Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Tighclops
Jan 23, 2008

Unable to deal with it

Grimey Drawer
It's not like there isn't stuff to criticize in the show, like the Rob Lowe rapist episode for example. Then again I don't think MacFarlane has an agenda beyond making a good Star Trek styled space opera, I thought the courtroom legal drama and dolly parton nebula assault eps were excellent.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

mediaphage
Mar 22, 2007

Excuse me, pardon me, sheer perfection coming through
i generally like the show minus the cheap sets, i just didn't care for the moclans or especially the baby episode. i think the best you could say is that it was heavy handed.

anyway, i'll still watch the new season if they ever manage to get it out the door

CainFortea
Oct 15, 2004

I'm so confused how someone can watch the baby episode and come away with anything other than "The moclan culture is really lovely about this and these people are not to be thought of in a positive light."

Khanstant
Apr 5, 2007
i don't care for klingons either, their culture sucks, you gotta figure out how to coexist with it, make it better if you can, same for moclans, same for gun owners

Automatic Slim
Jul 1, 2007

Will this be a solid show or another Lucy and the football? This opening is great. Voyager derived but better.

Pondex posted:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=XL4iCAB6MFo

Did they bring in Joss Whedon to punch up the dialog or something? It's a bit quippy IMO.

Ah, man.

Eighties ZomCom
Sep 10, 2008

Lol PIC is godawful, just saw the latest episode and absolutely hated it. Will watch the finale to see just how much of a wet fart it will end on but I don't think I'll be watching season 3 unless it's about Picard hanging out with the TNG crew while touring the galaxy with his new love interest played by Ian McKellen.

mediaphage
Mar 22, 2007

Eighties ZomCom posted:

Lol PIC is godawful, just saw the latest episode and absolutely hated it. Will watch the finale to see just how much of a wet fart it will end on but I don't think I'll be watching season 3 unless it's about Picard hanging out with the TNG crew while touring the galaxy with his new love interest played by Ian McKellen.

Lord of Pie
Mar 2, 2007

Drone posted:

I'm a couple episodes behind on PIC and not in any hurry to catch up.

So did the writers just completely forget Picard's older brother existed, or

I think they said somewhere that Robert was away at school or something but you'd think your mom hanging herself is the sort of thing they'd let you out for

infernal machines
Oct 11, 2012

we monitor many frequencies. we listen always. came a voice, out of the babel of tongues, speaking to us. it played us a mighty dub.

Automatic Slim posted:

Will this be a solid show or another Lucy and the football?

C'mon Charlie Brown, go for it.

External Organs
Mar 3, 2006

One time i prank called a bear buildin workshop and said I wanted my mamaws ashes put in a teddy from where she loved them things so well... The woman on the phone did not skip a beat. She just said, "Brang her on down here. We've did it before."

Lord of Pie posted:

I think they said somewhere that Robert was away at school or something but you'd think your mom hanging herself is the sort of thing they'd let you out for

He did a study abroad program at a Dominion prison camp

John Murdoch
May 19, 2009

I can tune a fish.

External Organs posted:

He did a study abroad program at a Dominion prison camp

A truly miserable experience; it was far too comfortable for him.

infernal machines
Oct 11, 2012

we monitor many frequencies. we listen always. came a voice, out of the babel of tongues, speaking to us. it played us a mighty dub.
I'm going to make a bold prediction.

The current lineup of live action Star Trek writers/producers have not changed their spots. The main themes of Strange New Worlds will be family, faith, and characters enduring personal trauma. They will front-load the season with a few quasi-episodic plots hinting at a larger narrative, before reverting to a season long overarching plot. The overarching plot will coincidentally feature a bunch of similarities to the other live action shows that were in production at the time.

Reviewers will see the first three episodes and declare that Star Trek as you knew it is back.

Endless Trash
Aug 12, 2007

infernal machines posted:

The current lineup of live action Star Trek writers/producers have not changed their spots. The main themes of Strange New Worlds will be family, faith, and characters enduring personal trauma. They will front-load the season with a few quasi-episodic plots hinting at a larger narrative, before reverting to a season long overarching plot. The overarching plot will coincidentally feature a bunch of similarities to the other live action shows that were in production at the time.

