Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Finger Prince

I caved and bought elden ring. Either I don't understand or I'm bad it it and likely both but I have no idea how I'm supposed to beat stuff. I guess I gotta grind skellies and guards to get some levels before I can survive wolves? I started as a bandit because that seemed cool. I guess like people say ah well if you can't beat something just go back later, but this is like a cave right by the first area. Stay out of caves for now is the lesson I guess! Beautiful game though.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Jolo

ive been playing with magnuts tying to change the wold as we know it

Sarah Cenia posted:

ace combat 5 on ps2 is one of my favorite games of all time. isn't 6 the one where you can, like, handbrake turn in a fighter jet?

"war is bad but planes are rad" should be the series' tagline

It should! I can't take credit for the phrase, I've seen it here probably in the Ace Combat thread and it's spot on.

The high G turn is definitely in AC6 and 7. AC7 also has a move where your plane does basically a backflip to quickly lose speed without changing direction. I think it's called a post stall maneuver and only a few planes can do it.

AC6 does have a cheesy story but I've always appreciated that the series focuses on how war is affecting everyday people and armed forces on both sides of a conflict. It's kind of impossible to play this game right now without thinking of events in the world right now where a lot of people in each country probably just wish everything went back to normal.

Heather Papps

hello friend

Finger Prince posted:

I caved and bought elden ring. Either I don't understand or I'm bad it it and likely both but I have no idea how I'm supposed to beat stuff. I guess I gotta grind skellies and guards to get some levels before I can survive wolves? I started as a bandit because that seemed cool. I guess like people say ah well if you can't beat something just go back later, but this is like a cave right by the first area. Stay out of caves for now is the lesson I guess! Beautiful game though.

as a person who never played from software games before the biggest tip i can give is groups of enemies will kill you all the time no matter what, positioning/placement/environmental awareness or whatever you want to call it is mega important. i am confident you'll find the groove, and when you do this game is very satisfying.

also get golden seeds and tears and upgrade your flask asap, and also set it to the item wheel sort of thing, not your scrolling list of items because this way you'll never use them by accident and also you won't have to scroll thru a bunch of pot items to get to it during danger times.

it really is a lovely game. OH! did you jump down into the tutorial area at the start? it's easy to miss and would make things trickier first time.

thanks Dumb Sex-Parrot and deep dish peat moss for this winter bounty!

Rockman Reserve

"Carbons? Purge? What are you talking about?!"

for the wolf cave just grind some thin animal bones outside and pull/kill then that way from the big ledge when you walk in, or find some magic and melt them

a lot of people complain the wolves are hard even in the open world but unless you’re really not paying attention it’s harder to get swarmed by them than it is in that cave, in that case just use shield, you can guard punish them like most enemies

I Was The Fury

Always stop to smell the flowers, just in case they're weeds

Finger Prince posted:

Wolves and dog enemies in general have fast lunging attacks that can be tough to time dodges or guage distance for. If you have a shield I recommend using the new guard counter thing (hit strong attack as soon as the shield blocks the attack.) it's done wonders against canine enemies for me since a single blocked attack is usually enough to stagger them for a second

I still get murdered to hell and back if I get jumped by a group of wolves though

Bo-Pepper

Want some rye?
Course ya do!

I have been dual wielding great swords for the moment. Dog enemies have been a real bother because I don't have any block and their bouncy back and forth keep catching me off guard.

Finger Prince

Yeah I ran out of arrows, but that was somewhat successful. I could pick off the smaller wolves from the ledge, I just need more arrows. I have never been good at parry/counter/dodge playstyles so this game is going to be tough for me, I knew that going in. That's why I chose the bandit, so I could use a bow and stealth attacks and not have to rely so much shields and blocking. I'll just have to farm the small woodland beasts and birds so I've got a decent stash of arrows.

Bo-Pepper

Want some rye?
Course ya do!

I'd say if the overall game is appealing to you stick with it. My guess is you'll find a weapon combo that works for you.

One fun early weapon to play with you could get to right away is the Twin Blade. It's hidden not far from the beginning area. If you're not averse to minor spoilers, it's not hard to find guides as to where it is. Two-Hand it for best results.

Areola Grande

it's a free country u pervs
I played Triangle Strategy all day and it owns rear end :koos:

especially if u liked FF tactics and its sequels

Rockman Reserve

"Carbons? Purge? What are you talking about?!"

