Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Doomykins
Jun 28, 2008

Didn't you mean to ask about flowers?

Filthy Haiku posted:

I blew through all the way to gold, but I honestly can't imagine taking it all the way to crystal; the low HP is reallllllll bad. A coordinated team can kill you with a stun and an imp.

My favorite part of playing MCH in FL is seeing a lower than average HP class with my LB up. Just straight up "time for a break, kiddo" jackass play. 41k with Battle High 4 or 5 or getting a mortar tic is cruelty itself.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

sassassin
Apr 3, 2010

by Azathoth

CJ posted:

I'm glad i did 2.0 back in Stormblood and have no memories of any of it.

Ironically, everything else in that quest is great. The music building into the Garuda fight. World's greatest showman Gaius making his entrance and equally flashy exit identical to Nanomo's when Raubahn picks her up, only with a Weapon doing the lifting so you know he's a very special boy. Primals showing up and Alphinaud panicking (which is more fun in ARR because we're not supposed to feel sorry for him yet).

It's just an utterly bizarre bit of filler akin to that Star Wars movie taking time out to explain how Han Solo got his fuzzy dice (or his name). Only worse because the explanation doesn't even make sense.

Kerrzhe
Nov 5, 2008

i thought the goggles scene was only for legacy characters? i don't remember getting it

Vitamean
May 31, 2012

I remember getting it on my fresh 2.0 character.

Orcs and Ostriches
Aug 26, 2010

The Great Twist
I started 2.3 or 2.4 and had the goggles scene, and had no idea what was happening.

Veotax
May 16, 2006

Kerrzhe posted:

i thought the goggles scene was only for legacy characters? i don't remember getting it

Nope, it's for everyone. It's really weird and I thought they would have explained it by now, I wonder if they've forgotten about it or is hoping everyone else will.

kung fu jive
Jul 2, 2014

SOPHISTICATED DOG SHIT

sassassin posted:

I know I've posted this exact thing before, but god drat is "Cid's magic goggles were given to him by our WoL's ghost/spirit" the single dumbest moment in the entire 1000 hour game.

It's a really tough battle between Cid and Minfilia for the worst ARR character. Garbage design, terrible VA, incredibly dumb in their own special ways.

100% agree. It is the single dumbest thing in this story.

As far as the characters go, Minfilia could have been great but she just never got developed into the story. Krile is similar but at least contributes more out of combat help to the gang.

Cid I just want to punch in the face. I can't really speak objectively about the character because I just don't like.. literally anything about him.

No Mods No Masters
Oct 3, 2004

Alphinaud was willing to risk the world ending rather than giving cid a call during the whole ragnarok refit thing, I took it as a sign he's a bit sick of dealing with the guy as well

Warmachine
Jan 30, 2012

Mr. Nice! posted:

Did you pick the Goku choice and get the smirk?

There was another choice? :namazu:

:ssj: "Can't deny that."
:twisted: "YES, THERE IT IS!"

fake edit: It was so anime and over the top that it made a really good palate cleanser after everything else. I think that's what makes the Goku choice worth picking; You did it, you saved the universe. Now it's time to kick back and have some fun.

kung fu jive
Jul 2, 2014

SOPHISTICATED DOG SHIT

No Mods No Masters posted:

Alphinaud was willing to risk the world ending rather than giving cid a call during the whole ragnarok refit thing, I took it as a sign he's a bit sick of dealing with the guy as well

:hmmyes:

I hit a huge slump in CC and am still stuck in Silver. I switched from NIN to RDM and the wins are rolling in again. I don't really care about ELO but I want my 60 wins mount (and maybe an airship idk). The real winner here is everyone because PVP is good and fun.

hazardousmouse
Dec 17, 2010
I just wish the meta was a little more level. Having war, whm, sam, drg show up on both sides for the majority of matches is just downright tedious

Vitamean
May 31, 2012

the upshot of that is a lot of people are playing those jobs without understanding what makes them good, which makes them very farmable for kills

Argas
Jan 13, 2008
SRW Fanatic

Vitamean posted:

the upshot of that is a lot of people are playing those jobs without understanding what makes them good, which makes them very farmable for kills

art imitates life

Allarion
May 16, 2009

がんばルビ!

sassassin posted:

I know I've posted this exact thing before, but god drat is "Cid's magic goggles were given to him by our WoL's ghost/spirit" the single dumbest moment in the entire 1000 hour game.

