Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Galaga Galaxian
Apr 23, 2009

What a childish tactic!
Don't you think you should put more thought into your battleplan?!

Hogama posted:

Which was even more convoluted because frequently you wouldn't even know you'd started and were part of an Echo scene until you finally left it.

One hint in many of them was that a specific song would be playing, appropriately titled The Echo.

https://youtu.be/qyJdmjqMBLY

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

boloney
May 29, 2021

Martman posted:

Blitz's cooldown (per charge) is 40s and RoF's is 60s, so you have to hold Blitz for use with your RoF. Or am I missing something?

Sorry, I'm getting mixed up between the act of using the blitz and the act of using Perfect Balance. Yes you have to briefly hold every third PB so you can use it under RoF. The other two you can use whenever

Martman
Nov 20, 2006

Er yeah, I meant Perfect Balance. Honestly the naming scheme and extra stuff, Perfect Balance + Masterful Blitz (3 types) + Lunar/Solar Nadi looks extremely confusing at first for what's actually going on.

Rogue AI Goddess
May 10, 2012

I enjoy the sight of humans on their knees.
That was a joke... unless..?

cheetah7071 posted:

the chrysalis phase of Ascians (Ultimate), coming 2025, is going to be loving lit though
Until today, I never knew that TEA Except It's All the Ascians You've Ever Faced is something that I needed in my life, but now I do.

boloney
May 29, 2021

Rogue AI Goddess posted:

Until today, I never knew that TEA Except It's All the Ascians You've Ever Faced is something that I needed in my life, but now I do.

Hades Ex has this, kinda

Vermain
Sep 5, 2006

Hogama posted:

The Cid's goggles scene might be simply intended as more of a messy symbolic metaphor, with the WoL helping Cid get his identity back, but it's muddled by the Echo being a thing and a weirder thing in 1.0 at that.

I think it and the whole "suppressed memories of the Warriors of Light" thing that gets brought up at the start of ARR was, much like the original plan behind the Ascians, a plot thread that got dropped when they eventually thought up a better direction over the post-ARR patch cycle.

Allarion
May 16, 2009

がんばルビ!
I'm sure there's some what-if you could get about Elidibus managing to reunite everyone. Alternately, you get a cool what-if scenario of Azem's grand throwdown just so we can get Venat and
Hythlodaeus involved too.

Also there's good fun potential with Endsinger too, just cause you could have revenge of Twisters: Part 3 just cause there's literally dragons in the leadup to her. Actually a valid spot for Omega and Shinryu too, in hindsight, cause they're both represented.

Impermanent
Apr 1, 2010

cheetah7071 posted:

The best collection of ffxiv gameplay advice is the balance discord:

https://discord.gg/thebalanceffxiv

they have a website too but idk how complete it is

addendum to this advice: do not read any chats or talk to anyone in this discord. Go to the resources pages, read the resources, and leave.

Arist
Feb 13, 2012

who, me?

Impermanent posted:

addendum to this advice: do not read any chats or talk to anyone in this discord. Go to the resources pages, read the resources, and leave.

One time I asked people in The Balance a question about melding DH over Crit on a specific piece of gear that was running out of space for Crit and I used the word "tiers" in reference to DH breakpoints and people got really snippy in a way I still don't understand.

ZenMasterBullshit
Nov 2, 2011

Restaurant de Nouvelles "À Table" Proudly Presents:
A Climactic Encounter Ending on 1 Negate and a Dream
I still want 4 Lords ultimate with added Tenzen and Koryu phases.

Martman
Nov 20, 2006

In my experience The Balance is generally full of 1) terrible assholes and/or 2) people who will spend 50 hours practicing (or just theorycrafting) a special opener that theoretically can result in a .1% dps gain while never learning to work their normal rotation into basic mechanics, and die to greed constantly

Chomposaur
Feb 28, 2010

I've just started using icy veins or whatever pops up on a Google search, they mostly just pull it straight from the discord and it's easier than digging through a word doc to find a bis list or an opener rq, if it's outdated gently caress it

Also shadowbringers ultimate must include everyone 1v1s themselves as a light warden and endwalker ultimate must include fighting abomination versions of all the city leaders in their cities

Impermanent
Apr 1, 2010

Martman posted:

In my experience The Balance is generally full of 1) terrible assholes and/or 2) people who will spend 50 hours practicing (or just theorycrafting) a special opener that theoretically can result in a .1% dps gain while never learning to work their normal rotation into basic mechanics, and die to greed constantly

parser brain killed the ninja and casual brain killed the summoner. we can only fear what will happen to the dragoon

troofs
Feb 28, 2011

The better Manning.
The icy veins monk guide is pretty good but don't go nuts looking at all the wild rotations they offer, just practice the ones that are applicable in 99% of gameplay and you can get through most things without worrying about it.