Areola Grande posted:

I played Triangle Strategy all day and it owns rear end :koos:

especially if u liked FF tactics and its sequels

dang it i've been trying to avoid paying attention to it because $$$$ please don't do this to me

Areola Grande

it's a free country u pervs

Rockman Reserve posted:

dang it i've been trying to avoid paying attention to it because $$$$ please don't do this to me

it cost me so many dollars. Good thing there's a decent resale value if u buy the cart. $50 at walmart

Jolo

Catch 22: Needing the authentication code from the steam mobile app to sign in to the steam mobile app on a new phone.

I can remove the mobile app authenticator by:
signing in to the mobile app (nope)
getting a text with a code (not receiving on my phone)
Typing in a recovery code that I was given when I set up mobile app authentication (can't find this saved anywhere)

Woohoo, good times.

Heather Papps

hello friend

Jolo posted:

Catch 22: Needing the authentication code from the steam mobile app to sign in to the steam mobile app on a new phone.

Typing in a recovery code that I was given when I set up mobile app authentication (can't find this saved anywhere)

Woohoo, good times.

a fun one is when the mobile app is installed on a phone that is smashed, and you can just sort of get it to turn on, and sort of barely read anything on the screen.

sb hermit

Jolo posted:

Woohoo, good times.

I have a friend that is trying to sign into a long dormant account on wechat and apparently he has to have two friends (on his wechat buddy list or something) vouch for his identity because otherwise it could be seen as account stealing.

The only friends on there are people he's talked to over 7 years ago (on wechat) so it would be weird to just pop up out of the blue to ask them to do him a favor.

Alternatively, he could get his dad to help (and he would only be 1 out of 2 "friends" needed) but he would have to travel thousands of miles because the vouch thing is a complicated process.

All this, just so he could use his old account to talk to his dad in wechat. I would have just created a new account but maybe it's complicated.

Jolo

Hahaha, so the phone number just lists the last 2 digits which do match my number. It's not getting filtered to spam, so maybe there's a number wrong elsewhere in the number? So, I go to remove the number to replace it with the correct one. Same steps to confirm it's me that don't work but this time, "hey, want us to send you an email confirmation code?" YES. DO THAT.

I do that.

"ok cool, now we just need that recovery code you got when you set up the authenticator"

DOH.

~~~ byob summer 2020 ~~~ sig responsibly ~~~ i hope you enjoy my sig ~~~ please dont kangaroo jack what you cant kangaroo give back. ~~~

Scaly Haylie

Finger Prince posted:

hey, if you keep struggling i recommend trying one of the spellcasting classes. poo poo helps.

Farecoal

There he go
There's that meme about FFXIV (the newer MMO one) having a free trial up to level 60 with one of the expansions bundled in, so tried it and I don't really see the appeal? Feels too much like WoW, especially the combat.

Jolo

Farecoal posted:

There's that meme about FFXIV (the newer MMO one) having a free trial up to level 60 with one of the expansions bundled in, so tried it and I don't really see the appeal? Feels too much like WoW, especially the combat.

I've played a bunch of it, (finished the initial campaign up to level 50), and I think the main appeal is the storyline. Specifically the storyline in the expansions which I haven't gotten to. The post initial campaign quests are notorious for being pretty bland because they were kinda spinning their wheels until the first expansion was done.

It took me a long time to get used to the combat. There's something about it visually that doesn't feel as immediate as Wow. I had a good time with a Black Mage though because it's very different from Wow back when I played it where you have a bunch of mana but have to sit for a few moments to refill it. The black mage dumps all of their mana very quickly but swaps to ice and it refills very quickly, so you have this bouncing back and forth that is fun to try to keep going. That's really easy on your own when you can stand still, but trickier when fighting bosses that require you to move around.

~~~ byob summer 2020 ~~~ sig responsibly ~~~ i hope you enjoy my sig ~~~ please dont kangaroo jack what you cant kangaroo give back. ~~~

Finger Prince

Scaly Haylie posted:

hey, if you keep struggling i recommend trying one of the spellcasting classes. poo poo helps.

