Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Hadlock
Nov 9, 2004

I would hesitate to blow off JH over some silly legalese if you can get them to come up on the total price, seems like a really good long term bet for employment if you can settle on a fair price

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Rocko Bonaparte
Mar 12, 2002

Every day is Friday!

saintonan posted:

What does "straightforward cash back card" mean to you?
Yeah fair. I don't do much travel; we might be moving in the next year or so and scoping out an area in the meanwhile, but I'm not a frequent business traveler or anything like that at all. Perks aligned to flights, hotels, and rentals aren't particularly useful to me. I'm also trying to avoid anything that requires I remember to go activate something. Maintaining a direct deposit somewhere is also more fuss than I want to deal with. I do enough Amazon stuff to warrant a Prime membership but it's not like, say, recurring pantry stuff. And I'd ultimately like to just settle on one particular card if I can.

Medullah
Aug 14, 2003

FEAR MY SHARK ROCKET IT REALLY SUCKS AND BLOWS

Rocko Bonaparte posted:

Yeah fair. I don't do much travel; we might be moving in the next year or so and scoping out an area in the meanwhile, but I'm not a frequent business traveler or anything like that at all. Perks aligned to flights, hotels, and rentals aren't particularly useful to me. I'm also trying to avoid anything that requires I remember to go activate something. Maintaining a direct deposit somewhere is also more fuss than I want to deal with. I do enough Amazon stuff to warrant a Prime membership but it's not like, say, recurring pantry stuff. And I'd ultimately like to just settle on one particular card if I can.

You should have the Prime Visa if you shop on Amazon, 5% back on purchases there.

Shear Modulus
Jun 9, 2010

The 2% fidelity card's only hoop is that you have to deposit the money into a fidelity account. If you don't have an account with them they have a simple one without trading that's basically a checking account and then you can transfer the cash out of there

Elysium
Aug 21, 2003
It is by will alone I set my mind in motion.

Elysium posted:

I got a Chase Preferred for the bonus, hoping it would arrive by today for a large purchase, but it hasn’t come. The card is in my online account with my other cards, can I add it to apple pay or something without having the physical card?

Update: you can in fact do this. Go into your chase app and click on the card and scroll down to Digital Cards or whatever it says and it lets you add it to Apple or Google pay even though you don’t have it. Luckily the retailer took Apple Pay.

pseudanonymous
Aug 30, 2008

When you make the second entry and the debits and credits balance, and you blow them to hell.

Shear Modulus posted:

The 2% fidelity card's only hoop is that you have to deposit the money into a fidelity account. If you don't have an account with them they have a simple one without trading that's basically a checking account and then you can transfer the cash out of there

You can also use this card as a way to get yourself to save more, by investing the funds into a low expense ratio ETF or index fund.

Smythe
Oct 12, 2003

pseudanonymous posted:

You can also use this card as a way to get yourself to save more, by investing the funds into a low expense ratio ETF or index fund.

i do this with a sofi card thats 2% back if u dump it into the brokerage. i just buy spy with my peanuts every month. better than nothin i guess

pseudanonymous posted:

It depends, cards are starting to provision them ahead of time to apple pay and stuff, but you basically have to check if they did it or not. My Sapphire did that but I couldn't really use it for anything.

my amex was instantly available for apple pay and poo poo upon approval, which was also instant on the website. pretty cool

Smythe
Oct 12, 2003
as an aside i went to my credit union irl branch today for the first time and it was cool to get quarters without standing in line for 99999 years like i have to do at b of a. luxury mode. (soz not cc related...)

pseudanonymous
Aug 30, 2008

When you make the second entry and the debits and credits balance, and you blow them to hell.

Smythe posted:

my amex was instantly available for apple pay and poo poo upon approval, which was also instant on the website. pretty cool

Yeah I just got an Amex Hilton card because I have a lot of business travel coming up and so I can easily hit the spend requirement and they gave me the card number and temporary cid and expiration which is pretty nice.

Also, I need to stop looking at these credit card websites and /rchurning, doctorofcredit etc.. stuff because it's making me crazy.

Space Fish
Oct 14, 2008

The original Big Tuna.

pseudanonymous posted:

Also, I need to stop looking at these credit card websites and /rchurning, doctorofcredit etc.. stuff because it's making me crazy.

My getting rejected from a Citi Custom was a blessing in disguise - my intent was to use it for cash back on groceries, but the cents per point is much lower than sticking with my Chase Trifecta.

In other words, credit card websites have outlived their usefulness now that my current system is about as optimized as I care to make it. Claiming SUBs was fun for a while, though!

