Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

zedprime
Jun 9, 2007

yospos
The act of creation has always been legally illusive. IP focuses on results and not methods to try and simplify it but it really just opens it's own legal cans of worms in every avenue. Chemistry is a really fun patent IP space to be in because of the peculiarities that basically let you patent methods, but don't call them methods, they are processes and processes are a thing and not a method.

The difference between paint brushes and chimps hitting shutters and programs spitting out random noise are specific intersections to give judges headaches about where method ends and result begins. Most businesses who live and die on IP usually just start with a contract that assume every result possibly related to them is theirs and then bully dissenters around with legal fees to avoid the hard questions about monkeys taking pictures.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Beefed Owl
Sep 13, 2007

Come at me scrub-lord I'm ripped!

Isentropy posted:

Someone made this exact point. The Wilpons had to pay back all the money they got from knowingly being in a Ponzi. There was real money to get back and a real asset - the Mets.

Not applicable here

Real asset and Mets shouldn't be in the same sentence

chaosbreather
Dec 9, 2001

Wry and wise,
but also very sexual.

i dunno, i think the only way anyone will know for sure is if someone directly tests it in court, but from the slight amount related precedence it seems like unless you can prove a human did a chunk of it, it is uncopyrightable. either way i agree with the eagle that its pretty risky

Random Stranger
Nov 27, 2009

I saw something the other day the another country was making bitcoin an official currency. And that country was the Central African Republic.

ghosTTy
Sep 22, 2008

(USER WAS PUT ON PROBATION FOR THIS POST)

Lumbermouth
Mar 6, 2008

GREG IS BIG NOW

There he is.

FilthyImp
Sep 30, 2002

Anime Deviant
BITCOIN'S HOT I TELLS YA, THIS IN NO WAY IS A MUSKPUMP! MY SHOE SHINE SAID SO SEE!

MarcusSA
Sep 23, 2007

I remember this race track from gran turismo

Hammerite
Mar 9, 2007

And you don't remember what I said here, either, but it was pompous and stupid.
Jade Ear Joe
https://swichlabs.com is full of powerful bagholder energy

Hammerite
Mar 9, 2007

Jade Ear Joe
lol https://swichlabs.com/china-the-paper-tiger

can anyone identify the thesis here or why they made this page and linked it in the navigation bar

Macichne Leainig
Jul 26, 2012

by VG

I too like pretty colors. Thanks for sharing :)

FilthyImp
Sep 30, 2002

Anime Deviant
Imaging 4 bagholders at the end of a cliffe...

punishedkissinger
Sep 20, 2017

Hammerite
Mar 9, 2007

Jade Ear Joe
admins please rename ghosTTy to Crypto Stu

punishedkissinger
Sep 20, 2017

this is the chart he thinks is on the verge of exploding straight up btw

Zil
Jun 4, 2011

Satanically Summoned Citrus

Hammerite posted:

repiv
Aug 13, 2009

i'm the implication that 1 BTC will be worth $100B in 2030, which when all bitcoins are mined would put its market cap at 2 quintillion dollars

Macichne Leainig
Jul 26, 2012

by VG

punishedkissinger posted:

Yeah but have you considered:

It's called technical analysis sweaty, look it up. :colbert:

notwithoutmyanus
Mar 17, 2009
Lol remind him what happens if we hit 20k and below. Which, guess what, we're not far from.

Mozi
Apr 4, 2004

Forms change so fast
Time is moving past
Memory is smoke
Gonna get wider when I die
Nap Ghost

WorldIndustries
Dec 21, 2004

but the log axis looks so much better for his portfolio, how could you do this??

istewart
Apr 13, 2005

Still contemplating why I didn't register here under a clever pseudonym

Nuclear missile test

ChronoBasher
Jul 2, 2007
I keep getting into stupid arguments with people at work over "wallets".

Is it an oversimplification that really all a wallet is, is a public/private key pair?

Like I keep arguing that all the seed phrase, 2fa, and other crap wallets app do don't matter if someone gets a hold of your private key. Like sure those things are all good, but they are completely irrelevant in a key compromise because all the Blockchain gives a poo poo about is if the transaction has a valid digital signiture.

For some reason they keep thinking the hackers need to have their 2fa or other password or some poo poo, not just thier private key.

ymgve
Jan 2, 2004

:dukedog:
Offensive Clock

ChronoBasher posted:

I keep getting into stupid arguments with people at work over "wallets".

Is it an oversimplification that really all a wallet is, is a public/private key pair?

Like I keep arguing that all the seed phrase, 2fa, and other crap wallets app do don't matter if someone gets a hold of your private key. Like sure those things are all good, but they are completely irrelevant in a key compromise because all the Blockchain gives a poo poo about is if the transaction has a valid digital signiture.

