Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Simplex
Jun 29, 2003

Jamwad Hilder posted:

I mean if your team tops out at "maybe makes the playoffs" its arguably better to blow it up and try to build around your youngest core players rather than continue to struggle every year to maybe make the playoffs (the Vancouver model). Is that what the Coyotes did though? I dunno. Probably not on purpose.

Nah they dumped much of their young core and picked up a bunch of old farts with lovely contacts. Even assuming their draft picks work out their remaining young core will have already moved on to greener pastures.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

ThinkTank
Oct 23, 2007

T-Bone posted:

The Guenther pick is looking pretty good at least, he could end up being a star.

PLEASE STOP REMINDING ME OF THIS ARRRRGGGHHHHHH

Jhet
Jun 3, 2013

eXXon posted:

... I don't think you can blame Blake Wheeler's slow development on Arizona.

He never even played there. His ppg dipped a lot from his high school, USHL, and UMN numbers where he was around 0.75ppg except high school where he was around 3ppg in Minnesota. This one is on Boston where he started playing and his production dropped a ton.

th3t00t
Aug 14, 2007

GOOD CLEAN FOOTBALL

Jamwad Hilder posted:

the Sabres need to fire whoever is in charge of telling them to challenge offsides
The Sabres should have won the first challenge.

You can only float your foot over the blue line on a zone entry, not on a tag up.

No excuse for the second challenge, it was close but no evidence to overturn.

Thought this image might amuse the thread

T-Bone
Sep 14, 2004

jakes did this?
Wheeler had Arizona's prospect pool ranked #25 in 2021 and #20 in 2022 which is pretty wild considering they're about to be on 10 years of no playoffs.

That being said they haven't been like dogshit awful a lot of those years (four of those seasons they were 4th in their division). As bad as they are this year they need to be that bad for a bit.

Spelling Mitsake
Oct 4, 2007

Clutch Cargo wishes they had Tractor.

triple sulk posted:

Holy poo poo, that WCF run the Coyotes had was 10 years ago

My mom happened to be in Phoenix during that postseason and went to one of the games. It was 20 bucks and the ticket came with a beer and a hot dog.

The Dirty Burger
Aug 24, 2007

1st team all star
+
2nd degree manslaughter
=
3rd world clothing line

Spelling Mitsake posted:

My mom happened to be in Phoenix during that postseason and went to one of the games. It was 20 bucks and the ticket came with a beer and a hot dog.

Glendale arena kinda owned when I went there like 5 years ago, they had a cool outdoor plaza around it with restaurants, bars and tvs everywhere

Random side note about that game, Duclair scored a hat trick against Ottawa, and I knew then and there he would eventually briefly be a Senator only not be re-signed because Melnyk didn’t like him posting BLM stuff (because he is a racist rear end in a top hat who is thankfully dead)

grack
Jan 10, 2012

COACH TOTORO SAY REFEREE CAN BANISH WHISTLE TO LAND OF WIND AND GHOSTS!

ThinkTank posted:

PLEASE STOP REMINDING ME OF THIS ARRRRGGGHHHHHH

I asked the VPD about getting Benning tarred and feathered but they said it was a bad idea since petroleum prices are so high.

Twin Cinema
Jun 1, 2006

Playoffs are no big deal,
don't have a crap attack.
So, I was taking a look at the active players who have played for the most teams, and seeing if anyone could take a run at Mike Sillinger's record 12. Right now, the leaders are

Derrick Brassard - 10
Nate Thompson - 9
Michael Del Zotto - 8
Brian Boyle - 8

Since I don't pay for Play Index, I can't see who has less than 8 teams. While Brassard is the closest, I think he's done after this season. Del Zotto looks like he's in the best situation, because he's only in his age-31 season, and veteran defenders seem like they can stick around for a while. However, he's signed with Ottawa for another season, but could be a deadline deal when Ottawa is inevitably out of the playoff picture next February/March.

Sillinger's career is a work of art.

Precambrian Video Games
Aug 19, 2002

The real record is whichever player played for the most defunct teams before they retired. Can anyone lay claim to having played for the Whalers, Jets, and Nordiques? There's another decade separating the two dead Atlanta teams and the Rockies (e: and North Stars) to possibly stretch it to more than three.

