Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

S.W.O.R.D. Agent
Apr 30, 2012

Those are fun colors, but that is some absolute nightmare fuel, haha.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

GATOS Y VATOS
Aug 22, 2002

Nari is showing the test shot from the new mold on his IG

https://www.instagram.com/tv/CcuWwM5AEWt/?igshid=YmMyMTA2M2Y=

S.W.O.R.D. Agent
Apr 30, 2012

Ooooh, that looks awesome!!! I can't wait to see it painted. I really like the GID stuff he does, so one part of me wants to hold out for that. Another says I should try for the first release.

Also for the record, Zen Market wont purchase anything from M1 that's not in their online store specifically, so no Hedora trike for me. Zen Market is super user friendly though so anyone looking to give it a shot should do so. I have a Rakuten Ultraman on the way and the process was super smooth.

For you guys that have produced your own sofubi. When sculpting, do you have any idea how the joins are done? Does that need to be part of the original sculpt or does that come after wax molding?

GATOS Y VATOS
Aug 22, 2002

S.W.O.R.D. Agent posted:

For you guys that have produced your own sofubi. When sculpting, do you have any idea how the joins are done? Does that need to be part of the original sculpt or does that come after wax molding?

It's added to the wax- there are calculations that have to be made so they go in the precise placement to allow optimal pulling from the mold. I've been told by a few sculptors that it's one of the most difficult parts of the process. You have to think during the entire process also on how the figure will be pulled out of the mold- if you make an angle too sharp you can end up with the figure being stretched in a way that malforms the part and makes it unusable. This is why Nari's Disk Kappa is a super limited piece: the UFO on his back has problems where most of the time it's not formed properly. He also told me that Bukiminda had problems because he made the feet too sharp of an angle and a lot of times they would malform or tear when being pulled.

S.W.O.R.D. Agent
Apr 30, 2012

Interesting, I've got some experience with sculpting, but have never cut in any sort of articulation or moving parts. It's been an interesting endeavor figuring that part out.

Snowy
Oct 6, 2010

A man whose blood
Is very snow-broth;
One who never feels
The wanton stings and
Motions of the sense

I’d love to learn more about sculpting dos and don’ts when designing for sofubi

GATOS Y VATOS
Aug 22, 2002

Welp I knew that my dry spell couldn’t last. A good friend of mine is going to Super Festival on Friday and I’ve asked her to pick me up a few things including this marble glow Z-Ton by Marusan

The other 2 figures I hope to get are the black haired versions of the Mohawk and Regent cut cats by Bird Ark

The sunglasses are magnetic!!

Also I had to do it- I was able to get one of the three available marble glow Eyezons painted by Michael Devera that dropped at MaxToy

Michael is a good friend and this paint job is amazing!

Yeah I’m a sucker. But I’ve paid down a poo poo ton of my debt and felt the need

S.W.O.R.D. Agent
Apr 30, 2012

Those are fun! The cats have so much personality.

That Eyezon is super cool too. I really like that character in general. I've been in love with the Beth Graves sculpt of Eyezon. I'm super excited for the one with guts coming up. I've only seen sofubi with guts in pictures, so I'm hoping I can grab one of those.

S.W.O.R.D. Agent
Apr 30, 2012

Final few pickups for now came in the mail.

Picked up Janet by Orbitdyne (Failson)!

The colors really pop in person, and I love the hook for hanging. I need to get a sticky hook so I can hang it in my cabinet above my galaxy people. Also, included a few other goodies that were fun inclusions (not pictured as they are currently near a sleeping toddler, ha)!

My Rakuten Ultraman came in:

He's very similar to the one I just got from the One-Up auction at first glance, but the glitter is quite different and he's a bit more opaque. The new one is more of a sparkle glitter while the One-Up one is more of a confetti I suppose.

One-Up lottery Fireman

Really fun colors, and I adore this sculpt.

Group shot sans the newest Ultraman who I forgot I pulled out before I snapped the pic:

Failson
Sep 2, 2018
Fun Shoe
That blue and purple Fireman is stunning! I really need to get one of that sculpt.

Thank you for your support, S.W.O.R.D.!

ETA: I've been obsessing over artist Yoshi's character designs lately, and apparently he has a kaiju incoming (he's straightening the feet in these pictures):

https://twitter.com/Yoshi6054/status/1520161755913068544

Failson fucked around with this message at 00:28 on Apr 30, 2022

S.W.O.R.D. Agent
Apr 30, 2012

Failson posted:

That blue and purple Fireman is stunning! I really need to get one of that sculpt.

Thank you for your support, S.W.O.R.D.!

ETA: I've been obsessing over artist Yoshi's character designs lately, and apparently he has a kaiju incoming (he's straightening the feet in these pictures):

https://twitter.com/Yoshi6054/status/1520161755913068544

Hell yeah man, Janet is awesome!

