Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Bar Ran Dun
Jan 22, 2006

bonelessdongs posted:

I stopped looking for houses because all it did was make me feel like poo poo and start thinking thoughts best left in a shack in Montana

for me this is the: this is my hole it was made for me, window to home ownership.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

actionjackson
Jan 12, 2003

euphronius posted:

it’s the basis of R1 zoning which is extremely common

R1 zoning prohibits people who are not related living together?

euphronius
Feb 18, 2009

euphronius
Feb 18, 2009

actionjackson posted:

R1 zoning prohibits people who are not related living together?

usually non married couples are allowed

euphronius
Feb 18, 2009

single family usually covers rentals as well when renting is even allowed

actionjackson
Jan 12, 2003

I don't know about california, but in the twin cities many people have unrelated roommates

lobotomy molo
May 7, 2007

by Jeffrey of YOSPOS

spacemang_spliff posted:

good news is that they're not going to cancel loans so you don't have to kill yourself

dark lol

euphronius
Feb 18, 2009

i guess it’s unlikely to get a citation for having a roommate in a single family zoned area but it’s possible especially if your neighbors don’t like you

actionjackson
Jan 12, 2003

euphronius posted:

i guess it’s unlikely to get a citation for having a roommate in a single family zoned area but it’s possible especially if your neighbors don’t like you

we had some people renting a townhome that were students (I'm right next to a huge university), which was fine, except they eventually had like six in there, which was the only issue, as they ended up taking up the guest parking spots

God Hole
Mar 2, 2016

Ladue v Horn, the famous "brady bunch" case, where a family was broken up because they were unmarried. their appeal was denied because, no joke, it could "adversely affect property values":

https://www.lexisnexis.com/community/casebrief/p/casebrief-ladue-v-horn-1071546274#:~:text=Rule%3A,or%20welfare%20of%20the%20community. posted:

In July 1981, defendants Joan Horn and E. Terrence Jones purchased a seven-bedroom, four-bathroom house which was located in a single-family residential zone in Ladue, Missouri. Residing in their home were Horn’s two children (aged 16 and 19) and Jones's one child (age 18). The two older children attended out-of-state universities and lived in the house only on a part-time basis. Although defendants were not married, they shared a common bedroom, maintained a joint checking account for the household expenses, ate their meals together, entertained together, and disciplined each other's children. Pursuant to its Zoning Ordinance No. 1175, plaintiff City of Ladue made demands upon defendants to vacate their home because their household did not comprise a family. Family had been defined by the ordinance as “one or more persons related by blood, marriage or adoption, occupying a dwelling unit as an individual housekeeping organization.” When defendants refused to vacate, the City sought to enjoin defendants' continued violation of the zoning ordinance. Defendants counterclaimed, seeking a declaration that the zoning ordinance was constitutionally void. The trial court entered a permanent injunction in favor of the City.

Moore v City of East Cleveland, wherein a woman was criminally charged for taking in her orphaned grandson (overturned in a 5/4 supreme court decision):

https://www.lexisnexis.com/community/casebrief/p/casebrief-moore-v-east-cleveland posted:

The appellant lived in a home with her son and two grandsons. The grandsons were cousins, with one of the grandsons moving in after his mother died. Appellant received notice that she was in violation of Cleveland's criminal statute that limits occupants of a dwelling to members of a single family. The appellant's family did not meet the definiation that was required by the statute. She was convicted and sentenced to 5 days in jail and a $25 fine.

Glassboro v Vallorosi, where a group of ten college students got around their zoning ordinance by assuming the 'functional equivalent of a family', which meant they always ate meals together, cooked for each other, shared household chores, and opened a common checking account together to pay bills:

https://law.justia.com/cases/new-jersey/supreme-court/1990/117-n-j-421-1.html posted:

The narrow issue presented in this case is whether a group of ten unrelated college students living in defendants' home constitutes a "family" within the definition of a restrictive zoning ordinance. The Borough of Glassboro concedes that a primary purpose of the ordinance was to prevent groups of unrelated college students from living together in the Borough's residential districts. The ordinance limits residence in such districts to stable and permanent "single housekeeping units" that constitute either a "traditional family unit" or its functional equivalent.