Precambrian Video Games fucked around with this message at 00:32 on Apr 30, 2022

Good Soldier Svejk
Jul 5, 2010

eXXon posted:

The real record is whichever player played for the most defunct teams before they retired. Can anyone lay claim to having played for the Whalers, Jets, and Nordiques? There's another decade separating the two dead Atlanta teams and the Rockies to possibly stretch it to more than three.

So far I've found Brent Ashton with the Rockies, Nordiques, and Jets

ooh and Aaron Broten with the Rockies, North Stars, Nordiques, and Jets

Twin Cinema
Jun 1, 2006

Playoffs are no big deal,
don't have a crap attack.

eXXon posted:

The real record is whichever player played for the most defunct teams before they retired. Can anyone lay claim to having played for the Whalers, Jets, and Nordiques? There's another decade separating the two dead Atlanta teams and the Rockies to possibly stretch it to more than three.

I found Paul MacDermid who played with the Whalers, Jets, and Nordiques!

Precambrian Video Games
Aug 19, 2002

Good Soldier Svejk posted:

ooh and Aaron Broten with the Rockies, North Stars, Nordiques, and Jets

Ah, but he retired before all but the Rockies moved. Only someone who retired after 1997 can take credit for killing all four of the Whalerjet Northdiques while outlasting them (so possibly that's nobody).

whatis
Jun 6, 2012
cool moment before the start of the sabres game with malcom subban singing the US national anthem. he spent time with chicago at the start of the season and is still on buffalo's roster, so all the players were loving it

https://twitter.com/NHL/status/1520181110772310016

not sure if that's a first or what, but its definitely unique

this is also rick jeanneret's last play-by-play before retirement

CBJSprague24
Dec 5, 2010

another game at nationwide arena. everybody keeps asking me if they can fuck the cannon. buddy, they don't even let me fuck it

whatis posted:

cool moment before the start of the sabres game with malcom subban singing the US national anthem. he spent time with chicago at the start of the season and is still on buffalo's roster, so all the players were loving it

https://twitter.com/NHL/status/1520181110772310016

not sure if that's a first or what, but its definitely unique

this is also rick jeanneret's last play-by-play before retirement

Why do I feel like he's retired like 3 times by now?

Zodijackylite
Oct 18, 2005

hello bonjour, en francais we call the bread man l'homme de pain, because pain means bread and we're going to see a lot of pain this year and every nyrfan is looking forward to it and hey tony, can you wait until after my postgame interview to get on your phone? i thought you quit twitter...
That rules, it reminds me of those goalies in Europe who goof around after the games to entertain the crowd.

ThinkTank
Oct 23, 2007

The NHLPA are ditching Fehr.

fisting by many
Dec 25, 2009

I know they're resting guys but I sure didn't have Montreal hanging 10 on Florida to end the season.

Spelling Mitsake
Oct 4, 2007

From the GDT:

Propaganda Hour posted:

What a difference a day coach makes

It would have been something if he could have played like this all year. Ducharme was a mistake.

MononcQc
May 29, 2007

And that's on the last team in the league too.

Jhet
Jun 3, 2013

ThinkTank posted:

The NHLPA are ditching Fehr.

He’s like 75, so about drat time.

EL BROMANCE
Jun 10, 2006

COWABUNGA DUDES!
🥷🐢😬

fisting by many posted:

I know they're resting guys but I sure didn't have Montreal hanging 10 on Florida to end the season.

JJ probably made more money per save this season than Bob.

DJExile
Jun 28, 2007

The flyera, for one last time this season, were dogshit garbage

xzzy
Mar 5, 2009

DJExile posted:

The flyera, for one last time this season, were dogshit garbage

But not for the last time in 2022.

Spelling Mitsake
Oct 4, 2007

That habs game was the most fun I've had watching hockey all season. Caufield hat trick. Price with 37/39 saves. The crowd making tons of noise, Guy chants.

Makes me feel optimistic about next year. Not like it can get any worse I guess.

The Dirty Burger
Aug 24, 2007

1st team all star
+
2nd degree manslaughter
=
3rd world clothing line

MononcQc posted:

And that's on the last team in the league too.

Top spending team in the league though

MononcQc
May 29, 2007

The Dirty Burger posted:

Top spending team in the league though

Healthcare is expensive

Good soup!
Nov 2, 2010

You're free........you're finally free.........

