Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

deong
Jun 13, 2001

I'll see you in heck!

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

david_a
Apr 24, 2010

Megamarm

MassRafTer posted:

Same kind of reaction I had to FLAvor of the Weak but I don't think I've ever given that one a second go.
I think tracks 1, 4, 5, and 8 are strong, which are mostly instrumental. The “normal” songs are the weak ones on that album.

PinkoBastard
Oct 3, 2010
Re: new Skinny Puppy, I’m not a fan either. One thing I really liked about the OG records back in the day is that they sounded frightening, with lots of dirt and atmospheric sonic elements that were unlike anything else I’d ever heard. The newer records are a lot more conventional, both in composition and production style and imo they suffer greatly by comparison.

PinkoBastard fucked around with this message at 01:11 on Apr 30, 2022

hatelull
Oct 29, 2004

Maybe this is pure speculation, but could the sound of the new Puppy material be attributed to the idea that maybe it's just a Dropbox collaboration these days? My take is that the Kevins have a working relationship but they're not best buds or anything, and there's not these crazy studio jam sessions in the spirit of what happened back in the 80's and 90's. Key fucks around in the studio and says "yeah these tracks are probably good for puppy and not the bleepity-bloop hustle" and fires it off to Ogre who works up some lyrics and vocals. Mark Walk does a thing and voila, new Puppy track.

Super jealous of the gray beards and aging goths that got to see them in their prime. I'm a fan from golden era, but I only got the opportunity to see them on the GWOTR tour and everything after. I think we've discussed it before, but these days I wonder if they even bother with attempting a new release. Just do the needful, do the farewell tour and call it a day.

Rod Hoofhearted
Jun 18, 2000

I am a ghost

Ken Marshall also has a lot to do with the New Puppy era sound. He has an excellent YouTube channel where he goes over stuff he’s done for Puppy and other bands (FLA), and he adds a lot more to songs creatively than you would expect a mixing engineer would do.

He seems like a good person and his YouTube channel is interesting, but… I just don’t vibe with his sound. Don’t know what it is, but I don’t like his stuff, and I think he has a lot to do with New Puppy’s more “digital” sound. :shrug:

david_a
Apr 24, 2010

Megamarm

Rod Hoofhearted posted:

Ken Marshall also has a lot to do with the New Puppy era sound. He has an excellent YouTube channel where he goes over stuff he’s done for Puppy and other bands (FLA), and he adds a lot more to songs creatively than you would expect a mixing engineer would do.

He seems like a good person and his YouTube channel is interesting, but… I just don’t vibe with his sound. Don’t know what it is, but I don’t like his stuff, and I think he has a lot to do with New Puppy’s more “digital” sound. :shrug:

Eh, I can’t be too hard on him, they’re leaning on him a lot and evidently like the results. Ken was around for a lot of the classics too just as an assistant. I found a response from Ken on one of his videos where he talks a little about the old days:

quote:

Dave Ogilvie is a brilliant producer/engineer, and he had a HUGE influence on the sound of those albums. We were also recording in a legendary studio (Mushroom), with the best equipment on the planet ;-)) Of course, the biggest difference during those recordings is that we still had Dwayne Goettel in our lives (RIP)! The collaborative efforts of Ogre, cEvin, Dwayne, and Rave were one of a kind...talk about LEGENDARY ;-))

I would encourage people to poke around his channel and watch some of the SP videos; some of the time he’s just sent doodles or some components that could be turned into a song but isn’t really one yet. The guy is a producer & engineer, not a song writer (not primarily, at least, I know he writes some of his own stuff too). And yeah, I don’t think any of the members were in the same location for the new albums which obviously massively changes things.

The Voice of Labor
Apr 8, 2020
Probation
Can't post for 6 days!
I like that ken marshall posts exactly how he talks

TOOT BOOT
May 25, 2010

hatelull posted:

Maybe this is pure speculation, but could the sound of the new Puppy material be attributed to the idea that maybe it's just a Dropbox collaboration these days? My take is that the Kevins have a working relationship but they're not best buds or anything, and there's not these crazy studio jam sessions in the spirit of what happened back in the 80's and 90's. Key fucks around in the studio and says "yeah these tracks are probably good for puppy and not the bleepity-bloop hustle" and fires it off to Ogre who works up some lyrics and vocals. Mark Walk does a thing and voila, new Puppy track.