I guess based on that picture vinyl will keep the shape of where it cools? I've got a couple sofubi that wobble, and would love to flatten them out if that'll work. Any issues putting painted sofubi into water or should I stick with a hair dryer / heat gun?

GATOS Y VATOS
Aug 22, 2002

Just don't get the heat gun too close as you can damage the vinyl; a hair dryer is fine. You can boil them as well no problem. I use a hair dryer pointed through a hole in a closed box full of parts to soften a bunch of figures up to put together.

Failson
Sep 2, 2018
Fun Shoe
Hair dryer for me too. I usually soften them up shape them as needed and then run them under cold water to "set" the shape. Ice waterdip would also work.

New Janet up:

https://twitter.com/orbitdyne/status/1520873392886276099?t=-7LCE1zs5MyDDxNdJ6VjjA&s=19

I have a horrible time photographing these (just like a real UFO!). The blue glow swirls are nearly invisible in normal lighting, but in pictures, they look bright, pukey yellow.

S.W.O.R.D. Agent
Apr 30, 2012

Okay, thanks for the info guys. I've done similar things with action figures, but was scared to try these for fear of damaging the paint.

GATOS Y VATOS
Aug 22, 2002

If it’s a Sofubi that you got from a maker and not a custom then it more than likely was done with vinyl paint and will be fine

GATOS Y VATOS
Aug 22, 2002

Nari stated today that he will probably make a new Timera colorway this summer! It’s the one that released at the beginning of the pandemic and I’ve not been able to get.

Failson
Sep 2, 2018
Fun Shoe
That's wonderful!

I tweeted one of my ridiculously expensive customs because my Mom is in the hospital, and at some point, my day job is going to get tired of me taking time to take care of her.

the custom is an RxH Chaos trooper. One of the few blanks released. Mori replied "unofficial" and blocked me.

That's fair, and a good reminder that I need to make clear that custom toys I paint are in no way associated or approved by the creator of said toy.

I'm an idiot. Damage done.

Failson fucked around with this message at 07:16 on May 6, 2022

GATOS Y VATOS
Aug 22, 2002

Yeah if it's a small maker it's a good idea to reach out and ask them if it's ok with them if you paint one of their figures with the goal of selling it. Some aren't about it but a lot are fine- mostly it's about the courtesy contact.

Failson
Sep 2, 2018
Fun Shoe

GATOS Y VATOS posted:

Yeah if it's a small maker it's a good idea to reach out and ask them if it's ok with them if you paint one of their figures with the goal of selling it. Some aren't about it but a lot are fine- mostly it's about the courtesy contact.

Indeed. I pulled the listing, and I'll try and mail an apology to to Mori and beg his forgiveness.

Lesson learned: if I do something stupid and desperate, do it with my own art and don't involve someone else's.

Anyway, the pours on these new Marusan figures look incredible:

https://twitter.com/sofvitokyo/status/1522942551220977665?t=Ga-LMyxJT6_b3gCmezYMLw&s=19

Failson
Sep 2, 2018
Fun Shoe
And here's a chrome Mecha Kong from Y-MSF.

https://twitter.com/39maichan/status/1523210950999822337?t=Mr4-IaaZcRxNJEfP1Y4SLg&s=19

Been meaning to get a mechanikong in my collection for a while.

LadyPictureShow
Nov 18, 2005

Success!

Dang, I want that Biollante; but if I'm getting a decent explanation via google translate, they're only being sold at a certain store?

On that topic, finding Biollante at a reasonable price seems drat near impossible in either form. Is it a less commonly made figure/small runs? Are the appendages a pain? I figure there's a reason that the ones I see are so pricey.

I think Mondo's doing a run at some point, so maybe I can get one of those...

S.W.O.R.D. Agent
Apr 30, 2012

Not exactly apples to apples, but Super 7 is releasing a Biolante action figure if you don't have to have a sofubi one:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Gi5RxyVUZOQ

Failson
Sep 2, 2018
Fun Shoe
Keep an eye on HobbyLink Japan or AmiAmi, the Bandai Movie Monster Biollante is usually in the $15 - $20 range when it's in stock.

https://www.hlj.com/movie-monster-series-biollante-bann23518

It's also times like this I miss the old Revoltech Kaiju figures. SH Monsterarts are great, but there was such a weird charm to the Revoltech sculpts and accessories.

GATOS Y VATOS
Aug 22, 2002

The Bandai Movie Monster series are even easier to get than that! They have an official Amazon store and prices are pretty great all things considered!

Voila! Biolante for $22!

LadyPictureShow
Nov 18, 2005

Success!

Thanks for the Biollante advice!

My move is complete, so I've got the majority of my guys unpacked (quicker and easier than unpacking the kitchen...)

So here's a few of my guys!

A few Hanamusic bugs!

