Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Wolfsheim
Dec 23, 2003

"Ah," Ratz had said, at last, "the artiste."

RillAkBea posted:

Miscellaneous stuff

- "Why did that character have to die?" If they had to live at the end it makes them harder to write. They can have these characters (Nishiki, Mine, Ryuji were the examples they gave) do absolutely horrible things because they're going to die and disappear at the end and they don't have to worry about a redemption arc. "They were written to die in the first place"

Is this a Japanese media thing in general or is RGG super weird about the idea that a murderer could become a good person later

Its such a weird constraint stacked up next to Kiryu gunning down helicopters and throwing people from moving vehicles and such

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Dr. Cool Aids
Jul 6, 2009
It's weird because even some of the "good" characters have shot people and there's been no deep examination of the corruption on their soul or whatever gravitas they attach to it. I'm sure Daigo shot someone in Kiwami 2 and nobody gave a poo poo

KirbyKhan
Mar 20, 2009

Soiled Meat
Kiryu Kazuma has never murdered anyone

ZiegeDame
Aug 21, 2005

YUKIMURAAAA!
  • Wide variety of food-related buffs
  • Hunting wild animals
  • Fist-fight a bear
  • A colorful supporting cast of absolute weirdos
  • Plot-critical back tatoos
The next anime crossover game should be Golden Kamuy

Khanstant
Apr 5, 2007
majima didn't kill a guy for groping a hostess and everyone was hoping he would and i don't think it'd even be a crime: just don't grope, won't get beaten to death.

Lareine
Jul 22, 2007

KIIIRRRYYYUUUUU CHAAAANNNNNN

grate deceiver posted:

There's a few closup photos, it does look embroidered on both front symbols and the back graphic. I went and got the Ichiban one.

I have the Majima one and it is indeed embroidered though obviously not by hand. Quality is pretty good for what you pay though the satin is prone to runs.

Kojiro
Aug 11, 2003

LET'S GET TO THE TOP!
Yeah I have the Ryuji one, it's high quality stuff. Good fit too

grate deceiver
Jul 10, 2009

Just a funny av. Not a redtext or an own ok.

Lareine posted:

I have the Majima one and it is indeed embroidered though obviously not by hand. Quality is pretty good for what you pay though the satin is prone to runs.

Nice, the Majima one looks sweet as hell, it was my first choice but it sold out already

isk
Oct 3, 2007

You don't want me owing you
Impossibly happy about that Poppo apron

mycot
Oct 23, 2014

"It's okay. There are other Terminators! Just give us this one!"
Hell Gem

Sudden Javelin posted:

It's weird because even some of the "good" characters have shot people and there's been no deep examination of the corruption on their soul or whatever gravitas they attach to it. I'm sure Daigo shot someone in Kiwami 2 and nobody gave a poo poo

IIRC 2 had a guest writer and that's why it's the only game in the series where the good guys just flat out kill people and don't have to go through some terrible karmic penance for it*. Sayama shoots a guy too.

*Considering everything about Daigo in the broader series maybe not

Ainsley McTree
Feb 19, 2004

https://twitter.com/weadhitter/status/1520159755544768518?s=20&t=RwVBpwppJwBnSX67k5PmxQ

yakuza was ahead of its time

e: but, looking at it closer, also behind

Ainsley McTree fucked around with this message at 03:58 on Apr 30, 2022

RillAkBea
Oct 11, 2008

Wolfsheim posted:

Is this a Japanese media thing in general or is RGG super weird about the idea that a murderer could become a good person later

Its such a weird constraint stacked up next to Kiryu gunning down helicopters and throwing people from moving vehicles and such
I think its a little bit of both. The answer Yokoyama gave used the word 'tsugunai' (meaning atonement, reparation, etc.) a lot which is a thing of sorts in Japanese society/media. However, it's entirely RGG's individual interpretation of it.

Tonfa
Apr 8, 2008

I joined the #RXT REVOLUTION.
:boom:
he knows...

It's to the point it's genuinely shocking when a (real) killer in these games goes to jail for their crimes

A good poster
Jan 10, 2010
I think Kiwami 1 called me out for using CyricZ's guide for making a Pocket Circuit car.

Khanstant
Apr 5, 2007
hahaha I did the same guide but I don't think I was reading the text at that point.

is there ever other versions of mahjong in the series? Riichi sounds like the most complex and interesting format, but I just bought me a set of chunky chinese tiles, which i can still use for riichi-- but am curious how the chinese version plays out and I'd prefer to learn through Kiryu if possible.