For some reason they keep thinking the hackers need to have their 2fa or other password or some poo poo, not just thier private key.

a wallet can be whatever you want it to be. it can be:
- a single public/private keypair
- a collection of public/private keypairs, each generated randomly (old bitcoin core method)
- a collection of public/private keypairs generated deterministically from a seed phrase
- referring to the software that handles these public/private keypairs
- referring to hardware dongles that handles these public/private keypairs internally
- an entry in a SQL database on a coin exchange/online wallet website

your argument with them depends on what's implied by "2fa" - a lot of wallets keep the private keys encrypted and ask for an additional password when needed, but almost all of them also tell you to write down the seed phrase, and that phrase is everything needed to recoved the private keys. a common attack vector is to install malware on someone's phone, and then just wait till the user unlocks the wallet with their password, leaving everything temporarily wide open

or it could mean that the exchange tells them to type in some authenticator code on login which is "true" 2fa, but that also means their coins are just an IOU in the exchange's servers and the 2fa is useless against the exchange itself getting hacked or rugpulled

ymgve fucked around with this message at 21:46 on Apr 29, 2022

Khorne
May 1, 2002

ChronoBasher posted:

I'm not up to date on what each individual "wallet" company/implementation is doing. Presumably there are some that provide "wallets" that aren't actually on-chain and track what you hold in their local system. If you wanted to transfer out they'd transfer out of one of the company's wallets (which then rely on a key pair as you are arguing). So in that sense, they're right, but only because crypto is so unwieldly/inefficient that most transactions and "ownership" don't happen on the actual blockchain.

The above is not necessarily "secure" though, because if the company gets compromised everyone is screwed. See: MTGOX or any other exchange that has been compromised.

Khorne fucked around with this message at 21:54 on Apr 29, 2022

Zopotantor
Feb 24, 2013

...und ist er drin dann lassen wir ihn niemals wieder raus...

Is it that time again already?

Salt Fish
Sep 11, 2003

Cybernetic Crumb

Okay just to be clear this graph says that amazon/MS/google/apple/nvidia/netflix stock's value multiplied by a factor of a trillion times over the course of 20 years.

HootTheOwl
May 13, 2012

Hootin and shootin

ChronoBasher posted:

Yes. But not really. Unless you're actually coding for chains there really isn't a meaningful distinction between "my wallet" and "The public address on the chain accessed by some manipulation of this private string."

HootTheOwl
May 13, 2012

Hootin and shootin

CaptainSarcastic
Jul 6, 2013

I gave GhosTTY a sixer so he could realize some gainz.

kw0134
Apr 19, 2003

I buy feet pics🍆

(Probation) number go up Up UP!

Vesi
Jan 12, 2005

pikachu looking at?
pity all you fools who didn't buy apple for 0.1c in 2010

Shumagorath
Jun 6, 2001

Hammerite posted:

istewart posted:

Nuclear missile test

zedprime
Jun 9, 2007

yospos
Wallets are pretty generally keystores by now. You should probably think of your wallet as "this private string" but it also explains the confusion by OPs friends because nearly everything to do with raw crypto, currency or otherwise, is trying to make keystores easy enough for people not to freeze up and misunderstand and crypto involves the weird stuff verging into off brand password managers that let you use pass phrases or are a whole off brand password manager landscape including 2 factor auth.

syntaxfunction
Oct 27, 2010

ghosTTy posted:

(USER WAS PUT ON PROBATION FOR THIS POST)

This looks like the stuff I draw when I go hard off my meds, not gonna lie.

Also on the copyright via works from AI I have a simple solution: AI are now people (or a business sure) that have the copyright. Done. Now we've solved one problem and made so many more. The Crypto Way! (TM)

ChronoBasher
Jul 2, 2007
I think I get it, and I understand it may heavily depend on the wallet implementation as to what levels of prevention are in place to reduce the likelyhood of a private key exposure. Also, specifically talking about self custody wallets.

But the point I'm trying to make is once that private key is exposed/compromised - that's it. Someone can take that and transact with it. They don't need like your phone or any other BS that the wallet app might have in play.

Taerkar
Dec 7, 2002

kind of into it, really

repiv posted:

i'm the implication that 1 BTC will be worth $100B in 2030, which when all bitcoins are mined would put its market cap at 2 quintillion dollars

What you're missing out though is in 2030 all but 0.0000001 BTC have been stolen and dumped into dead addresses or otherwise lost, so the total market cap is 10,000

Klyith
Aug 3, 2007

GBS Pledge Week

already lost two cities, not gonna be a high score game

Only registered members can see post attachments!

PhazonLink
Jul 17, 2010
zone of destiny reminds me of a nuclear chemistry thing called Island of stability.

I'm not sure if such an island exists, but I'm not a nuclear chemist

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

ymgve
Jan 2, 2004

:dukedog:
Offensive Clock
love to have exponential growth on a log scale chart

someone got told that bitcoin is a sigmoid curve and placed it the wrong way