It's a really tough battle between Cid and Minfilia for the worst ARR character. Garbage design, terrible VA, incredibly dumb in their own special ways.

It's just the WoL unconsciously using their Azem powers, and we just never questioned it, and forgot that we did that.

Sorta like how we keep meditating extreme versions of all our cool primal fights, and keep creating mounts and weapons outta thin air.

petcarcharodon
Jun 25, 2013

Lord_Magmar posted:

It’s just a fancy way to tell you who is chained together because you get knocked apart and then explode when they get too far apart.

Because the explosion is so big you do legitimately need to know who your partner is, which has never been a thing for spread breaking chains before.

A while back but it also tells you which 'group' you're chained in. Red circle is always 2 DPS, purple square is always a DPS and a tank, green triangle is always a DPS and a healer, and blue cross is always a healer and a tank. Though, this all falls apart if people go into it dead. Haven't been far enough to confirm if that's still the case when it shows up again way later in the fight.

mikemil828
May 15, 2008

A man who has said too much

No Mods No Masters posted:

My head canon is that Jessie had the hotline linkpearl at the time to prevent Cid from constantly running off and only reluctantly told him because it is literally the end of the world.

Personally I am fine with Cid, but he is better with Nero in tow.

Allarion
May 16, 2009

がんばルビ!
Joking aside, the goggles scene sorta reflects how the 1.0 echo used to work, where the WoL sorta had some weird influence on past events. It was kind of confusing though since 1.0 echo sections were playable so presumably the 1.0 WoL was roleplaying as someone else for those sections, but it was kind of ambiguous. Got even more confusing when you got echos within echos.

primaltrash
Feb 11, 2008

(Thought-ful Croak)
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=03VC4mu4sK8

Argas
Jan 13, 2008
SRW Fanatic

The 1.0 echo essentially left an imprint of you in that person's memory. Rather than just watching a flashback, it someone places you in the situation such that the person's memory you're viewing will remember this new version of their memory as the right one and might even realize you've been looking into their memory.

Vitamean
May 31, 2012

lmfao that scene is even more baffling than I remember

rantmo
Jul 30, 2003

A smile better suits a hero

kung fu jive posted:

As far as the characters go, Minfilia could have been great but she just never got developed into the story.

Minifilia also suffered from one of the worst loving VO performances I've ever heard in my life. Even if she had been written better than she was, the performance would render it moot.

The Black Stones
May 7, 2007

I POSTED WHAT NOW!?

hazardousmouse posted:

I just wish the meta was a little more level. Having war, whm, sam, drg show up on both sides for the majority of matches is just downright tedious

The meta is getting outright bizarre. The new thing I’m seeing is groups holding back to initiate because now it’s a thing for a bunch of people to use the fast run sections to try run behind and get a kill. Except one or two people don’t notice this is happening and so you’ve got someone yeeting themselves into certain death because they figure “yes everyone will follow me. I’m the captain after all.”

Just…fight as a group. Please.

sassassin
Apr 3, 2010

by Azathoth
I haven't played Endwalker yet but I'm assuming the Chekov's goggles will be important one day. The final battlefield is a bit dusty and being able to cover his eyes turns the tide.

limp dick calvin
Sep 1, 2006

Strepitoso. Vedete? Una meraviglia.

The Black Stones posted:

The meta is getting outright bizarre. The new thing I’m seeing is groups holding back to initiate because now it’s a thing for a bunch of people to use the fast run sections to try run behind and get a kill. Except one or two people don’t notice this is happening and so you’ve got someone yeeting themselves into certain death because they figure “yes everyone will follow me. I’m the captain after all.”

Just…fight as a group. Please.