Selenephos
Jul 9, 2010

Khanstant posted:

hahaha I did the same guide but I don't think I was reading the text at that point.

is there ever other versions of mahjong in the series? Riichi sounds like the most complex and interesting format, but I just bought me a set of chunky chinese tiles, which i can still use for riichi-- but am curious how the chinese version plays out and I'd prefer to learn through Kiryu if possible.

Nope. If a video game has mahjong it tends to be based on riichi mahjong, like Yakuza, Final Fantasy XIV or Mahjong Soul. I've not yet encountered a game with Old Hong Kong mahjong rules or American mahjong rules.

Wikipedia does mention some of the variations though.

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Mahjong#Variations

Khanstant
Apr 5, 2007
Just watched a couple beginner videos and it doesn't seem too far off, really. I'm probably not going to be scoring, gonna be hard to find 3 people to play with and I'll be explaining the rules and I'm a total noob but I think I can manage the basics of being the first to win with their hand. Some kind of hacky simplified version until I learn it better and maybe find actual players who know more than me to learn from. Looks like there used to be some occasional mahjong events in town or the area but their pages haven't been updated since 2019, go figure.

edit: I can also just play the old maid computer version by myself lol

Feels Villeneuve
Oct 7, 2007

Setter is Better.
Chinese is a bit weird because it is very heavily "house-rules"-based. There's a version called MCR which was intended to be a standardized ruleset for competition but the stuff you'd play on the street is more or less whatever your group of friends like.

A really popular one in China these days is Sichuan, which removes all honors/flowers from the game, and where play continues even after a player goes out until only one player remains. One reason it's popular is that each round is its own game/wager, rather than other forms which have a set number of rounds (which can last a while in Japanese because of the frequency of draws/round repeats).

https://mahjongsoft.com/files/SBR_ENG_part_1.pdf

Khanstant
Apr 5, 2007
The one I looked up was chinese tournament or competition rules. This sichuan one sounds fun too, I still glaze over at scoring, something that'll be easier to learn while playing i think, but the continuing rounds thing is pretty cool. in any case i'm excited to try and rope some folks in. next sunday there's an MtG group that meets at a bar and hangs out for a while, bet I could rope some of them in or find someone who already knows better than me.

KirbyKhan
Mar 20, 2009

Soiled Meat
The Sujimon Sensei is the best and I completely believe that he fights for world peace.

BIG FLUFFY DOG
Feb 16, 2011

On the internet, nobody knows you're a dog.

Feels Villeneuve posted:

Yakuza makes it very clear that having brutal heat moves done to you isn't really a big deal. You can throw someone off a building and they'll just be acting like they did a lot of cardio in the dialogue scene after

I really liked getting a bunch of guns from dragon and tiger and shooting them in yakuza 0 and having them just complain that my bullets hurt a lot :(

Khanstant
Apr 5, 2007
I always think to save my guns and stuff for the next boss battle, but then I get to it and the guns are awkward to use, sometimes i miss, and they don't do as much damage and I end up getting knocked down because I'm so focused on trying to fire the gun and they just keep smashing me until I switch back to fighting. Need to just starting randos with them.

p.s. for Slugger style, I noticed an upgrade to make weapons take no damage of a certain type when used, is there anyway to get Majima to whip out the equipped weapon in slugger mode without having to use d-pad to switch weapon? I'm assuming any weapon is a straight upgrade from the bat, but haven't really paid attention enough to test it.

History Comes Inside!
Nov 20, 2004

If you’re ever using a weapon you didn’t pick up off the ground just seconds before you smash it into some mook’s face you’re playing the game wrong anyway, tbh.

gimme the GOD DAMN candy
Jul 1, 2007
the only times i ever used weapons were in 5 to grind up proficiency or in k2, for those innumerable bouncer missions. god, why where there so many of them?

KirbyKhan
Mar 20, 2009

Soiled Meat
Seeing Patriarch Gondawara is like seeing an old friend.

Edit: oh good, hes a poundmate

KirbyKhan fucked around with this message at 23:52 on Apr 30, 2022

BIG FLUFFY DOG
Feb 16, 2011

Khanstant posted:

I always think to save my guns and stuff for the next boss battle, but then I get to it and the guns are awkward to use, sometimes i miss, and they don't do as much damage and I end up getting knocked down because I'm so focused on trying to fire the gun and they just keep smashing me until I switch back to fighting. Need to just starting randos with them.

p.s. for Slugger style, I noticed an upgrade to make weapons take no damage of a certain type when used, is there anyway to get Majima to whip out the equipped weapon in slugger mode without having to use d-pad to switch weapon? I'm assuming any weapon is a straight upgrade from the bat, but haven't really paid attention enough to test it.