Vox Nihili
May 28, 2008

Rocko Bonaparte posted:

What's the best straightforward cashback card these days? I have had Chase Freedom for a long time but I don't think it's working as well for me with the activations. I do just about everything with it. Nerdwallet shows this Wells Fargo Active Cash card. I'm wary since I only dealt with Wells Fargo for a little under a year in the early 2000s and they were a company that seemed specifically engineered to gently caress me.

Double Cash for 2% works just fine. No fee, don't need any other accounts with them, no hoops to jump through. The gimmick where you earn half of the 2% upon payment rather than upon use doesn't really matter so long as you redeem the reward $ as a direct deposit.

Vox Nihili
May 28, 2008

Smythe posted:

as an aside i went to my credit union irl branch today for the first time and it was cool to get quarters without standing in line for 99999 years like i have to do at b of a. luxury mode. (soz not cc related...)

This reminds me of when I went into a B of A financial center a few years back to cash paper bonds. Took forever and they acted like I was some maniac that they were going out of their way to do a special favor for even though they've had a bunch of my money and business for my entire life.

I guess paper bonds are pretty rare now but drat do brick & mortar banks suck!

skipdogg
Nov 29, 2004
Resident SRT-4 Expert

Vox Nihili posted:

This reminds me of when I went into a B of A financial center a few years back to cash paper bonds. Took forever and they acted like I was some maniac that they were going out of their way to do a special favor for even though they've had a bunch of my money and business for my entire life.

I guess paper bonds are pretty rare now but drat do brick & mortar banks suck!

The redemption process for paper bonds is a giant pain in the rear end. My wife was a bank manager and cashing out paper bonds was always a multi hour affair.

pseudanonymous
Aug 30, 2008

Space Fish posted:

My getting rejected from a Citi Custom was a blessing in disguise - my intent was to use it for cash back on groceries, but the cents per point is much lower than sticking with my Chase Trifecta.

In other words, credit card websites have outlived their usefulness now that my current system is about as optimized as I care to make it. Claiming SUBs was fun for a while, though!

I think I'm going to jump through the hoops for the Alliant 2.5% cashback and then get a fidelity 2%, citi really pisses me off, I want one to use for work stuff and one to use for personal and then just put everything on them.

I had like 4 obviously fraudulent charges and Citi refunded 3 of them and then argued about the 4th, and gave me a very short deadline to print and sign some documents and claimed since the item was delivered to my house they couldn't issue a chargeback, even though it was obviously not sold to me (ebay).

Also, they'd done things like lower my credit limit without telling me and also give me a very low credit limit in general, which I find frustrating.

SamDabbers
May 26, 2003

Alliant has been good to deal with in my 13 years of experience with them. Just note that you will get 1.5% cashback on that Visa Signature until you have jumped through the checking account hoops for an entire calendar quarter AFTER getting approved for the card, which is defined as Jan-Mar, Apr-Jun, Jul-Sep, and Oct-Dec. It is NOT just 3 consecutive months. I opened my card at the end of November and just now qualified for 2.5% from the Jan-Mar quarter.

dpkg chopra
Jun 9, 2007

Fast Food Fight

Grimey Drawer
I have a Costco Citi Visa and bought a laptop at Costco a month or so ago.

Today I spilled some beer on it. I thought I'd managed to avoid any damage but some of the keys are starting to sick a bit and I presume it will only get worse as the days go by.

The laptop was fairly discounted at the time, something like 300 bucks off since they were doing a model refresh.

The card has purchase protection and covers accidental damage for the first 120 days.

Can I just go ahead and try to start a claim now? The laptop essentially works right now, the sticky keys are noticeable but mostly a nuisance.

Also, I assume I will just get my money back but does anyone know if there's any chance I can get Costco to try and replace it with an identical model? The sale was recent enough that they might still have some inventory.

Space Fish
Oct 14, 2008

The original Big Tuna.

CostCo's return policy is 90 days, try them first.

FWIW, I returned a Galaxy Tab S3 back in the day just because I didn't like the dimensions / how apps felt on it. No fuss, no muss, even got to keep the Google credit it came with.

Tiny Timbs
Sep 6, 2008

If you’re within the return period for Costco they’ll just take it back without question. This goes for any major retailer as far as I know.

“I didn’t want it anymore” is just as valid an explanation as “it doesn’t work” if you’re within that window.

dpkg chopra
Jun 9, 2007

Fast Food Fight

Grimey Drawer
That's a good point, but I was hoping to somehow get Costco to replace it? It's a fantastic laptop but the newer model which Costco offers is around $200 more than what I paid for this last-gen model.