You only need to worry about weird openers or special rotations if you're actively chasing high parses or if there's a boss with some weird jump timings, which can usually be solved by holding CDs and using something like six sided star anyway.

Onean
Feb 11, 2010

Maiden in white...
You are not one of us.

Vermain posted:

I think it and the whole "suppressed memories of the Warriors of Light" thing that gets brought up at the start of ARR was, much like the original plan behind the Ascians, a plot thread that got dropped when they eventually thought up a better direction over the post-ARR patch cycle.

The suppressed memories of the WoL's are addressed by the cutscene after Praetorium if you're playing a Legacy character: All of the people there will remember that you were one of those WoL's.
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=qJrgJatG4aQ&t=1556s

Chomposaur posted:

Also shadowbringers ultimate must include everyone 1v1s themselves as a light warden

Oh, poo poo. Even if it isn't 1v1, this is absolutely happening, isn't it? Maybe it's a sin eater Ardbert that somehow took the Light so we wouldn't die?

The Black Stones
May 7, 2007

I POSTED WHAT NOW!?
I was 1 win away from Platinum and got into a huge losing streak and fell to Gold 4. My parties just weren’t great and I felt like I wasn’t doing as much as I could. I switched from Bard to Black Mage but hated it, felt to complicated and so I switched to Summoner as I like it for Frontlines and it’s fairly easy. Wow do I like it for solo. Rode a win streak all the way to Platinum. I love the Crowd Control is has, it can fire off LB’s like crazy that help turn the tide, and I love the AoE jump move. My friends are fighting a clustered group? Jump and heavy smash, run away and hit them with the proc. Huge damage all around. I managed to use the stun to kill someone in the bombs and it felt good. I think Summoner really suits my play style for PvP.

MechaX
Nov 19, 2011

"Let's be positive! Let's start a fire!"
Oh right, I wonder how Dragonsong Ultimate is going;

(Spoilers for... well... this ultimate and a lot of story across multiple expansions)

https://twitter.com/FFsfia/status/1520174591116976128
https://twitter.com/ChaosEater999/status/1520182363703156737/photo/1

... oh no

MechaX fucked around with this message at 00:47 on Apr 30, 2022

Zeruel
Mar 27, 2010

Alert: bad post spotted.
one life to save immeasurable numbers

Thundarr
Dec 24, 2002

MechaX posted:

(Spoilers for... well... this ultimate and a lot of story across multiple expansions)

https://twitter.com/FFsfia/status/1520174591116976128
https://twitter.com/ChaosEater999/status/1520182363703156737/photo/1

... oh no

Life sure is Strange.

Mordiceius
Nov 10, 2007

If you think calling me names is gonna get a rise out me, think again. I like my life as an idiot!
Fun fact - spoiler tagging tweets doesn’t work if people are using the mobile app!

Thundarr
Dec 24, 2002

Mordiceius posted:

Fun fact - spoiler tagging tweets doesn’t work if people are using the mobile app!

It does actually. They don't show up for me in the Awful app!

Mordiceius
Nov 10, 2007

If you think calling me names is gonna get a rise out me, think again. I like my life as an idiot!

Thundarr posted:

It does actually. They don't show up for me in the Awful app!

Hrm. Must be something funky going on. I’m using the awful app too and they’re not hidden.

Thundarr
Dec 24, 2002

Mordiceius posted:

Hrm. Must be something funky going on. I’m using the awful app too and they’re not hidden.

You can disable Tweet embedding in the app settings. I think if that is turned off, spoiler tags will hide Tweets correctly.

Mordiceius
Nov 10, 2007

Hrm. Interesting. Thanks for the info. Sorry for the disruption.