I saw some of this today. Because they were so split up we killed both groups and won pretty quickly lmao.

Warmachine
Jan 30, 2012

rantmo posted:

Minifilia also suffered from one of the worst loving VO performances I've ever heard in my life. Even if she had been written better than she was, the performance would render it moot.

Terrible VA is the norm, at least for the EN track, in ARR. I've kinda written off the lot of it as unratable in English since nothing said sounds like something a human would say. There are almost certainly writing problems, but they're drowned out any time one of the directionless VAs speaks.

Maximum Tomfoolery
Apr 12, 2010

There's some early ARR dialog that straight-up tells you that when you use the Echo to look into someone's memories, it's possible to project yourself into those memories to some extent (though you cannot actually change the past). As far as I remember, there's no payoff to that Chekov's Gun beyond the Cid goggles scene, which still doesn't exactly make sense.

-

In the Sharlayan CC map, I've seen the "run around and hit them from behind" gambit work exactly once, which is exactly enough times for the victims to learn and never fall for it again. There is no way to move around undetected except for hoping that your enemy is tunnel-visioning, which you can't realistically control, predict, or identify.

edit: Also pro CC tip, unless you're trying to unlock the checkpoint, you never need more than one person in the circle at a time. It can help to have 2 jic someone gets holmganged away, but generally you want to stay at least a few yalms away from teammates if you can help it. I've seen a match where, after wiping the entire enemy team and pushing to the checkpoint uncontested, we lost 4 people in 2 seconds from a WHM/DRG combo and ended up losing the match.

Do NOT stand together if all of the enemy team is charging at you with their cds and LBs up, it doesn't matter if you're on the checkpoint or not, don't do it. A SGE LB might even save you from the WHM laser, but it won't do anything about a DRG nuke.

Maximum Tomfoolery fucked around with this message at 20:34 on Apr 29, 2022

sassassin
Apr 3, 2010

by Azathoth

Warmachine posted:

Terrible VA is the norm, at least for the EN track, in ARR. I've kinda written off the lot of it as unratable in English since nothing said sounds like something a human would say. There are almost certainly writing problems, but they're drowned out any time one of the directionless VAs speaks.

Minfilia speaks like she's putting on an unfamiliar accent to try to speak to a speech recognition robot. It's good that people don't pay much attention to what she says though as most of it turns out to be wrong and/or stupid, even in ARR itself, and we're expected to connect with the Scions and their cause. The Scions don't really live up to their reputation, and the Archons are the only members on the ball excepting the newly joined WoL and the dungeon NPCs, who are great lads.

My favourite bit is when she hears Scions being murdered outside her door and utters an irritated "Confound it." How frustrating it must have been for her.

Mr. Nice!
Oct 13, 2005

bone shaking.
soul baking.

Warmachine posted:

There was another choice? :namazu:

:ssj: "Can't deny that."
:twisted: "YES, THERE IT IS!"

fake edit: It was so anime and over the top that it made a really good palate cleanser after everything else. I think that's what makes the Goku choice worth picking; You did it, you saved the universe. Now it's time to kick back and have some fun.

:hmmyes:

Filthy Haiku
Oct 22, 2010

i am shattering like glass

but at least
i have

springy ride
I moved over to Siren to play with my husband and roommate at the end of shadowbringers and I just can't seem to find a group of people willing to raid again. Are there any goon adjacent FCs or linkshells anywhere on aether? Last time I had tried to join a rando static I got hit with some really gross sexism. and I apparently dodged a bullet by not mentioning i'm trans lol

Mister Olympus
Oct 31, 2011

Buzzard, Who Steals From Dead Bodies

Maximum Tomfoolery posted:

There's some early ARR dialog that straight-up tells you that when you use the Echo to look into someone's memories, it's possible to project yourself into those memories to some extent (though you cannot actually change the past). As far as I remember, there's no payoff to that Chekov's Gun beyond the Cid goggles scene, which still doesn't exactly make sense.

Bozja, which also even includes cid

Electric Phantasm
Apr 7, 2011

YOSPOS

Got the Chrysalis in my trial roulette forgot this even existed since I never see it pop up.