*Flyers fade from existence*

Kilza
Oct 4, 2013

:siren: END OF THE SEASON EBUG ALERT :siren:

https://twitter.com/frank_seravalli/status/1520227580309299200

Propaganda Hour
Aug 25, 2008

after editing wikipedia as a joke for 16 years, i ve convinced myself that homer simpson's japanese name translates to the "The beer goblin"
gently caress yeah I love ebugs

EL BROMANCE
Jun 10, 2006

COWABUNGA DUDES!
🥷🐢😬

Panthers gonna sign him up.

Nissin Cup Nudist
Sep 3, 2011

Sleep with one eye open

We're off to Gritty Gritty land

I hope he's even more of a schlub than a 40 year old Zamboni driver

Propaganda Hour
Aug 25, 2008

after editing wikipedia as a joke for 16 years, i ve convinced myself that homer simpson's japanese name translates to the "The beer goblin"
N: https://twitter.com/MikeKellyNHL/status/1520217650282078210?s=20&t=dR7uv8yw05NbbreUsq0r3g

V: https://twitter.com/DrakeMT/status/1520210345071108097?s=20&t=dR7uv8yw05NbbreUsq0r3g

CBJSprague24
Dec 5, 2010

another game at nationwide arena. everybody keeps asking me if they can fuck the cannon. buddy, they don't even let me fuck it

What in the hell happened to the Panthers? I saw talk about the goalie, but that's remarkable given who they were playing.

yellowcar
Feb 14, 2010

CBJSprague24 posted:

What in the hell happened to the Panthers? I saw talk about the goalie, but that's remarkable given who they were playing.

their good players took the day off

fisting by many
Dec 25, 2009

JT Miller finishes the season at 99 points after getting absolutely robbed on a backdoor feed in OT.

Reminds me of Vancouver losing the Sedins' final game in a shootout to Calgary -- Henrik was also denied on a scramble in front of the net with 25 seconds left, the defender swept it off the goal line. (That game also had a questionable shootout pick -- although you kinda HAVE to let Henrik take it in his final career game -- they certainly didn't need to let OEL shoot fifth tonight)

What is it with Alberta teams denying the Canucks cool things in meaningless season finale OTs? :mad:

fisting by many fucked around with this message at 05:59 on Apr 30, 2022

EL BROMANCE
Jun 10, 2006

COWABUNGA DUDES!
🥷🐢😬

CBJSprague24 posted:

A typical lineup from the last few weeks (so already missing Ekblad) where I’ve crossed off players who didn’t touch the ice tonight.

Montour is the only guy who’s played more than a handful of games in D, and our forth line dressed as first. I kinda hoped they’d put up a little fight, but guessing the order was ‘just get through the 60 and don’t get injured’.

goldrush
Sep 27, 2005

~~~No Worries~~~

fisting by many posted:

JT Miller finishes the season at 99 points after getting absolutely robbed on a backdoor feed in OT.

Reminds me of Vancouver losing the Sedins' final game in a shootout to Calgary -- Henrik was also denied on a scramble in front of the net with 25 seconds left, the defender swept it off the goal line. (That game also had a questionable shootout pick -- although you kinda HAVE to let Henrik take it in his final career game -- they certainly didn't need to let OEL shoot fifth tonight)

What is it with Alberta teams denying the Canucks cool things in meaningless season finale OTs? :mad:

Boudreau ends the season on 599 career coaching wins, too

But let's not bury the lede, here. Quinn Hughes finished with 68 points, the biggest shame of all.

DO YALL WANT A BOXC
Jul 20, 2010

HAHA! WOOOOOOO WOOO!
Fun Shoe
was looking at the Canucks' roster and was thinking "man, that's a reasonably priced set of forwards. generally not bad players. decent goalie. quinn hughes. how is this team not better?"

...and then I looked at the rest of their defense and g o o d l o r d.

the myers/OEL contracts are extremely dark. not even sure what you do with that. pray there's another Hughes coming?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

tarbrush
Feb 7, 2011

ALL ABOARD THE SCOTLAND HYPE TRAIN!

CHOO CHOO
And the Knights hang 7 on someone the game after they're eliminated.

Yay.