I was thinking of doing that, before I get too deep into it. I've got a falchion now that hits enemies in an arc, which is really handy. Got a sword for sneaky stabby, and falchion for chop chop. The bow is a lot less useful than I'd hoped it would be, especially since arrows are such a rare commodity, most of the time I'm running around arrowless. Plus it seems like magic would look really cool in this game? I'm finding it pretty grindy at the moment, I'm kind of at a point where I keep losing all my souls and can't retrieve them before dying again, which is slowing down progress. I'm at level 14 I think rn, the bandit starts at level 5. I'm supposed to go to some castle area but some big fuckin dude drops down from above and I'm like gently caress that because every other big fuckin dude one-shots me so I haven't bothered trying to fight him yet, I've just been going around exploring and uncovering the fast travel points that I can.

Jolo

There's a lot of little caves and other areas you can find scattered around the starting area. Also if you head south along the road the area to the south has some lower level stuff also.

Finger Prince

Jolo posted:

There's a lot of little caves and other areas you can find scattered around the starting area. Also if you head south along the road the area to the south has some lower level stuff also.

I've been to most of the caves and catecombs I can get to, and I'm tough enough now that I can clear them out, except for the bosses at the end of them. So I just kinda murder hobo around and replenish the enemies by touching the graces and murder hobo around some more. Eventually I guess I'll be a high enough level to attempt a boss, but I think I'll try the astrologer class and see how that goes.

Heather Papps

hello friend

(elden ring post)

i am almost certainly wrong but it seems like the main use for a bow is drawing enemies out of groups.

make it a habit to kill boids and goats and you will be fine arrow wise. if you use your bow to kill the birds you can get all of them without spooking them as well so 3 arrows could potentially get you 3 feathers for like 30 arrows.

Jolo

Finger Prince posted:

I've been to most of the caves and catecombs I can get to, and I'm tough enough now that I can clear them out, except for the bosses at the end of them. So I just kinda murder hobo around and replenish the enemies by touching the graces and murder hobo around some more. Eventually I guess I'll be a high enough level to attempt a boss, but I think I'll try the astrologer class and see how that goes.

Oh yeah you probably know this but classes don't work like most other games. A class is just a set of starting attributes and equipment. You can start as a barbarian and then buy/find a magic weapon and level up those stats and play however you want so I wouldn't start a new character, just look up what you need to use magic and level up accordingly.

Finger Prince

Jolo posted:

Oh yeah you probably know this but classes don't work like most other games. A class is just a set of starting attributes and equipment. You can start as a barbarian and then buy/find a magic weapon and level up those stats and play however you want so I wouldn't start a new character, just look up what you need to use magic and level up accordingly.

Ok good to know, I didn't know how it worked with magic. I kind of burned a lot of level up points on dex so I could use a flail I found, but I didn't end up liking the flail so now I've got 18 dex and kinda poo poo for the rest of the stats. Still, can't hurt as a stealth class. I'm working on getting my vigor up now because getting one shotted by bosses sucks.

Bo-Pepper

Want some rye?
Course ya do!

also feel free to horse past that big ole giant that drops down it’s ok he’s really doesn’t mind and then there’sal a whole bunch more to explore on the other side i don’t think i ever killed him come to think of it

Scaly Haylie

it's worth pointing out that the holy-flavored spells don't just include the traditional buffs and heals, but also include stuff like fireballs and the loving destructo disc

itry

Jolo posted:

Hahaha, so the phone number just lists the last 2 digits which do match my number. It's not getting filtered to spam, so maybe there's a number wrong elsewhere in the number? So, I go to remove the number to replace it with the correct one. Same steps to confirm it's me that don't work but this time, "hey, want us to send you an email confirmation code?" YES. DO THAT.

I do that.

"ok cool, now we just need that recovery code you got when you set up the authenticator"

DOH.

I got locked out of my account once and had to talk to their customer support some person in the Valve offices and they actually helped me out. Just had to provide as much info as possible about my account until they believed they were talking to the owner of the account.

Jolo

itry posted:

I got locked out of my account once and had to talk to their customer support some person in the Valve offices and they actually helped me out. Just had to provide as much info as possible about my account until they believed they were talking to the owner of the account.

Yeah, I filled out a big ol form with a bunch of information and the response back wasn't helpful at all but then I tried an sms verification again this morning and it came through instantly. It really seemed like they had the wrong phone number or something. Instead I guess their sms sender just wasn't working yesterday? I dunno. It's back to authenticating via email which seems to actually work, so that's good.