Completely forgot about the mechanic that works completely the opposite everytime it shows up afterwards.

Electric Phantasm fucked around with this message at 21:49 on Apr 29, 2022

SettingSun
Aug 10, 2013

Chrysalis' only positive is that the time dilation of buffs is really funny for certain roles, like tanks.

Hogama
Sep 3, 2011
The Cid's goggles scene might be simply intended as more of a messy symbolic metaphor, with the WoL helping Cid get his identity back, but it's muddled by the Echo being a thing and a weirder thing in 1.0 at that.
1.0 Echo was more like somehow constructing a kind of recreation of memories with the Echo-user inserted into the scene, which they could then explore at will - going where they will, exploring angles the initial observer never saw, and even in at least one case taking an item from the Echo scene back into present day(this was never explained and never happened again), and at the end of it there'd sometimes be an imprint on the original someone (or someones) who had the memories in the first place. Which was even more convoluted because frequently you wouldn't even know you'd started and were part of an Echo scene until you finally left it.

For the most part they just kind of quietly retooled the Echo into a straight sepia-toned cutscene viewer, though the special duty at the beginning of Bozja might be a directed application of the old method.
And they also made an image of young Cid with already owning his goggles.

cheetah7071
Oct 20, 2010

honk honk
College Slice

SettingSun posted:

Chrysalis' only positive is that the time dilation of buffs is really funny for certain roles, like tanks.

you will never get to flex with your infinite duration hallowed ground, because every DF party will just utterly collapse if they don't save LB3 and kill the tear before the meteors drop

cheetah7071
Oct 20, 2010

honk honk
College Slice
the chrysalis phase of Ascians (Ultimate), coming 2025, is going to be loving lit though

HackensackBackpack
Aug 20, 2007

Who needs a house out in Hackensack? Is that all you get for your money?
Does anyone know of any good MNK guides (PvE)? I want to like it but I'm not entirely sure where everything fits and it feels clunky and unintuitive for me. When I do Blitz and such?

cheetah7071
Oct 20, 2010

honk honk
College Slice

HackensackBackpack posted:

Does anyone know of any good MNK guides (PvE)? I want to like it but I'm not entirely sure where everything fits and it feels clunky and unintuitive for me. When I do Blitz and such?

The best collection of ffxiv gameplay advice is the balance discord:

https://discord.gg/thebalanceffxiv

they have a website too but idk how complete it is

Martman
Nov 20, 2006

HackensackBackpack posted:

Basically use Riddle of Fire every time it's available, and only Blitz during that buff. Before you have access to RoF, just Blitz whenever it's available. There's lots of weird optimization and nitpicky stuff for monks to do in hard content, but you can do extremely well by basically using your 3 main buffs (Riddle of Fire, Riddle of Wind, and Brotherhood) every time they're available. You should never be using Celestial Revolution, that's basically your "oops I hosed up" Blitz result, you always want to be doing either 3 of the same Chakra type or 3 different ones when getting your Lunar and Solar Nadi. When getting the Lunar Nadi (i.e. using 3 of the same Chakra type and then casting Elixir Field), you always want to get those 3 by alternating Dragon Kick and buffed Bootshine.

Martman fucked around with this message at 22:13 on Apr 29, 2022

boloney
May 29, 2021
You always blitz when it's available. RoF always lines up with your Tornado Kick/Phantom Rush anyways

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Martman
Nov 20, 2006

boloney posted:

You always blitz when it's available. RoF always lines up with your Tornado Kick/Phantom Rush anyways
Blitz's cooldown (per charge) is 40s and RoF's is 60s, so you have to hold Blitz for use with your RoF. Or am I missing something?

e: I'd say the way it actually nicely lines up is that as long as you use RoF on cooldown every time, you'll never be stuck sitting at 2 charges of Blitz for any significant amount of time. You definitely don't want to use it every single time a charge is available though, and you also don't want to wait until it has 2 every time.

Martman fucked around with this message at 22:17 on Apr 29, 2022