To be clear, I'm not expecting Costco to give me a new model for the old price, but hopefully just replace it with one of the old models, assuming they have any in stock, since the switch to the new models was only a month ago.

I know this is out of scope for a purchase protection benefit or Costco's return policy, but maybe someone here has experience with a situation like this one.

Tiny Timbs
Sep 6, 2008

They will give you the money back and what you do with it is up to you. They’re not going to try to find you a replacement if they don’t carry it.

smackfu
Jun 7, 2004

Shroomie posted:

In my experience when Amex says a credit or bonus is going to take 8-12 weeks to post it's actually more like 48 hours.

It was in fact two calendar days after the Delta charge cleared before I got the credit. Not bad at all.

TITTIEKISSER69
Mar 19, 2005

SAVE THE BEES
PLANT MORE TREES
CLEAN THE SEAS
KISS TITTIESS

dpkg chopra posted:

I have a Costco Citi Visa and bought a laptop at Costco a month or so ago.

Today I spilled some beer on it. I thought I'd managed to avoid any damage but some of the keys are starting to sick a bit and I presume it will only get worse as the days go by.

The laptop was fairly discounted at the time, something like 300 bucks off since they were doing a model refresh.

The card has purchase protection and covers accidental damage for the first 120 days.

Can I just go ahead and try to start a claim now? The laptop essentially works right now, the sticky keys are noticeable but mostly a nuisance.

Also, I assume I will just get my money back but does anyone know if there's any chance I can get Costco to try and replace it with an identical model? The sale was recent enough that they might still have some inventory.

It's under warranty, see if the manufacturer will replace the keyboard.

Girbot
Jan 13, 2009
I wouldn't risk just a keyboard swap if it's possible to get a completely clean machine.

Get it replaced and then binge Louis Rossmann videos on youtube to shame yourself into not drinking on top of your laptop again. ;)

LeeMajors
Jan 20, 2005

I've gotta stop fantasizing about Lee Majors...
Ah, one more!

After ripping through the intro spend and finding out Costco doesn’t accept Amex (:rolleyes:) I went ahead and applied for a Costco citi card for gas and Costco purchases.

I haven’t personally filled a cc app in like 20yrs (my wife was primary applicant on Amex with me as authorized user) and we just flipped it on this one.

Being the genius I am, I put my personal income on app instead of household (because it wasn’t super clear) so even with 800+ credit score they only approved 7200$ limit.

Not that we will come anywhere close to that but credit utilization affects credit scores overall yeah? Should I call once I get the card and have it raised?

Girbot
Jan 13, 2009
If you want number to go up, sure vOv?

You're already getting the best rates on things like loans, insurance, and mortgages with the score you have. And it sounds like you don't apply for much. So the question I have is, why does your score matter to you beyond this point? Or are you planning on opening more in the future? Utilization doesn't have memory, alternatively you can just pay down your credit cards PRIOR to the statement closing date in the weeks before needing your credit score to be as shiny as possible.

They'll increase your limit over time without you needing to ask.

LeeMajors
Jan 20, 2005

Ah, one more!

Girbot posted:

If you want number to go up, sure vOv?

You're already getting the best rates on things like loans, insurance, and mortgages with the score you have. And it sounds like you don't apply for much. So the question I have is, why does your score matter to you beyond this point? Or are you planning on opening more in the future? Utilization doesn't have memory, alternatively you can just pay down your credit cards PRIOR to the statement closing date in the weeks before needing your credit score to be as shiny as possible.

They'll increase your limit over time without you needing to ask.

Yeah that’s a fair point and honestly this won’t be for much more than prob ~500/mo on groceries and gas that’ll be paid off each month.

I just wasn’t sure if it was a concern for taking a hit to credit score long term. Thanks.

CubicalSucrose
Jan 1, 2013

Phantom my Opera and call me South Park: Bigger, Longer, & Uncut
The more relevant thing is likely your AAoA dropping, but even that shouldn't matter per above.

drainpipe
May 17, 2004

AAHHHHHHH!!!!
Not sure if this is the right thread for this, but does anyone have experience using Avios points to book flights on American? I'm looking for a new card, and Chase has a 100K bonus for their BA card. I'm not much of a traveller, but I do fly between Texas and the northeast once a year to visit family, and it looks like I could use the points to book flights on American for this. I was just wondering if there might be a significant hidden cost, not much availability, or some other kind of gotcha for using Avios points this way.

asur
Dec 28, 2012

drainpipe posted:

Not sure if this is the right thread for this, but does anyone have experience using Avios points to book flights on American? I'm looking for a new card, and Chase has a 100K bonus for their BA card. I'm not much of a traveller, but I do fly between Texas and the northeast once a year to visit family, and it looks like I could use the points to book flights on American for this. I was just wondering if there might be a significant hidden cost, not much availability, or some other kind of gotcha for using Avios points this way.