I use the guns for mr shakedown but it takes an entire inventories worth of shotguns and I mainly do it because it makes me laugh to see them wonder how I’m so good at fighting when I just shot him 400 times

RareAcumen
Dec 28, 2012

I used guns for the Shakedown enemies and I'd just make random stuff just to check out the heat moves.

Other than that, I just had something on hand just in case I fought a boss and had already used the Essence moves to stop their regen. So mostly Kiwami 1 and Shinada.

KirbyKhan
Mar 20, 2009

Soiled Meat
It's always sunny in Ijincho

Apraxin
Feb 22, 2006

General-Admiral

BIG FLUFFY DOG posted:

I use the guns for mr shakedown but it takes an entire inventories worth of shotguns
If you use Zap Guns you can take him out with only one or two gun’s worth.

Last Celebration
Mar 30, 2010
They really really hate the slime gun too for some reason.

KirbyKhan
Mar 20, 2009

Soiled Meat
The gang runs a candy business!

The gang gets politically active.

The gang goes to Vocational school.

KirbyKhan
Mar 20, 2009

Soiled Meat
After getting Ichiban Confections to rank 95 I feel like this should count for MBA Professional Development credit hour.

Like anyone can manage a business. Step 1 is to call some fabulously wealthy dude who taught you to use a cell phone one time and then fire people to make the big red scary SURPLUS LABOR expense to go away. Now I'm carefully lining up promotions to fill bars that I have a general sense of understanding, like no I'm not 100% the effect of having mismatched lip and basket icons but I do know that bar has to go up.

Khanstant
Apr 5, 2007
Hire chicken, best move you can make in business.

I just had a quest where it's implied/told that the bartender of Shellac, who previously merely looked away for black market weapons deals, is actually the leader of a human trafficking ring. Man I hope I get to kick this guy's rear end.

BIG FLUFFY DOG
Feb 16, 2011

The chicken in ichiban confections cannot be fired. He is stupid OP up until rank 10 because his action cost is so low that you can just spam him in meetings non stop.

A good poster
Jan 10, 2010
In Yakuza 7, the conversation with Ikari in his substory about how he has trouble getting a job because he was bad at interviews got to me because I'd had some unemployment issues in the past. I hired him for Ichiban Holdings when he became available, but then I quickly laid him off because his stats were terrible, and I honestly felt guilty for doing it.

MorningMoon
Dec 29, 2013

He's been tapping into Aunt May's bank account!
Didn't I kill him with a HELICOPTER?
I felt great not even hiring him and then loving his crush in the classroom

King Vidiot
Feb 17, 2007

You think you can take me at Satan's Hollow? Go 'head on!

BIG FLUFFY DOG posted:

The chicken in ichiban confections cannot be fired. He is stupid OP up until rank 10 because his action cost is so low that you can just spam him in meetings non stop.

"This is an outrage, I am a majority shareholder in this company and I demand to know why--"
*BA-GAAAWK!*
"I cede my time."

Khanstant
Apr 5, 2007

A good poster posted:

In Yakuza 7, the conversation with Ikari in his substory about how he has trouble getting a job because he was bad at interviews got to me because I'd had some unemployment issues in the past. I hired him for Ichiban Holdings when he became available, but then I quickly laid him off because his stats were terrible, and I honestly felt guilty for doing it.

lol dude I had the same guilts. I even tried to run my company for a while not worrying about performance, just paying nice folks good wages. The insidious thing about business though is it quickly erodes your sensibilities to just blindly do whatever makes number go up.

Kind of going through it again in Yakuza Zero now, just started doing the real estate business stuff. At least here it doesn't feel like I'm keeping folks out of a job so much as just paying some acquaintances to collect rent we don't deserve. So far my favourite part of the business game were the postcards and interview sidestories. The notion of someone coming to a job interview just to collect on cab fare is pretty funny, walking from your home to the red light district to pocket 200 bucks cab fare. Kiryu writing his take on some of your sidequests hoping to get on the radio show he judged at first as judgement kazzy was just good yakuzaing.

bobjr
Oct 16, 2012

Roose is loose.
🐓🐓🐓✊🪧

It’s kind of nice Kiryu’s dream was to help orphans because if he wanted to be evil no one could stop him.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

SiKboy
Oct 28, 2007

Oh no!😱

BIG FLUFFY DOG posted:

Up until rank 10? Chicken and Granny literally never left my board for the entire game.