Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

skooma512
Feb 8, 2012

You couldn't grok my race car, but you dug the roadside blur.
"Hammes also argued that his proposal would increase the Navy’s capacity to rapidly mobilize in the event of a crisis. If container ships are used en masse, commercial sailors could be added as members of the Navy Reserve, while ships could be quickly outfitted with missile technology and deployed to the field when needed."

(From America's Carriers Are Being Hamstrung By A Range Problem)

I mean yes that's technically in a min-max sort of way, but isn't that kind of a war crime? Or at least blurring the line between civilian merchant vessel and naval vessel and making any American cargo ship a valid target?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

i say swears online
Mar 4, 2005

i don't think so, as long as the right flags are up and they identify themselves as military

Rutibex
Sep 9, 2001

by Fluffdaddy
press ganging sailors into your navy is a time honored english naval tradition

Pryor on Fire
May 14, 2013

they don't know all alien abduction experiences can be explained by people thinking saving private ryan was a documentary

I watched a documentary on how that works
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=NKUDfW2PZ9g

Bar Ran Dun
Jan 22, 2006

skooma512 posted:

I mean yes that's technically in a min-max sort of way, but isn't that kind of a war crime? Or at least blurring the line between civilian merchant vessel and naval vessel and making any American cargo ship a valid target?

No.

that’s actually what the navy was until relatively recently. there were even merchant ships turned privateers in WWII. most merchant ships in convoys had a gun. often used to buy time to get crew to the lifeboats.

Bar Ran Dun
Jan 22, 2006

and a large percentage of US Merchant Mariners are also navy reservists. our maritime academies are designed to commission into the navy while getting them USCG licenses.

Frosted Flake
Sep 13, 2011

Semper Shitpost Ubique

I think our merchant marine suffered the highest losses of any service, but I’d have to check. That was with U-Boats and torpedoes. You want to run that gauntlet with anti-ship missiles, nuclear subs and whatever else?

e: Based on the Ports of Halifax and Vancouver, most GRT is flagged to tax havens to hide income, and avoid workplace standards and wages for crews from the Third World. So, another result of globalization is that there is no merchant marine, not really, and few Canadian or American merchant seaman. We sold that for parts. Good luck getting the Bangladeshi crew of a Liberian flagged ship to go along with this scheme.

Frosted Flake has issued a correction as of 02:09 on Apr 28, 2022

Bar Ran Dun
Jan 22, 2006

Frosted Flake posted:

. So, another result of globalization is that there is no merchant marine, not really, and few Canadian or American merchant seaman.

yes the American merchant marine is small. but we run a navy reserve program to keep merchant officers around for exactly this. several state schools and a federal academy feed into it. at least enough to breakout the RRF. I believe we are currently the only country capable of doing something like that.

Frosted Flake posted:

You want to run that gauntlet with anti-ship missiles, nuclear subs and whatever else?

I uh am no longer in that reserve program, so not really.

Weka
May 5, 2019

That child totally had it coming. Nobody should be able to be out at dusk except cars.

Bar Ran Dun posted:

what nations navy is going to do that in the middle of the pacific?

edit to be more clear I really don’t disagree that this is not a problem actually. it’s just everybody else’s lack of bluewater capability

China has 58 attack submarines. The export version of the diesel electric type 039a has a range of 8000 nautical miles.

E: 3 type 039c subs supposed to hit the slips this year. Apparently
"The U.S. DoD projects a total of 42 Yuans by 2025, excluding export models. If so, around 20-25 may be the new version."
http://www.hisutton.com/Chinese-Type-039C-Yuan-Class-Submarine.html

That's a lot of capacity to churn out a type of submarine America doesn't seem to have an answer for.

Weka has issued a correction as of 08:02 on Apr 28, 2022

Ardennes
May 12, 2002
Also, both the Russians and the Chinese have plenty of their own nuclear attack subs that are simply limited by food (Russian subs in particular have significantly smaller crews.)

I don't think people how much things are changing, China is going to have more cruisers than the US in a few years and probably rival it in destroyers (and the US doesn't really have operationally frigates at this point until the Constellation comes online). The US has its carriers, but they are still outranged by Chinese anti-ship missiles. China is also rapidly ramping up sub-production.

Rutibex
Sep 9, 2001

by Fluffdaddy

Ardennes posted:

Also, both the Russians and the Chinese have plenty of their own nuclear attack subs that are simply limited by food (Russian subs in particular have significantly smaller crews.)

I don't think people how much things are changing, China is going to have more cruisers than the US in a few years and probably rival it in destroyers (and the US doesn't really have operationally frigates at this point until the Constellation comes online). The US has its carriers, but they are still outranged by Chinese anti-ship missiles. China is also rapidly ramping up sub-production.

carriers are the Bismarck of the 21st century. big pointless targets. It's ameircan excesses that continue to support boats with fighter planes on it like it's 1943. there are drones and cruise missiles and hyper missiles now we don't need grandpas spitfire

Weka
May 5, 2019

That child totally had it coming. Nobody should be able to be out at dusk except cars.
That remains to be seen. Air launched missiles are a thing and if you can sit your carrier way back and fly a relatively cheap plane forward to launch your missile then I can see them being useful as a stand off tool.

Rutibex
Sep 9, 2001

by Fluffdaddy
They should make a cruise missle that can launch smaller sub-missles

gradenko_2000
Oct 5, 2010

HELL SERPENT
Lipstick Apathy
my brother in christ that's just a MIRV

Weka
May 5, 2019

Or a drone.