Farecoal

There he go
*old man voice* i remember when we stored all our video games on cds or even those newfangled dvds. it took 10 years to install black and white 2 and we liked it! nowadays some washington state hippie gets to decide if you can play your video games.

sb hermit

Farecoal posted:

*old man voice* i remember when we stored all our video games on cds or even those newfangled dvds. it took 10 years to install black and white 2 and we liked it! nowadays some washington state hippie gets to decide if you can play your video games.

I remember when we downloaded shareware and pc games were free but you should buy more episodes if you liked the game. I also remember making boot disk floppies for Origin games like ultima 7 and 8. Shareware was nice but boot floppies were not.

I also remember when console games didn't have internet access (or hard drives) and so there was no concept of "day zero patches" because how would you expect a consumer to know how to burn and replace a ROM chip or their own cd?

sb hermit

Copy protection used to be a question to look up in the manual, or looking at a paper with a red tinted magnifying glass, or a code wheel. Sierra games always had a clever way of making the manual relevant to copy protection but still being a bit fun.

sb hermit

Scaly Haylie posted:

it's worth pointing out that the holy-flavored spells don't just include the traditional buffs and heals, but also include stuff like fireballs and the loving destructo disc

does holy flavor go well with vodka?

Zil

Satanically Summoned Citrus

Myst was also impossible if you didn't have internet and were not adept at musical puzzles. Never made it past that piano part.

Finger Prince

sb hermit posted:

I remember when we downloaded shareware and pc games were free but you should buy more episodes if you liked the game. I also remember making boot disk floppies for Origin games like ultima 7 and 8. Shareware was nice but boot floppies were not.

I also remember when console games didn't have internet access (or hard drives) and so there was no concept of "day zero patches" because how would you expect a consumer to know how to burn and replace a ROM chip or their own cd?

Back in my day, it was zero day, not day zero, and that's how we got our games. :filez:

Heather Papps

hello friend

sb hermit posted:

Copy protection used to be a question to look up in the manual, or looking at a paper with a red tinted magnifying glass, or a code wheel. Sierra games always had a clever way of making the manual relevant to copy protection but still being a bit fun.

i've never played zork but i've always thought that

was the coolest copy protection ever, and i have never played or cared about zork. the metal gear "look at the back of the box" is also pretty clever but i do not know why in an age of special editions there aren't more physical items that have some sort of gameplay effect.
sure people would upload the information online in a moment but if the new elder scrolls had a quest that i had to look at the septim they sent me to complete i would think that was pretty neat.

sb hermit

Heather Papps posted:

i've never played zork but i've always thought that

was the coolest copy protection ever, and i have never played or cared about zork. the metal gear "look at the back of the box" is also pretty clever but i do not know why in an age of special editions there aren't more physical items that have some sort of gameplay effect.
sure people would upload the information online in a moment but if the new elder scrolls had a quest that i had to look at the septim they sent me to complete i would think that was pretty neat.

Not copy protection per se but just a fun game thing that may have ended up as an unexpected source of wailing and gnashing of teeth if you didn't get the game new. In the NES game StarTropics, the box came with an actual letter from one of the NPCs, which was nice but didn't seem too useful. At one point in the game, you needed to dip the letter in water to receive a secret message. Woe be to those who didn't keep the box!

the message contained a 3 digit code to put into your ship: 747

sb hermit

also, I've never played zork but I hear it's cool

sb hermit

Zil posted:

Myst was also impossible if you didn't have internet and were not adept at musical puzzles. Never made it past that piano part.

I never got to a single Age without the aid of a walkthrough when I first played the game at the age of 12 or so. It looked cool! Really reminded me of old WorldBuilder games on classic macs but turned up to 11.

Farecoal

There he go
I first heard of Zork through the website Uncyclopedia, in middle school. They had playable text adventures that were parodies of famous ones like Zork.

You can see why I liked this stuff in middle school

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

itry

sb hermit posted:

Not copy protection per se but just a fun game thing that may have ended up as an unexpected source of wailing and gnashing of teeth if you didn't get the game new. In the NES game StarTropics, the box came with an actual letter from one of the NPCs, which was nice but didn't seem too useful. At one point in the game, you needed to dip the letter in water to receive a secret message. Woe be to those who didn't keep the box!

the message contained a 3 digit code to put into your ship: 747

That's pretty loving cool tbh