My Ohonnekos.
When the 'Big Dinosaur' line was first announced, they hinted at a King Ghidorah one, but I doubt that's still in the works...

Vaporware
May 22, 2004

Still not here yet.

Failson posted:

That's wonderful!

I tweeted one of my ridiculously expensive customs because my Mom is in the hospital, and at some point, my day job is going to get tired of me taking time to take care of her.

the custom is an RxH Chaos trooper. One of the few blanks released. Mori replied "unofficial" and blocked me.

That's fair, and a good reminder that I need to make clear that custom toys I paint are in no way associated or approved by the creator of said toy.

I'm an idiot. Damage done.

Is this mostly to avoid counterfeits? It seems out of character to release a blank only to punish reselling? What kind of artist is so financially stable that they don't need to sell their customs?

The secondary market is aggressive, maybe this would be to discourage speculation? Or overpainting an original colorway?

GATOS Y VATOS
Aug 22, 2002

Vaporware posted:

Is this mostly to avoid counterfeits? It seems out of character to release a blank only to punish reselling? What kind of artist is so financially stable that they don't need to sell their customs?

The secondary market is aggressive, maybe this would be to discourage speculation? Or overpainting an original colorway?

Basically it's a small time artist wanting to protect his art from profiteers. Many are ok with doing collaborations with other painters, but it's a good idea to ask before anything is done. I've painted some but for my own self, and I've also done a few painted figures with the artist's permission. Most small makers do collaborations with painters and the profits are split.

Of course painting stuff from larger companies is usually a-o-k. Marusan puts out blanks and the other year started calling them something like artist's series where they encourage people to paint them. Some makers like Y•MSF have said they are ok with people painting and selling his figures in a blanket statement. It all really depends.

Meanwhile: CCP has released their big Shin Gabora and the sculpt is nice, but honestly it looks very plain when it comes to the paint. I'm slightly disappointed.

https://twitter.com/Monster_fan1954/status/1525135418035150848?s=20&t=zBtXwLx3E09-4jz6xCbCPg

Also I got the tracking number for my King Smog and Disk Kappa package! :toot:

Failson
Sep 2, 2018
Fun Shoe

Vaporware posted:

This is on me, I was asking too much, and I didn't make it clear the custom wasn't a collaboration. Also now that I think about it, Mori hasn't released blanks in a long time, so his attitude on customs may have shifted.

It was arrogant and stupid of me.

Failson
Sep 2, 2018
Fun Shoe
But enough drama, look at this beautiful robo!

https://twitter.com/maxtoyco/status/1525304319980892160?t=cTlVluQAtUlZweMPoAnxxg&s=19

GATOS Y VATOS
Aug 22, 2002

drat!!

GATOS Y VATOS
Aug 22, 2002

WOOOOO!!

GATOS Y VATOS
Aug 22, 2002

So good

GATOS Y VATOS
Aug 22, 2002

😻😻😻😻

S.W.O.R.D. Agent
Apr 30, 2012

This lunar bug is great! Super cute!

Awww man, that GID is amazing!!!

Vaporware
May 22, 2004

Still not here yet.

GATOS Y VATOS posted:

Basically it's a ...

Oh Thanks for the breakdown, I wasn't trying to dredge drama up I was genuinely curious if popular sofubi dudes were high rollers / andy warhol type characters.

Don't worry about making a mis-step. Everyone has to and you learn more failing, so chin up and keep grinding on the art.

I was so close to ordering these gettas, but I'm drowning in display pieces and decided to let another fisherman catch those beautiful beasts.

edit: gotta scroll down lol

GATOS Y VATOS posted:

😻😻😻😻

:catdrugs:

GATOS Y VATOS
Aug 22, 2002

@failson Dude!

https://twitter.com/elegab_jp/status/1527865738920226816?s=21&t=0wxXIIEF4eU0mQNoPAuuqg

GATOS Y VATOS
Aug 22, 2002

Welp, there's a Godzilla Store event happening and this thing came up- the X Plus Gigantic series Shin Godzilla. Due to the weak Yen right now, it' just over $730 not including shipping which would happen at the end of the year. It's up for order through the end of next month and I'm reeeeeealy going to have to think about this one. It's one of the only absolute unit sofubi I've ever wanted.

https://godzilla.store/shop/g/gGSG0530245BY/

S.W.O.R.D. Agent
Apr 30, 2012

Wow, that thing is huge! Certainly would be an incredible centerpiece.

GATOS Y VATOS
Aug 22, 2002

I have zero idea where the gently caress I would put it

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

GATOS Y VATOS
Aug 22, 2002

Also you should check some of the other specials they have right now. They have a sofubi kit of Biogoji that looks great and some exclusive Hedorahs that look great and aren’t too expensive. But also be aware that as of next month EMS rates are going to be going up again