that's interesting to me about Arizona is that they're not completely inept. Like if you look at their draft history they are very good at finding quality NHL players. Maybe no real super stars (and thats the problem, I guess) but they have drafted lots of players who are average to good NHLers.

I have brought up the Coyotes drafting before, but it is kind of funny to look at their drafted players since 2010 that have made an impact.

Keller (good player)
Chychrun (good player -- looking to trade him if the rumours are correct)
Strome (unsure how to rate him -- got better in Chicago)
Garland (good player -- no longer with the Coyotes)
Kallgren (superstar -- no longer with the Coyotes)
Dvorak (useful player -- no longer with the Coyotes)
Bunting (2022 Rookie of the Year -- no longer with the Coyotes)
Domi (unsure how to rate him -- no longer with the Coyotes)

DJExile
Jun 28, 2007

FunOne posted:

Just throwing this out there but isn't there still an arena downtown where the Sun's play that the Yotes once played in too? With light rail service? How is that not an option?

It’s not built for hockey. The coyotes actually started there and there were all manner of bad sight lines where a good quarter of the fans couldn’t see one zone. The suns, understandably, wanted nothing to do with the mess after a while

CBJSprague24
Dec 5, 2010

another game at nationwide arena. everybody keeps asking me if they can fuck the cannon. buddy, they don't even let me fuck it

Didn't Rod only want to coach for Carolina? Meaning a blank check from a team which belongs to this thread might not be a draw?

triple sulk posted:

Holy poo poo, that WCF run the Coyotes had was 10 years ago

God damnit I wanted them to win that series so badly.

gently caress The King.

CBJSprague24 fucked around with this message at 19:51 on Apr 29, 2022

T-Bone
Sep 14, 2004

jakes did this?
The Guenther pick is looking pretty good at least, he could end up being a star.

They've gotten unlucky in the lottery but they need to absolute hit on all their firsts for the next four or five years to turn it around. They can't afford more Dylan Stromes and Barret Haytons. Those kinds of high profile misses can just cripple you McLeod over McAovy and Zacha over I can't even type all those names

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

clean ayers act
Aug 13, 2007

How do I shot puck!?
I wonder if we'll get a good old fashioned prospect hold out ala Lindros with the coyotes.
Like if i'm shane wright or connor bedard, do i really want to go play in a smaller arena than my junior arena and walk 100 ft across a parking lot in my skates and gear to practice?