Frosted Flake
Sep 13, 2011

Semper Shitpost Ubique

They can be useful without being decisive, I think that’s the big distinction.

e: Majority of Canadians have no interest in joining the military, DND poll shows

Frosted Flake has issued a correction as of 12:52 on Apr 28, 2022

Centrist Committee
Aug 6, 2019

Weka posted:

That remains to be seen.

yeah and I can’t wait tbh

Wheeee
Mar 11, 2001

When a tree grows, it is soft and pliable. But when it's dry and hard, it dies.

Hardness and strength are death's companions. Flexibility and softness are the embodiment of life.

That which has become hard shall not triumph.

carriers are tremendously useful for projecting force against weaker enemies, they’re instruments of empire

Real hurthling!
Sep 11, 2001

also losing one just means we get to pay for even bigger shittier ones

JAY ZERO SUM GAME
Oct 18, 2005

Walter.
I know you know how to do this.
Get up.

losing one means we all die

Real hurthling!
Sep 11, 2001

i believe in a world where rogue terrorists have anti ship missiles.

thank you ukraine war zone

War and Pieces
Apr 24, 2022

DID NOT VOTE FOR FETTERMAN

Wheeee posted:

carriers are tremendously useful for projecting force against weaker enemies, they’re instruments of empire

and arguably for soft power projection in the form of disaster relief.

Pryor on Fire
May 14, 2013

they don't know all alien abduction experiences can be explained by people thinking saving private ryan was a documentary

War and Pieces posted:

and arguably for soft power projection in the form of disaster relief.

Play nice with the US State Dept or you get no disaster relief from our military. Glad we have that policy of spite, it seems to be working out great for global stability.

Trabisnikof
Dec 24, 2005

Pryor on Fire posted:

Play nice with the US State Dept or you get no disaster relief from our military. Glad we have that policy of spite, it seems to be working out great for global stability.

biopower is as biopower does

BrutalistMcDonalds
Oct 4, 2012

Lipstick Apathy
navy morale doesn't seem to be doing too great

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=pqpCCqPuFik

Pryor on Fire
May 14, 2013

BrutalistMcDonalds posted:

navy morale doesn't seem to be doing too great

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=pqpCCqPuFik

I had never heard about this before

quote:

During an all-hands call, Master Chief Petty Officer of the Navy Russell Smith admitted that working and living aboard a carrier undergoing such maintenance is tough. He said that Big Navy could do a better job to “manage expectations” about how bad it can be when it comes to working bathrooms, food and living in a construction zone.

In addition to grappling with at least seven deaths in their ranks over the past year, GW sailors have told Navy Times of living aboard a dismantled ship in an industrial no man’s land, of having to walk miles to get from their car to the ship and feeling like they’ve become little more than glorified paint chippers as the carrier stumbles toward its fifth year in the yard.

“It’s not a place for first-time sailors, where you’re sold all this stuff from a recruiter and you’re thrown on this ship where stuff doesn’t even work, berthings aren’t clean, bathrooms aren’t cleaned,” said a sailor who spoke with Navy Times and requested anonymity for fear of retaliation.

Smith told the embattled crew that he heard their concerns and that they should raise them, but that “you have to do so with reasonable expectations.”

“What you’re not doing is sleeping in a foxhole like a Marine might be doing,” he said, adding that much of the crew goes home each night, something that can’t be said for a deployed carrier.

The stupid boat has been undergoing repairs for five years in the same drydock and none of the crew has gotten to do the jobs they were supposed to be doing at all. It's the exact same poo poo as the F22 and F35 always being broken, just on another order of magnitude.

Bar Ran Dun
Jan 22, 2006

yeah shipyard periods suck. but it’s better than being underway. being out at sea blows.

Real hurthling!
Sep 11, 2001

why isnt the crew assigned to other stuff?

Bar Ran Dun
Jan 22, 2006

there is poo poo to do in a shipyard you need crew for .

Real hurthling!
Sep 11, 2001

why are they living on it tho?

Rutibex
Sep 9, 2001

by Fluffdaddy
they should steal the ship and go on an adventure like captain kirk

Bar Ran Dun
Jan 22, 2006

Real hurthling! posted:

why are they living on it tho?

sometimes you live in hotels too. depends on what is being done.

Real hurthling!
Sep 11, 2001

are they installing the digital launch system? im against it. "give me the goddamn steam!" a handsome man once said

Palladium
May 8, 2012

Very Good
✔️✔️✔️✔️

Real hurthling! posted:

are they installing the digital launch system? im against it. "give me the goddamn steam!" a handsome man once said

China should bait Elon to enter the MIC business

Frosted Flake
Sep 13, 2011

Semper Shitpost Ubique

What’s up with all of the collisions and peacetime deaths in the USN the past few years?

gradenko_2000
Oct 5, 2010

HELL SERPENT
Lipstick Apathy
https://twitter.com/NatSecCNN/statu...ingawful.com%2F

Danann
Aug 4, 2013

Frosted Flake posted:

What’s up with all of the collisions and peacetime deaths in the USN the past few years?

gotta show china the flag in order to prove we're not a dying empire

Bar Ran Dun
Jan 22, 2006

ships are just dangerous and godawful to be on too.

skooma512
Feb 8, 2012

You couldn't grok my race car, but you dug the roadside blur.
When the Navy was having that rash of collisions, I remember reading people reckoning it was because they were running skeleton crews, treating crews like poo poo almost solely for vibes, and scrimping on training because the budget had to go to grift projects like LCS instead.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

gradenko_2000
Oct 5, 2010

HELL SERPENT
Lipstick Apathy

Bar Ran Dun posted:

ships are just dangerous and godawful to be on too.

"gently caress the ocean"