Reviewers will see the first three episodes and declare that Star Trek as you knew it is back.

Even better! since Pike knows he’s gonna get horribly scarred in the future he has PRE-traumatic stress disorder. Think of the possibilities!

Tighclops
Jan 23, 2008

Unable to deal with it

Grimey Drawer

Lmao. Lol. This is exactly what is going to happen.

mediaphage
Mar 22, 2007

ahahah dead to rights

Endless Trash posted:

Even better! since Pike knows he’s gonna get horribly scarred in the future he has PRE-traumatic stress disorder. Think of the possibilities!

they do seem to have a hard-on for making sure that happens. gonna be a downer for the series finale to go out on lol

infernal machines
Oct 11, 2012

Endless Trash posted:

We can regularly have the captain troubled by the potential for changing the timeline too. It'll be like an entire season of City on the Edge of Forever. People loved that episode!

Tighclops posted:

mediaphage posted:

ahahah dead to rights

I hope I'm wrong, I'd really like to enjoy a new Star Trek show.

infernal machines fucked around with this message at 23:19 on Apr 29, 2022

CaptainSkinny
Apr 22, 2011

You get it?
No.

infernal machines
Oct 11, 2012

lmao

Epicurius
Apr 10, 2010
College Slice

Tighclops posted:

I'm sorry you're going to dislike it.

infernal machines
Oct 11, 2012

Dabir posted:

All that stuff with the ship CGI turning on rubs me the wrong way. Back in the day that part of the intro would be sweeping space shots, you know, getting you ready for where the ship's going to be going. It's a really minor thing but it gives off a vibe of turning inwards and wanking off over how cool the Enterprise is.

I think it reflects the change in the franchise's focus from the adventures the crew go on to the characters themselves. The shows are about the characters now more so than the things the characters do, which I think is why I've not really been engaged with the newer shows.

Mulaney Power Move
Dec 30, 2004

character driven is fine if your characters aren't written like a bunch of assholes

Automatic Slim
Jul 1, 2007

Mulaney Power Move posted:

character driven is fine if your characters aren't written like a bunch of assholes

:hmmyes:

Zesty
Jan 17, 2012

The Great Twist

Drone posted:

tbf I guess the answer is probably less that they forgot he existed and more that they didn't know in the first place

They had a throwaway line. But it's absolutely the latter still.

Tighclops
Jan 23, 2008

Unable to deal with it

Grimey Drawer

I hope I'm wrong, I'd really like to enjoy a new Star Trek show.

me too but honestly the way in which it sucks now matches the world so perfectly its like I'm deriving some sick satisfaction from the hosed symmetry of it

like every new development just leaves me nodding and going "of course, of course" because of course

CaptainSkinny
Apr 22, 2011

You get it?
No.

Zesty posted:

They had a throwaway line. But it's absolutely the latter still.

I would imagine they added that line in post after some intern finally got heard. Kind of like what happens to the sleeve ranks on the o.g. uniforms in Disco.

Mulaney Power Move
Dec 30, 2004

i cant believe i have never seen the full length faith of the heart music video: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=M6bumUQwQIU

within the first minute there is footage of a german ww1 fighter plane, nazi v2 rockets, and actual nazis smoking at the launch site. the challenger shuttle explosion is in this.

Gatts
Jan 2, 2001

Goodnight Moon

Nap Ghost

Beverly rocks. Weakest Doctor but Gates rules

Ghostfucker

PostNouveau
Sep 3, 2011

VY till I die
Grimey Drawer
Gonna call the end of Strange New Worlds before it even starts:

They will get Pike out of that chair. I don't know how his injuries are described, but if they're described as permanent, someone will magic/technobabble that away

Endless Trash
Aug 12, 2007

PostNouveau posted:

They will get Pike out of that chair. I don't know how his injuries are described, but if they're described as permanent, someone will magic/technobabble that away

Pike’s storyline was resolved in 1966

Mulaney Power Move
Dec 30, 2004

PostNouveau posted:

So it ends in the events of TOS "The Menagerie" and it's a two part flashback episode.

e: beaten

Powered Descent
Jul 13, 2008

We haven't had that spirit here since 1969.