I think they use an FTP site but yeah, I'm pretty sure that's exactly how they work these days. cEvin puts together a bunch of tracks he thinks are appropriate for SP and sends them over to Ogre who picks which ones he wants to do vocals for and then he and Mark Walk do a thing and the end result result is a new SP album.

Probably a moot point now since the last SP album was 9 years ago and there's no sign that a new one is forthcoming... :(

david_a
Apr 24, 2010

Megamarm

The Voice of Labor posted:

I like that ken marshall posts exactly how he talks

Yeah the dude is like 110% positive all the time lol. He talked about that in one of his videos too, wasn’t always the case but he really wants to be easy to work with…

I haven’t been able to find a complete, authoritative list of all the things he’s worked on, but if some list I found on AllMusic is correct he produced some Numb and Tear Garden albums I think are great. I suppose he’s probably changed over the decades too, though.

BrutalistMcDonalds
Oct 4, 2012

Lipstick Apathy
I kinda dropped out of following music for awhile other than checking into ID:YD once in awhile and catching up, but I was pleased to hear about a new Encephalon album coming out.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=xgHfbkLe0PM

Also this sounds fresh to my ears:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=HHfxDCp7Mks

BrutalistMcDonalds fucked around with this message at 08:06 on Apr 30, 2022

BrutalistMcDonalds
Oct 4, 2012

Lipstick Apathy

Kamrat posted:

Suicide Commando is back with a new single, it's a halloween themed track.
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=vIxJsU3NQd8
While I'm not the biggest fan of SC I find their stuff pretty funny just because it's always so angry and edgy, guess that comes with the genre.
Same. I saw them once and burst out laughing at one point when their backing video turned into a set of rotting teeth gnashing to the beat. It was entertainingly stupid.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=g1KMZJPKVEA&t=1101s

Danger - Octopus!
Apr 20, 2008

Nap Ghost

BrutalistMcDonalds posted:

Same. I saw them once and burst out laughing at one point when their backing video turned into a set of rotting teeth gnashing to the beat. It was entertainingly stupid.

One time I saw Suicide Commando and the set opened with him coming on stage in a straitjacket, wearing a headset mic. He did the first song or two in the straitjacket then a roadie helped him out of it :v:

MassRafTer
May 26, 2001

BAEST MODE!!!

Can't listen to Suicide Commando without thinking about the time he noticed one of my friends looking bored in the crowd and brought her up on stage to scream in her face. He's very consistent.

teethgrinder
Oct 9, 2002

I kinda dropped out of following music for awhile other than checking into ID:YD once in awhile and catching up, but I was pleased to hear about a new Encephalon album coming out.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=xgHfbkLe0PM
Came here to post this! I love all three preview tracks, but Echos really blew me away. I haven't been this hyped for an album release in ages!

https://encephalon.bandcamp.com/album/echoes

boo_radley
Dec 30, 2005

Politeness costs nothing
covers that were made specifically for this thread

https://youtu.be/4DeRoZFEAb4

a cyborg mug
Mar 8, 2010

Hi thread. I have a sordid tale with a potentially happy ending for you.

I've been trying to go to Project Pitchfork shows for three years now. The last one I successfully attended was in Dresden in 2019.

The next two shows were supposed to happen in Berlin and Hamburg in February 2020. Then Peter Spilles broke his leg and those concerts were cancelled. Well, my German Project Pitchfork fan friends and I proceeded to see A Projection in Berlin and Hamburg instead and had a great time regardless.

The next show was supposed to be in Berlin that same year. Was going to go with a Finnish friend who's never been to Germany. Well, you know what happened then. That concert has been postponed like six times now.

Now I was able to finally book a short trip to Germany this weekend to see all my friends and Pitchfork in Hamburg on Saturday. Yesterday evening they announced that the entire band has the god drat rona and they have to cancel all three shows this week.