euphronius
Feb 18, 2009

yeah man

zoning appeals is like the ww3 of litigation out there it’s wild

bawfuls
Oct 28, 2009

grandma living with two grandkids: fine and jailtime

10 college kids in one house: totally fine cause they eat together

God Hole
Mar 2, 2016

bawfuls posted:

grandma living with two grandkids: fine and jailtime

10 college kids in one house: totally fine cause they eat together

Only registered members can see post attachments!

christmas boots
Oct 15, 2012

To these sing-alongs 🎤of siren 🧜🏻‍♀️songs
To oohs😮 to ahhs😱 to 👏big👏applause👏
With all of my 😡anger I scream🤬 and shout📢
🇺🇸America🦅, I love you 🥰but you're freaking 💦me 😳out
Biscuit Hider

bonelessdongs posted:

I stopped looking for houses because all it did was make me feel like poo poo and start thinking thoughts best left in a shack in Montana

This is very distressing to hear.

I mean, Montana?

Vox Nihili
May 28, 2008

christmas boots posted:

This is very distressing to hear.

I mean, Montana?

It's a reference to Ted Kaczynski

christmas boots
Oct 15, 2012

To these sing-alongs 🎤of siren 🧜🏻‍♀️songs
To oohs😮 to ahhs😱 to 👏big👏applause👏
With all of my 😡anger I scream🤬 and shout📢
🇺🇸America🦅, I love you 🥰but you're freaking 💦me 😳out
Biscuit Hider

Vox Nihili posted:

It's a reference to Ted Kaczynski

Huh, no wonder he did it.

Homeless Friend
Jul 16, 2007

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=sFGmhvx1elk

Vox Nihili
May 28, 2008

christmas boots posted:

Huh, no wonder he did it.

The best explanation for why he killed a bunch of people is probably the insane psychological torture inflicted on him by a deranged Harvard psychologist in his late teens. Just grabbing the summary from Wikipedia:

quote:

In his second year at Harvard, Kaczynski participated in a study described by author Alston Chase as a "purposely brutalizing psychological experiment" led by Harvard psychologist Henry Murray. Subjects were told they would debate personal philosophy with a fellow student and were asked to write essays detailing their personal beliefs and aspirations. The essays were given to an anonymous individual who would confront and belittle the subject in what Murray himself called "vehement, sweeping, and personally abusive" attacks, using the content of the essays as ammunition.[25] Electrodes monitored the subject's physiological reactions. These encounters were filmed, and subjects' expressions of anger and rage were later played back to them repeatedly.[25] The experiment lasted three years, with someone verbally abusing and humiliating Kaczynski each week.[26][27] Kaczynski spent 200 hours as part of the study.[28]

He was 17 when they did this to him!

Vox Nihili has issued a correction as of 20:25 on Apr 29, 2022

Homeless Friend
Jul 16, 2007
200 hours lmfao

Eason the Fifth
Apr 9, 2020
Lol and people wonder why military folks are hosed up

bawfuls
Oct 28, 2009

actually it’s about ethics in psychological research

Antonymous
Apr 4, 2009

I remember a webcomic or something that said getting older means having more and more trivial little arguments to replay in your head

they gave him a lifetime dose as a teen

Salt Fish
Sep 11, 2003

Cybernetic Crumb

Vox Nihili posted:

The best explanation for why he killed a bunch of people is probably the insane psychological torture inflicted on him by a deranged Harvard psychologist in his late teens. Just grabbing the summary from Wikipedia:

He was 17 when they did this to him!

What a loving lightweight, I volunteer for that poo poo on the forums and twitter like 80 hours a week.

cool av
Mar 2, 2013

https://www.bostonmagazine.com/property/2022/04/28/burhan-azeem-cambridge-housing/

quote:

And with a flexible budget ($1,000 to $1,500 a month) and a decent salary, you’d think it’d be easy to find a nice place to live, right? Not so much. For $1,000 a month, Azeem faced such options as a room with no heat and no windows (just a skylight that he was assured opened and closed), and apartments with insect infestations. There were places with no storage space and ones where the existing tenant admitted the electricity occasionally went out because the landlord would forget to pay utilities.

lol city council members can't afford to live in the city they council unless they are independently wealthy

Nonsense
Jan 26, 2007

Boston Racists

Honky Mao
Dec 26, 2012

Nonsense posted:

Boston Racists

No sports talk, the Eagles are obviously better anyways (go birds)

vyelkin
Jan 2, 2011
just read the second story this month about someone in Toronto opting for medical euthanasia because they can't afford an apartment that doesn't trigger their disability and cause constant pain

euphronius
Feb 18, 2009

well there you go market solutions

Eason the Fifth
Apr 9, 2020

euphronius posted:

well there you go market solutions

Rip Testes
Jan 29, 2004

I never forget a face, but in your case I'll be glad to make an exception.
Airbnb going to full remote model globally - 'Compensation won't change for those Airbnb employees who choose to move. Starting in June, the company will have single pay tiers by country. '

ate shit on live tv
Feb 15, 2004

by Azathoth

Rip Testes posted:

Airbnb going to full remote model globally - 'Compensation won't change for those Airbnb employees who choose to move. Starting in June, the company will have single pay tiers by country. '

More tech companies are doing this. The one I work at has been 100% remote from the beginning and afaik, there is no difference in comp regardless of where you live. So may as well choose a nice place with not "too" expensive housing, (I chose Chicago).

Ferdinand Bardamu
Apr 30, 2013
gtfo gentrifier

ate shit on live tv
Feb 15, 2004

by Azathoth

WaryWarren posted:

gtfo gentrifier

lol

i say swears online
Mar 4, 2005

i need like 1.2 million people in the austin area to move to chicago plz

CRUSTY MINGE
Mar 30, 2011

Peggy Hill
Foot Connoisseur
I'm trying to get my cousin outside Austin to move to Colorado. At least the rent is affordable in my area.

No dice so far. I don't get what he sees in the place anymore. He's a musician and says the local scene has gone to poo poo.

i say swears online
Mar 4, 2005

CRUSTY MINGE posted:

I'm trying to get my cousin outside Austin to move to Colorado. At least the rent is affordable in my area.

No dice so far. I don't get what he sees in the place anymore. He's a musician and says the local scene has gone to poo poo.

the music scene is awful. live music is dead. i used to hang out in smoky bars when i was eighteen and listen to bands all the time

ate shit on live tv
Feb 15, 2004

by Azathoth

i say swears online posted:

the music scene is awful. live music is dead. i used to hang out in smoky bars when i was eighteen and listen to bands all the time

College in Austin was cool as gently caress, but when I went back there maybe two years ago and all of the bars on 6th st and 4th street are just the old names, but none of the atmosphere that made them good if they even still exist at all. The Library doesn't even have books anymore. The Aquarium has one wall that is an aquarium. Maggie May's has no defining characteristics. Austin City Limits is gone and replaced with condo's. Pretty sure all of the houses/bars on Rainy street are condo's now. The Iconic drag is now indistinguishable from any suburban shopping street with the same starbucks/chase bank/panera combination as all the others.

Xaris
Jul 25, 2006

Lucky there's a family guy
Lucky there's a man who positively can do
All the things that make us
Laugh and cry

ate poo poo on live tv posted:

College in Austin was cool as gently caress, but when I went back there maybe two years ago and all of the bars on 6th st and 4th street are just the old names, but none of the atmosphere that made them good if they even still exist at all. The Library doesn't even have books anymore. The Aquarium has one wall that is an aquarium. Maggie May's has no defining characteristics. Austin City Limits is gone and replaced with condo's. Pretty sure all of the houses/bars on Rainy street are condo's now. The Iconic drag is now indistinguishable from any suburban shopping street with the same starbucks/chase bank/panera combination as all the others.
this isn't an uncommon fate. san francisco has largely been gutted culturally big time the last 15+ years. 2005 was probably around the last year it had anything resembling it's former self. oakland started undergoing this recently and still clinging on a bit but rapidly depleting too.

portland and seattle too. last time i was in seattle it was so loving bad. just completely sterile garbage

turns out when you ban people from being poor, crack down on communal living spaces, make sure rents go from <$500/mon to $1500-2000+, and remove old artist lots and grungier industrial areas to build new luxury condos everything goes to poo poo. who knew.

i am harry
Oct 14, 2003

followed a story about a colorado inmate testing positive for bird flu because they were bussed to montrose, in the sw corner of the state, to kill infected birds, to looking for houses for sale there.

lmzo

https://www.zillow.com/homedetails/130-S-3rd-St-Montrose-CO-81401/111197921_zpid/

Only registered members can see post attachments!

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

CRUSTY MINGE
Mar 30, 2011

Peggy Hill
Foot Connoisseur
Montrose is weird. It's also it one of the most drought stricken parts of the state.