Mulaney Power Move posted:

i cant believe i have never seen the full length faith of the heart music video: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=M6bumUQwQIU

within the first minute there is footage of a german ww1 fighter plane, nazi v2 rockets, and actual nazis smoking at the launch site. the challenger shuttle explosion is in this.

How amazing, the music video for a song from 1998 contains footage filmed in an ISS module that was launched in 2010.

This is just something thrown together by some youtube rear end in a top hat in 2015 who probably thought he was being all edgy by including Nazi poo poo.

PostNouveau
Sep 3, 2011

VY till I die
Grimey Drawer

Endless Trash posted:

Pike’s storyline was resolved in 1966

Does he die? I thought he was just very injured

Endless Trash
Aug 12, 2007

PostNouveau posted:

Spock hijacks the Enterprise and returns Pike to Talos to live happily ever after

Epicurius
Apr 10, 2010
College Slice

PostNouveau posted:

The Menagerie is a two part TOS episode that's wrapped around the original pilot. Spock basically commits mutiny to get Pike, who, having been horribly injured in a shipboard accident where a piece of equipment exploded, leaving him badly scared, mostly paralyzed, and only able to say yes or no with the help of his wheelchair. Spock grabs Pike to take him to Talos IV, which is the only crime that starfleet still has the death penalty for. Over the course of the trip, Spock is courtmartialed for mutiny, and Kirk,, along with the rest of us, watch the original pilot, the Cage.

What we learn is, the Enterprise, commanded by Pike (played by Jeffery Hunter), had answered a distress call coming from Talos IV, where a ship had crashed, so they go to try to find survivors. When they get there, they find the survivors, including this young woman named Vina. Long story short, most of what they see on Talos IV is an illusion, and the native Talosians, who are powerful telepaths, kidnap Pike, and basically tell him that he's being kept there as a zoo animal, to breed. There had been an actual crash on there, eighteen years ago, but the only survivor was Vina, and the beautiful Vina we wee is an illusion. Eventually, with the help of Spock, Number One, Dr. Boyce, and the other members of the landing team, Pike manages to get out, where he confronts the aliens, who realize that people don't like being held in captivity. They leave and Talos IV is made off limits.

It turns out the whole plan to get Pike back to Talos was the work of the Talosians, who are still grateful to him for the previous encounter. They learned that he had been incapacitated, and, as the Talosians explain to Kirk, want to give Pike his life back, to try to make up for their actions earlier by giving him the illusion of normality. The last thing Kirk sees on the planet is a healthy Captain Pike running into the arms of a young Vina, and the two of them running off, holding hands.

infernal machines
Oct 11, 2012

I can't believe you just spoiled an entire series of Star Trek that hasn't even aired yet. Not only for the fans, but for the writers

How are they going to write themselves out of this one?

Brawnfire
Jul 13, 2004

🎧Listen to Cylindricule!🎵
https://linktr.ee/Cylindricule

Epicurius posted:

a piece of equipment exploded, leaving him badly scared, mostly paralyzed, and only able to say yes or no with the help of his wheelchair.

That's a hell of a scare!

PostNouveau
Sep 3, 2011

VY till I die
Grimey Drawer

I can't believe you just spoiled an entire series of Star Trek that hasn't even aired yet. Not only for the fans, but for the writers

How are they going to write themselves out of this one?

Yeah very rude. Y'all expect me to have suffered through a TOS two-parter? All I knew was horrifically injured guy can only talk in beeps!

Why the gently caress was Disco giving him flash forwards to a horrible future if he's got a happy ending anyway? Ah yes, trauma.

Mulaney Power Move
Dec 30, 2004

Powered Descent posted:

How amazing, the music video for a song from 1998 contains footage filmed in an ISS module that was launched in 2010.

This is just something thrown together by some youtube rear end in a top hat in 2015 who probably thought he was being all edgy by including Nazi poo poo.

no this is the official music video from now on no matter what you say

davidspackage
May 16, 2007

Nap Ghost

PostNouveau posted:

Why the gently caress was Disco giving him flash forwards to a horrible future if he's got a happy ending anyway? Ah yes, trauma.

To be fair, it was one of the best scenes Discovery ever managed.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Automatic Slim
Jul 1, 2007

PostNouveau posted:

Why the gently caress was Disco...
You’re life will be so more rewarding when you stop asking questions starting with these words.