Well, life, uh, finds a way. I found a suitable replacement concert - or two, actually. On Friday I'll see Lebanon Hanover in Hamburg. I saw them last week here in Helsinki and really dug them. And on Saturday, instead of Project Pitchfork, I'm making a trip to the neighboring Bremen to see

mother

loving

:supaburn: :woop: S C O O T E R :holy: :hellyeah:

Also I'm moving to Berlin for a year in August and will actually get to use those tickets I bought two years ago :coal:

thotsky
Jun 7, 2005

hot to trot
I saw Lebanon Hanover in Oslo last Friday. They had a lot of trouble with their bass guitar, and the sound is always garbage in this venue, but the vibes were good. They ended on a number with tons of tension that frustrated in the lack of any sort of danceable resolution, but by the end the dude was, like, throat singing and everyone were on board.

a cyborg mug
Mar 8, 2010

I’m gonna assume the last track was Come Kali Come, which is what they closed here. Loved that track. I don’t care much for goth rocky/postpunky stuff but the electronics and drum machines helped a lot. Also the dude has a great presence on stage

thotsky
Jun 7, 2005

hot to trot
Well, Front 242 did not show up to their concert and let supporting acts carry it. Ticketmaster is refusing to issue refunds.

TR/ST just canceled theirs, refunds are going out though. It sucks, I was looking forward to that.

I guess I will go see Guitar Wolf instead.

thotsky fucked around with this message at 11:50 on May 12, 2022

Danger - Octopus!
Apr 20, 2008

Nap Ghost

thotsky posted:

Well, Front 242 did not show up to their concert and let supporting acts carry it. Ticketmaster is refusing to issue refunds.

This is weird, cause as far as I know, all their gigs for this part of the year up until partway through June had been cancelled due to JLdM's illness. Except the posts about his illness and gig cancellations aren't on their facebook any more - but the dates of those gigs that were cancelled have vanished from their website with the next one being 24th June, and the april/may ones that were cancelled not showing up at all.

But I've definitely 100% certainty seen stuff about their Euro gigs for April/May/early June being officially cancelled so not sure what's going on or what fuckery this is if it's not getting through to the gigs themselves

Edit: or local promoters doing something weird and not wanting to cancel, of course idk

Danger - Octopus! fucked around with this message at 17:22 on May 12, 2022

NonzeroCircle
Apr 12, 2010

El Camino
I've been diving into old Rave/hardcore recently and the amount of tracks Scooter have covered is blowing my mind. Not ripoffs or samples but actual covers.
They're utterly ridiculous and not exactly industrial but HP Baxxter has been involved in electronic music since the 80s and I'd love to see them live, it looks so hype(r hyper)

a cyborg mug
Mar 8, 2010

NonzeroCircle posted:

I've been diving into old Rave/hardcore recently and the amount of tracks Scooter have covered is blowing my mind. Not ripoffs or samples but actual covers.
They're utterly ridiculous and not exactly industrial but HP Baxxter has been involved in electronic music since the 80s and I'd love to see them live, it looks so hype(r hyper)

Scooter is astonishingly dumb music but it’s gonna whip so much rear end seeing them live. I have no shame in admitting I love them and have been meaning to catch them live for years but never did until now.

I really enjoyed the track Anastasia on their newest album. They’ve been making club music for ages but to put out such a classy, understated bit of instrumental techno is kinda out of left field for them.

a cyborg mug fucked around with this message at 20:04 on May 12, 2022

thotsky
Jun 7, 2005

hot to trot

Danger - Octopus! posted:

This is weird, cause as far as I know, all their gigs for this part of the year up until partway through June had been cancelled due to JLdM's illness. Except the posts about his illness and gig cancellations aren't on their facebook any more - but the dates of those gigs that were cancelled have vanished from their website with the next one being 24th June, and the april/may ones that were cancelled not showing up at all.

But I've definitely 100% certainty seen stuff about their Euro gigs for April/May/early June being officially cancelled so not sure what's going on or what fuckery this is if it's not getting through to the gigs themselves

Edit: or local promoters doing something weird and not wanting to cancel, of course idk

I checked my tickets like two weeks ago and everything was fine. No email that suddenly the headliner was gone from the gig. I guess it is possible that it could have gone into spam, but you really should cancel a gig altogether and offer refunds if the headliner cannot do it, no questions asked.

Danger - Octopus!
Apr 20, 2008

Nap Ghost

thotsky posted:

I checked my tickets like two weeks ago and everything was fine. No email that suddenly the headliner was gone from the gig. I guess it is possible that it could have gone into spam, but you really should cancel a gig altogether and offer refunds if the headliner cannot do it, no questions asked.

yeah totally, that's really lovely and strange :smith:

thotsky
Jun 7, 2005

hot to trot
The venue TR/ST was playing at did it right. Sent me an SMS, no need to go into ticketmaster and "apply" for a refund like is often required.