Hogama
Sep 3, 2011

MechaX posted:

... oh no
I'd argue at least for one of those that Varis turning to Black Rose was a direct consequence of the Empire starting its expansionistic decline thanks to the renewed rebellions sparked by losing Ala Mhigo and Doma. If the assumption is that there's no liberation, this desperation tactic might also not go forward. But even if it does, the only reason it was a Calamity-level devastation was because it was tied to the First's rejoining - and in that alternate timeline, life still manages to go on, and Zodiark's barrier still holds. So the final result would be more like "kicking the Endwalker scenario can down to another era." Which... isn't really more desirable, but this whole counterfactual is presented to us by the Wandering Minstrel's imagination to give us fiercer fights in the first place, it's not like the only canonical path to Haurchefant surviving.

Macaluso
Sep 23, 2005

I HATE THAT HEDGEHOG, BROTHER!
God I love Sharlayan. So much. It's so relaxing!!!

Warmachine
Jan 30, 2012

Hogama posted:

I'd argue at least for one of those that Varis turning to Black Rose was a direct consequence of the Empire starting its expansionistic decline thanks to the renewed rebellions sparked by losing Ala Mhigo and Doma. If the assumption is that there's no liberation, this desperation tactic might also not go forward. But even if it does, the only reason it was a Calamity-level devastation was because it was tied to the First's rejoining - and in that alternate timeline, life still manages to go on, and Zodiark's barrier still holds. So the final result would be more like "kicking the Endwalker scenario can down to another era." Which... isn't really more desirable, but this whole counterfactual is presented to us by the Wandering Minstrel's imagination to give us fiercer fights in the first place, it's not like the only canonical path to Haurchefant surviving.

Remember though that so long as the First was unbalanced toward light, then Black Rose was always on the table as the catalyst for the rejoining. Emet-Selch explicitly states the Garlean Empire's reason for existence--to trigger rejoinings. Varis was a puppet under orders of Selch to use Black Rose. He was dragging his feet because he had other ideas, but at the end of the day if he didn't do what Emet-Selch wanted the Ascians would find a new puppet. The 8th Umbral Calamity would happen on schedule unless someone intervened in the First.

If Ilberd didn't provide a cause, Emet-Selch would cook up another to provide Varis with sufficient motivation. Hell, maybe he'd even start the Ala Mhigan and Doman rebellions by himself! There's a scenario!

Macaluso posted:

God I love Sharlayan. So much. It's so relaxing!!!

It's full of smug nerds and I want to give each and every one of them wedgies.

MechaX
Nov 19, 2011

Hogama posted:

I know this is all essentially Minstrel fanfiction, but I'm curious on whether Thordan fully assumed his First-juiced Calamity role like what the Ascians originally intended in this scenario. It could be that WoL manages to stop him pretty quickly like how Bahamut was stopped within 5 minutes, but it was still a full-blown Calamity that absorbed a Shard. In that scenario, I could imagine the Ascians being like "well, it's cool that we squeezed in two rejoinings in 5 years, but we don't have another shard tipped yet, time to peace out a bit to get that ready" and kind of just.. leaves Garlemald to its fate for the most part.

Orcs and Ostriches
Aug 26, 2010

The Great Twist

Warmachine posted:

Remember though that so long as the First was unbalanced toward light, then Black Rose was always on the table as the catalyst for the rejoining. Emet-Selch explicitly states the Garlean Empire's reason for existence--to trigger rejoinings. Varis was a puppet under orders of Selch to use Black Rose. He was dragging his feet because he had other ideas, but at the end of the day if he didn't do what Emet-Selch wanted the Ascians would find a new puppet. The 8th Umbral Calamity would happen on schedule unless someone intervened in the First.

If Ilberd didn't provide a cause, Emet-Selch would cook up another to provide Varis with sufficient motivation. Hell, maybe he'd even start the Ala Mhigan and Doman rebellions by himself! There's a scenario!

It's full of smug nerds and I want to give each and every one of them wedgies.

Thordan himself gaining power, and Alexander, were both primed to be light calamities as well. If Thordan wasn't stopped at Azyz Lla, that would have been enough anyways.