The general gotchas for award space apply and US airlines tend to be stingy releasing space. Also this is standard, but in case you don't know, you need to specifically find saver space on AA. Since this is commonly confused this does NOT mean any flight bookable with points via AA.

The other thing is that BA prices by segment and has a distance based award chart. If the flight isn't direct the pricing would likely be significantly worse than AA and the best deals are on the edges of the distance thresholds.

drainpipe
May 17, 2004

AAHHHHHHH!!!!

asur posted:

Also this is standard, but in case you don't know, you need to specifically find saver space on AA. Since this is commonly confused this does NOT mean any flight bookable with points via AA.

Ah, I did not know that! That definitely makes it a lot less attractive as an option. Thanks!

Vox Nihili
May 28, 2008

LeeMajors posted:

After ripping through the intro spend and finding out Costco doesn’t accept Amex (:rolleyes:) I went ahead and applied for a Costco citi card for gas and Costco purchases.

I haven’t personally filled a cc app in like 20yrs (my wife was primary applicant on Amex with me as authorized user) and we just flipped it on this one.

Being the genius I am, I put my personal income on app instead of household (because it wasn’t super clear) so even with 800+ credit score they only approved 7200$ limit.

Not that we will come anywhere close to that but credit utilization affects credit scores overall yeah? Should I call once I get the card and have it raised?

You'll have opportunities to request an increased credit limit. I would probably wait six months or so and then put through a request.

$7,200 is fine for most purposes anyway and will still be a net plus for your credit score.

Hadlock
Nov 9, 2004

Vox Nihili posted:

$7,200 is fine for most purposes anyway

:lol::lol:

LeeMajors
Jan 20, 2005

Ah, one more!

Thanks all yeah 7200$ won’t be nearly reached with just gas and Costco groceries. Mostly I’m pissed at myself for underreporting household income by like 65% and reporting full mortgage payment because I assume it would ask cardholder income separately. Anyway I’m not going to sweat it I just didn’t want to miss out on credit benefit from carrying a higher limit. It’ll be paid monthly anyway so it’s pretty irrelevant for now.

Girbot
Jan 13, 2009
There is a rare silver-lining.

I've been denied new cards because my total credit:income was too high. So getting a limit beyond what's needed for purchases and utilization on an individual card can be detrimental.

dpkg chopra
Jun 9, 2007

Fast Food Fight

Grimey Drawer
Things I learned today. The Costco card is 4% back on gas from any brand, not just Costco. D'oh.

Girbot
Jan 13, 2009

dpkg chopra posted:

Things I learned today. The Costco card is 4% back on gas from any brand, not just Costco. D'oh.

Except other grocery or wholesale stores. (e.g Safeway, Krogers)

Current best gas card I believe is the Abound Credit Union (Formerly Fort Knox)
https://www.aboundcu.com/Spend-Save/Personal-Accounts/Credit-Cards/Cash-Back-VISA-Card

Shroomie
Jul 31, 2008

Girbot posted:

There is a rare silver-lining.

I've been denied new cards because my total credit:income was too high. So getting a limit beyond what's needed for purchases and utilization on an individual card can be detrimental.

This usually only happens with multiple cards from the same bank (Chase is notorious for limiting you to 50% of your income), but they can usually adjust existing limits to make room for a new card if you call recon.

Vox Nihili
May 28, 2008

Sorry, I should say $7,200 is plenty for most purposes for 95% of people. Sometimes I forget how special some of us are.

Shear Modulus
Jun 9, 2010

Listen when i buy this month's car i don't want to have to split it between two credit cards

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Hadlock
Nov 9, 2004

Shear Modulus posted:

Listen when i buy this month's car i don't want to have to split it between two credit cards

basically, yeah

whats the headline they update annually? oh yeah, "Just 39% of Americans could pay for a $1,000 emergency expense"

$10k is like a week in a hotel, a round trip ticket to a funeral, a month's worth of groceries and replacing your busted-rear end 18 year old car that decided to shoot a piston through the side of the crank case on the highway, with another car of equal or lesser quality