Jehde
Apr 21, 2010

I was supposed to see Front 242 a couple weeks ago, but they postponed it and automatically sent me new tickets for october. Guess I just got lucky :shrug:

obeyasia
Sep 21, 2004

Grimey Drawer

thotsky posted:

Wax Trax sold me a F242 Tshirt of the cancelled Spring dates as a collectors item.

SacrificialGoat
Oct 8, 2003

Catjaw is a hero of the people
Anyone in Baltimore seeing FLA on Wednesday?

MassRafTer
May 26, 2001

BAEST MODE!!!
If you told me FLA was going to play a lot of new stuff I would have assumed it wouldn't be much of a show, but that new stuff sounded really cool live, Millennium sounded cooler than ever and they played a really good set. Rein was good too although my expectations were higher. But when you go to a show with someone who has seen FLA live since the Hard Wired tour, doesn't like the new stuff at all and she still has a great time, it must be a good show.

thotsky
Jun 7, 2005

hot to trot
I have tickets for FLA and I would be very happy if all they played was stuff from Millennium and Tactical Neural Implant. Those are my favourite incarnations of the band.

MassRafTer
May 26, 2001

BAEST MODE!!!

thotsky posted:

I have tickets for FLA and I would be very happy if all they played was stuff from Millennium and Tactical Neural Implant. Those are my favourite incarnations of the band.

I would not expect that but I think you will be happy.

Also FLA/Black Asteroid collab track is out

https://post-punk.com/black-asteroi...s0aYseiNr270MZA

Got to briefly meet him last night.

SacrificialGoat
Oct 8, 2003

Front Line Assembly were loving incredible and Rein was shockingly good. SYZYGYX were… uh… present? The vocalist fell over THREE TIMES and tried to play it off as intentional every time

Kaddish
Feb 7, 2002

SacrificialGoat posted:

Front Line Assembly were loving incredible and Rein was shockingly good. SYZYGYX were… uh… present? The vocalist fell over THREE TIMES and tried to play it off as intentional every time

I just went tonight at the Orpheum in Tampa had a completely different reaction. Rein was embarrassingly terrible and the sound overall was really bad but that was probably an Orpheum issue.

Kaddish
Feb 7, 2002
Also, this was my third time seeing FLA - the first was in maybe 1993-ish for the TNI tour. That first show was amazing.

Also also it made me feel old seeing middle-aged folks in Skinny Puppy, Front242, etc shirts. Then I realized I'm that person and we got icecream after the show.

Kaddish fucked around with this message at 23:42 on May 22, 2022

SacrificialGoat
Oct 8, 2003

Kaddish posted:

Also, this was my third time seeing FLA - the first was in maybe 1993-ish for the TNI tour. That first show was amazing.

Also also it made me feel old seeing middle-aged folks in Skinny Puppy, Front242, etc shirts. Then I realized I'm that person and we got icecream after the show.

Oh yeah the audience was super old. I talked to a guy who said he first saw FLA in 1992 and I was 6 years old at the time.

Kaddish
Feb 7, 2002
:mad:

hatelull
Oct 29, 2004

I know there's a Goth-centric thread archived somewhere, but I feel that there would definitely be some bleed over here for Depeche Mode and that a lot of the modern darkwave sound maybe owes something to them? I could be way loving wrong.

Anyway, Andrew "Fletch" Fletcher died.

https://twitter.com/depechemode/status/1529901182562340864/photo/1

These guys were so very much my high school soundtrack. I'm pretty sure Black Celebration never left my tape deck my entire Sophmore year. I got to see them on the Violator and it was EVERYTHING.

RIP.

david_a
Apr 24, 2010

Megamarm
Oh man, RIP.

(pulls up Wikipedia to see if anyone figured out what Fletch actually did in the band)

hatelull
Oct 29, 2004

That's the long running joke (even among the band) for sure. Wilder brought a lot to the table, but when he peaced out after Songs of Faith and Devotion was it really only Gore doing the lion's share of the song writing? Gahan just channels synth pop Elvis and twirls.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

britishbornandbread
Jul 8, 2000

You'll stumble in my footsteps
DM are my favourite band ever. This has absolutely floored me.