MechaX
Nov 19, 2011

Orcs and Ostriches posted:

Thordan himself gaining power, and Alexander, were both primed to be light calamities as well. If Thordan wasn't stopped at Azyz Lla, that would have been enough anyways.

Thordan was definitely the initial plan for the First-fueled Calamity, but I didn't know Alexander was also a candidate

Corbeau
Sep 13, 2010

Jack of All Trades
Finally got diamond with BRD. Don't think I'll climb higher, but I've been saying that since getting gold.

The game definitely feels different based on rank. Once you get into mid plat you can see a stark difference when you get matched up with diamonds versus being matched down with golds. The higher ranks still sometimes make tunnel vision mistakes like initiating a fight while down in players with no compensating advantage, but they're much rarer and people do a better job of sticking together, picking vulnerable targets, and focusing them down. If you're at full health but no mana then you're usually fine in gold, but diamond players just (correctly) see red and come to collect their free kill. Chug that pot!

Composition-based decision-making also improves on average. Had a DRK tank earlier today who used incredibly aggressive fight initiation against a WAR team to deal with the pick potential of warrior's pull. It worked, not least because our team actually followed up to capitalize. Usually there's a dance just outside of range that a warrior can use to get a pick, but that doesn't apply if there's no footsies at all because your entire team is going ham with no off button. Very cool to see the "underdog" class win out due to smart play.

Orcs and Ostriches
Aug 26, 2010

The Great Twist

MechaX posted:

Thordan was definitely the initial plan for the First-fueled Calamity, but I didn't know Alexander was also a candidate

To be fair it's a bit of conjecture on my part, but there's Ascian involvement and a lot of his stuff is holy-themed.

Dr Pepper
Feb 4, 2012

Don't like it? well...

It makes sense.

Both Thordan and Alexander are Light aspected and thus both involve imposing order and stasis upon the world.

Lord_Magmar
Feb 24, 2015

"Welcome to pound town, Slifer slacker!"

Rogue AI Goddess posted:

boloney posted:

Hades Ex has this, kinda

Hades Ultimate would just be this but even more so. Every Ascian, including the ones we never fought, in an ultimate that also includes Lahabrea, Elidibus and Hades himself.

Thundarr
Dec 24, 2002

Dr Pepper posted:

It makes sense.

Both Thordan and Alexander are Light aspected and thus both involve imposing order and stasis upon the world.

The real question is what would have happened if Thordan had won, since the Alexander summoning was already set in motion before Azys Lla. I can only assume two subsequent Calamities of Light would have given Emet an enormous headache.

Lord_Magmar
Feb 24, 2015

"Welcome to pound town, Slifer slacker!"

Thundarr posted:

The real question is what would have happened if Thordan had won, since the Alexander summoning was already set in motion before Azys Lla. I can only assume two subsequent Calamities of Light would have given Emet an enormous headache.

I'm pretty sure Elidibus would've empowered heroes to stop Alexander. That's pretty much implied to be his function, keeping calamities from happening until they're meant to. Emet-Selch sets up the scenario, Lahabrea provides the catalyst, Elidibus manages the timing.

MechaX
Nov 19, 2011

Thundarr posted:

I wouldn't be surprised if that was one of the scenarios Alexander alluded to having to deal with; assuming Thordan won, Alexander steps in, Emet has no other Shard on deck for Alexander, or somehow the First's aether gets absorbed equally into Thordan and Alexander, Alexander somehow beats Thordan, Hydaelyn still gets drained as a result

limp dick calvin
Sep 1, 2006

Strepitoso. Vedete? Una meraviglia.
The little bits and pieces I've heard from the new ultimate make me wanna get gud so I can see it for myself.

Sanguinia
Jan 1, 2012

~Everybody wants to be a cat~
~Because a cat's the only cat~
~Who knows where its at~

Heavensward LP tackles the thorny issue of parenting, and also the manufacture of artificial slave races. Plus FASHION SHOW!

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Electric Phantasm
Apr 7, 2011

YOSPOS

Okay the conclusion to the Kobold beast tribe questline is pretty funny. The one guy rocket punching the 13th order guy into the exploding mine is incredible.

And hey they cap out at trusted which is a lot better than I was expecting from ARR tribes.